AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Horizon

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-12, 14:26   Link #161
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Just the whole scene with Kazuno (literally means deer antler) dual-wielding two body-size metal plates and doing acrobat with them then performing a whirlwind while blushing is the highlight of the trailer in my opinion.
2nd that part was awesome!

For me that PV did it's job, got me even more interested in this, really can't wait for this one.
I can tell I'm really gonna like it.
__________________
Bonta Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 14:32   Link #162
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
*looks at the character designs*

Huh. Some of these girls must be spending a fortune...in shampoo alone. XD
Never seen characters with such ample hair volume.
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 15:11   Link #163
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Before anything else, I must say a lot of characters are historically based, so really if you want to KINDA GUESS what happen to them, you can find their historical counterparts on wiki and read about them (it's quick, decent historical read if nothing else).

Which also means stay away if you don't want spoilers (obvious reminder I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
btw which one is Gin and which one is Honda Tadakatsu? are they the one using blue armor? (girl and an old man)


This is Honda Futayo.


This is Gin (those sexy arms @__@), based on Tachibana Ginchiyo, whom you can also wiki along with Tachibana Muneshige, the blonde dude wielding the huge one armed weapon.

And you're right about the old man being Tadakatsu.

Also ... Horizon in a swimsuit is strangely weird (why the heck is the entire Dengeki lineup all lolis besides Horizon /facepalm).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 16:04   Link #164
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I think you can give them a little bit more credit than that .

Just the whole scene with Kazuno (literally means deer antler) dual-wielding two body-size metal plates and doing acrobat with them then performing a whirlwind while blushing is the highlight of the trailer in my opinion. Honda Tadakatsu (you can wiki this guy, he's pretty awesome; keep in mind of his helmet choice)'s short scene also showed that he's probably a character to look forward to as well.

The trailer actually went pretty far, almost to the end of 1st part of Book I (which is as far as I got reading anyway), while skipping a lot of the major details, which ... might be a turn off for newcomers because the main's pretty much "trash" still up until this point, so the PVs have him doing nothing but boob attacks (oy!)

Seems like they're focusing the PV a lot on fanservice of both ecchi and action, but not neglecting small things like this in Spanish (aceleración) and that Toori's sister's (the only one) totally unfazed in this scene (that dragon makes me lol every time for some reason) imply that they are paying to small details, which are always nice.
Spoiler for pic:
Too bad there are like only 2 frames of Gin, and no Naomasa, both probably are my favorite character designs (I have a thing for females with fake big robotic arms ).

Two things are for sure though.

For one, the animation is definitely top notch; I only hope that Sunrise has enough budget to actually do all the fight scenes properly (and not just showcase the best ones in PV). Two, whoever's doing the BGM and sound effects should really get a promotion.

I remain hyped for this series~~
Sunrise has more than enough budget to do just about anything, it's just a matter if they will or not. Also gotta keep in mind that they've got 3 shows coming out that season alone (One of them being Gundam AGE which I guarantee will be the key focus), Tiger & Bunny will be finishing up and they've got Sacred Seven possibly finishing up or continuing as well as Gundam Unicorn in November. It's a really busy year so some titles are probably going to be getting a bit of a B treatment if you know what I mean.

Also Tadekatsu Honda? As in the defender of Mikawa and retainer of Tokugawa Honda? There's a character based on him in the show?

Anyway characters continue to just look like modernized Mamoru Nagano art. Moreseo his sense of fashion as opposed to the way he actually draws characters.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 17:56   Link #165
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Sunrise has more than enough budget to do just about anything, it's just a matter if they will or not.
That was actually what I meant, but obviously you phrased it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also Tadekatsu Honda? As in the defender of Mikawa and retainer of Tokugawa Honda? There's a character based on him in the show?
I think you mean Tokugawa Ieyasu, and yes that's him. In fact, readers are speculating the main guy is supposed to be THE Ieyasu, but he's not directly referenced by name.

