AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-15, 06:46   Link #21
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
My only experience with Aquarion so far is Super Robot Wars Z and the cast didn't really do much for me. I kind of found Apollo annoying and the brother and sister incest duo equally so. Then of course theres' the whole docking and having orgasm thing. The show just seems like it must be really weird from what I saw there and what I've heard the MAHQ crew discuss. Mid to Late 90's Tomino shows come to mind actually.
SOunds like the games had a pretty accurate representation of the anime then
Quote:
I don't know, I think like Tomino, Kawamori is one of those directors who just got weird for some reason as opposed to creative and interesting in how he directs his shows. He was rock solid during the 90's, but then everything since has been....weird. I honestly can't think of any other word to describe his later work.
Unbalanced seems like a good word. Their shows always had a weird factor to them even during their prime, but was always under check. After that, it all went unloosed ...
Quote:
Sadly his shows seem to be the only chance that we get to hear Yoko Kanno anymore (since other weird director Yoshiyuki Tomino seems to have called it a career....funny how these two guys have worked with Kanno more than perhaps any other director and both are famous for their earlier work and people have mixed feelings about their later stuff) so I'll be looking to this soundtrack if nothing else to see if it returns her work to her stronger days after the Macross Frontier OST which I found below average for her standard. I guess when you set the bar so high it's hard to keep reaching that level, but I'd love to see her reach those heights again.
I actually thought the OST for Frontier was pretty great. Certainly not her best, but it was leagues ahead of many other anime scores.

I do understand what you are saying about not being able not to hear much of her music anymore. If anything, the show can at least sound great.

I'm hoping that the score is composed by her though, since they only announced that she's only doing the composition for the Theme, though I can't think of any reason of Kawamori not getting her fully on board here.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:56   Link #22
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm... The best thing that came from Aquarion... Is probably... The Opening song...

...Erm, yeah
Hahaha this confirms it all. Naruto was better.
Old 2011-07-15, 14:44   Link #23
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I actually thought the OST for Frontier was pretty great. Certainly not her best, but it was leagues ahead of many other anime scores.
It was quite a step up from Darker Than Black as well which imo was her weakest effort last decade. People might not like the jpop songs but they certainty did the job required...

Also Tomino being somwhat retired is hardly a factor since she only worked with him twice (and she didn't seem so thrilled with it during BrainPowerd). She's worked with Kawamori about 5 times though... and Shinichiro Watanabe is the other big name she's collabrated with a lot.. only for 2 different series and a movie spinoff.. but I'll think most people would say Macross Plus & Bebop were more important to her career by far than BrainPowerd and Turn....

She only seems to work on 1 project per year really... I'm hoping she's attached to this show since what else would she be working on this year...

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-07-15 at 17:09.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 17:04   Link #24
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Tomino ... retired?

And yeah, I do hope she is doing something this year, even if it is this show. I really want another score from her.

As for Darker than Black, I think it had to do with the placement in the show why the score sounded so weak from typical Yoko Kanno ones. Standalone its actually pretty good.
Old 2011-07-15, 17:10   Link #25
Westlo
Lets be reality

Not officially but like Kaoishin said he seems to have called it a career.. he might as well be at this stage...

As for DtB I personally didn't like the OST that was released, the clear standout BGM I heard in the show itself wasn't even on the OST which was nuts...
Old 2011-07-16, 04:28   Link #26
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Old 2011-08-12, 15:33   Link #27
Kunagisa

Orz, amid all my attention on waiting for Horizon I totally forgot to link this even though it's one of the first pvs that came out for C80.

So purple girl = civilian, green head = army
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 18:52   Link #28
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Orz, amid all my attention on waiting for Horizon I totally forgot to link this even though it's one of the first pvs that came out for C80.

Well who knows how it'll turn out in the end, but the way it starts out the main character and the purple-haired girl are either a couple already or have the best chance of winding up together at the end, initially. (and initial impressions have me rooting for that pairing over the green-haired girl)

APOLLO! Looks like he'll be starting off with the bad guys, though.

So psyched for this. (pleaseletitbethisfallpleaseletitbethisfallpleasel etitbethisfall)
Old 2011-08-12, 18:53   Link #29
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post

This looks awesome! I will be adding it to my list!
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 19:05   Link #30
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So psyched for this. (pleaseletitbethisfallpleaseletitbethisfallpleasel etitbethisfall)
Well Thomas Romain started posting on this site in the Ikoku Meiro no Croisée thread. Since that's a satelight show and his connection with Kawamori I asked him on his VM if he was involved in Aquarion EVOL and his response.. well see for yourself.
Old 2011-08-12, 21:43   Link #31
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well Thomas Romain started posting on this site in the Ikoku Meiro no Croisée thread. Since that's a satelight show and his connection with Kawamori I asked him on his VM if he was involved in Aquarion EVOL and his response.. well see for yourself.
*sigh* Yep, that figures. Why can't they do it like JC Staff and not announce these things over a year in advance? That way they won't drive us crazy from the wait, and they won't lose anything from that.
Old 2011-08-14, 02:48   Link #32
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
*sigh* Yep, that figures. Why can't they do it like JC Staff and not announce these things over a year in advance? That way they won't drive us crazy from the wait, and they won't lose anything from that.
Only going to be 9 months unless they air in during the Winter, heck could be worse, look @ the other Studio Satelight anime announced for 2012, Minisuka Uchuu Pirates. That was announced in April 2009....
Old 2011-08-19, 11:02   Link #33
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Updated version of the C80 trailer with a good look at the new Aquarion at the end... and DAT SONG

