AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-02, 22:46   Link #3221
Leave The Pieces
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
@IkuzeMinna

I'll PM you my response to this seeing as it's only the two of us talking about Gundam Wing and realism. Especially cuz my response is quite lengthy.

Quote:
To be more clear about it, while there was nothing in the series to make me believe that Duo and Wu Fei would become bosom buddies, there was also nothing to make me believe otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
That's essentially what this entire debate boils down to for the most part. I disagree with your last sentence but no amount of debate is going to make you feel differently.
THESE. Which is why I didn't want to call it a debate in the first place, just a discussion (I like to think there's a difference). Because both sides (or at least my side) never intended to convince the other, or anyone else, otherwise (I'm not saying that you did). I merely stated what I expected and preferred and that they're not exactly ridiculous as I previously explained. It wasn't the case of 'This is how I wanted it to go down, how come you guys don't feel the same when *quote canon, quote canon, quote canon*.'


Quote:
Wu Fei as a PhD and ex-Preventer, teaching at a university...
Although not exactly what I WANT happening (honestly, I still don't know what I want. All I know is that I know what I don't want when I see it lol.) , if this were the case, I honestly wouldn't be surprised and/or complaining like I did.

One thing, though:

Quote:
And have Duo become a real priest, not a bounty hunting gold digger with bratty kids.
You know, even if Duo Jr. were confirmed to be Duo and Hilde's biological son (which would normally make me confidently say: "Who the heck is he taking after? Duo and Hilde weren't brats!!!"), I'm not surprised that he's bratty at all (despite the fact that I think a character like him is another stereotype ). Why? Because there's the chance that it's Hilde's death is the reason why he's being this way. Especially if she is his bio-mum.

Even if she isn't, she still took him in and it's highly likely he got attached to her.
If it wasn't her death that makes him behave like this, maybe it's because no one really knows where he came from? Wasn't he just found by Hilde somewhere? Lord knows what the place he was from is like. It's also that possibility that it was his past environment that influenced his behaviour.

Also, I believe I came up with these theories because I saw some hints. Or maybe I was just seeing things...? Cuz Father Maxwell does apologise to Po's daughter (I'll call her Po's daughter cuz I'm not that bright, I get confused with all these Katherine's) about Duo Jr.'s manners and explain that the kid lost his 'mother' and he had to raise the boy by himself.

But yeah, fingers crossed it's one of these theories. Otherwise, I'll go back to criticising Sumizawa and his stereotype-writing.
Leave The Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 04:24   Link #3222
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post
Because there's the chance that it's Hilde's death is the reason why he's being this way. Especially if she is his bio-mum.

Even if she isn't, she still took him in and it's highly likely he got attached to her.

...Cuz Father Maxwell does apologise Kathy about Duo Jr.'s manners and explain that the kid lost his 'mother' and he had to raise the boy by himself.
This, exactly. I seriously don't get why people keep asking questions that have been answered already as far as why characterization is the way it is, but whatever.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 08:16   Link #3223
allison13
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post

Because there's the chance that it's Hilde's death is the reason why he's being this way. Especially if she is his bio-mum.
Buuut...I thought we didn't know if she was dead or not? Did I miss something again?
allison13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 08:28   Link #3224
Mareike
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Aye, I'm a stubborn one. Sorry.



1. link This should answer everything.

2. Well, the MC-022 story is that Heero was thawed and ordered to kill Relena, Quatrine stole the incomplete suit Prometheus, Heero and Duo Jr. set out to catch her (and Trowa Phobos, too?), they all met in a desert where Snow White and Warlock battled Quatrine's MD Maganacs, Quatrine kissed Trowa P. somewhere in that chapter, Mille and Naina arrived to pick up Quatrine and Prometheus, they all escaped Heero and Duo Jr. somehow and on their (1+2) way back they learned that Wu Fei was fighting enemy suits, namely Epyon and three Virgo IVs. I think Zechs showed up too (?) and to make it a full-blown party Relena somehow ended up in the picture as well.
Yeah... Sorry, that's all I could get from that convoluted mess. If I got anything wrong folks, correct me please.

3. Sorry, no idea. Has Noin been mentioned in the present?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirei View Post
She's with Relena.

Thanks so much for the links! Downloading now.

Based on the short summary above, does that mean that the main characters have now broken into two groups - pro-Relena and anti-Relena?

Pro-Relena: the entire Peacecraft family, Quatrine Winner
Anti-Relena: the rest of the G-boys, Duo Jr.

In which field does the Prevents play in here? Also, please correct me if I'm wrong but only Treize's memories were uploaded to Heero's memory, while only Zechs' are in Relena's memory.

Also, regarding Zechs, does that event involving Quatrine mean that he's returned from his Mars mission with Naina? Has there been anything about Dixneuf?
Mareike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 08:46   Link #3225
Leave The Pieces
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison13 View Post
Buuut...I thought we didn't know if she was dead or not? Did I miss something again?
I don't know... has it been confirmed she's dead, anyone? I didn't mean to confuse you. I was simply trying to be short. So here, let me rephrase that:

There's a chance that it's Hilde's death--if she really is dead, that is--is the reason why Duo Jr. is behaving the way he does.

And even if she weren't dead fo' realz, he still lost her cuz she's been taken hostage or missing or something. Whatever the case is, they're not together anymore.
Leave The Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 09:32   Link #3226
allison13
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post
I don't know... has it been confirmed she's dead, anyone? I didn't mean to confuse you. I was simply trying to be short. So here, let me rephrase that:

There's a chance that it's Hilde's death--if she really is dead, that is--is the reason why Duo Jr. is behaving the way he does.

And even if she weren't dead fo' realz, he still lost her cuz she's been taken hostage or missing or something. Whatever the case is, they're not together anymore.
I didn't think it had been confirmed - but I get what you're saying. There's really any number of reasons why he is the way he is. I honestly am not really bothered by it, it just makes sense in my head. Same with the way Duo turned out - 100% plausible. If the"God of Death" thing didn't imply to some people that he was probably a little less happy than he appeared, I'm not really too sure what would. But, I think that situation has been discussed enough so I'll leave it.

I think this whole story would have been a heck of a lot stranger if everyone went on to lead normal lives. This is a war story. Expect the unexpected, I guess. It seems like people are really getting bothered by a story most of us haven't even read in full yet (that I'm aware of). I was, too, for awhile, but I sort of think that if this story was going the way that everyone would expect it to, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

...And that's all I have to say about that.
allison13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 10:24   Link #3227
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Well, Hilde hasn't been confirmed dead, explicitly, BY NAME, but Father Maxwell said Duo Jr's mother 'died' and Hilde raised Jr and is probably his biological mother, so it isn't much of a stretch. The latest date we see Hilde at is MC0017 NEXT WINTER, which you'll see in Chapter 8; the 'current time' is MC0022 NEXT WINTER. So she could definitely have died between then and now.

By the way, even though I haven't fully finished writing up the various synopses for the chapters that aren't released yet, I did update the Mars Century timeline on the Gundam wiki:
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mars_Century
It should at least give you a gist of what is going on. The other pages that will have the most info are Katherine Winner's, Hilde's, and both Duos', off the top of my head; but I still haven't finished updating the latter 3 yet for Chapter 8.

On another note, REI just created a gallery collecting all of her Wing art from the past year+, including some stuff people without pixiv accounts couldn't see before. Enjoy!
http://oz2union.sokowonantoka.com/gwgallary/index.html
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 14:35   Link #3228
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Babuyan Islands
I need spoilers. NAW.

Well spoilers as to what the frak is happening anyways. In it's correct timeline/events. I've done my research, read everywhere. And I'm still freakin' confuse I'm getting irritated. What the fAK! So hero wokes up, relena wokes up. Quattre and Trowa building gundams. Little sister appears, little trowa appears, main character not a gundam pilot. Dou and Heero on Jedi gundams. This thing needs a manga/anime. SERIOUSLY!!! Not everyone reads novels.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 20:12   Link #3229
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
Not everyone reads novels.
Oh well, deal with it, cupcake.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 20:22   Link #3230
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
lmfao r u srs

See, this is the type of idiot that gets laughed out of the thread.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 22:35   Link #3231
Mareike
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Well, Hilde hasn't been confirmed dead, explicitly, BY NAME, but Father Maxwell said Duo Jr's mother 'died' and Hilde raised Jr and is probably his biological mother, so it isn't much of a stretch. The latest date we see Hilde at is MC0017 NEXT WINTER, which you'll see in Chapter 8; the 'current time' is MC0022 NEXT WINTER. So she could definitely have died between then and now.

By the way, even though I haven't fully finished writing up the various synopses for the chapters that aren't released yet, I did update the Mars Century timeline on the Gundam wiki:
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mars_Century
It should at least give you a gist of what is going on. The other pages that will have the most info are Katherine Winner's, Hilde's, and both Duos', off the top of my head; but I still haven't finished updating the latter 3 yet for Chapter 8.

On another note, REI just created a gallery collecting all of her Wing art from the past year+, including some stuff people without pixiv accounts couldn't see before. Enjoy!
http://oz2union.sokowonantoka.com/gwgallary/index.html
Thank you so much for that update! I've yet to finish downloading everything and scavenge for information (and fail), so being able to find the (short) story thus far on Wiki is such a relief.

I'm really just... wondering why the MC generation has to look exactly/have a similar name to their AC counterparts. Surely there's a way to establish one character's relationship to another or the fact that they're the new gen Duo/Trowa without being Generation Xerox, right?

