AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-18, 23:51   Link #121
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Batman Returns is a great film, with some nicely devloped villains, great visual style, fun music, and fun set-pieces.

I can't stand Tim Burton. I absolutely hated that movie and I really felt he wasted Christopher Walken's talent. However, I do know a few people that did like it. I don't know, I'm still waiting for the day that a competent director makes a 'Batman' movie, but I can wait for the time being. I'm certainly in no rush to see MORE comic book adapted films. Ugh.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:06   Link #122
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Being the cineaste/hipster you are, I think you should step in and make your own superhero movie.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:12   Link #123
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Prety cool trailer, but I wanna see Catwoman!
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:14   Link #124
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Being the cineaste/hipster you are, I think you should step in and make your own superhero movie.
Trust me; it is far easier to be a critic than it is to be a film maker...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:14   Link #125
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Being the cineaste/hipster you are, I think you should step in and make your own superhero movie.
I'll get right on that the day you can use "hipster" in the right context.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:16   Link #126
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 19
@Tetra Well, first off, it's unfair to judge the teaser like that since they've only been filming for two months now. First off, you probably think it's 'boring' because it doesn't reveal much, but this movie is coming out in more than a year. Have you seen the teaser for TDK back in '07? Now that didn't show anything at all, just voiceovers by a couple characters with the Bat symbol as the bg. So I'm thankful about getting this much.

And second, I know how much you dislike Nolan... but really. 'Poor shot composition', 'amateur hour', just based on two seconds of the teaser from two months of filming?

But I guess it's all subject to taste, of course. Not everyone can love Nolan's work, and who knows, TDKR could be a big fail. *shrugs* We'll just have to wait and see.

And before anyone says anything about bad editing in the teaser or the text cards - we know Nolan probably didn't have a hand in those

I'm also pretty curious about who that person in the bg of that Bane/Batman shot is, however...
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:29   Link #127
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Regardless of this only being a teaser, that shot of Bane and Batman will be in the film, I can guarantee that, so it's open to criticism.

Plus, Nolan has shown historically that he's inept as a director. He uses erratic camerawork and has a history of framing poor shots -- it's a huge part of why his action sequences are so terrible. And you'd that that with the majority of his films averaging about 1.9 seconds a shot, that he'd hire a choreographer and editor that knew what the fuck they were doing. To make matters even worse, somewhere along the way, Wall Pfister developed this reputation of being a "good" cinematographer when he's anything BUT. Seriously, just take a look at the Paris scene in 'Inception' when Leo and Ellen are walking the streets. I'm as big a fan of hand-held camerawork as they come, but it's so distracting and uneven in Nolan's films that it removes the viewer from the narrative.

It's okay. The day will eventually come where Nolan's fraudulent praise will one day wear off. He's built solely upon hype right now and a few years down the road, when 'Batman' is inevitably rebooted again, what will his fans be left with?
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:44   Link #128
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
The teaser is very amateurish...but not for the reasons Tetra laments. Specifically, the teaser is lazy and substitutes suspense for needless platitudes. Gary Oldman lying on the bad whining/lamenting the loss of Batman as evil rises is really quite silly....

And Bane...well the future trailers need to emphasize Bane better, because, honestly, besides comic fans, there is no reason for an audience to care about this character. Batman Begins can get away with largely unknown villains simply because it is the origin film, but Bane has nowhere near the press or acclaim that the A-List Joker has (even if Bane is ostensibly an equal foe to the Joker). So, we need to care, or more realistically we need to fear, and the teaser simply does not deliver.

(It certainly doesn't help that much of the teaser is images and dialogue from the first 2 films.)

Overall, this felt more like a fanmade trailer than a real teaser. (The promotional poster was a 100x more effective.) We'll get better teasers and trailer later, but this is an inauspicious start...

That being said, whilst a bad teaser, i do still have massive hope for the film, and am more than eager to see it on its release next year.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 00:48   Link #129
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The teaser is very amateurish...but not for the reasons Tetra laments.
From a technical perspective, my criticism is on point.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 01:02   Link #130
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
From a technical perspective, my criticism is on point.
I disagree (well, it is on point, but I disagree with your analysis). We see "Bane" multiple times during the trailer, and in each sequence he is always rising (which, of course, fits the theme of evil rising (which Gordon is whining about), as well as a nice comparison to Batman rising), whether it be up the well, doing push-ups, or the close up as Bane slowly comes into focus (and seemingly slowly approaches the audience). The final shot simply completes this "rising" transition from training to challenging Batman, as Bane, quite literally, overpowers the frame by rising (literally ascending stairs) to meet Batman.