There are also characters outside of Japan history too, like Philip II, Pope Innocent X, Rudolf II of Austria, Elizabeth I, Louis XIV, Nicholas Bacon, Albrecht von Wallenstein, Ben Jonson etc. to name a few. These are all the characters referenced by name. The whole list + the non-referenced/inferred are quite long ... around 52 characters total up until the latest volume? His previous work, Owari no Chronicle is based on all the major mythologies in the world too so ...
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 20:01   Link #166
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post


need sub for this, don't uds a single thing O_o
it seems like some kind of explanation about setting, world, etc2 for the anime
well I've ripped this vid from youtube so if you can find anyone interested in subbing it let me know where to send it...
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 21:25   Link #167
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Sunrise has more than enough budget to do just about anything, it's just a matter if they will or not. Also gotta keep in mind that they've got 3 shows coming out that season alone (One of them being Gundam AGE which I guarantee will be the key focus), Tiger & Bunny will be finishing up and they've got Sacred Seven possibly finishing up or continuing as well as Gundam Unicorn in November. It's a really busy year so some titles are probably going to be getting a bit of a B treatment if you know what I mean.
Just wanted to correct what appears to be a misconception here. No titles will be getting the "B treatment" because Sunrise is split up into individual studios each working on their own project, thus theoretically no project should effect the resources (by resources here I mean talent) of another unless they're being produced by the same studio. As for budget, Sunrise doesn't fund these anime, they just produce them. Bandai and the other committee members do that. Oh, and S7 is confirmed 1-cour btw.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 23:55   Link #168
Sourdough
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Margot Knight gives me funny feelings.
Sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 11:27   Link #169
dark998
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere PV2


Terminated by Chihara Minori (OP Teaser)

Lots of nifty animation there, I like what I see. And the OP sounds just ok, may grow on me later.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 13:50   Link #170
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: At the darkness beyond time.
this is looking quite good, it gives tha im presion that it has the amount of absurdity/action old anime series had and i used to like.
__________________
zeniselv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 06:04   Link #171
Dragonkid11
A random-man
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post

This is Gin (those sexy arms @__@), based on Tachibana Ginchiyo, whom you can also wiki along with Tachibana Muneshige, the blonde dude wielding the huge one armed weapon.

And you're right about the old man being Tadakatsu.

Also ... Horizon in a swimsuit is strangely weird (why the heck is the entire Dengeki lineup all lolis besides Horizon /facepalm).
Wait...both of the arms is robotic?I wonder should I dig cyborg...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 06:08   Link #172
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
Wait...both of the arms is robotic?I wonder should I dig cyborg...
Since they show a version where she's missing them I predict there's going to be some cyborg fanservice moments with her.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 10:04   Link #173
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
It's shaping nicely. it's a good thing Sunrise get their hands on this one. I will probably wouldn't worry on butchered work.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 11:45   Link #174
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
There's an interview that came out a few days ago, and thanks to 飞鸟·阿尔契亚@TB I was able to get a decent translation of the key points.

Couple Things:
  • Horizon is the final choice among the various candidates that Sunrise's 8th studio wanted to do.
  • Reason being that they wanted to produce a never before seen animated genre of light novel that other companies can't do. There are definitely difficulties, but they are aiming at a tall goal.
  • People who love battle and action would like this (among its various selling points).
  • The studio wanted to keep to the original as close as possible.
  • Production is going well as 1st season (woot! reconfirming two seasons are planned)'s scenario's already done, as well as half the work that are shifting to the animation phase.
  • They're working to their limits; the time spent and quality are both high, hoping to "wow" people when they see the completed work.
  • The Fall season has many epic series, and the director believes that this anime should be among one of them; "[I] feel like I mustn't lose".
  • The original work is already above standard, therefore the animation should be too.

My intention of posting this hopefully people will give this a chance before passing it off as a fanservice based story (like all my other posts!!!). Since people who are turned off by the trailers probably won't be following this thread anyway, so spread the words! I personally think the series is going in a good direction if the director (and therefore the team) is awared of the competition (ex: powerhouses like Fate/Zero and LastExile), and it's nice he's keeping his "battle spirits" high.

Obviously the interview is to promote the series, not everything should be taken at face value, but people should try at least 3-4 episodes (given the series' expected length) before passing this as another IS—though obviously enjoying the two together for the same reasons is A-ok too~
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 14:46   Link #175
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
  • Horizon is the final choice among the various candidates that Sunrise's 8th studio wanted to do.
What were the other choices?

And don't worry about it not getting noticed, if it's good it will get noticed.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 14:58   Link #176
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
^ Works that are considered to be made into an anime but ultimately are not aren't made public.

Anyway, I still don't understand what he means by "they wanted to do a story other companies couldn't". Could someone familiar with the light novel explain exactly why other studios wouldn't be able to produce Horizon?
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 17:23   Link #177
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
^ Works that are considered to be made into an anime but ultimately are not aren't made public.

Anyway, I still don't understand what he means by "they wanted to do a story other companies couldn't". Could someone familiar with the light novel explain exactly why other studios wouldn't be able to produce Horizon?
Just guess... well it's thickness aside that from the pv it has lots of mecha in their though it's kinda normal if I say so myself but the size of the characters here are massive to the point a bystander has his own design. I haven't encountered a light novel like that. Massive cast I have encountered but even not main cast or just standard bystander got a role in the story and a design. Well that's kinda rare. As for the story.... well I can't tell if it's that good.

