AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-21, 09:40   Link #15961
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Sometimes they don't even wait till the monkey is dead before the chimps start eating.
Sound almost like some corporate way to me
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 09:46   Link #15962
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
More fuss over food.

Currying favour with new foreign friends
Quote:
Singapore (Aug 21, Sun): It takes a lot to start a mass campaign with political overtones in Singapore, but there's no better catalyst than food.

Tens of thousands of people in the South-east Asian city-state said they would cook or eat curry today in a protest highlighting growing anger over increased immigration.

The campaign began after an immigrant family from China complained about the smell of curry from a Singaporean-Indian neighbour's home and local officials brought about a compromise.

A Facebook page devoted to the row after reports were published in a local newspaper has drawn over 57,600 members, many of whom said they were cooking curry today in a show of solidarity with the Indian family.

Residents say curry is a Singaporean dish and that immigrants, including those from China, should accept it as a part of the local culture.

"The case could create problems with the integration of foreign nationals," said Ms Florence Leow, a freelance writer in her 40s who was one of the organisers of the event.

"Through this event, we hope to cook and share a pot of curry and get to appreciate and embrace our culture."

The influx of immigrants is a sensitive subject in Singapore, where only about two-thirds of the people are citizens. Many Singaporeans say the city-state's relatively easy immigration policies are attracting too many foreigners, making it more difficult to find jobs and pushing up prices of homes.

REUTERS
No, we're not talking about Japanese curry for wusses. Yes, we're talking about real curry, complete with all the heavy-duty spices that'll give your sinuses a good workout.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 11:05   Link #15963
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
More fuss over food.

Currying favour with new foreign friends


No, we're not talking about Japanese curry for wusses. Yes, we're talking about real curry, complete with all the heavy-duty spices that'll give your sinuses a good workout.
I've found that Chinese people tend to not like foreign food very much. Perhaps that's because Chinese cusine is so good already, but seriously, if you go somewhere you should accept the food they eat there.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 12:06   Link #15964
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
More fuss over food.

Currying favour with new foreign friends


No, we're not talking about Japanese curry for wusses. Yes, we're talking about real curry, complete with all the heavy-duty spices that'll give your sinuses a good workout.
Curry, food of the gods ...Already getting hungry thinking of it. Btw, aren't Singaporeans used to Sambal (also delicious!) which can put curry to shame in terms of spicines or are the spicier versions more of a Malaysian/Indonesian thing?
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 15:11   Link #15965
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
A life without Meat is a life not worth living. Food is a joy I cannot do without.

Veganism sucks, 5 more years as a crippled old man ain't worth it if it means I have to live the rest of my life eating glorified rabbit food.
That's just your point of view, along with the view of most human beings in the planet. Just as the image of beauty in women is categorized as, white, slender, big breasts, blue eyes and nice ass.

You have been conditioned to like meat. Just as some tribes in the amazon like human flesh (By the way did you know that Pork tastes VERY similar to human flesh?, so every time you eat pork you might as well be eating a human).

Animal protein has been consistently linked to heart disease, bacterial infections, viral infections,
and cancer. Yes, eating animal protein is increasing your chances of getting cancer. Meat suppresses the creation of a specialized pancreatic enzyme that combats cancerous cells that naturally occur in your body. Good luck trying to get that message past MC Donald's, The American Cancer Society, the pharmaceutic industry, farms and much, much more

I still like meat, I can't deny it. But I am sure as hell trying to replace my eating habits because I know it will be better for my health in the long run. You are what you eat.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 15:37   Link #15966
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
That's just your point of view, along with the view of most human beings in the planet. Just as the image of beauty in women is categorized as, white, slender, big breasts, blue eyes and nice ass.

You have been conditioned to like meat. Just as some tribes in the amazon like human flesh (By the way did you know that Pork tastes VERY similar to human flesh?, so every time you eat pork you might as well be eating a human).
And human tastes delicious!

(Just kidding. It depends on how it's prepared.)

