AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-25, 02:31   Link #61
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Down under...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It's just sad to hear that there's some people blocking out the F2Pers. Really a shame. I'm willing to play with anyone. It's just for fun yeah?
Considering how people could potentially create free accounts to cheat/grief/do other nasty stuff, I'm not too surprised, though Valve have stated they have ways of finding these kinds of people.
A smaller amount of people also aren't too happy with how much the game has changed, likening the game now as an MMO rather than an FPS.
IMHO, if it weren't for all the updates (been playing since 2007), I probably would have lost interest in this game a long time ago... (I hate Activision)
__________________
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia)

"The world is full of obvious things which
nobody by any chance ever observes."
-
Sherlock Holmes


"Make sure you do a good job with your life's
footprint."
- Kanna Makino
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 02:42   Link #62
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Never thought you'd be able to block F2P players. But yeah I can see it happening if it is possible. How do you tell if someone has a F2P account? I know there is the hat for the paying players but is there some flag or something that points it out?

The training thing is fun, even for someone who's had the game since 2007.

10GB isn't too bad considering how long the game has been out and that other games you can purchase to DL off steam are twice the size of that. Thats with an Australian regional Internet users perspective.

Purchased the new medic stuff, I really like the new medi-gun. The taunt is pretty damn funny too.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 02:43   Link #63
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
A smaller amount of people also aren't too happy with how much the game has changed, likening the game now as an MMO rather than an FPS.
Yeah it's ridiculous sometimes. Some of the silliest excuses I've heard is that TF2 is "not realistic", despite practically no FPS game being realistic, and about the hats being purely cosmetic items.

I like the hats. If there's any goal for one to have in this game other than having a good time playing it, it's crafting and collecting hats.

I also like weapon collecting, but that's just me. Now thanks to this new update I have a whole bunch of new stuff to get.

Quote:
IMHO, if it weren't for all the updates (been playing since 2007), I probably would have lost interest in this game a long time ago... (I hate Activision)
I'm sure a lot of folks could agree with you on that. I can't imagine trying to play the game in it's bare-bones form for 4 years like this. It would get very boring very fast that's for sure.

Probably the main reason why the console versions are incredibly inferior.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 02:44   Link #64
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haramihama
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang Send a message via Skype™ to Mr. Wang
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
IMHO, if it weren't for all the updates (been playing since 2007), I probably would have lost interest in this game a long time ago... (I hate Activision)
Indeed, I agree. I personally think it's great to see after 4 years, that all the fans and the makers of this game are still strong and dedicated towards working on this...

And by the way, I might suggest caution when using the Coaching option. I know there are noble individuals out there who'd be willing to help, but your mileage may vary, on how helpful they are, or (heaven forbid) they're grief-teachers...

And I have also been hearing a lot of bias towards the free-players. Then again, where there is internet gaming, there are those who will have undying hatred for "noobs", otakus, and et cetera, correct? I mean... my Steam name definitely isn't Mr. Wang anymore, I learned a couple lessons from that...

Ah, some things n never really change... Except TF2, we're still going strong
__________________
Mr. Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 03:37   Link #65
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Download time ~ 10 hours. *shrug* Could be worse.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 04:34   Link #66
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Then again, where there is internet gaming, there are those who will have undying hatred for "noobs", otakus, and et cetera, correct? I mean... my Steam name definitely isn't Mr. Wang anymore, I learned a couple lessons from that...

Ah, some things n never really change... Except TF2, we're still going strong
I'd imagine with a name like that you'd get all the 12 yr olds being "funny." I've never had a problem with my name considering the anime reference.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 07:03   Link #67
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Yeah it's ridiculous sometimes. Some of the silliest excuses I've heard is that TF2 is "not realistic", despite practically no FPS game being realistic, and about the hats being purely cosmetic items.
Ermmm, and the fact that the Entire Team Fortress world is pretty unapologeticly insane?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 11:51   Link #68
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Dear god, F2p has really made chat boxes explode, I haven't seen that much achievement spam since I first started playing back in 06, it's nice and all but man sometimes I wish they'll create a way to segregate f2p and premium accounts server side, because a lot of my favorites are always full now and their not filled with the better players. Although premium is not a garuantee of skill it at least means they invested money into the game so tehy might invest in getting better. STill Tf2 goign f2p is cool, the new weapons aer great but OP but still it's fun.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 14:05   Link #69
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 29
Segregating the F2P players from the premium players is pretty silly and in my honest opinion a bit elite'ist as at the end of the day its a game thats meant to be played with others and after all I'm sure there are new players of varying skill who have recently just bought the game (and probably plenty will continue to) so its not like you can filter out those of low skill purely by blocking the F2P players.

