AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 10:53   Link #141
marvelB

Speaking of Chopper, I look forward to his next bounty hike, as well. IMO, as the crew's faithful pet, he's more than deserving of that extra 50 berry!

BTW, I've just reread the chapter and yet another thing occurred to me after checking out the scene with Sanji's sky walk: Since we've seen characters adapt rokushiki-style moves to their repertoire of techniques (Luffy with Soru, Sanji with Geppou), I'm wondering if we'll see human characters who can use merman karate techniques, as well? Like maybe a person who has no DF and a low aptitude for Haki can still be considered a force to be reckoned with in the NW because they can use a martial art that literally manipulates the air's water vapor. I think it would be pretty awesome if someone like that were amongst one of the Yonkou's crews.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 04:16   Link #142
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Actually he was refereed to as Second-in-Command, never First mate. Like it was said before, Oda is very careful when using that word.

Anyways, people read way too much into things sometimes.
the manga translation on the chapter said "first mate" though. perhaps it's a translation error? but isn't second-in-command basically another term for first mate?

Quote:
So which one is it? It's either A or B, it can't be both.
i was merely pointing out the possibilities so either way is possible. fights are won differently in different situations. it's not like i said sanji is weaker than zoro whether in skill, physical strength or mental capabilities, i never claimed that. at this point, we don't know who will win so i gave two possibilities.

Quote:
Look as Japanses boy band, I mean, middle-aged men band, SMAP. (not a fan of their music except their individual acting jobs) One would argue Takuya Kimura is their leader, consider his acting fame, looks, female popularity, etc. Yet their leader is Masahiro Nakai, who often being referred to as "that person" in the group and generally considered to have the worse voice and singing technique. Even Arashi's leader turns out to be the least glamorous of its member. Actually, now I think about this might have become the norm in Japanese pop groups....
lol japanese boy bands as examples?! i'm not a fan either but a friend of mine is so i'm familiar with these guys. from what i know the leader of the group is usually the most senior one. japanese folks give a lot of importance to age and seniority, they look up to their senpai and rely on them for almost everything. not all bands follow this pattern though, some choose their leaders based on who first made it into the band. kimura takuya became a famous actor after he joined SMAP so it's unlikely that he was the first member to join the band that's why he wasn't chosen as the leader. that's as far as i know though. correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2011-08-24 at 04:27.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 04:41   Link #143
marvelB

New spoiler's out.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 08:45   Link #144
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
the manga translation on the chapter said "first mate" though. perhaps it's a translation error? but isn't second-in-command basically another term for first mate?
If you are talking about the chapter when Zoro was facing the Charlos, yes, that's translation error. I don't know what the Viz translation is but keep in mind the one on lines are fan-translation therefore could (and often do) contain errors.

The original words used as others pointed out was more like "the second", which could mean anything from second highest bounty, or second prominent figure. (from an ousider's eye) And the Taiwanese Edition that I'm collection also made sure they didn't use the word first-mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post

lol japanese boy bands as examples?! i'm not a fan either but a friend of mine is so i'm familiar with these guys. from what i know the leader of the group is usually the most senior one. japanese folks give a lot of importance to age and seniority, they look up to their senpai and rely on them for almost everything. not all bands follow this pattern though, some choose their leaders based on who first made it into the band. kimura takuya became a famous actor after he joined SMAP so it's unlikely that he was the first member to join the band that's why he wasn't chosen as the leader. that's as far as i know though. correct me if i'm wrong.
That was stupid, I know, but I used MLB/sport reference and no one seeems to get it so I thought boy band would work better to their liking...

Personally I don't know how SMAP picked their leader but the group have alwasy had the same members since after their debut (minus one person left a years or two later). Before their official debut they were like AKB having rotation type thing. I'm pretty Kimura was the same age as Nakai (or just a year younger) and is older that the other 3 member. (4 if youcount the one that left) no only that, Kimura is also the featured member in center position, whichusually occupied by leader as well that's why I used them. Arashi's leader was famous that he got the position through Rock-Scissors-Paper game and behind one of the lessor vocal member in the group as well.

The point I was try to make is that there are also those who gets the title without filling all requirement typically needed for the position, or is not the best qualified from outsider's view...
Old 2011-08-24, 08:45   Link #145
yakumo-chan

isnt first mate = first recruit??
Old 2011-08-24, 09:01   Link #146
Undertaker

no, first-mate is defined as de facto second in command after the captain. While yes Zoro do seem to fill this role right now, but unless Oda officially appointed him, we can't just putting that title on him....

Case in point, Nami is often seen to bossing everyone around. Should we just start calling her the captain of SH?
Old 2011-08-24, 09:28   Link #147
yakumo-chan

oh... I thought first mate was a short call for "My first crewmate"

if first mate = second in command

if I were luffy I would pick Sanji(Strategist + fighting abilities),, but its luffy he might pick Zoro

but I think the straw hats dont need a first mate,,
I mean we can see that the "command" wasnt always came from luffy right?

Last edited by yakumo-chan; 2011-08-24 at 09:41.
yakumo-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 12:44   Link #148
Undertaker

Got it, I was wondering why your posts sound like they were since most of time you're a pretty logical person...

I agree with you, at this point Luffy don't need an official First Mate, and as you said we've seen orders from other crew mates not just Zoro throughout the series, despite that Zoro seem to be the most prominent on in more recent arc..

Personally, I would pick the girls due to their decision making abilities, knowledge, and intelligence. But I agree Sanji swould be a better choice if you also figure in fighting ability. The only think I would say is that both Sanji and Nami has defined role on ship-related operation so at this point, it might down to Zoro and Robin, but like you said, I think the say Oda purposely not naming anyone a First Mate yet is fine..