Quote:
Animal protein has been consistently linked to heart disease, bacterial infections, viral infections,
and cancer. Yes, eating animal protein is increasing your chances of getting cancer. Meat suppresses the creation of a specialized pancreatic enzyme that combats cancerous cells that naturally occur in your body. Good luck trying to get that message past MC Donald's, The American Cancer Society, the pharmaceutic industry, farms and much, much more
It's also be linked to our ancestors developing big brains. I'd rather take my chances with a heart attack than with starving my brain.

Quote:
I still like meat, I can't deny it. But I am sure as hell trying to replace my eating habits because I know it will be better for my health in the long run. You are what you eat.
And I'd rather be an ox and potatoes than soy beans.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 15:41   Link #15967
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Nonsense. How can anyone believe this no oils crap with all the recent information on heart-healthy fats? No meat and eggs? You're going to be missing out on carnitine, taurine, and have a much harder time finding a whole host of other helpful nutrients. Only thing I can agree on is no dairy, but in the case of certain Western Europeans dairy is perfectly healthy.

Many people on this heart attack proof diet will end up diabetic as they will be too reliant on carbohydrate intake. Not to say a vegan diet is impossible to pull off, but the average person (in my opinion) will have a tough time meeting their nutrient requirements.

Certain people have the genetic makeup to handle and thrive on carbohydrate intake. Many others must try to remain somewhat in line with our ancestral eating habits. A good rule of thumb is looking at how long your ancestors were exposed to routine carbohydrate intake - in East Asians the adaptation is strong; in Inuits there is no adaptation whatsoever. So a Japanese male may be perfectly healthy eating his daily bowl of rice, but such frequent servings could be dangerous or at the least detrimental to the Inuit, whose ancestors have largely lived off animal fats, organs and meat for thousands of years.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 16:54   Link #15968
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Furthermore, Meat builds muscle, and helps you grow more. One of the main reason that people's heights have grown so much over the past century is due to increased consumption of meat.

And let's also be honest, most people don't have the access (or willingness to eat) the large variety of nutrients required for a vegan diet, you need a ton of different vegetables to replace what you get from meat. And besides that, I don't know of a single population in the world that doesn't find meat delicious and a treat. I know of no tribal cultures that are completely averse to eating meat, in fact usually meat is integral to any celebration.

Also, Cannibalism is only rarely due to a desire for meat, it's usually performed for ritualistic reasons (By consuming another man's flesh you gain his strength)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 16:58   Link #15969
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
A properly nutritious vegan diet is horribly expensive to maintain. Most people just can't afford it. Cheap meat offers cheap protein. Might not be fillet mignon, but hey, it's still got the nutrients.

Edit, @Don: There are lots of religious groups who don't eat meat. Zen Buddhists and Jains, to give examples.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 17:56   Link #15970
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
A properly nutritious vegan diet is horribly expensive to maintain. Most people just can't afford it. Cheap meat offers cheap protein. Might not be fillet mignon, but hey, it's still got the nutrients.

Edit, @Don: There are lots of religious groups who don't eat meat. Zen Buddhists and Jains, to give examples.
I mistated, I meant I couldn't think of a tribal population that didn't like meat. But you're right, a lot of Indians are vegetarian. But that's more a weird influence of religion.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 18:04   Link #15971
JMvS
Rawrrr!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CH aka Chocaholic Heaven
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
some vegan refer to other big apes and how they don't eat meat. conveniently forgetting that chimps routinely band together to hunt monkeys. Sometimes they don't even wait till the monkey is dead before the chimps start eating.
Plus the fact that the strictly vegan ones have to consume their own feces in order to get some crucial amino acids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I mistated, I meant I couldn't think of a tribal population that didn't like meat. But you're right, a lot of Indians are vegetarian. But that's more a weird influence of religion.
Vegetarian yes, vegans no, as dairy are important in their diet and culture (Cows are not holy just for the heck of it, but because they provide milk).
__________________
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 18:21   Link #15972
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Seems like Gaddafi's son has been captured.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 18:37   Link #15973
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
You have been conditioned to like meat. Just as some tribes in the amazon like human flesh (By the way did you know that Pork tastes VERY similar to human flesh?, so every time you eat pork you might as well be eating a human).