There is no translation for this one and probably no one would dare to translate that thick book. If someone planned to do so. His a living hero
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 18:37   Link #178
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
There's an interview that came out a few days ago, and thanks to 飞鸟·阿尔契亚@TB I was able to get a decent translation of the key points.

Couple Things:
  • Horizon is the final choice among the various candidates that Sunrise's 8th studio wanted to do.
  • Reason being that they wanted to produce a never before seen animated genre of light novel that other companies can't do. There are definitely difficulties, but they are aiming at a tall goal.
  • People who love battle and action would like this (among its various selling points).
  • The studio wanted to keep to the original as close as possible.
  • Production is going well as 1st season (woot! reconfirming two seasons are planned)'s scenario's already done, as well as half the work that are shifting to the animation phase.
  • They're working to their limits; the time spent and quality are both high, hoping to "wow" people when they see the completed work.
  • The Fall season has many epic series, and the director believes that this anime should be among one of them; "[I] feel like I mustn't lose".
  • The original work is already above standard, therefore the animation should be too.

My intention of posting this hopefully people will give this a chance before passing it off as a fanservice based story (like all my other posts!!!). Since people who are turned off by the trailers probably won't be following this thread anyway, so spread the words! I personally think the series is going in a good direction if the director (and therefore the team) is awared of the competition (ex: powerhouses like Fate/Zero and LastExile), and it's nice he's keeping his "battle spirits" high.

Obviously the interview is to promote the series, not everything should be taken at face value, but people should try at least 3-4 episodes (given the series' expected length) before passing this as another IS—though obviously enjoying the two together for the same reasons is A-ok too~
I was kind anticipating something like this. Sunrise rarely aims for small goals, but the promo art so far kind of gives an impression that they were this time. They must have thought so too which is probably why they talked about this in order to further reassure people. Consider me reassured
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 19:06   Link #179
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
^ Works that are considered to be made into an anime but ultimately are not aren't made public.

Anyway, I still don't understand what he means by "they wanted to do a story other companies couldn't". Could someone familiar with the light novel explain exactly why other studios wouldn't be able to produce Horizon?
Let's see, leaving the introductory first volume aside, a volume of this novel consist of 3 books, each book contain around 1000 pages of content, so that's 3000 pages of content for on 1 volume only. Compare that to, let's say Index, where each volume 'only' contain around 300 pages of material, that means 1 volume of kyoukai senjou contain around 10 volumes of Index material(and they can't really cut the story in the middle of the first major arc can't they?). Index need 2 whole cour to animate 6 volume worth of material, and that's with J.C staff already cutting a lot of content already, so if they want to be as close as possible to the original source, they'll need at least 3 cour(most likely more). I doubt there's many production house has the budget to make a 'relatively niche' series like this for 3 or more cour.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 20:21   Link #180
Allen
メインヒロイン
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Let's see, leaving the introductory first volume aside, a volume of this novel consist of 3 books, each book contain around 1000 pages of content, so that's 3000 pages of content for on 1 volume only. Compare that to, let's say Index, where each volume 'only' contain around 300 pages of material, that means 1 volume of kyoukai senjou contain around 10 volumes of Index material(and they can't really cut the story in the middle of the first major arc can't they?). Index need 2 whole cour to animate 6 volume worth of material, and that's with J.C staff already cutting a lot of content already, so if they want to be as close as possible to the original source, they'll need at least 3 cour(most likely more). I doubt there's many production house has the budget to make a 'relatively niche' series like this for 3 or more cour.
Horizon isn't "that" long . The first volume has 1300 pages, the second one has 2100 pages and the third one has 2400 pages. From the first PV they are going until the second volume. So, just 3400 pages in 50 episodes?

Other difficult thing to animate is the different fighting styles that are present in Horizon. We have people who use magic (not in the convencional way), people who fight writing, people who fight with hammers, swords, spear-like weapons, people who "fight" dancing, ninjas, samurais, etc... And we have battles in the air, inside the water, between ships, mechas, economic and political negotiations too.

And there are a lot of little details just like stuopdiget said. Besides the acelerácion and the Kimi-nee scene, in the second PV there was the "SchieBerei" switching to "Herrlich" in the sign-frame of Marga/Naruze and the SUWA on the sign-frame of Noriki. I don't think that there is another studio (staff) crazy enough to animate all of this while mantaining a nice quality besides Sunrise.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, fantasy, science fiction, sunrise

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.