AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2011-07-30, 17:23   Link #1
SugoiDesu
Rainbow Jakka Jan =3

Send a message via MSN to SugoiDesu Send a message via Skype™ to SugoiDesu
Running Aegisub on Wine, Ubuntu

Hello there.
I was a fansubber once, and I want to be one again.
I've this only one problem - I currently use Ubuntu 11.04.
I succeed running the Linux version of Aegisub, but it won't fit to the language I fansub (Hebrew).
Although I can run Aegisub on Wine, it keeps telling me that ffmpegsource CANNOT run the following video (CCCP's installed though).
What should I do?
サンキュ!
Old 2011-07-30, 17:43   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

The Windows version won't help you either. VSFilter does not even attempt to support languages that are written right-to-left, like Hebrew. If anything, libass on Linux has better support for that in its very latest versions, but it's still not good.

FFMS has nothing to do with CCCP, by the way.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-30, 17:54   Link #3
SugoiDesu
Rainbow Jakka Jan =3

Mmm.... Actually, it does =3
I've been a fansubber since Aegisub 2.1.1 was released, and always succeed to use Hebrew with it.
And I know FFMS has nothing to do with CCCP. I just mentioned I've installed CCCP and it didn't worked after installing it.
Mmm... Anyway... Shall I install FFMS then? And if I do, how can I install it on Wine?
Thanks =3
Old 2011-07-30, 20:06   Link #4
TheFluff

No, it does not support Hebrew. Sure, you can render some glyphs in a semi-random fashion, but it does not render correctly. Nowhere near.

What I suggest you do is stop attempting the Wine "solution" (you'll soon find that the GDI's text rendering is ten times worse under Wine than it is under native Windows) and provide some more details as to what is not working with Hebrew in Aegisub under Linux.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2011-07-30 at 23:07.
Old 2011-07-30, 21:10   Link #5
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Wow, I read the title of the post and thought, "Drinking and ASS?" gotta be great. Anyway, hope things work out.
Old 2011-07-30, 23:13   Link #6
jfs
Aegisub dev

What Fluff says.

We know that the Windows version of Aegisub fails massively on RTL languages (i.e. Hebrew and Arabic languages.)
One main reason is the Scintilla-based text edit control we use, it doesn't support bidirectional text properly and likely never will. This is independent of operating system and GUI toolkit, by the way.
However, when running on Linux you will still get a better working program by using a native Linux version. (Also, apparently libass is now getting better bidi-support than VSFilter ever will.)

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 05:47   Link #7
SugoiDesu
Rainbow Jakka Jan =3

Mmm... Of course it doesn't try to support Hebrew, but it is possible use Hebrew with it.
Ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNtjmyplb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1l_8wM-HM8
And I do Aegisub would act failish using Wine, but what choice do I have?
Will upsiding-down letters work? ('Cause I can do it no prob.)
Old 2011-08-01, 05:39   Link #8
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugoiDesu View Post
Mmm... Of course it doesn't try to support Hebrew, but it is possible use Hebrew with it.
Ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNtjmyplb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1l_8wM-HM8
And I do Aegisub would act failish using Wine, but what choice do I have?
Will upsiding-down letters work? ('Cause I can do it no prob.)
Yes, we know it's possible to "use" Hebrew in it. We also know that to do so you have to jump through a bunch of hoops and do funny things as soon as the text direction switches (such as when you insert an override tag).

You do have a choice other than Wine, namely to TELL US WHAT EXACTLY THE PROBLEM IS ON LINUX, because we may be able to help you with that. Running Aegisub under Wine is just a really bad idea and will most likely just make things worse, if it works at all.

Old 2011-08-01, 19:55   Link #9
prudence12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugoiDesu View Post
Hello there.
I was a fansubber once, and I want to be one again.
I've this only one problem - I currently use Ubuntu 11.04.
I succeed running the Linux version of Aegisub, but it won't fit to the language I fansub (Hebrew).
Although I can run Aegisub on Wine, it keeps telling me that ffmpegsource CANNOT run the following video (CCCP's installed though).
What should I do?
サンキュ!
I also tried some workarounds and I'm getting the same problem. Has anyone succeeded yet?
prudence12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 04:41   Link #10
SugoiDesu
Rainbow Jakka Jan =3

What problem?
Just as any "nice" Linux programmer to slide, Aegisub doesn't support Hebrew COMPLETELY.
I did tell you the whole problem - Hebrew text is being written from left to right.
Ex.
It should've been: "!ברוכים הבאים לאקדמיה"
Da facto: "הימדקאל םיאבה םיכורב!"
Old 2011-08-06, 17:25   Link #11
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Only advice I can give is to build Aegisub against libass 0.9.13 and see how complete the BiDi support is getting.
Old 2011-08-14, 08:25   Link #12
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Hi SugoiDesu,

I'm running Aegisub on Kubuntu 11.04, and it works just fine there.

Just add the following repository in Synaptic and install Aegisub from there:
ppa:riccetn/aegisub

Running the native Linux version will surely work a lot better than trying the Windumb version in Wine.

If you still have problems with the text dirextion, you could mirror your sentences and input them from left to right, so they appear correctly.
Alternatively, you could input the text in an application taht properly supports writing right-to-left and then copy&paste the lines.