AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-15, 14:57   Link #441
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Seconding Kanon, I thought that the Utena look a like was a girl too!
My sense says male, so i'll go with that for now.

Also the penguin logo is everywhere. I rewatched the first episode a large number of times, and you spot it in such strange places.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:11   Link #442
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Still not quite sure what I watched...

Oh, well.

Say what you want about Kan's incestuous obsession, at least he gets things done. Sho, OTOH, is a goddamn whiner. They got off incredibly easy compared to Kyuubei's girls, and he's going to complain about a fetch quest and a little voyeurism?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:19   Link #443
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Brilliant! The presentation is so surreal and absurd... I love it

Just a couple of things to note, is it me or at the end of the first episode Himari ripped out Kan's heart? And I keep hearing PINK drum instead of PENGUIN drum!?
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:25   Link #444
Faerie
10% but stupid as toast
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
I think I love this show

The penguins are one of the most awesome parts- I will never underestimate a penguin again, that's for sure...

I'm not sure what Himari /the possessed hat ripped out of Kan, it was clearly reminiscent of Utena, but for now I think there can only be speculation- his dna-destined program, his human restrictions, I can only guess...?

That said, I appreciated the Yuri-lookalike in the OP, and I'm also pretty sure the Utena/ Lacus lookalike is a guy.
Faerie is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:26   Link #445
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
These penguins are so useless much fun.

I don't know about other people, but as someone who has watched many shoujos, I don't mind the art style at all, and in fact I love it. So fabulous.

The plot seems to be focused a lot on fate, and how each character deals with the cards they are dealt in life. I expect to see a lot of crazy things in this story.

But we'll see. Episode wasn't as fantastic as last weeks, but still thoroughly enjoyable for me .
Reckoner is online now  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:27   Link #446
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Haha, no.2 is my favorite as well. I'm definitely getting an avy of him spraying the cockroach when I have the chance (actually, anyone so kind as making one for me, I'll be soo grateful for you!).
I wish I could have a pet penguin to kill cockroaches for me, I am terrified of those things.

Although I wonder if those penguins will stay so helpful throughout the series.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:35   Link #447
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Say what you want about Kan's incestuous obsession, at least he gets things done. Sho, OTOH, is a goddamn whiner. They got off incredibly easy compared to Kyuubei's girls, and he's going to complain about a fetch quest and a little voyeurism?
He's just out of his element. It's not only the moral issue of stalking the girls, but the whole thing with the crazy penguin chick and the penguindrum seems like some weird shit he just can't accept. Unlike his brother, he's too down to earth for all that crazy fantasy stuff, and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's probably a good thing if you think about it.

At any rate, he'll get used to it. And maybe, in turn, his brother will start to be a bit more wary of the situation. Kanba seems a little too accepting of all this weird stuff, and to me that's bigger problem that Shoma whining a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Just a couple of things to note, is it me or at the end of the first episode Himari ripped out Kan's heart? And I keep hearing PINK drum instead of PENGUIN drum!?
Because it's really not penguindrum, but pengudrum, as that's the way it's written in Japanese.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:38   Link #448
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Because it's really not penguindrum, but pengudrum, as that's the way it's written in Japanese.
God damned subbers, always trying to confuse me
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:39   Link #449
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't know about other people, but as someone who has watched many shoujos, I don't mind the art style at all, and in fact I love it. So fabulous.
I read a number of Lily's works after it was announced that she would be doing the character designs for the show, and let me just say that she is easily one of my favourites.

Sure she writes 95% yaoi works, but i can ready anything for the art.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:42   Link #450
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
He's just out of his element. It's not only the moral issue of stalking the girls, but the whole thing with the crazy penguin chick and the penguindrum seems like some weird shit he just can't accept. Unlike his brother, he's too down to earth for all that crazy fantasy stuff, and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's probably a good thing if you think about it.