Last edited by Mareike; 2011-07-04 at 01:53.
Mareike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 06:52   Link #3232
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareike View Post
I'm really just... wondering why the MC generation has to look exactly/have a similar name to their AC counterparts. Surely there's a way to establish one character's relationship to another or the fact that they're the new gen Duo/Trowa without being Generation Xerox, right?
Spoiler for my answer:


You'd think it's one person aging. But nooo, these are all different people. xD
I dunno, I guess it has become a running gag to have people look like each other?
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 10:13   Link #3233
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Spoiler for my answer:


You'd think it's one person aging. But nooo, these are all different people. xD
I dunno, I guess it has become a running gag to have people look like each other?
Honestly, I think it's a matter of... Asagi is just incapable of drawing original characters. As you showed, BT is enough proof of that. You can be a great illustrator and a terrible character designer; design and illustration are entirely different skillsets when it gets down to the purpose of it.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sumisawa asked for it anyway; he's cheesy that way.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 16:21   Link #3234
Verona_Price
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Hi,

Sorry to jump into the middle of your fourm and what not but I found out about frozen teardrop via this fourm about January I think. So I wanted to pop in and say a few things.

One:
Thank you guys so much for chatting on here as much as you do. I'm currently getting emailed chapters of FT via a friend and honestly reading on the computer not only hurts my eyes but makes me extreamly sick. (Thus is why i will not own a Ipad). So when I read the chapter it takes about two weeks, because of work and how much reading long paragraphs on the computer doesn't agree with me.

Point being is I tend to miss alot of things when I read the paragraphs. So when I don't get something I've been going over here to scower the pages to find the answer and most often I do.

Two:
However I'm still confused on somethings in this story, and to admit the things I'm still confused about makes me feel, how should I put this...... like I should be in college because its a pretty simple question with more than likely a simple answer.

Three:
Again thanks. I joined so I could say this to you guys.
Verona_Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 16:36   Link #3235
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
I hope you stay with us and participate in our discussions, Verona Price.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 17:22   Link #3236
Leave The Pieces
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Spoiler for my answer:


You'd think it's one person aging. But nooo, these are all different people. xD
I dunno, I guess it has become a running gag to have people look like each other?

Lol if I were the kind of Wing fan who only knows about the animated materials and nothing else and I saw that strip, I'd be like "Oh, awesome. From left to right, that's 8 year old Heero, 15 year old Heero, 21 year old, 30 year old, 40 year old!" XD Oh well, look at the bright side. When we read fics that have him written at around those ages, it'd be real easy to imagine! Haha.
Leave The Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 04:12   Link #3237
Mareike
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave The Pieces View Post
Lol if I were the kind of Wing fan who only knows about the animated materials and nothing else and I saw that strip, I'd be like "Oh, awesome. From left to right, that's 8 year old Heero, 15 year old Heero, 21 year old, 30 year old, 40 year old!" XD Oh well, look at the bright side. When we read fics that have him written at around those ages, it'd be real easy to imagine! Haha.
And if it weren't for Odin's bangs I'd think Heero's already a father. >_> It's kinda strange how pilot!Heero resembles original!Heero more than Odin. :|

Whoever is responsible for the character design's pretty lazy... *sigh*

Anyway... hi, Verona Price! I'm fairly new here, too.
Mareike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 07:57   Link #3238
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Good news everyone! I got a few donations and I should HOPEFULLY be able to get my copies of Volume.01 and Volume.02 of Frozen Teardrop this month. That is if Amazon doesn't "magically" run out. Har.

In other news, The Glory of Losers is just about done. I'm giving it a run through again. For some reason the flow just isn't there. Not sure if it's me or not.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 08:21   Link #3239
Aldaeus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Behind you.
That's great news! Also I've been following roughly while trying to avoid anything that hasn't been established as common knowledge as to what's happening... basically avoiding spoilers except for things like timeline data and character information... so i'm looking forward to getting to read it Note - (I cannot read Japanese to save my life even though I've been trying to teach myself via several books, Rosetta stone... exct.)

Also... Hi I've been reading but too lazy to post... every time there's a release with more pictures I've been keeping my fingers crossed for images of the suits. I build Gunpla as a hobby and with the releases of the new Endless Waltz Master Grades of the Wing suits, I've been chomping at the bit for pictures showing the suits and more detailed descriptions of what they look like...
Aldaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 13:07   Link #3240
Kitsoru
:3c
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
\o/ Yaaaaaay releases!

And yeah, about the Gunpla releases, I have a feeling that they're going to time the reveal of the new MS with the reveal of their Gunpla, and that it'll be timed for right after they finish releasing the Katoki redesigns of the original ones. Since they've just released the previews of Heavyarms and Sandrock, maybe that means the reveal will come by the turn of the year?
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gundam wing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.