AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Old 2011-07-24, 16:50   Link #241
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
After all that ... your question is
you want a way to achieve this effect on a black BG?

the colors dont spill?

no answer yet, since its late and i have closed my PS already for the day... but just want to get it clear . No promises on answer either, k
What I want to achieve is have a transparent PNG file that when put on a black background from an external source (like a website bgcolor), the result would look like the picture above. Which I fear is impossible, since as I've shown in my second edit of the first post, there's multiple ways for Photoshop to render the picture...neither of them really showing the final look of a saved file. It's like the "what you see is what you get" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.
Old 2011-07-24, 23:21   Link #242
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
What I want to achieve is have a transparent PNG file that when put on a black background from an external source (like a website bgcolor), the result would look like the picture above. Which I fear is impossible, since as I've shown in my second edit of the first post, there's multiple ways for Photoshop to render the picture...neither of them really showing the final look of a saved file. It's like the "what you see is what you get" rule doesn't apply here for some reason.
Like this?

What I did was:
Black background
Add grayscale brush
Duplicate layer
Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency
Now brush the color on your new layer (the one with the mask).

Edit: Since the layer mask reduces the opacity of the color layer in some places, you might have to duplicate the color layer a few times or adjust the levels in the layer mask. So it's not a perfect method, but with some tweaking I think you can get what you want.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2011-07-24 at 23:47.
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 12:41   Link #243
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Like this?

*pics*

What I did was:
Black background
Add grayscale brush
Duplicate layer
Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency
Now brush the color on your new layer (the one with the mask).

Edit: Since the layer mask reduces the opacity of the color layer in some places, you might have to duplicate the color layer a few times or adjust the levels in the layer mask. So it's not a perfect method, but with some tweaking I think you can get what you want.
That's interesting. Played with it for a few hours and...

...well, this method brings one or more problems to the result:
1) Color vibrance dies.
2) Layer duplications, output level editing, playing with layer styles > not only are the colors more visible, but the original brushes are as well (makes the unpleasant "halo" effect again).
3) Color transitions are hurt badly.

It might be me just setting stuff wrong...but it's downright impossible to blindly try to adjust several color layers and save the file over and over again just to see what changes I've made.

So that's 10+ hours spent on one sig just for curiosity's sake. All this for some transparency. I'll go pull my hair out now.

Thanks again for the input, any other ideas are very welcome.
Old 2011-07-25, 16:07   Link #244
Kagayaki

Yeah, that would be a dealbeaker.

Hmmm....

Another thing you can try is using the color channels of the finished product as layer masks on RGB solid layers set to linear dodge (add). This has the effect of adding the RGB channels on top of transparency rather than on black...

Which should look fine on anything darker than 50% gray without much saturation. I admit, it looks a bit funky on the light background that AS uses.

The main problem is that Photoshop's blending modes are much more complex than the blending an image viewer / web browser does between an alpha transparent image and it's background (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing). So it's impossible to make a png that replicates exactly what happens when you're blending in Photoshop. The only times when this is possible is when you can somehow rejigger your image into layers that blend only using normal mode. This would replicate exactly what happens when the png is getting blended with the website background.

So the best you can do is probably have some sort of target color range and do your best to make the transparency look good on that range.

Tags
discussion, signature