At any rate, he'll get used to it. And maybe, in turn, his brother will start to be a bit more wary of the situation. Kanba seems a little too accepting of all this weird stuff, and to me that's bigger problem that Shoma whining a bit.
You know what's weird? That Himari's alive.So how about he counts his blessings?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 16:54   Link #451
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You know what's weird? That Himari's alive.So how about he counts his blessings?
But that's the point: Himari shouldn't be alive! And even though Shoma is truly happy about it, he can't help to think there's something wrong with it. And that's a good thing, because there is something wrong with it! Or what do you think all those references to the Night On The Milky Way Train are there for? I mean, we're talking about a novel which has "coming to terms with a loved one's death" as a freaking main theme, and that's totally opposite to the premise of this show. Don't you think referencing a novel that goes against the series' premise is a little strange? Don't you think it might be a clue that Shoma's doubts about this whole thing are somewhat justified???
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 17:13   Link #452
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep 1:
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 17:34   Link #453
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Okay, done reading the thread. Just a little something here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Okay...your entire post is just agreeing with what I said about homosexuality being "unnatural", which of course implies that most of the population will not develop homosexual preferences. I was obviously speaking in hypotheticals when I was pointing out what would happen if half of the population became homosexual. My point was that, on a large scale, homosexuality is bad for survival. But, that's not exclusively what I meant. I was trying to point towards the fact that homosexuality, being bad for survival and unnatural, goes against fate, just like loving your sister.

Talking in terms of "what if science found a way" is a bit superfluous since there has been absolutely nothing to suggest that's even being considered here yet. By "nothing" I mean I see no symbolism or dialogue that points towards making "unnatural things natural" as being a theme of the story. Indeed, it directly contradicts what has been presented so far, which appears to be a debate between the natural and unnatural. To turn something unnatural into something natural would completely defeat the purpose. Bottom line is that homosexuality does not allow for reproduction and is thus bad for survival; if not on a large scale then on a personal scale because your own genes won't be passed on. Just saying they can be sanctioned off won't end the debate, although I agree that it's impossible for them to realistically harm society because it is, again, unnatural and goes against basic human programming in the first place. Which is why they would represent the opposing force to "fate", along with other unnatural things.

...lol, I can't believe this anime is leading to this level of discussion...Ikuhara is a pro troll. Now, where do Penguins fit in all this?

EDIT: Okay, after thinking about it a bit, I can see how Ringo loving the teacher can be seen as bending "natural things into the unnatural", so you can take that as some indication of turning natural things unnatural as a theme of the story, but I've seen no evidence for the vice versa yet. In some ways it also contradicts Ringo's belief in fate, as her loving an older man is unnatural. This might be saying that fate is not certain and even those who want to believe in it can end up deviating from it...but then Ringo is supposed to represent the idea of fate itself, so for her to contradict it is just...ughh IKUHARA.
Guy, there's been a tremendous number of examples referenced in this thread already about how homosexuality occurs naturally and is used as a survival strategy in many animal populations. To call somebody's sexual desires 'unnatural' is pretty much dead wrong--after all, sex is just about the most natural thing you can get, in the end, up there with mastication and shitting. Ultimately, everything about sex and lust really does come down to biology--an expression of our animal selves; so I think you can get off your high-horse about how 'unnatural' these other expressions of sex might be.

Moving on, to get back to the speculation I mentioned just a bit earlier--that the 'survival strategy' in this show may not necessarily be reproduction oriented, but rather about the survival of a species as a whole: I've got a bit more here.

So, I've been thinking about what the show could mean by "the destination of your fate". lol, totally vague, right? Random symbolism or a string of words which could refer to anything and which we'll hardly figure out anything until the end, in all likelihood! This is just something I throwing out there, i.e. the obvious, but: "the destination of your fate" might refer to death, or in a more global context, extinction. After all, that is truly the final 'fate' of everything, isn't it? So, in that case "I come from the destination of your fate" might thus inform us that the Penguins come from a place where they are facing death/extinction, and that this is the eventual destiny of Kanba/Shouma/Himari? too. The Penguins have come to initiate a 'Survival Strategy' which will somehow allow them to get around their destiny, and the Penguin Drum is some sort of key. ("drum"? A container of some sort? You could probably fit a penguin inside something of moderate sizing but it could also be for something more progenital).