Animal protein has been consistently linked to heart disease, bacterial infections, viral infections,
and cancer. Yes, eating animal protein is increasing your chances of getting cancer. Meat suppresses the creation of a specialized pancreatic enzyme that combats cancerous cells that naturally occur in your body. Good luck trying to get that message past MC Donald's, The American Cancer Society, the pharmaceutic industry, farms and much, much more
I'm sorry, but foodborne diseases are more indicative of poor sanitation or preparation than of issues with meat. If someone bothers to wash and cook their food and boil their water they'd be much healthier. Illnesses that arise from long term consumption of foods have a lot to do with living habits as well as what "good" food you are eating with the "bad". There is a balance to everything. Cannibalism is part of the spiritual practice of various tribes, though it may have arisen as a tradition to supplement a diet that had access to very little meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Furthermore, Meat builds muscle, and helps you grow more. One of the main reason that people's heights have grown so much over the past century is due to increased consumption of meat.
Better nutrition and more food in general is what helps people grow taller. We all have genetic blueprints for what our upper limits are, but depending on how well fed you are during your developmental period your body may or may not try to reach your full specifications. It's a bit of a natural failsafe too that keeps you from getting a body that your environment can't sustain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Certain people have the genetic makeup to handle and thrive on carbohydrate intake. Many others must try to remain somewhat in line with our ancestral eating habits. A good rule of thumb is looking at how long your ancestors were exposed to routine carbohydrate intake - in East Asians the adaptation is strong; in Inuits there is no adaptation whatsoever. So a Japanese male may be perfectly healthy eating his daily bowl of rice, but such frequent servings could be dangerous or at the least detrimental to the Inuit, whose ancestors have largely lived off animal fats, organs and meat for thousands of years.
For peoples who have traditionally lived in extreme climates like the Tibetan plateau or the Arctic, their bodies have developed a much higher metabolism that requires an intake of food with high caloric content that the non-meat food simply cannot provide. ie, they'd starve or be constantly hungry if they ate just veggies because their bodies burn things quickly for heat.
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 19:10   Link #15974
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I'm sorry, but foodborne diseases are more indicative of poor sanitation or preparation than of issues with meat. If someone bothers to wash and cook their food and boil their water they'd be much healthier. Illnesses that arise from long term consumption of foods have a lot to do with living habits as well as what "good" food you are eating with the "bad". There is a balance to everything. Cannibalism is part of the spiritual practice of various tribes, though it may have arisen as a tradition to supplement a diet that had access to very little meat.
Not everything is solved by cooking your food. E-coli is a pathogen that can withstand high temperatures. Some viruses can also survive in very inhospitable conditions.

I didn't talk about cannibalism, I only mentioned that pork tastes like human flesh and that is proven fact which has been ratified by cannibals. (Some firemen also hate the smell of roasted pork because it reminds them of burnt human flesh)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

It's also be linked to our ancestors developing big brains. I'd rather take my chances with a heart attack than with starving my brain.

This is so because protein is an essential building block of carbon based organisms. Flesh from animals or insects is the easiest and most readily available source. Also meat is the reflection of what the animal eats and how it lives, so meat contains more than just protein.

This is all good and dandy but we are primarily designed as herbivores. Our teeth and digestive track are build to assimilate and process plant life in a more efficient way than flesh. When you eat a nice juicy steak it may take days for it to be fully digested, this is one of the reason why eating meat makes us feel fuller faster.

Protein is abundant in the plant world, the problem is that depending on the region of the world you live in that source might be harder to obtain. However, due to our current technological development, those regional barriers "should be gone but, of course, that doesn't happen because the need for profit supersedes that of proper nutrition for the rest of the world.

Pound for pound plant life outweighs flesh life in terms of nutritional value. However, I still can't find a nutritional replacement for Salmon and eggs.

Have you heard of superfoods, they are almost entirely plant based. As Dr Morris puts it:
Quote:
Super Foods, also known as anti aging foods, are foods high in antioxidants as well as high concentrations of crucial nutrients that have been proven to help prevent and in some cases, reverse the effects of aging.
The list of superfoods is: (More and more are continued to be discovered)

* Red wine, water, and green tea.
* Avocado, broccoli, onions, peppers, soy, spinach, and sprouts, hot peppers, leeks, daikon radishes.
* Ašai, apples, blueberries, pomegranates, pumpkin, kiwi, oranges, and tomatoes.
* Wild salmon, turkey, eggs.
* Beans, barley, seeds, nuts, lentils, oats, walnuts and buckwheat.
* Cinnamon, dark chocolates, garlic, honey, extra virgin olive oil ("cold pressed"), sea salt, yogurt & kefir.
* Sea vegetables, irish moss, umeboshi plums, wheat grass, miso.

There is also a thing called Macrobiotics, which is an ancient diet, mostly based on superfoods, practiced by Asiatic cultures, mainly China and Japan, and which Michio Kushi brought to the western hemisphere. The macrobiotic diet makes the same claims that the article on heart attacks does, as well as preventing and reversing cancer, and extending life. Basically the article is not news at all and frankly I am surprised that it came to light, because I don't think the corporate owned media would want to publish such dangerous information for the market system. After all, the industry doesn't want to entice people to eat less meat.

Now onto protein and its absorption, yes it is true that meat usually contains more protein than plants, but it is not matter of quantity, it is a matter of how much and how efficiently your body absorbs it. Unfortunately for us meat eaters our body cannot process animal protein as efficiently as vegetable protein; we can only absorb 50% of the protein contained in meat whereas with plants we absorb 90% or more. Protein in meat usually has most of the amino acids required by the body for its proper functioning whereas plants usually contain incomplete amino acids so the need to combine them throughout the day is important, such as beans and rice, in order to get an adequate intake of protein.

Too much protein can also be a bad thing! We make protein too much of big deal in our culture. There is no single "best" source of protein out there, rather what is needed is to obtain your amino acids from various sources as to create a balanced diet.


PS. Just in case you haven't caught what I have been trying to hint at with these 2 posts; the cure for cancer already exists. It has been known in the west since the early 1900s by homeopathic medicine, which was later labeled as fake and full of swindles by the allopathic medicine establishment. All you have to do is limit your intake in animal protein.

The cure for cancer has been distorted by the industry because there is no money to be made and natural food cannot be patented, but chemical compounds can. But this is a topic for another day.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 19:18   Link #15975
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I swear, while a lot of what you say makes sense, you sure are taken in by every new-agey purveyor of snake oil that comes along...
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 19:50   Link #15976
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
This is all good and dandy but we are primarily designed as herbivores. Our teeth and digestive track are build to assimilate and process plant life in a more efficient way than flesh. When you eat a nice juicy steak it may take days for it to be fully digested, this is one of the reason why eating meat makes us feel fuller faster.
Humans evolved without access to a diet that fulfilled their essential amino acid requirements solely from plants. Rather, we evolved from a long line of omnivores that were better at killing and eating things than the things we ate. We can digest meat, break down the component proteins and fats and extract the amino acids and lipids we need to maintain protein production and cellular function. We were designed to eat meat. Food is broken down and of your system by the next day. Your gut is a queue; things move and push in one direction. If your body does not produce regular bowel movements then naturally it will stay in longer. Something like steak makes you feel fuller longer because your body has to work to digest the proteins into amino acids that can be absorbed by your intestines.

Quote:
Protein is abundant in the plant world, the problem is that depending on the region of the world you live in that source might be harder to obtain. However, due to our current technological development, those regional barriers "should be gone but, of course, that doesn't happen because the need for profit supersedes that of proper nutrition for the rest of the world.
So you would prefer large corporate soybean farms and nut tree groves outcompeting small farmers and ranchers? You would prefer to set up expensive greenhouses in non-temperate zones, pushing out the locals who rely on the land for grazing and wild edibles to farm protein for the greater good?


Quote:
Have you heard of superfoods, they are almost entirely plant based. As Dr Morris puts it:


The list of superfoods is: (More and more are continued to be discovered)
Take a moment and think. Many of these foods are part of traditional diets. Diets that are very much in practice by billions of people today. Many, if not all of these foods are not some lost or buried secret. I don't know under what conditions you grew up in, but these are more common sense staple foods than some "superfood" book selling buzzword.


