AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-08, 02:45   Link #201
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm hoping I don't end up eating these words Prove me right Ikuhara!
If you doubt Ikuhara, then you'll be doubting the show . I know similar people who did that while Utena was airing, and ended up hating the show.

So happy to hear all these happy comments about the first episode. I shall be watching it myself in a matter of minutes.
Old 2011-07-08, 02:49   Link #202
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Oh, ye of little faith ... wait a minute ...

I once did share the same sort of prediction you just made with another series this year Enzo, but I don't think that this is going to fail. Not by a long shot.

Call me unrealistically optimistic, but at the moment there is not a doubt in my mind that not only is this going to be a glorious experience, but is going to ride on to be the most remembered anime of the year. There is the possibility that it's going to fall under it's own weight, but no matter how many times I try to process that thought, it just doesn't get through.

I'm hoping I don't end up eating these words Prove me right Ikuhara!
I hope he does, too. Did I sound like I was predicting failure? I didn't think I was. My full review is quite positive as well. Believe me, for me the comparison to OER is high praise indeed.

Which series did you predict the same risk, Arabesque? I forgot!
Old 2011-07-08, 03:08   Link #203
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

If Ikuhara betraying my expectation, I wonder who else that I can trust in this industry.
Old 2011-07-08, 03:09   Link #204
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If you doubt Ikuhara, then you'll be doubting the show . I know similar people who did that while Utena was airing, and ended up hating the show.

So happy to hear all these happy comments about the first episode. I shall be watching it myself in a matter of minutes.
Never!

This show has penguins in it it must be good!

But man, most impressive first episode in a year where we had nothing but impressive first episodes. That's how good this show is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I hope he does, too. Did I sound like I was predicting failure? I didn't think I was. My full review is quite positive as well. Believe me, for me the comparison to OER is high praise indeed.
Nah, I know that you also had a very positive reaction to the show(and I know how much you love OER as well ) but there is always the off chance something might go wrong, so I had to add it in

It will be interesting to see just what this series has in store for us, just like you said in your review, since even with an episode with us to watch, we have no idea what this show is going to be about as of now we are still at square one, not sure what's going on, and not sure what's going to happen. If anything, this makes it all the harder to fail; You can't be disappointed with something you had no idea what to expect from it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Which series did you predict the same risk, Arabesque? I forgot!
Madoka Magika . Though to be fair, it was a much safer bet to make considering the staff working on the project were already working recently, so I could make an educated bet on what we would've expected.
Old 2011-07-08, 03:11   Link #205
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

That was the best first episode of the entire year.
Old 2011-07-08, 03:26   Link #206
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Got a question to ask the female posters here...

Does this reminded anyone of the outer packaging of a tampon?

As a male I obviously have limited knowledge of this... It's just a vague recognition on my part.
Old 2011-07-08, 03:38   Link #207
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

No idea what went on in the last 5 minutes, but I quite liked it.
Old 2011-07-08, 03:45   Link #208
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh my god.

This first episode was incredible. It was Ikuhara from start to finish, heck i would have thought i was watching an episode of Utena after seeing some of those camera shots during the first house scene. As for their house, those damn colours! So alive, so beautiful, so fabulous.

We never would have guessed this story set up going by those PV's , which i'm glad about, because i'm totally in love with what we were given straight away. It's gonna be damn interesting to see how it'll progress, and how those characters in the OP will fit into it all.

The score was damn good. We know from Utena that Ikuhara likes his music to bring the very best out of a scene, and it did just that. Especially during that survival strategy scene. So good.

Just the overall look of this first episode was outstanding, and i just it'll keep getting better. I'll always have faith in Ikuhara, so this show is going to be a ride like none other. Well, like Utena.

I'll post more later after i rewatch the episode again, though for now that is hands down the best first episode i have watched in a long damn time.
Old 2011-07-08, 03:57   Link #209
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Madoka Magika . Though to be fair, it was a much safer bet to make considering the staff working on the project were already working recently, so I could make an educated bet on what we would've expected.
I thought of Madoka Magica too, in the sense of this being a show of big talents that could take on a quasi-religious following. But the more I thought of it the less I think it holds, not just for the reasons that you suggest but because MM was a true melding of several giants in the industry. MPD does have Lily Hoshino's character designs but really, this is a one-man show. It's Ikuhara's mad vision and it's on him whether it succeeds or crashes like a meteor with all the fires of hell.

