AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-17, 04:47   Link #14861
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Predicting someone kills her in the next month or so.
If it happen, it's more lkely to happen sooner than later, given the public's short memory ( for not saying lack of memory )...
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 09:09   Link #14862
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Ehhhh, Taiwan is a bit more complicated then that. I mean both sides agree that China owns it. It's just that they disagree on what the legitimate government is...
Actually a significant population don't agree that they belong to part of China since Chiang Kai Shek fled there after being ousted. The underlying tone is that they always wanted self-governance or independence, but China lays a hard claim to that stretch of land because of its trade port; if China controls Taiwan, it has the perpetual monopoly of the entire trade route above Japan and towards US, giving them a claim of territory that would hurt the US's attempts at power projection in that area as well as strong shipping controls against US.

This would spell a problem for countries on good terms with US in Southeast Asia (practically most of us in fact, maybe other than Vietnam, Cambodia and Burma) and give Japan a hell lot of political trouble in their fishing areas and industries.

US uses their influence and the Seventh Fleet to ward off China's military so as to have some political control in South China Sea. China is countering that with their upcoming spy satellites which are potentially more advanced than US's, as well as their aircraft carriers. And a number of countries prefer to have political ties to US than to China because they have got a market that is less controlled by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
If you honestly think that will happen you need to learn a lot more about US politics. Historically speaking, the current political bickering is only slightly worse than average.
I was being sarcastic about the worst case scenario.

I don't think the time when Reaganomics was introduced in the 1980s, the debt situation wasn't as bad, nor the inflation rate hit over 10%. The problem now is that there isn't a viable plan underway to attempt to repay the debt; US keeps spiraling into the double deficit cycles over and over again in the past 10 years.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 09:59   Link #14863
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Rebekah Brooks arrested by hacking police

This is an intriguing development.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 10:53   Link #14864
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Egyptians fear army rulers acting as new Mubaraks
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-17-11-47-02
I would say than it a logical fear, if such thing is possible.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 11:11   Link #14865
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Egyptians fear army rulers acting as new Mubaraks
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-17-11-47-02
I would say than it a logical fear, if such thing is possible.
Back in Libya, France was asking the rebels to speak to Gaddafi.

Seriously, that is disgusting. It is no different from being a turncoat. The Libyan rebels aren't fighting to get Gaddafi to talk to them, they are fighting to get Gaddafi out because he is screwing up their futures and forcibly oppressing them.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 13:09   Link #14866
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
NASA probe Dawn is now in orbit of the asteroid Vesta.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43785385...iant-asteroid/

I half expect some strange Sailor Vesta images after this from Japan.

also...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43785525/?gt1=43001

Space Shuttle Atlantis' crew getting ready to come home later in the week.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 15:33   Link #14867
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Egyptians fear army rulers acting as new Mubaraks
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-17-11-47-02
I would say than it a logical fear, if such thing is possible.
I don't know why they even expected change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Back in Libya, France was asking the rebels to speak to Gaddafi.

Seriously, that is disgusting. It is no different from being a turncoat. The Libyan rebels aren't fighting to get Gaddafi to talk to them, they are fighting to get Gaddafi out because he is screwing up their futures and forcibly oppressing them.
I'm tempted to say that if so, they should have fought harder - we were never going to do the job for them.

But really:
- the official line is still that Gaddafi has to step down.
- we've recognized the rebels as Libya's official government.
- I don't think we've stopped bombing them.
- A day or so after his son talked about France's diplomatic effort, Gaddafi cursed Sarkozy out. Has he called your head of state a crazy man who needs to be exiled? A retard? A war criminal?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 16:44   Link #14868
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Bloody hell, this is the kind of implosive stuff I was wondering would start bubbling up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/wo.../17police.html

Not just a newspaper that used to be respected before Murdoch but now an agency of the government - Scotland Yard - is now spiraling into the mud as the light is shone on the revolving door between the Murdoch operations and the government crime investigation unit.
Follow up (for those that think this is "get the Murdoch" spin)...

Scotland Yard Chief resigns over Murdoch scandal revelations of infiltration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/wo...18hacking.html
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 17:16   Link #14869
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Follow up (for those that think this is "get the Murdoch" spin)...

Scotland Yard Chief resigns over Murdoch scandal revelations of infiltration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/wo...18hacking.html
Aye, this is almost as bad for the police and government of the UK as for News Corp. A lot of powerful people associated closely with them. Cameron in particular has been navigating a mine field, and actually has come out well, all things considered.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 21:46   Link #14870
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Inflation-hit Chinese go abroad to shop
http://blogs.reuters.com/george-chen...broad-to-shop/
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 22:47   Link #14871
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Inflation-hit Chinese go abroad to shop
http://blogs.reuters.com/george-chen...broad-to-shop/
Eh. For about five or six years now my relatives in China always sent a list of brand names that they'd like us to help buy for them here when they hear a relative is going back to visit China because of the exorbitant luxury goods tax over there. It's pretty much been the norm for what you can see in all the Chinese expat communities who can afford to spend the money.
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 06:58   Link #14872
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
A social media game with Arab super heroes at its heart has been launched on Facebook.

What caught my eye wasn't the story but this.


Anyone has an idea what's the name of the comic in that pic?
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 07:33   Link #14873
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Police "gun down" rioters in China's Xinjiang, at least 4 dead
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76H1G720110718
Quote:
(Reuters) - Police in western China's restive Xinjiang on Monday "gunned down" several rioters who attacked a police station and killed at least four people, though an exile group said the incident started when police fired on peaceful protesters.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 13:57   Link #14874
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Follow up (for those that think this is "get the Murdoch" spin)...

Scotland Yard Chief resigns over Murdoch scandal revelations of infiltration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/wo...18hacking.html
And now a rather more sinister twist:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14194623
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 14:11   Link #14875
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And now a rather more sinister twist:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14194623
I can't believe it's not being treated as suspicious given the recent circumstances. I'm not gonna call murder on this just yet but I wouldn't just think it a coincidence that he died shortly after the scandal was revealed.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 18:11   Link #14876
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I can't believe it's not being treated as suspicious given the recent circumstances. I'm not gonna call murder on this just yet but I wouldn't just think it a coincidence that he died shortly after the scandal was revealed.
Yea, I smell murder. Kill the guy who knows something. If you've ever played the game "mafia"; and you're on the "mafia" side, then you go kill the guy who "knows something".
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 18:23   Link #14877
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Nah.. he just tripped and fell on his entire collection of cutlery that he had laid out to admire... happens all the time. (fact interrupt -- no facts are available at time of post)
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 19:10   Link #14878
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
A social media game with Arab super heroes at its heart has been launched on Facebook.

What caught my eye wasn't the story but this.


Anyone has an idea what's the name of the comic in that pic?
Not sure, but

Quote:
Mr Bakhit said he now hopes to take his comic book model to Pakistan, where extremism is a growing problem.
And the religious leaders are going to boycott it as "unislamic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Nah.. he just tripped and fell on his entire collection of cutlery that he had laid out to admire... happens all the time. (fact interrupt -- no facts are available at time of post)
Wouldn't it be better that he fell down the stairs that has no carpeting?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 22:32   Link #14879
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Yea, I smell murder. Kill the guy who knows something. If you've ever played the game "mafia"; and you're on the "mafia" side, then you go kill the guy who "knows something".
It would make ore sence if he would had die before the new get out, to do it now would only draw more attention....
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:22   Link #14880
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...rld-sean-hoare

Saw this on another forum. Apparently, the forensic team was late to the scene, and for several hours before they arrived there was no police presence at the scene for hours, during which time a man and a woman, supposedly relatives, went in. Yeah, this isn't suspicious at all.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.