AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-17, 14:02   Link #6781
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Finland
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Bluemail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
AppLocale could probably solve that problem, though?

Anyway, one advantage of translating Higanbana is that there is very little to do on the technical level. ONScripter-EN should be able to play the game more-or-less perfectly. Plus, it is easy to get at the script and add the translation. Witch Hunt have experience with translating NScripter games so it should be quite simple.

With Rewrite however, I'm not even sure what engine they're using… it might be more difficult to translate (especially if the engine can't deal with English text well).

That said, I'm sure that if Witch Hunt really want to translate Rewrite, they'll find a way.
Nope, it's not about the locale, but about Japanese version of Windows, as a different product like this. If you don't have that, a message pops up and says "This Game is Japan only" and some stuff about needing Japanese Windows and shuts the game. Of course, there's already ways to skip it, but it's not AppLocale. I agree waiting for Visual Arts to give a permission probably gets us nowhere.

Rewrite's engine is called Siglus Engine, which apparently is Key's own engine. So deciphering it would probably need some extra work. As you say, Higanbana is probably much more effortless, and apparently one collection is much shorter than an average Umineko episode actually. So it wouldn't need as much work as Umineko. Depending on how many installments there's going to be of course. But comparing Rewrite and Higanbana's First Night, there's visibly a huge difference in effort needed.

I'd love Witch Hunt to translate either of them, but I wouldn't blame them if they're going to take a break.
__________________

Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Rondo of the Witch and Reasoning~ for PS3/PSP
NISA publisher support thread - AKSYS publisher support thread - Facebook group - deviantArt group - Petition
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 14:56   Link #6782
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Love for Rewrite among WH is not lacking. Does not make translation any more likely or possible tho.

I'm suggesting not to have too much hopes concerning that as thus.
Better to have an unexpected good news then an unexpected bad news anyway (or to simply remain hopeful for a long time to end up in deception).
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 16:50   Link #6783
xBTAx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
Nope, it's not about the locale, but about Japanese version of Windows, as a different product like this. If you don't have that, a message pops up and says "This Game is Japan only" and some stuff about needing Japanese Windows and shuts the game. Of course, there's already ways to skip it, but it's not AppLocale. I agree waiting for Visual Arts to give a permission probably gets us nowhere.

Rewrite's engine is called Siglus Engine, which apparently is Key's own engine. So deciphering it would probably need some extra work. As you say, Higanbana is probably much more effortless, and apparently one collection is much shorter than an average Umineko episode actually. So it wouldn't need as much work as Umineko. Depending on how many installments there's going to be of course. But comparing Rewrite and Higanbana's First Night, there's visibly a huge difference in effort needed.

I'd love Witch Hunt to translate either of them, but I wouldn't blame them if they're going to take a break.
Siglus is new, isn't it? Their previous releases used RealLive, so that only makes things that much more complicated...
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 16:53   Link #6784
Madman6510
Child of Man
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Age: 20
There's a decent number of ninja programmers out there. If someone really wanted to translate it, you'd just have to find the right person with the right skillset.

Although it is funny how they "region lock" their games. What, they don't want extra sales?
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 18:08   Link #6785
cronnoponno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman6510 View Post
There's a decent number of ninja programmers out there. If someone really wanted to translate it, you'd just have to find the right person with the right skillset.

Although it is funny how they "region lock" their games. What, they don't want extra sales?
I think it's because it's better to assume more piracy will occur if it is not locked regionally. Far more than they would get in sales, at least.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 22:31   Link #6786
Corfish1001
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
I think it's because it's better to assume more piracy will occur if it is not locked regionally. Far more than they would get in sales, at least.
That line of reasoning completely baffles me if they truly believe that. "Yes, to prevent pirating, we'll make our game unplayable outside of Japan, THAT WILL STOP THEM!" XD I think I mildly understand how it would work if someone got the rights to bring it out of Japan, but even then that line of logic still seems really off base lol
Corfish1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 22:33   Link #6787
Madman6510
Child of Man
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Age: 20
Since when has DRM ever been logical?

In all seriousness, they're restricting a market that, even if 9/10 people pirate the game, there's still that 1/10 that will go to the trouble of importing the game because they respect the writers/just want the box. And those are sales they were never "supposed" to get in the first place.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 08:37   Link #6788
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Yesterday!
Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
The problem with rewrite is a legal one, not one concerning the VN engine used in it. No amount of skills can compensate for that.

What personally baffles me is that microsoft still have region specific versions of it's OS. In any case, this conversation is drifting further and further away from what this thread is supposed to be about.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 09:29   Link #6789
blacktrance
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
You know what I'd really like the Witch Hunt team to translate? Umineko Episode 8.
blacktrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 10:46   Link #6790
Ukyo9
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrance View Post
You know what I'd really like the Witch Hunt team to translate? Umineko Episode 8.
They ARE translating Episode 8. I too would love the complete patch now but keeping asking for it won't speed up the project. We should be grateful there even is a translation for Umineko (and a very good one too )
Ukyo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 11:22   Link #6791
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrance View Post
You know what I'd really like the Witch Hunt team to translate? Umineko Episode 8.
And we never said we are going to translate something else in the meantime, didn't we?
I only expressed our "interest" in Rewrite, while Higanbana (manga) wasn't much to my liking. That doesn't even mean we are going to translate any of them, let alone forsaking Episode 8.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 16:51   Link #6792
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: England
Age: 20
If Witch Hunt actually does decide to translate Rewrite and gets permission to do so, then I guess Key might be able to provide an engine that doesn't have the restriction. Of course, this may require some effort on the part of Key, so they may be unwilling to do so. Worst case scenario… make the game from scratch.
__________________
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 17:30   Link #6793
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
That's extremely unlikely to happen. A company like Key would only go that far for an official distributor.
It's a lot more probable that someone will find out how to break the code and find a way to edit it.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 18:26   Link #6794
immblueversion
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Where you're not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
And we never said we are going to translate something else in the meantime, didn't we?
I only expressed our "interest" in Rewrite, while Higanbana (manga) wasn't much to my liking. That doesn't even mean we are going to translate any of them, let alone forsaking Episode 8.
I'm at least glad that the Higanbana VN does a decidedly more, erm, "subtle" take on the characters.
__________________
I'm not the boss.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 18:27   Link #6795
xBTAx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
If Witch Hunt actually does decide to translate Rewrite and gets permission to do so, then I guess Key might be able to provide an engine that doesn't have the restriction. Of course, this may require some effort on the part of Key, so they may be unwilling to do so. Worst case scenario… make the game from scratch.
As I said earlier, that would never happen for Key. They want to force foreigners to play official localized versions of their VNs, but have such high standards that those version will never be made.
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 23:33   Link #6796
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
But someone is already translating Rewrite...
__________________
Sterling01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 23:38   Link #6797
cronnoponno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Uh who? Plus, most translation projects I ever see, almost never see anything through to the end, WH was the first one I ever really saw, well there's a few like F/SN but those were already done before I even knew about them.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 00:23   Link #6798
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Golden Land
Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I'm pretty sure talking about unofficial translation groups like that is against forum rules.
__________________
When the Silent Spirits Cry: An Umineko/Silent Hill crossover fanfiction
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4565173&postcount=531
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 04:46   Link #6799
aiman24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
somebody has started translating higanbana (not sure if he/she will ever finish it)...

just search for it...

anyways, i can't wait for ep 8's full translation.. hopefully i won't be too busy when it's out
aiman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 05:33   Link #6800
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I'm pretty sure talking about unofficial translation groups like that is against forum rules.
What do you mean by "unofficial translation groups"?

There's a lot of them here.
Witch Hunt started as unofficial as well.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
translation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.