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 11:56   Link #34
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Yay, Sousei no Aquarion (the song)'s back!!!
Ichi man nen to ni sen nen mae kara aishiteru~ :3

My first encounter with Aquarion was SRW Z, and that song and Solar Aquarion's design made me fall in love with it. The pilots, well not so much but I lol when Apollo did Ranka's "Kira!" on SRW Z2 when Ranka sung XD

Haven't watched the original series yet though I've watched the 2 OVAs. But definitely gonna watch EVOL. And I've already pre-ordered Super Robot Chogokin Solar Aquarion. Can't wait till that awesome thing got released on end of this year :3
Old 2011-08-19, 12:04   Link #35
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm... The best thing that came from Aquarion... Is probably... The Opening song...

...Erm, yeah
Hey, at least it was a damned good song...

Better than any of the Macross F ones I daresay
Old 2011-08-19, 17:56   Link #36
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Better than any of the Macross F ones I daresay
Daresay? It's obviously better. I hope a slightly remixed version of it is used as the OP for the entire run and that the original is just used as an insert at a key point.
Old 2011-08-19, 19:44   Link #37
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Updated version of the C80 trailer with a good look at the new Aquarion at the end... and DAT SONG

I still can't believe they have a "big" trailer ready for the show but it's still at least 3 months away...... And the song just makes me even more psyched for it.
Old 2011-08-20, 13:56   Link #38
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I may well be the only person in the world that isn't a very big fan of that opening song for Aquarion. I've mostly only heard the Super Robot Wars Z version though, which just sounds awful and distorted to the point where I swapped it out with one of the original themes for the game.

The actual opening song I've heard a couple times and is much better, but not my favourite from Kanno by any stretch. Just a little too J-Pop for my tastes and anyone could probably predict that I'm not the worlds biggest J-Pop fan. My favorite Kanno opening is definitely still Escaflowne's and favorite ending is Blue from Cowboy Bebop.

Anyway it's funny cause I was just listening to a podcast from MAHQ where they were talking about Aquarion, but not in the context some might expect. It was a question to Chris about which show he liked less, Aquarion or Dragonaut and he said that he made it to about the 10th episode of Aquarion before giving up, but had to quit Dragonaut before the first volume was over much like me. Still, not exactly encouraging to hear the precursor mentioned in that context. I guess I should end up watching this for pure high end mecha action and animation and not expect too much from the story. Then again given the majority of Satelight's output I wouldn't expect to be doing anything more or less than just that.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but now that I think about it I've yet to a 26 episode TV series by Satelight manage to hold up a solid narrative all the way through. Of the ones I've seen Heat Guy J was incredibly forgettable (and not to mention the source of an in joke on ANN for being hyped up so much for it's R1 release and failing to even make back the cost of dubbing it), Macross Zero got really bizarre towards the end with the whole Bird Human thing, Glass no Kantai is like a really poor man's LOGH that barely holds up beyond the first volume (and has that signature Satelight weirdness to the characters), Kamichama Karin was dull even in the first episode, Kissdum was just a disastrous production from the get go, Macross Frontier dragged a ton with it's middle portion (to the point where I actually had to break from it for almost 2 years cause it started feeling more like a strange parody/updated version of SDF Macross as opposed to an actual fresh Macross franchise entry and because my time was occupied blogging Gundam 00 and Code Geass R2) but eventually pulled together for a solid finale, and lastly Basquash started great and then very quickly meandered it's own story into a corner. I also saw an episode of Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth from this season and it didn't do much for me on the story and character front either, but looked okay.

Thus, at this point I don't really have any reason to expect much from them other than eye candy and a solid beginning/ending...I just hope that this doesn't suffer from the dropoff in that regard that Basquash and Macross F did because boy did those shows non-CG art assets just take a huge nose dive during their middle portions.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-08-20 at 14:57.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 17:00   Link #39
Westlo
Lets be reality

In regards to Satelight... you should really watch Noein.
Old 2011-08-21, 02:43   Link #40
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
Yay, Sousei no Aquarion (the song)'s back!!!
Ichi man nen to ni sen nen mae kara aishiteru~ :3

My first encounter with Aquarion was SRW Z, and that song and Solar Aquarion's design made me fall in love with it. The pilots, well not so much but I lol when Apollo did Ranka's "Kira!" on SRW Z2 when Ranka sung XD

Haven't watched the original series yet though I've watched the 2 OVAs. But definitely gonna watch EVOL. And I've already pre-ordered Super Robot Chogokin Solar Aquarion. Can't wait till that awesome thing got released on end of this year :3
yeah, let's hope Bandai will also release SRC for the new Aquarion.

anyway I'm really happy when I heard that awesome song again. as Aquarion fans of course I will be waiting for evol and want an even more broken Aquarion in SRW
Aoi Toori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, science fiction