I think Blood-C is actually a closer comparison to MM in some ways. Some big hitters in the industry trying to meld styles that don't immediately seem 100% compatible.
Old 2011-07-08, 04:49   Link #210
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was FANTASTIC. Best first episode of the season, no, the year! The artistic direction is beautiful, I love the vibrant color palette. The directing was very... Ikuhara, so awesome. I liked the transitions between scenes.

The characters feel very alive and natural (basically the complete opposite of Blood-C), and are therefore incredibly endearing. I loved the siblings' interactions, there was real chemistry here.

The transformation sequence was FABULOUS. I have to say, Himari looks pretty hot.

I can't wait too see next week's episode, especially after that "cliffhanger". I only just found out it'll be 24 episodes long; awesome!
Old 2011-07-08, 05:58   Link #211
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Are there really enough men in Japan in love with their own sisters that it supports this anime trope, or is the whole brother sexually in love with one's sister just a fringe otaku thing? I know, I know, different cultures, blah blah, and I've long ago become used to just about anything anime has thrown in my face, but I've always wondered how much of what we see in anime reflects parts of Japanese society.
the same thought came to my mind after i finished watching it. it seems to be an accepted common theme in the japanese anime and manga industry nowadays, but how much of it is true when one knows nothing about japanese culture in japan really does cross a persons mind. i honestly thought this show can do without the incest theme unless it is a huge part of the overall plot relating to the penguins which is unlikely.

the first episode caught my attention and then one of the brothers trying to kiss his sister personally turned me off. i'm not a really big fan of stories involving incest with its plot. i'll spend my free time doing something else depending how episode 2 is presented next week.

Last edited by iceyfw; 2011-07-08 at 06:11.
Old 2011-07-08, 06:05   Link #212
ZODDGUTS

Spoiler most people likely missed it, including me:

Spoiler for Family Photo:
Old 2011-07-08, 07:17   Link #213
Fnights
Yoku dekimashita!

Weird beginning and a bit anticlimatic cause the penguins that i find out fo place and ruin the drama, but whatever, i will continue to watch more for curiosity.
Old 2011-07-08, 09:01   Link #214
Moci
just an ordinary alien...

Send a message via MSN to Moci
The first ep was really awesome. I also found odd the penguins, but i don't care lol.
And that transformation... i'm sold.

Best show of the season?
Old 2011-07-08, 09:07   Link #215
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-07-08, 09:16   Link #216
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
i honestly thought this show can do without the incest theme unless it is a huge part of the overall plot relating to the penguins which is unlikely.
It's Ikuhara we are talking about. Incest is a theme that he is particularly fond of.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)

Last edited by Solace; 2011-07-08 at 22:05. Reason: We can do without the Utena spoilers, thanks.
Old 2011-07-08, 09:31   Link #217
Kakkou
Tch.

Went in with hardly any information and unsure of what to expect, came out completely awestruck and eyes wide open. What a fantastic start. The Survival Strategy scene in particular was so bizarre, but in such an enjoyable way. The penguins are so adorable too. Still no idea where this is goi9ng, but I'm very gladly willing to let the show blindly string me along.
Old 2011-07-08, 10:14   Link #218
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Not the best first episode of the year, but certainly a candidate for the best show of the season. Still have a few more shows that hasn't been aired, so I'd have to wait on my judgement till next episode. But yeah, was blown away by the art direction with this one.

Really intrigued by the girl in the other school though. What role could she possibly have in the series when it seems everything is tied to the family?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-07-08, 11:37   Link #219
zero7090

Quote:
If there really is an existence worthy of being called a God, I want to ask him just one thing: "Is there really fate in the universe? If a man ignored the fate, and ignored his instinct and DNA to love someone else. Dear God, is he really human?"
Oh my, truly words of siscon

I hope this show will be overloaded by the fanservice and turn out to be some copy cat of aki-sora, kissxsis or so on. The transform scene in the end really scared me a little.

Except that all i have to say is FABULOUS
Old 2011-07-08, 12:09   Link #220
Blaat

Oh my god, that was so incredible. It didn't take long before the episode screamed Ikuhara to me, it's so obviously his work. At some point I was thinking that the only thing missing is an awesome but weird insert song with some great animation and than that actually happened around 19th minute mark.

I really don't want to wait a week for the next episode.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism