AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-19, 05:50   Link #2261
Soraya21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Oh hey, scanlation's out.

After this chapter, I have to say that it's become somewhat of a mystery on where Yui gets her figure from seeing that it obviously doesn't come from genetics.

The flashback with Yami is new & seems to have happened only recently. More foreshadowing I suppose what with the assassin's new fascination with reading the romance genre.

So far, this is probably the chapter that I've enjoyed the least. In part, surprisingly enough, because there wasn't enough Rito, or more precisely Rito/Yui interaction, involved in this Yui centered special. Another is due to the "back to the usual business" type of ending. And lastly because of Mio, who's basically only Risa's backup buddy/Haruna's extra friend, taking up panel space.
Soraya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 06:33   Link #2262
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soraya21 View Post
The flashback with Yami is new & seems to have happened only recently. More foreshadowing I suppose what with the assassin's new fascination with reading the romance genre.
It's not new, it happened in the chapter when Rito and Yui where taking shelter in the playground from the rain.

Quote:
So far, this is probably the chapter that I've enjoyed the least. In part, surprisingly enough, because there wasn't enough Rito, or more precisely Rito/Yui interaction, involved in this Yui centered special.
She's had more than enough interaction with him, as evidenced by all those instances that she recalled. Yui knows what Rito is truly like, unlike Haruna (who proves even further that she's dragging the series down, get a clue already).

Quote:
Another is due to the "back to the usual business" type of ending.
She no longer hits him like she did back when she was originally introduced, plus she's now acknowledged to herself that she's infatuated with him, so I'd say business has changed somewhat.

Quote:
And lastly because of Mio, who's basically only Risa's backup buddy/Haruna's extra friend, taking up panel space.
If it were up to me, both Risa and Mio wouldn't take up any panel space since they're just bit players. But at least they served a purpose here by recalling Risa's chapter and using that to further Yui's development.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 08:20   Link #2263
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Yui knows what Rito is truly like, unlike Haruna (who proves even further that she's dragging the series down, get a clue already).
Yes, because it wasn't like Haruna immediately agreed with Yui and was happy that someone else understood what an sincere person Rito was, am I right?

No, Haruna was decrying Rito as a gigantic perv who really did do Risa, and wasn't just flustered when her friend started talking about sex with the guy she loves.

True story, right bro?
__________________
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 08:30   Link #2264
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
They should just write Haruna off for good. Apparently a fictional character is tied too closely with personal issues. If some bad blood outside the series is affecting her character or the way the audience views her character that much, then she can't go on. There's no point.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 08:50   Link #2265
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
I don't think its affecting the way she is being written though. Her personality hasn't taken a sudden nose dive, nor has her I.Q or looks. The only thing that is different is her deminished screen time, and even that isn't a great deal.

Chopping her out entirely would be a terrible idea both due to fan reaction (she has her fans, and unlike what this forum would generally tell you, she is by no means universally hated) and in-manga, because then they'd have to deal with Rito's love for Haruna, without Haruna. If he gets over her dissappearence too quickly, it comes off as a huge blunder.
__________________
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 09:06   Link #2266
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Yes, because it wasn't like Haruna immediately agreed with Yui and was happy that someone else understood what an sincere person Rito was, am I right?

No, Haruna was decrying Rito as a gigantic perv who really did do Risa, and wasn't just flustered when her friend started talking about sex with the guy she loves.

True story, right bro?
Yeah, she totally understands, it's not like she still hits him whenever he gets in perverted situations with her, right brosef? Oh hold up, she still does.

Quote:
They should just write Haruna off for good
If I could pay Yabuki to make it happen, I would.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 09:28   Link #2267
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Yeah, she totally understands, it's not like she still calls him shameless whenever he gets in perverted situations with her, right brosef? Oh hold up, she still does.
Yep, sounds like Yui's way ahead of Haruna
__________________
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 09:28   Link #2268
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
yeesh, you guys really dislike Haruna don't yah, it's kinda funny. The way I look at it, it really isn't Haruna's fault. Or rather, it's more of an indication of Yui's maturity over Haruna's, her relationship with Rito is a little more mature than Haruna's because they went through different things together. Unless Haruna and Rito go through anything that creates development, I'd say she isn't fairing too well in the end game.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 10:07   Link #2269
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Using a character's first reaction to groping as a method of measuring how much one person understands another might be the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 10:29   Link #2270
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Yeah, she totally understands, it's not like she still calls him shameless whenever he gets in perverted situations with her, right brosef? Oh hold up, she still does.
Yep, sounds like Yui's way ahead of Haruna
The 'shameless' thing is Yui's schtick, the cast is already aware of this. And Yui sure didn't say that to him when they were alone in his room and he fell on top of her (even Momo thought she would).

Yet poor Haruna is still as predictable as ever, smacking him away at the first sign of perversion. Even Yami doesn't do this anymore, and Lala's never done it at all. She could really learn from those two.

Quote:
Unless Haruna and Rito go through anything that creates development, I'd say she isn't fairing too well in the end game
What's worse is since he's still infatuated with her, it's stalling development with everyone else, including Lala. If not for her, Rito would have made some real progress by now.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 11:15   Link #2271
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
The smacking him thing is Haruna's schtick, the cast is already aware of this. And Haruna never says anything unless its her crotch he's face planting in.

Yet poor Yui is still as predictable as ever, scolding him at the first sign of perversion. Even Yami doesn't do this anymore, and Lala's never done it at all. She could really learn from those two.

Seriously dude, fucking listen to your own double standard.

Actually, its worse than that. Yui scolds him weather its someone else acting shameless with Rito, and even ifs its not technically his fault.

Haruna only seems to do it out of an embarrassed reflex. Unlike Yami (and Yui, in a different way), she has never gone out of her way to abuse him or punish him for his percieved lewd behaviour.
__________________

Last edited by Ashaman; 2011-08-19 at 11:46.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 11:59   Link #2272
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
The smacking him thing is Haruna's schtick, the cast is already aware of this.
And it just makes her that much more unlikeable.

Quote:
Yet poor Yui is still as predictable as ever, scolding him at the first sign of perversion.
Towards other girls, yes. She even told him upfront that she's willing to tolerate it as long as it's directed towards her only.

Quote:
Even Yami doesn't do this anymore, and Lala's never done it at all. She could really learn from those two.
How ironic you mention that when she actually recalls Yami's advice to her in this very chapter.

Quote:
Seriously dude, fucking listen to your own double standard.
I would if there was one, but there clearly isn't.

Quote:
its worse than that. Yui scolds him weather its someone else acting shameless with Rito, and even ifs its not technically his fault.
See above.

Quote:
Haruna only seems to do it out of an embarrassed reflex.
And yet she makes zero effort to control or overcome that reflex.

Quote:
Unlike Yami (and Yui, in a different way), she has never gone out of her way to abuse him or punish him for his lewd behaviour.
Of course not, because it would be out of character for her to do so. Still doesn't excuse her for hitting the poor guy. Yui and Yami have already reformed since the start of this new series, why can't she?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 12:53   Link #2273
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
And it just makes her that much more unlikeable.
And Yui's near constant scolding is supposed to endear me to her?

Fundimentally the two acts are the same. The difference is the intensity and reason. Haruna smacks him out of the surprise and embarrassment of being groped, while Yui scolds him out of the feeling that Rito needs some form of punishment for his misdeeds.

Quote:
Towards other girls, yes. She even told him upfront that she's willing to tolerate it as long as it's directed towards her only.
And yet in this very chapter she calls him shameless for planting his face in her boobs by accident. Hmm? Funny that.

Quote:
I would if there was one, but there clearly isn't.
Really? You don't comprehend the fact that I quite literally swapped the names in your own complaints and it still rings true? You don't realize that the same misdeeds lay with the other girl, and yet you are decrying one while zealously defending the other?

You: "Shameless thing is Yui's schtick! Har Har"

Me:The Smacking thing is Haruna's.

You: "No, but, yeah, but no, it makes me angry to see it.

----

You: Haruna has been doing the exact same beat down as soon as Rito does something perverted. She's so predictable.

Me: Yui catch phrase is 'Shameless' for a fucking reason. (And I'd like to point out that Haruna only smacks him when he touches her pervertedly. Not at the slightest hint of perverted activity)

You: But she's grown out of that now, and only does it out of jelousy

Me: yet in this very chapter she continues to scold away.


Quote:
And yet she makes zero effort to control or overcome that reflex.
And Yui has never stopped scolding Rito, except on one or two rare occasions (the same could be said for Haruna). Though you do have a point, she should probably work on that.

Quote:
Of course not, because it would be out of character for her to do so. Still doesn't excuse her for hitting the poor guy. Yui and Yami have already reformed since the start of this new series, why can't she?
The extent of Yui's reformation is that she now knows that Rito is not the shameless beast she first thought he was (something Haruna has known for quite awhile), but she still scolds him for indecent behaviour, accidental or not.
__________________

Last edited by Ashaman; 2011-08-19 at 13:58.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 13:46   Link #2274
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
*reads last panel*

Oh Yui. Yes you will acknowledge it eventually, silly girl. And might I add "Hnnnngg!"

Although I'm glad she didn't take any big steps forward in a simple side chapter.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 14:38   Link #2275
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tell me and then we'll both know o__O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
*reads last panel*

Oh Yui. Yes you will acknowledge it eventually, silly girl. And might I add "Hnnnngg!"

Although I'm glad she didn't take any big steps forward in a simple side chapter.
Really? Aside from Yami, I'd say Yui is the most problematic when it comes to admitting her feelings for Rito. For her to admit them, even to herself, is a significant step forward IMO.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 14:49   Link #2276
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 27
@Haruna & Yui: Both stay quite well in their respective character role. Yui as (one of) the local tsundere and Haruna as the timid + shy childhood friend-type even if she's not by 100 %. And in here lies the basic problem. Yui progressed while still staying in-character eg. her scolding whereas Haruna just remained the shy + timid girl. Her greatest development might have been in TLR1 where she told Lala about her feelings for Rito, but after that? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the shy + timid girl archetype. It *is* possible to give them proper growth without drastically changing their in-character behavior, it may just not be as interesting/funny generally as with other archetypes. I think that for Haruna to progress and not instantly slide into a RitoXHaruna ending, Rito must lose his Haruna-only mindset. It will eventually get boring to see each confession attempt being interrupted if there are any further ones.

As for Yui: In TLR1, she was - for my taste - relatively late introduced and I didn't really care for her due to Lala-fanboyism. So I thought the mangaka had to put more emphasis on her development in order to put her on equal terms with Lala + Haruna. And by now her progression "speed" has imho been quite impressive. Maybe not as impressive as with Yami, but still quite fast, ignoring that I usually do not try to analyze/look in-depth into manga development. Her valentine chapter is only surpassed by her first TLR: D + perhaps the current chapter.

Last edited by Mahou; 2011-08-19 at 14:53. Reason: worst typo ever
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 14:51   Link #2277
Freeter
i see baka people
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in the club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
And Yui's near constant scolding is supposed to endear me to her?
Nope, but Haruna's not winning any points with me by always resorting to violence.

Quote:
Fundimentally the two acts are the same. The difference is the intensity and reason. Haruna smacks him out of the surprise and embarrassment of being groped, while Yui scolds him out of the feeling that Rito needs some form of punishment for his misdeeds.
Yui has shown, however, that she won't scold Rito when the two are alone. The same can't be said for Haruna.

