AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-04, 06:07   Link #1
squall_3150

how come...

how come when i dl anime such as the newest naruto my dl speed goes at 1-3kb when it says in shadows bt there are 21 seeds 2 dl's, and when i dl manga chapters it goes at 40kb constant..i use adsl...win98...no router...network switch...

is it because my comp is too crap to handle the high file size of anime?
squall_3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-04, 09:54   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Its because of the "Bottle neck" effect. If a *LOT* of people are trying to get the same file, you will suffer from bad speeds in the first 0-40% of the file.
Try to wait a few hours or maybe a day and then download the anime, your download will be ok, with a good speed.
Old 2003-12-05, 14:28   Link #3
SithLord
Inactive Member

I'm having the same kind of trouble with the Naruto ep 1-10 dl. It has taken me 2 DAYS to get only the first 23% home with an average speed of 1kbps! I'm usually downloading in speeds up to 50kbps. Is this because of the "bottle neck" effect?
SithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-05, 16:47   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Probably not. That usually ends long before 2 days. I'd suggest that you use Shadow's Client because it will tell you exactly how many seeds/peers you are connected to and how far along the peers are. If you see that all the other peers are at the same % done, then you know they are bottle necked.

Without using Shadow's Client to trouble shoot, I'd guess that you are most likely behind a router or firewall. Read Flash_Squirrel's awesome BitTorrent Step-By-Step for information on how to fix this problem.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-06, 03:35   Link #5
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Is it just my imagination, or are there a lot of "Why is my download speed so low"-Threads recently?
Yes, its because its the latest part of my guide.
Old 2003-12-06, 08:19   Link #6
SithLord
Inactive Member

Ok I've read the guide but couldn't find an answer there. I mean, I haven't had this kind of trouble wiht any of my other BT dl's. Should I download one of the experimental clients to troubleshoot? Are the experimental clients addons to BT 3.3 or different programs?

I do have the Win XP firewall installed but disabling it didn't improve my speed.
Old 2003-12-08, 07:49   Link #7
SithLord
Inactive Member

I would appreciate some advice you know...
Old 2003-12-08, 08:05   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Uninstall BitTorrent and then install Shadow's Client. If you can't get a remote client (see BitTorrent Step-By-Step if you don't know what this means) then it means you have to open your ports.

The main reasons that you might have this problem are
  • Firewall
  • Router
  • Proxy Client
  • University Internet
Refer back to the BitTorrent Step-By-Step if you want to know how to fix these problems.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 10:31   Link #9
SithLord
Inactive Member

Thx a lot =)
Old 2003-12-09, 14:34   Link #10
SithLord
Inactive Member

Well I've downloaded the Shadow Client and checked a few torrents to see what could be the problem. I was able to connect to remote clients but only a few. And it wasn't always that I had any remote clients. As far as I could see the main problem was that I wasn't able to get a downstream started from most of the clients. Out of maybe 20 clients i was downloading from maybe four all of wich where at speeds between 0-1kbps. I was uploading data to more clients than I was downloading from at much higher speeds (up to 10kbps).

Can anyone tell what I sjould do?
Old 2003-12-10, 13:44   Link #11
SithLord
Inactive Member

Ooops... The problem was my firewall, I was just to impatient to see it -.-a Thx for the advice and a great Step-by-step guide.