AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-08-01, 23:37   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
The Speculative Ending

Maybe I am just generalizing but I notcied that ins ome prminent mind screwy anime, the main progtagonists somehow becomes some Godlike figure after learning a cosmic aesop and they ascend to some higer plane of existance. I mean I had seen Lain, Eva, Madoka, Ideon and the like but is there some cultural reason as to why this is?
Old 2011-08-02, 00:20   Link #2
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The final step is to growth in life is enlightenment, and what a more obvious and blatant way to do that is to ascend to godhood meaning that the character has achieved what they needed to, I guess...

It's also kinda cool.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 00:42   Link #3
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Maybe I am just generalizing but I notcied that ins ome prminent mind screwy anime, the main progtagonists somehow becomes some Godlike figure after learning a cosmic aesop and they ascend to some higer plane of existance. I mean I had seen Lain, Eva, Madoka, Ideon and the like but is there some cultural reason as to why this is?
The concept of ascendency (which really is not unique to the East) is highly symbolic of catharsis, progress, and ultimately rebirth. In fiction, it is an ultimate form of resolution that literally wipes away all previous problems, creating a new world and a new people. (Thatís not to say that all ascendancies are the same - Lainís ascendency is extremely different from Evaís.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-02, 22:32   Link #4
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

True, but if we want to find a cultural reason certainly you can find the idea that normal people can become "gods" in old japanese beliefs, while I've never heard of something like that in western mythologies; at best you can become an immortal, a saint or an angel.

I often came across the belief (probably shinto related) that when a human is sacrificed for the benefit of a village, he will become a "god".

The right word here however is "kami" which has a wider acception than the english word "god". In term of divine powers a "kami" can even be lower than an angel.

Since the examples you quoted involve a way higher level of godhood (the cases I found only involved people becoming the god of a mountain or such), I'm not sure if we can say that there's a cultural relation.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote