AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-08-08, 10:23   Link #61
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

What about Kaiji? Last time I checked it's pretty popular (in Japan), and it's chock full of suspense, thrill and intellectual stimulation (how is Kaiji going to get his way out of this mess?)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 20:35   Link #62
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
What about Kaiji? Last time I checked it's pretty popular (in Japan), and it's chock full of suspense, thrill and intellectual stimulation (how is Kaiji going to get his way out of this mess?)
Well, not too sure on the intellectual stimulation part but it's definitely a show that leaves one with a lot to consider. Definitely suspense and thrill

I think many of us, including myself, look on mediums as a whole with too much tunnel vision.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 21:03   Link #63
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, not too sure on the intellectual stimulation part but it's definitely a show that leaves one with a lot to consider. Definitely suspense and thrill

I think many of us, including myself, look on mediums as a whole with too much tunnel vision.
I'll admit, Liar game (manga) does it a bit better...

There is a very ... misanthropic strain of Japanese fiction that a lot of people forget about as they watch the legions of Jdrama and Mo Mo. I'd say this strain consists of stuff like Battle Royale, Kaiji, Liar Game and maybe One Outs(more for form then content). A lot of these seem to have a prediliction for artificial, nigh absurd gamey setups and ruthless pathetic characters, and usually it's as much about cheating as playing by the rules.

It's something you rarely see in the west, sure we have dark visions of humanity, but rarely is it so pathetic, with people driven by their fear and naked greed. It's one of the many unique things on offer in Japanese fiction. I've never seen anything like Battle Royale made outside Japan.

That's something our entertainment industry could replicate. Could really see it working in a British setting, particularly when we bear recent events in mind. Inner city london class stuck on an island in the western isles and told they have to kill each other, anyone?
Old 2011-08-10, 00:39   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'll admit, Liar game (manga) does it a bit better...

There is a very ... misanthropic strain of Japanese fiction that a lot of people forget about as they watch the legions of Jdrama and Mo Mo. I'd say this strain consists of stuff like Battle Royale, Kaiji, Liar Game and maybe One Outs(more for form then content). A lot of these seem to have a prediliction for artificial, nigh absurd gamey setups and ruthless pathetic characters, and usually it's as much about cheating as playing by the rules.

It's something you rarely see in the west, sure we have dark visions of humanity, but rarely is it so pathetic, with people driven by their fear and naked greed. It's one of the many unique things on offer in Japanese fiction. I've never seen anything like Battle Royale made outside Japan.

That's something our entertainment industry could replicate. Could really see it working in a British setting, particularly when we bear recent events in mind. Inner city london class stuck on an island in the western isles and told they have to kill each other, anyone?
Lord of the Flies, Reboot.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 00:58   Link #65
Byakou

It doesn't make any sense to compare real TV series with anime. The production costs are on a completely different scale. Compare jdrama with TV series.

Last few years we've had awesome TV series like battlestar galactica, torchwood, sherlock, game of thrones, spartacus, doctor who, stargate and spinoffs, 24, millennium (girl with the tattoo series), sanctuary, etc.

Jdramas are just disappointing most of the time. Liar game is a rare decent one, I wish there were more like that.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 15:43   Link #66
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Lord of the Flies, Reboot.
Lord of the flies is a good example (though I never read it). But Reboot? Isn't it a bit too... heroic?
Old 2011-08-10, 18:36   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Lord of the flies is a good example (though I never read it). But Reboot? Isn't it a bit too... heroic?
Sorry, bad grammar on my part. I meant a "reboot series of Lord of the Flies" (in the re-interpretation sense like the recent Batman) using your description as a starting point. Wasn't referring to the animated series of "Reboot" at all
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 19:20   Link #68
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sorry, bad grammar on my part. I meant a "reboot series of Lord of the Flies" (in the re-interpretation sense like the recent Batman) using your description as a starting point. Wasn't referring to the animated series of "Reboot" at all
Oh right

That could work...