AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-18, 10:43   Link #1
NoLongerSane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Seiken no Blacksmith (The Sacred Blacksmith)



Description:

The story takes place after an abominable war that foisted a "devil's contract" upon a land. Cecily Campbell, a former noble's daughter who joined a knighthood, encounters a man who dispatches some hoodlums with one sweep of a mysterious sword. The man possesses the power of the same "devil's contract" that has become taboo, now that peace has been restored. Cecily has been searching for a blacksmith who can repair an old sword she inherited from her father, and that mysterious young man happens to be blacksmith named Luke. This encounter launches their adventures together.

Source: Baka-Updates
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=41632

Amazed this series was not found in the manga section despite it being mentioned in it's anime section. Anyway, pretty interesting series as there is more material presented than what was seen in the anime.
__________________
sigpic81007_2
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 10:54   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
indeed. Unlike the anime, Cecily is already a badass from the start.

So i guess you started this thread after a certain thing happen to someone in the story. You know what i'm talking about.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:03   Link #3
Khalil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Let me just say this: Siegfried, you utter bastard.
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:09   Link #4
NoLongerSane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
indeed. Unlike the anime, Cecily is already a badass from the start.

So i guess you started this thread after a certain thing happen to someone in the story. You know what i'm talking about.
Very true. I recall the scene was previoiusly mentioned a while back at the anime forum and the current chapter that was recently released had that scene. I was thinking that there was a thread for this series and I was going to post on what I read and on the the other chapters that were released these past months but was surprised that the thead did not exist.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
Let me just say this: Siegfried, you utter bastard.
Totally agreed.
__________________
sigpic81007_2
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:23   Link #5
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Someone had the same idea I had. This manga definitely deserves its own thread, it's seriously good reading.

Chapter 21 had some heavy shit. Dang. I am fucking glued to this story to see where this will go for Cecily's character development. Cecily's idealism has been the pinnacle of gar and what's left me impressed with her character before. What's going on now is a serious challenge to that, however.

It's funny but I've been reading a bit about feminism recently. And what this chapter has done a terrifying job of emphasizing is just how dangerous and unstoppable the enemy really is. Frankly, if the
Spoiler for ch. 21:
had really gone through in that context, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of Cecily's recovery. On the other hand, in the vast majority of real life analogues, there is no convenient copout to spare the victims from the ugly act.

This chapter really makes me think about the helpless suffering that the powerless (particularly women) undergo every day. It is almost too much to bear. If you stand up, you will be stomped down with malice and hatred. This is certainly a way of things.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:41   Link #6
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
It seems the manga adaptation of the light novels is better than the anime. I'll try it again, since I thought the anime was better.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 12:09   Link #7
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I've been following this from what I assume was the beginning.

I adore Cecily. I hear she dumbed down into Ms Fanservice in the anime version, which I haven't watched, but I am enjoying her obvious talent and skills she has right in the manga. She doesn't always win, but damn if it isn't brutal when she does.

Oh, and yes. Fucking goddamn Siegfried. He's just earned a bloody and graphic death, and he better damn get it. Frankly I'm a little surprised though. This never really seemed like the type of dark series to put the lead character through something like that. Hope she gets better soon. Though I suppose
Spoiler:
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 12:27   Link #8
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I've been following this from what I assume was the beginning.

I adore Cecily. I hear she dumbed down into Ms Fanservice in the anime version, which I haven't watched, but I am enjoying her obvious talent and skills she has right in the manga. She doesn't always win, but damn if it isn't brutal when she does.

Oh, and yes. Fucking goddamn Siegfried. He's just earned a bloody and graphic death, and he better damn get it. Frankly I'm a little surprised though. This never really seemed like the type of dark series to put the lead character through something like that. Hope she gets better soon. Though I suppose
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Chapter 21:
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 12:30   Link #9
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Calling it a copout would imply I didn't like it, but I'm actually relieved they didn't go all the way. Still, I really hope Cecily's idealism hasn't been completely crushed by this.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 12:35   Link #10
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
You're right, though regardless, I guess I would direct it more toward those that did think it was a cop out.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 12:36   Link #11
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tell me and then we'll both know o__O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Someone had the same idea I had. This manga definitely deserves its own thread, it's seriously good reading.

Chapter 21 had some heavy shit. Dang. I am fucking glued to this story to see where this will go for Cecily's character development. Cecily's idealism has been the pinnacle of gar and what's left me impressed with her character before. What's going on now is a serious challenge to that, however.

It's funny but I've been reading a bit about feminism recently. And what this chapter has done a terrifying job of emphasizing is just how dangerous and unstoppable the enemy really is. Frankly, if the
Spoiler for ch. 21:
had really gone through in that context, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of Cecily's recovery. On the other hand, in the vast majority of real life analogues, there is no convenient copout to spare the victims from the ugly act.
Agreed. After what happened in Chapters 15 and 16 though, there was no way they weren't going to come to a head sooner or later. It just goes to show how much Cecily rattled Siegfried that he had to go to such lengths to try and destroy her, or rather her beliefs, down to their very core.

This latest development has Cecily at a real crossroads. If she chooses a path of vengeance in order to kill Siegfried, or at the very least have a hand in killing him, it will come at the cost of abandoning everything she's been fighting for up until now and effectively proving him right. Or, as I'm hoping for, she can stand up from this and rise to the true aspiration of knighthood that's been her driving force from the very beginning.