Quote:
Now onto protein and its absorption, yes it is true that meat usually contains more protein than plants, but it is not matter of quantity, it is a matter of how much and how efficiently your body absorbs it. Unfortunately for us meat eaters our body cannot process animal protein as efficiently as vegetable protein; we can only absorb 50% of the protein contained in meat whereas with plants we absorb 90% or more. Protein in meat usually has most of the amino acids required by the body for its proper functioning whereas plants usually contain incomplete amino acids so the need to combine them throughout the day is important, such as beans and rice, in order to get an adequate intake of protein.
No, there is no such thing as 'incomplete amino acids'. There are essential amino acids and non-essential--essential are what your body cannot produce by itself and that is why we need a regular intake. Meat is eaten because it contains all these essential amino acids without having to have x, y, and z non-meats as sources. And good luck trying to introduce non-traditional grains or legumes into cultures where they don't exist. I know many people who would call this cultural genocide.

Quote:
PS. Just in case you haven't caught what I have been trying to hint at with these 2 posts; the cure for cancer already exists. It has been known in the west since the early 1900s by homeopathic medicine, which was later labeled as fake and full of swindles by the allopathic medicine establishment. All you have to do is limit your intake in animal protein.

The cure for cancer has been distorted by the industry because there is no money to be made and natural food cannot be patented, but chemical compounds can. But this is a topic for another day.
That is absolute garbage. There is no cure for cancer because it is the failure of multiple genetic factors that varies between types of cancers. The body has multiple failsafes against cancer that systematically fail as a person ages due the the degradation associated with having your damn cells copy themselves x^whatever number of times during a lifetime. You're essentially saying rich corporate industries buried something before the rich corporate interests were rich, corporate, or even existed.
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 20:00   Link #15977
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
PS. Just in case you haven't caught what I have been trying to hint at with these 2 posts; the cure for cancer already exists. It has been known in the west since the early 1900s by homeopathic medicine, which was later labeled as fake and full of swindles by the allopathic medicine establishment. All you have to do is limit your intake in animal protein.

The cure for cancer has been distorted by the industry because there is no money to be made and natural food cannot be patented, but chemical compounds can. But this is a topic for another day.
That's not a cure. That's prevention. Curing doesn't occur until after it happens.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 20:01   Link #15978
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Like I said, he buys every form of new-agey snake oil that comes down the pipe. Homeopathy is 100% absolute nonsense. If you don't believe me, search Youtube for "james randi homeopathy" if you want to see just how effective "homeopathic medicine" really is.

Spoiler: it's just water.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 20:06   Link #15979
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
More fuss over food.

Currying favour with new foreign friends

No, we're not talking about Japanese curry for wusses. Yes, we're talking about real curry, complete with all the heavy-duty spices that'll give your sinuses a good workout.
Why curry, not Chicken Rice, or such? I think it is aimed directly at the PRCs migrants who brought along their "survival of the fittest" attitudes here with utter disregard of the local citizens and culture. I am absolutely fine with PRCs, only when they stop quoting "Singaporean Chinese should stand with the race of their forefathers" (like I fucking care - I have small amounts of Malay blood, but I find it difficult to give a damn about race of either of my parents' side) or "survival of the fittest" to undermine others.

Well nothing will be done, protest or not, the 2m labour import project is already well underway. Simply put, no matter who we put at the top, it is always about GDP and international image rather than citizens' emotional well-being. The local government has been rather weak with their communication in the past 5 years - the 40+ years growth of laurels must have been getting too comfortable.

Time to trim the plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
For what he has done to the Libyan people, a fujoshi should just draw a BL manga between him and Gaddafi's spokesman.

There is no better form of redemption than ultimate shame.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 20:59   Link #15980
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
I swear, while a lot of what you say makes sense, you sure are taken in by every new-agey purveyor of snake oil that comes along...
Then you define me as a gullible person. Well lets talk about being gullible, I say that everything you know comes from the environment in which you were raised. The knowledge of most people in this current world is obtained from monetarily driven media. Now ask yourself, is there scientific knowledge that has been suppressed by the market system because the knowledge can bring down an economic system? Did you know you can create water from the planet's air by condensing the hydrogen in it? Did you know that the devise already exists? Why is it that most people haven't heard of it? Why hasn't it been implemented in water-starved areas already? What about green energy? Why not look further in to zero point energy or solar energy?