Besides I myself am no stranger to FPS's so getting into the flow of it came rather quickly and I can imagine that would be the case with many other people.

I don't really see the griefers and cheaters being much of a problem as you'd have to go and make a whole new email and steam account every time you get banned (assuming they cant somehow ban indefinably) which would get pretty tiresome and I doubt the kind of people who'd grief/cheat would have the patients or commitment to do it over and over.

Anyway downloaded and give it a blast last night as its always been one of those game that I never got around to playing on PC and its pretty enjoyable but I've no idea how the crafting part of it works.

I assume you find items in-game and use them to craft new stuff ? not that I seen any in-game during my time playing it...
__________________

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 14:59   Link #70
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Anyway downloaded and give it a blast last night as its always been one of those game that I never got around to playing on PC and its pretty enjoyable but I've no idea how the crafting part of it works.

I assume you find items in-game and use them to craft new stuff ? not that I seen any in-game during my time playing it...
Yep, just keep playing (it has to be online or in offline practice though) and eventually when you die at some point you'll get a randomly dropped item. It'll either be a class weapon or locked crate. When you upgrade to premium there's also a VERY small chance of you getting a hat through random drop as well.

Weapons can also be unlocked through class achievement milestones, however the difference between random drop items is that they can't be traded and if they're used in crafting, the crafted result can't be traded either.

You need metal most of the time for crafting. You can make scrap metal by smelting two of the same weapon together or smelting 2 weapons from the same class. 3 scrap will make a reclaimed and 3 reclaimed will make a refined. So for one refined metal you will need 9 scrap metal in total.

Just take a look at the list of blueprints in the crafting menu and it should tell you how to make everything.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 02:20   Link #71
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Segregating the F2P players from the premium players is pretty silly and in my honest opinion a bit elite'ist as at the end of the day its a game thats meant to be played with others and after all I'm sure there are new players of varying skill who have recently just bought the game (and probably plenty will continue to) so its not like you can filter out those of low skill purely by blocking the F2P players.

Besides I myself am no stranger to FPS's so getting into the flow of it came rather quickly and I can imagine that would be the case with many other people.

I don't really see the griefers and cheaters being much of a problem as you'd have to go and make a whole new email and steam account every time you get banned (assuming they cant somehow ban indefinably) which would get pretty tiresome and I doubt the kind of people who'd grief/cheat would have the patients or commitment to do it over and over.

Anyway downloaded and give it a blast last night as its always been one of those game that I never got around to playing on PC and its pretty enjoyable but I've no idea how the crafting part of it works.

I assume you find items in-game and use them to craft new stuff ? not that I seen any in-game during my time playing it...
I don't care if you consider it Elitist, that's what PC gaming has been about forever, we don't like you? Ban/Kick We don't want to play with you? Password protect? Your ping too high? Bye. Your skill level causing the game and competition in the server to detrioriate? Bye. If this was valve's servers then fine, but as long as these are private servers not hosted by valve we should be allowed to do what we want.

Also today played with a hacker with a freemium account, guess what? IP Banned, and kicked, that's how it is, they will grief and ruin your fun and so why deal with it. Anyway i don't care about this "elitist" bs because no where are you given the right to play on any server, you are granted the privledge to play on a server and you have no rights. That's how it is.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 03:32   Link #72
drsypher
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
When you upgrade to premium there's also a VERY small chance of you getting a hat through random drop as well..
I understand that it's probably still very small, but did they change the hat/aesthetic item drop rate to be a bit higher? I'm wondering because it's either that or I and quite a few people on the servers I've played in got really lucky since the update.

As for the new players, I actually welcome them. I don't really care about skill level because I'm not too good myself, and also because everyone has to start off somewhere anyway, right? If no one lets them play, they can't get better. I also like to play on populated servers rather than empty ones so to see some of my favorite servers go from mildly populated to almost full even late at night makes glad.
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 10:08   Link #73
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 29
I really don't see where your coming from Nosauz we're discussing people blocking out F2P players purely because they're F2P players and not for any of the reasons you gave above.