Quote:
And yet in this very chapter she calls him shameless for planting his face in her boobs by accident. Hmm? Funny that.
Of course she'd say it in that situation, they're at school and she has an image to uphold as the morals officer. But she never strikes him.

Quote:
Really? You don't comprehend the fact that I quite literally swapped the names in your own complaints and it still rings true? You don't realize that the same misdeeds lay with the other girl, and yet you are decrying one while zealously defending the other?

You: "Shameless thing is Yui's schtick! Har Har"

Me:The Smacking thing is Haruna's.

You: "No, but, yeah, but no, it makes me angry to see it.
Yui's is a catchphrase, Haruna's is physical violence. Hardly the same.

Quote:
You: Haruna has been doing the exact same beat down as soon as Rito does something perverted. She's so predictable.

Me: Yui catch phrase is 'Shameless' for a fucking reason. (And I'd like to point out that Haruna only smacks him when he touches her pervertedly. Not at the slightest hint of perverted activity)

You: But she's grown out of that now, and only does it out of jelousy

Me: yet in this very chapter she continues to scold away.
I never said she grew out of the scolding, but the beat downs that usually accompanied it.

Quote:
And Yui has never stopped scolding Rito, except on one or two rare occasions (the same could be said for Haruna).
Really? Name one instance where Haruna didn't inflict pain on Rito when he 'molested' her.

Quote:
Though you do have a point, she should probably work on that.
'probably'? More like 'definitely'. Being portrayed as a sadist in that one chapter certainly didn't help her image.

Quote:
The extent of Yui's reformation is that she now knows that Rito is not the shameless beast she first thought he was (something Haruna has known for quite awhile), but she still scolds him for indecent behaviour, accidental or not.
She's proven that she'll only scold Rito depending on the circumstances, whereas Haruna will strike Rito regardless.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42380&dateline=119337  1797
Now: JoJo, Barakamon, P4G, YnS, AoHaru, Sabagebu, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO2, Glasslip, Ilya
Next: Shinmai Maou, NNB s2

Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 15:35   Link #2278
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Nope, but Haruna's not winning any points with me by always resorting to violence.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Yui has shown, however, that she won't scold Rito when the two are alone. The same can't be said for Haruna.
That's one of my points. Yui does it to scold. Haruna does it out of a knee-jerk reaction to the guy she likes feeling her up out of the blue. She gets scared and nervous. There's no evil intent behind it.

Quote:
Of course she'd say it in that situation, they're at school and she has an image to uphold as the morals officer. But she never strikes him.

Yui's is a catchphrase, Haruna's is physical violence. Hardly the same.

I never said she grew out of the scolding, but the beat downs that usually accompanied it.
Like you said, she hasn't hit him for awhile. She grew out of that. Then again, though you say she did it purely becasue they were at school, most of Haruna's reactions fall under the same category you know.

Like I said, the scolding and violence reaction is fundamentally the same, but you are absolutely correct that Harunas is worse and she needs to stop it.

Quote:
Really? Name one instance where Haruna didn't inflict pain on Rito when he 'molested' her.
Hmm. I'll need to come back to you on this one.

I've seen some times when Haruna gets into pervy situations with him and she doesn't smack him, but those have weird circumstances around them.

For example, during the time that Haruna stayed at Rito's after dinner and they thought Sabuki was a burglar - Rito grabbed Haruna's ass and she smacked him for it. But right after that they stuffed themselves in a tight little cupbourd where Rito's knee rubbed against her crotch. Haruna dismissed it as unimportant.

Another time was when Haruna landed on his face as usual - except they were distracted by the killer dinosaur.

Another was during Haruna's birthday party, when they played twister. Lala ended up scolding him that time

I even found a time when Rito stumbled and Haruna caught him from behind, her hands in the exact position Rito's usually end up in. Then she told him to hold still while she soaked up the sensation, mentally telling herself that she needed to exercise self control

The time way back when during the sea-side school trip, when Haruna hide him under the covers may or may not count

During Trouble Quest Haruna landed on Rito's face, but Haruna simply seemed to jump off him. Yui was the one to kick him that time
----

I found at least one. Chapter 27. He falls forward and grabs her ass, but she just runs away. Ah, that was a long time ago.


I'd like to take this time to mention two things. 1 - I'd forgotten how bloody cute Haruna looks with bangs. See chaps 77 and 135 and you'll understand what I mean. and 2 - Man, those two can get in a really good mood when nothing prevy happens to interrupt them.

Thanks Freeter. Debating with you made me think back to possible scenes, which lead me to check on said scenes, which lead me to reread some awesome Haruna chapters.

Quote:
'probably'? More like 'definitely'. Being portrayed as a sadist in that one chapter certainly didn't help her image.
See above. You can't really keep that against her though. She wasn't exactly in her right mind that chapter


Quote:
She's proven that she'll only scold Rito depending on the circumstances, whereas Haruna will strike Rito regardless.
Like I said, only three or 4 times she hasn't laid into him. The circumstances seem to be that they have to be alone and Yui needs to bein a particularly good mood. It helps if something happens to take their mind off it.
__________________

Last edited by Ashaman; 2011-08-19 at 17:49.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 16:00   Link #2279
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soraya21 View Post
After this chapter, I have to say that it's become somewhat of a mystery on where Yui gets her figure from seeing that it obviously doesn't come from genetics.
I'm not so sure about that. Yui's mom looked quite cute in that little flashback, and keep in mind that was after giving birth to two children. It's possible she was a major hottie back when she was Yui's age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Of course not, because it would be out of character for her to do so. Still doesn't excuse her for hitting the poor guy. Yui and Yami have already reformed since the start of this new series, why can't she?
... Because she's getting basically no screentime in this new series, and thus there is no way for her character to grow? So far, she's only appeared for some quick fanservice and to serve as Yui's foil in this chapter.

You're almost making it sound like Haruna's on the level of the yanderes in BakaTest. Yes, she's hit Rito quite a few times when he groped her - just like Yami and Yui did. Furthermore, unlike Yami, she doesn't hit him on purpose - As Ashaman said, it's just an automatic reaction. Although you could argue that if that's truly the case, then she should hit Risa as well. Err, let's just say she can instinctively tell when it's a woman doing the groping
Still, she's clearly not doing it on purpose.

I've been re-reading the series in anticipation of the final volume getting released next week over here, and I must say I find Haruna more likable then I remembered. I had totally forgotten she hid Rito in her futon when he was about to be found out by the other girls during the class trip, for example. Her main flaw is her passivity imo, but it's not like the other girls of the series aside from Momo are very proactive when it comes to romance.

It's perfectly fine to dislike her (I don't like her that much myself, she's my least favorite along with Nana in fact), but I don't think she's done anything that warrants the sheer hatred she's getting in this thread.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-19, 16:14   Link #2280
Ashaman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
I've been re-reading the series in anticipation of the final volume getting released next week over here, and I must say I find Haruna more likable then I remembered. I had totally forgotten she hid Rito in her futon when he was about to be found out by the other girls during the class trip, for example. Her main flaw is her passivity imo, but it's not like the other girls of the series aside from Momo are very proactive when it comes to romance.
Just wait til you get to Trouble Game and to a lesser extent In the Midst of Darkness. Just looking over those two chapters made me HNNNNGGGG

Another thing my rereading of some chapters makes me remember - Rito actually has an active libido, fantasizing about Haruna coming into his room at night wanting to sleep with him one night, and then on another day imagining Haruna bnt over, ass in the air and skirt rolled up and telling him to take responsibility.

Also, he used to kick the crap out of Ren. Which was actually rather awesome
__________________

Last edited by Ashaman; 2011-08-19 at 16:28.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecchi, harem, manga, nudity, romance, sci-fi, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.