I claim that what you know and what you believe is the product of the profit driven social system. Reagan said it himself after all: "Government is not part of the solution is part of the problem". Of course, there is a little marvelous invention called the internet which has brought chaos to the good old political systems, media establishments and industries alike. * sarcasm* Not to worry though, we need to protect our children from internet porn, and cut the communication of terrorist groups across the globe. So it is important to regulate the internet! */end sarcasm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Humans evolved without access to a diet that fulfilled their essential amino acid requirements solely from plants. Rather, we evolved from a long line of omnivores that were better at killing and eating things than the things we ate. We can digest meat, break down the component proteins and fats and extract the amino acids and lipids we need to maintain protein production and cellular function. We were designed to eat meat. Food is broken down and of your system by the next day. Your gut is a queue; things move and push in one direction. If your body does not produce regular bowel movements then naturally it will stay in longer. Something like steak makes you feel fuller longer because your body has to work to digest the proteins into amino acids that can be absorbed by your intestines.
What argument are you trying to counter here? I said almost the same thing. The only difference is that you think that meat and plant life are digested and assimilated at same rate which is of course false.

Quote:
So you would prefer large corporate soybean farms and nut tree groves outcompeting small farmers and ranchers? You would prefer to set up expensive greenhouses in non-temperate zones, pushing out the locals who rely on the land for grazing and wild edibles to farm protein for the greater good?
Why is "green" energy expensive? Because it is scarce. It takes billions of dollars to in order to develop efficient alternate methods of energy. It is the same with food. In the US is cheaper to buy a can of soda than a bottle of water. It is cheaper to buy a Big Mac than a couple of tomatoes.

What needs to happen is to A) Start promoting fruits and vegetables more than items that go into your regular fast food item, B) Centralize the production of food and empower local farms. What we eat comes from distant places and it is usually a week old. I has also lost over 60% of its nutritional value.


Quote:
Take a moment and think. Many of these foods are part of traditional diets. Diets that are very much in practice by billions of people today. Many, if not all of these foods are not some lost or buried secret. I don't know under what conditions you grew up in, but these are more common sense staple foods than some "superfood" book selling buzzword.
Yes! they are well known and consumed regularly but the trick is to "to know what you eat and what it does to your body, you should care about which foods raise or lowers your alkaline levels, which foods have a high acidic value and much more because this is crucial to your well being. This is something that the vast majority of people don't know. The aim of the term superfoods is to increase nutritional awareness. It is the task of the consumer to properly identify them.


Quote:
No, there is no such thing as 'incomplete amino acids'. There are essential amino acids and non-essential--essential are what your body cannot produce by itself and that is why we need a regular intake. Meat is eaten because it contains all these essential amino acids without having to have x, y, and z non-meats as sources. And good luck trying to introduce non-traditional grains or legumes into cultures where they don't exist. I know many people who would call this cultural genocide.
You are not arguing anything here, let me rephrase: Amino acids can be produced by the body, this are called non-essential amino acids. Plant life usually does not contain all the necessary amino acids in one source, this is why it is important to combine various sources in order to get the necessary amount protein. For example, eating rice and beans gives you all the building blocks. You don't have to eat both at the same time either, the body can combine different amino acids in a day's spam.

If you want to introduce non native foods into a culture all you got to do is use the media. Yes the same media that makes you believe what it wants you to believe.

Quote:
That is absolute garbage. There is no cure for cancer because it is the failure of multiple genetic factors that varies between types of cancers. The body has multiple failsafes against cancer that systematically fail as a person ages due the the degradation associated with having your damn cells copy themselves x^whatever number of times during a lifetime. You're essentially saying rich corporate industries buried something before the rich corporate interests were rich, corporate, or even existed.
Let us be clear, cancer cannot be absolutely removed from our species. Cancer is a part of mutation and as such it is part of the evolutive process. Everyone produces cancerous cells, we all live with cancer in a way, the problem is when you have too many mutated cells in your body. It is the human induced cancers that can be cured and prevented. These cancers are byproducts of our food and chemical industries which introduce imbalances to our bodies. Japanese people for example used to have a very low rate of cancer compared to the rest of the modern world, but ever since the induction of western products, including food, they have begun to lose that advantage.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.