I'm not deputing that F2P players should be allowed to play anywhere I just think its silly to assume they're all lag ridden, low skilled griefer/hackers since I'm sure there are plenty of premium player that fall into those category as well.

Also SilverSyko thanks for the heads up on crafting.
__________________

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 10:55   Link #74
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I really don't see where your coming from Nosauz we're discussing people blocking out F2P players purely because they're F2P players and not for any of the reasons you gave above.

I'm not deputing that F2P players should be allowed to play anywhere I just think its silly to assume they're all lag ridden, low skilled griefer/hackers since I'm sure there are plenty of premium player that fall into those category as well.

Also SilverSyko thanks for the heads up on crafting.
It's probability of the quality player, the percentage of F2P players who are bad, or willing to ruin your game just for the "lulz" is higher than those that have invested some financial amount, infinitely in fact and that is why we should filter them. If your willing to spend money or some monetary amount on it, means that you in some way "value" the game, your more inclined to play well etc, etc, sure it doesn't change the baddies into pros but most of the time if something is free people tend to develop entitlement issues and are unwilling to do things even if their wrong.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 12:17   Link #75
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 29
I can see your point however in fairness F2P player can still invest a financial amount too through the mann co store (which is pricey in itself).

Still with the amount of servers out there particularly valves I doubt finding a game will be difficult.
__________________

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 14:01   Link #76
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsypher View Post
I understand that it's probably still very small, but did they change the hat/aesthetic item drop rate to be a bit higher? I'm wondering because it's either that or I and quite a few people on the servers I've played in got really lucky since the update.
There hasn't been any changes to the item drop system for a while, aside from some double-drop rate weeks. I think it's like you said, those folks just got very lucky. The drop rate for hats I believe is 4% for premium players and 0% for free players.

Only for 10 hours of gameplay a week will the game yield any dropped items. After those 10 hours are up, no more items will drop until the next week. It resets around Thursday/Friday. If you don't manage to play 10 hours one week, any remaining hours you have will stack up with the next week's hours. (i.e. Play for 6 hours one week and have 4 hours remaining, so the next week will have 14 hours of item drop time)

Crates don't count towards the dropped items limit. The average for anyone is about 7 to 12 items a week.

For the past 6 months I've been playing, I've only received 2 hats through random drop. Just an example of how often you'd get one through this method. All my others are either promotional or made through crafting.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 14:41   Link #77
drsypher
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Only for 10 hours of gameplay a week will the game yield any dropped items. After those 10 hours are up, no more items will drop until the next week. It resets around Thursday/Friday. If you don't manage to play 10 hours one week, any remaining hours you have will stack up with the next week's hours. (i.e. Play for 6 hours one week and have 4 hours remaining, so the next week will have 14 hours of item drop time)
Ah, so that's how that works. Thanks, I've been wondering about that for a while now. Good to know!
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 18:28   Link #78
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
What is this talk of pros...as far as I know no one is getting paid to play TF2.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 18:39   Link #79
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Hmm, that's interesting about the crates. Is there a cap to the cumulative drop time?

Can create your own TF2 server right? I've never looked or tried (been thinking about it though) but you could set one up to/or play with just your friends if you were so inclined. I have a couple friends I play with, we jump on Vent and co-ordinate in that mostly. If you have a couple people working together you can get the average round over and won in quite the short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
What is this talk of pros...as far as I know no one is getting paid to play TF2.
Oh I wouldn't be surprised if they were. If people get paid to play WoW. A highly competitive FPS seems like prime ground for it. I could see some competition servers solely setup for that. Heck you could even get advertising happening too with the personal 'tags' players can use.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 20:47   Link #80
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
I used to ring for a clan, that played for money, they were pros but the money hasn't been as good as use to be. There are pros, but they seem to be playing CSS. Anyway once you buy crap your account isn't F2P anymore, you get a hat that says proof of purchase, I mean once you've invested then yea it's fine, but people with just the free accounts, well there will be a autokicker for them.

You can run the server client, but it's nearly impossible to host and play on the same computer.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.