Alternative explanation: the way "Fate" is used in the various monologues, it almost sounds like it refers exclusively to a person's lover. I.e. your "destined one" is your fate itself, so that to love someone forbidden (a family member, a member of the same sex) would be to make you 'fateless'. I'm riffing off the implications prevalent in Ringo and Kanba's perspectives on fate here, in which case the Crystal Princess's "I come from the destination of your fate" line would be indicating that she comes from the place of your destined lover. "Survival Strategy" would then be the initiative to bring you together with that person, which has a pretty obvious link with the red string symbolism (lol, this is just brainspew, but wow: that's looking pretty convincing to even myself really :P). The Penguin Drum, if we can safely take Ringo's notebook from the end of episode 2 to have something to do with it, seems to somehow be connected to fate or destiny itself. If we try to combine the reproductive implications of 'survival strategy' with the "key" of Fate as it currently seems with the Penguindrum, it really does seem like the point of the strategy might be able uniting you with your loved one of destiny.

I like the clarification some of you guys have provided about the train symbolism and Night on the Galactic Railroad; I'm not familiar with that work myself, so it's rather enlightening. The phrase "destination of your fate" takes on a bit more meaning given that metaphor, so I'll have to work that somewhere in eventually.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-07-15 at 19:30.
Sol Falling is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 17:56   Link #454
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Spoiler for Episode 2:


I thought that this episode was great, not as awe inspiring as the first, but I still glued to the screen, and is still wanting to rewatch it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
While episode 2 wasn't as mind-blowing as the first one, I thought it was still fantastic. Easily the funniest anime I've watched all year.
Really? Not saying this show isn't fun to watch and has great humor, but I wouldn't say it's the funniest this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Spoiler for :
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Spoiler for :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:
My guess it was the penguins being those trash cans while stalking Himari and Sho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's not that unusual for fancy toilets in Japan to come with bidets. See wikipedia for details.
I never understand why there has to be so many buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Really?
I know she turned out to be weird, but that is about it. The sister herself's personality isn't exactly "abnormal" nor are the brothers.
Well ... Sho is more normal I guess and Himari ... I guess being a possessed zombie doesn't factor in but Kanba ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This was a much sillier episode, but Ringo certainly took it to a very dark place at the very end - somewhat shocking tone shift there. I still think this is a fascinating mess more than a classic at this point, but it grabs your attention like few other shows can.
I can sort of understand your view by saying that it feels more like a mess now (though I don't agree) since you did once compare the show with FLCL.

That being said, I don't think mess would be an accurate way to describe it, since the show clearly had much thought gone into making it. In these two episodes, I don't think I've seen it more made out of things that look cool for the sake of looking cool as much as being carefully placed an made (to look meaningful and cool)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
My favorite scene in episode two

Spoiler for large image:



Anyways I love how the penguins seem to have the personality of their "owners". No. 2 is my favorite, actually he is probably my favorite character overall so far.
My favorite part of the episode

Kanba's penguin through and through. Spread girl legs open and stares at their panties without flinching

It's clear that penguins reflect some part of their owners personality yeah. No.2 is a clean freak (apparently his gag is spraying bug spray) while No.1 is the cool pervert (oxymoronic, or the plain truth?) while No.3 is the ... fashionable one I suppose

Spoiler for Novel spoiler:
__________________
Arabesque is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 17:58   Link #455
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
He's just out of his element. It's not only the moral issue of stalking the girls, but the whole thing with the crazy penguin chick and the penguindrum seems like some weird shit he just can't accept. Unlike his brother, he's too down to earth for all that crazy fantasy stuff, and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's probably a good thing if you think about it.

At any rate, he'll get used to it. And maybe, in turn, his brother will start to be a bit more wary of the situation. Kanba seems a little too accepting of all this weird stuff, and to me that's bigger problem that Shoma whining a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But that's the point: Himari shouldn't be alive! And even though Shoma is truly happy about it, he can't help to think there's something wrong with it. And that's a good thing, because there is something wrong with it! Or what do you think all those references to the Night On The Milky Way Train are there for? I mean, we're talking about a novel which has "coming to terms with a loved one's death" as a freaking main theme, and that's totally opposite to the premise of this show. Don't you think referencing a novel that goes against the series' premise is a little strange? Don't you think it might be a clue that Shoma's doubts about this whole thing are somewhat justified???
I don't think Kanba's "too accepting"; he's simply eager to do absolutely anything to keep Himari alive, whatever it takes. This ultimately seems in line with his intensely repressed sexual desire for Himari, if we're right about that. Kanba's the one who thinks he is going against fate to the extent that he might even be un-human, so essentially it makes sense that he might be a person who will discard all remaining reservations.