Either way, things are getting quite interesting. This is turning out to be quite a bit more entertaining than the anime.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:03   Link #12
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Although I don't approve of what happened or didn't happen to Cecily by any means, unfortunately, based on what happened with her and Luke, and again I don't approve at all of what happened to her at the end at all, she kinda had it coming. When a knight, a girl knight, trains as hard as she does, the concept of feminism takes over for the girls femininity, thus making a conflict so bad that the knight has to choose either to continue to gain power for her beliefs or surrender to society's "gender roles" without being able to find a balance. Her confusion and frustration for her feelings for Luke made her say something she shouldn't have, instead of just being honest and not letting her pride get in her way, it ended unfortunately with the most savage way of mental breakdown. Also yes, Siegfried deserves the most horrible death ever. On a light note, NLS, you sure the best medicine is laughter? Cause based on your sig, it looks more like the best medicine is making an Ahegao face-v-;;.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:34   Link #13
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Although I don't approve of what happened or didn't happen to Cecily by any means, unfortunately, based on what happened with her and Luke, and again I don't approve at all of what happened to her at the end at all, she kinda had it coming. When a knight, a girl knight, trains as hard as she does, the concept of feminism takes over for the girls femininity, thus making a conflict so bad that the knight has to choose either to continue to gain power for her beliefs or surrender to society's "gender roles" without being able to find a balance. Her confusion and frustration for her feelings for Luke made her say something she shouldn't have, instead of just being honest and not letting her pride get in her way, it ended unfortunately with the most savage way of mental breakdown. Also yes, Siegfried deserves the most horrible death ever. On a light note, NLS, you sure the best medicine is laughter? Cause based on your sig, it looks more like the best medicine is making an Ahegao face-v-;;.
"Had it coming", "said something she shouldn't have", what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to her telling Siegfried she had faith in Luke, calling out to him for help, or what? None of that could remotely justify Siegfried's assault upon her integrity as an individual, as far as I'm concerned. What exactly are you saying sparked Siegfried's anger, and what exactly are you saying Cecily deserved?

As far as NoLongerSane's signature, you're mistaking the character's eyebrows for eyelids. Due to bad vertical compression of the image. I find making jokes about ahegaos in this sort of context is fairly offensive, however.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 33/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 60/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:40   Link #14
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post
Agreed. After what happened in Chapters 15 and 16 though, there was no way they weren't going to come to a head sooner or later. It just goes to show how much Cecily rattled Siegfried that he had to go to such lengths to try and destroy her, or rather her beliefs, down to their very core.

This latest development has Cecily at a real crossroads. If she chooses a path of vengeance in order to kill Siegfried, or at the very least have a hand in killing him, it will come at the cost of abandoning everything she's been fighting for up until now and effectively proving him right. Or, as I'm hoping for, she can stand up from this and rise to the true aspiration of knighthood that's been her driving force from the very beginning.

Either way, things are getting quite interesting. This is turning out to be quite a bit more entertaining than the anime.
I think soon enough she will come to those crossroads, but before that happens I think we need to see just how traumatized she is now. It wasn't a full rape, but it was bad enough to make her puke, and I think the immediate concern should be seeing if she can get better, or how. Poor thing

Although I imagine that's already been revealed in the not yet scanned chapters.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 13:55   Link #15
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Wow, it's a good thing Siegfried is a limp dick

The puking is apart of her hangover, the events just pushed her over the edge sorta speak.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:05   Link #16
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
"Had it coming", "said something she shouldn't have", what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to her telling Siegfried she had faith in Luke, calling out to him for help, or what? None of that could remotely justify Siegfried's assault upon her integrity as an individual, as far as I'm concerned. What exactly are you saying sparked Siegfried's anger, and what exactly are you saying Cecily deserved?

As far as NoLongerSane's signature, you're mistaking the character's eyebrows for eyelids. Due to bad vertical compression of the image. I find making jokes about ahegaos in this sort of context is fairly offensive, however.
Again, I'm not approving of what happened to her at all, I meant at the beginning of the chapter, in the party, her drunken discussion towards luke about being stuck loving one woman from the past. In manga, that usually means a fowl and undeserved play by Karma to either break a character with no chance of recovery, or go through a long process of self thought and meditation, making the character stronger. I love the fact that even though I said like a thousand times that I don't approve what happened to Cecily and I don't want what happened to her to happen to any female, ever, I'm still being considered as an insensitive jerk-.-. Anyway, on Sane's sig, I'm sorry my comment offended you. It was not my intention since I did not know where the character came from. However, that is still not an excuse, so once again, I apologize.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:05   Link #17
Xaturas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Didn't read the series but saw the 21 chapter just because of this thread, hmmmmm nothing there to be frank. They fights with monsters and such, such low mental rape and some physical abuse shouldn't hurt anyone. Unless she is some weak moe romance character that is.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:15   Link #18
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
The point of the abuse she got from Siegfried is to enforce how useless she is alone. Which by law means she'll start on the path of self-improvement.
__________________
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:20   Link #19
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Wow, it's a good thing Siegfried is a limp dick

The puking is apart of her hangover, the events just pushed her over the edge sorta speak.
I had completely forgotten she was hungover by that point. Still, I do hope you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Didn't read the series but saw the 21 chapter just because of this thread, hmmmmm nothing there to be frank. They fights with monsters and such, such low mental rape and some physical abuse shouldn't hurt anyone. Unless she is some weak moe romance character that is.
Fighting monsters doesn't mean a person is prepared to be beaten, stripped, molested and abused like that.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 14:26   Link #20
Xaturas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I had completely forgotten she was hungover by that point. Still, I do hope you're right.



Fighting monsters doesn't mean a person is prepared to be beaten, stripped, molested and abused like that.
Then it just means she is damn weak.
Realistically speaking, when I would fight with monsters (on war), I would be mentally prepared for such a meek abuse. But hey I'm not a women, when it comes to their loves and such they are stupid.
To be frank she can clean Casca (Berserk) shoes with her character strength.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blacksmith, fantasy, seinen, swords

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.