I dislike this simply due to how the shots are edited together (which, while not bad, were badly cut in between shots of Gordon doing random things and the unnecessary promo display of the city falling while forming the sign of the Batman) and for the simple reason that we desperately need a full body shot of Bane. Bane has to be fear. Unlike Joker's chaos, Bane must be presented as fear incarnate. That is the only way he can be sold to the audience, and the only way Nolan can make the audience properly anticipate the film. And, sadly, Bane isn't there yet. Whether it be because Nolan is sticking to the gimmick of "rising", or he simply wishes for Bane to be revealed later, this teaser fails because Bane is not the full pressence he needs to be.

edit: Sadly, we probably won't get a full trailer until the new Sherlock Holmes later this year. I do have to question the decision to air the trailer during Harry Potter. Wouldn't WB have been smarter to air the teaser during Green Lantern? That could have tacked on an additional 20 million to the boxoffice...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-07-19 at 01:20.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 01:51   Link #131
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
I loled

__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 11:56   Link #132
Tetra Vaal
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I disagree (well, it is on point, but I disagree with your analysis). We see "Bane" multiple times during the trailer, and in each sequence he is always rising (which, of course, fits the theme of evil rising (which Gordon is whining about), as well as a nice comparison to Batman rising), whether it be up the well, doing push-ups, or the close up as Bane slowly comes into focus (and seemingly slowly approaches the audience). The final shot simply completes this "rising" transition from training to challenging Batman, as Bane, quite literally, overpowers the frame by rising (literally ascending stairs) to meet Batman.
Actually, there's no shots of "Bane rising." Prior to the shot that I criticized, he's only shown in a couple quick shots which only show his face. But if we include your thoughts with the trailer, then we're just talking about a total disjointed mess. The main reason I singled out one shot in particular, is because the individual in the background has generated discussion on other boards. It's very poor framework on Nolan's behalf -- although, that's nothing new.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 16:00   Link #133
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Being the cineaste/hipster you are, I think you should step in and make your own superhero movie.
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read

Haters gonna hate. Just leave him.

To be honest I never liked the teaser trailers because they are just that, teasers that show nothing.

I should also point out that there are times when you watch a trailer, then watch the movie and go, "hey, where's that scene?"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 16:25   Link #134
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the Netherrealm, thinking who to betray next...
Critics base their judgments on technical, ideological, chronogical and cast-related issues that casual watchers (a 90% of the people who likes to watch movies) doesn't really give a damn. (The Pirates of the Caribbean saga is actually a saga loved by people but hated by critucs as an example of what I mean).

I watch movies for what they are and for what I like, the act you don't like it doens't mean it's bad.
__________________
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 19:12   Link #135
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Don't really care if the teaser was a terrible, it was a teaser ffs. A little glimpse for me was enough to get me excited.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 16:05   Link #136
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
I'm going to sound like a complete cynic here but...

Christian Bale doens't excite me as an action movie lead. He doesn't seem to have much understanding of the craft beyond *Grunting like a hairy troglodyte*. The Dark Knight may have been a world wide super block buster which received MASSIVE critical acclaim...But Christian Bale had nothing to do with that. Pretty much anyone could have played Batman in that movie and Heath Ledger still would have carried the film.


So not to put a cramp on anyone else excitement, but I'm largely uninterested in this film.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 16:48   Link #137
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
There is a middle ground. I am mildly interested in seeing this, but someone else's disinterest in it doesn't close to register as a cramp in mine.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 17:32   Link #138
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
To be fair, all Batman movies are like that. No one really cares about how Batman is, just that the villain is very very interesting to watch.

I think only the 1990s cartoon version had a Batman that people watched for Batman...and even then it was more about watching the villains.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 17:37   Link #139
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
The quality of Nolan's fans is not the point of this thread. Please keep the discussion on topic.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 19:45   Link #140
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
To be fair, all Batman movies are like that. No one really cares about how Batman is, just that the villain is very very interesting to watch.

I think only the 1990s cartoon version had a Batman that people watched for Batman...and even then it was more about watching the villains.
Having recently watched the Sub Zero Batman film featuring Mr. Freeze I think I can agree with that general assessment.

My issue is that Bale is kind of grating with his hyper raspy tough guy voice. Maybe he's trying to do this thing where he sounds significantly different than Bruce Wayne, but it ends up with me going from feeling neutral about him to outright irritated. Even if Batman isn't necessarily the most interesting focus, he shouldn't annoy you.





(Granting, I might just be working off my grudge for Terminator Salvation. Where Christian Bale did the stupidly macho raspy tough guy voice, despite not doing anything to justify sounding that stupidly macho)
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.