Shou, by contrast, indeed does seem like he is more concerned with "how messed up this all is". In his opening monologue, he basically complains about how fate isn't fair--and it's also in his voice that we hear about, from the future, how things will be terrible and they'll come to regret the price they paid. Kanba is simply willing to pay anything--because for him, Himari is above everything else. Shou, compared to how he first felt in ep. 1's monologue, might eventually come to 'accept fate' and stop Kanba, telling him to accept Himari's passing. However, for the moment, since Shou and Kanba don't actually know anything bad's happening, I agree with Anh Minh that Kanba comes off as a much more powerful and competent character (seriously--they're twins?! Kanba seemed to me like he was ages ahead in terms of maturity).
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 30/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 80/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 18:08   Link #456
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I like the clarification some of you guys have provided about the train symbolism and Night on the Galactic Railroad; I'm not familiar with that work myself, so it's rather enlightening. The phrase "destination of your fate" takes on a bit more meaning given that metaphor, so I'll have to work that somewhere in eventually.
I wasn't familiar with the work either, so reading the view point of someone who is, was interesting.

http://altairandvega.wordpress.com/2...m-episode-1-4/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I agree with Anh Minh that Kanba comes off as a much more powerful and competent character (seriously--they're twins?! Kanba seemed to me like he was ages ahead in terms of maturity).
I agree with all that you wrote up to this point. Yes, Kanba did come across as being more competent this episode, but I thought because it had more to do with how far he was willing to go for his sister so he was more outgoing in what needed to be done and the situation needing more use of his ''abilities'' so he came out looking ''better''.

That being said, I like Sho more. Sure, the guy a bit of a wuss, but he does have his good points (being closer to Himari, taking a more active role in her raising).

Also, twins don't always come having the same personality
__________________
Arabesque is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 18:47   Link #457
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You know what's weird? That Himari's alive.So how about he counts his blessings?
He wish it was a blessing. But the fact is they were giving this "reward" for a price they did not even know of.

It's like someone giving me a million dollars and say "on, by the way, accepting this money means you need to do something for me. I will tell you want it is later".

Himari's new life isn't free. The worst thing is we don't actually know what the price is going to be, and that's scary. Especially since her continued existence needs to be maintained... This means at any time, Himari can become dead again if the Princess is so inclined.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 20:44   Link #458
karuroso
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
lol What a surprise! i thought that girl would be Shouma love interest by the way se was showed on the first ep, but for her to be their teacher's stalker.... very misleading the impression I had
karuroso is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 21:29   Link #459
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Shou, by contrast, indeed does seem like he is more concerned with "how messed up this all is". In his opening monologue, he basically complains about how fate isn't fair--and it's also in his voice that we hear about, from the future, how things will be terrible and they'll come to regret the price they paid. Kanba is simply willing to pay anything--because for him, Himari is above everything else. Shou, compared to how he first felt in ep. 1's monologue, might eventually come to 'accept fate' and stop Kanba, telling him to accept Himari's passing.
So... it's more of a matter of not wanting to pay the price rather than "accepting fate".
maplehurry is offline  
Old 2011-07-15, 21:54   Link #460
8thSin
Junior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Just a couple of things to note, is it me or at the end of the first episode Himari ripped out Kan's heart? And I keep hearing PINK drum instead of PENGUIN drum!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Because it's really not penguindrum, but pengudrum, as that's the way it's written in Japanese.
It's actually written in Japanese as "Pingdrum (Pingudrum)", but the official English title says "Penguindrum".

We went with "Penguin Drum" because the editor said screw them Engrish made up words.

BTW, "Mawaru (spin)" part is also written illegally as 「輪る」, which is wheel/cycle. In fact, the title was frequently written as 「廻るピングドラム」 online before it started to show in TV guides. I would say the best translation for the line is "Revolving Penguin Drum" rather than "Spinning" for "Mawaru" because of kanji.

Some 2ch speculators say the title is actually "Warping Drum", since that kanji also reads as "Wa", but we'll have to see what happens in following eps to determine if that's the case.

Last edited by 8thSin; 2011-07-15 at 22:15.
8thSin is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.