AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-15, 23:28   Link #921
etalocohc84
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Some random thoughts:

Spoiler for Terra route:
etalocohc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 00:30   Link #922
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Spoiler for Rewrite:


Quote:
Originally Posted by etalocohc84 View Post
Some random thoughts:

Spoiler for Terra route:
Spoiler for Terra route:

Last edited by Ceral; 2011-08-17 at 03:50.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 06:09   Link #923
Balzac
Assistant Professor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by etalocohc84 View Post
Some random thoughts:

Spoiler for Terra route:
Spoiler:


Puts on tin-foil hat
Spoiler for Don't open if you don't want to listen to a madman's ramblings:

Grr, won't get the music till next week. Ah well, I'm mostly rested from visual novels for now. (it's currently a very bloated industry, saturated by two parts mediocrity and one part sex)
__________________
Within each of us a thousand worlds

Last edited by Balzac; 2011-08-16 at 06:24.
Balzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 01:35   Link #924
Tomoyo89
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Where are you getting the OST? I would also like to purchase it at some point in time.
Tomoyo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 01:45   Link #925
Aaerul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
copy paste from my blog

According to the latest issue of Push!!, Rewrite sold 24,424 copies. Only. How depressing.

History of KEY games + sales

1999 Kanon 156,046 (console figures included)
2000 Air 168,233 (console figures included)
2004 Clannad 100,560 (console figures included)
2007 Little Busters 40,500 (consoles numbers about 90,000)
2008 Little Busters EX 36,836
2011 Rewrite 24,424 (wut?)
__________________
エロゲ記事 eroge updates
visualnovelaer.wordpress.com
Aaerul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 01:50   Link #926
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
There were a tad too many factors that weren't in favor for Rewrites sales sadly (and that's completely unrelated to its writing or story).
I personally wasn't expecting anything higher than 30K, but it is still sort of... "okay" if you look how things were rough.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 09:10   Link #927
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaerul View Post
copy paste from my blog

According to the latest issue of Push!!, Rewrite sold 24,424 copies. Only. How depressing.

History of KEY games + sales

1999 Kanon 156,046 (console figures included)
2000 Air 168,233 (console figures included)
2004 Clannad 100,560 (console figures included)
2007 Little Busters 40,500 (consoles numbers about 90,000)
2008 Little Busters EX 36,836
2011 Rewrite 24,424 (wut?)
Hmm very interesting. A 50% drop seems real bad, but I guess it's still in the same ballpark as Keys' other games if only PC sales are included, so it's not a complete flop, but still looks bad. I'm not sure I buy that the quake and the economy would have that bad of an impact on sales. A relatively popular show like Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii wake ga nai sold ~17k blu-ray copies/volume before the quake as well as after the quake (Oricon via ANN articles). Although this is a very narrow sighted generalization, when looking at anime sales in general earlier, shows like K-On, Madoka, Ano Hana are still killing the sales charts as if the economy wasn't hurting.

I always thought the all ages thing was more of an artistic thing than a selling point to younger fans. Looking at EX and LB, it looks like 18+ doesn't really hurt the sales at all. I would usually expect a sequel to sell less than the original, 90% of the original seems to be a strong figure. Anyone who played Clannad or LB probably wasn't that far away from 18 anyway. I doubt any 13 yr olds would scream at their parents to get them a galge for the PC.

When I went off about the 2nd OP earlier, I was trying to say that it looked like a bad idea to create a battle galge aimed at teens and pre-teens when you're a company whose fan-base are on the whole, mostly eroge players who don't care about the age-limit. (I must say after playing, this game was much more adult from a psychological perspective than most 18+ games, it was very thought-provoking. There are a lot of feelings of confusion, anger, and regret, that I consider more adult than ero scenes or grotesque violence. It made me think as much as Final Fantasy 7 back when I played that game 14 years ago, when I was very young. Actually I might say Rewrite is the closest thing to FF VII in feel than any other game/anime/novel and vice versa.)

Too bad though, with the amount of perceived advertising, along with Key Loyalists, fans of the new authors, and hype from the battle scenes everyone else created, I thought sales would be a lot better. I guess chances of getting a sequel are rather bleak now. Despite the bad things I said about the last routes of the game, most of the first available routes had some golden moments in them, and I feel like each route ended just a little bit earlier than I would have liked, a sequel/spin-off is something I hope for. Those sales numbers aren't exactly good news.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 09:23   Link #928
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Comparing Anime BD and Eroge/galge is a very very bad idea. Audience and context are arguably different.

The reasons you have mentioned are actually the very same that are factors that made the game not as successful as it could be.
The sales are actually not that bad considering all the factors against it.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 12:51   Link #929
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaerul View Post
copy paste from my blog

According to the latest issue of Push!!, Rewrite sold 24,424 copies. Only. How depressing.

History of KEY games + sales

1999 Kanon 156,046 (console figures included)
2000 Air 168,233 (console figures included)
2004 Clannad 100,560 (console figures included)
2007 Little Busters 40,500 (consoles numbers about 90,000)
2008 Little Busters EX 36,836
2011 Rewrite 24,424 (wut?)
Clannad figure doesn't include console ports, BTW. The PC version alone sold 100,560 units as of the end of 2004 (PS2 version of Clannad sold an extra ~30,000 copies, IIRC. Not sure about other platforms).

Quote:
I always thought the all ages thing was more of an artistic thing than a selling point to younger fans.
Correct. Selling an all ages game is always a risk. However, companies that are confident in their brand power (and storytelling appeal of their games) can do it.

Anyway, some things to consider:

a) the VN market has gone on a downward spiral over the last 5-6 years. It's no longer what it used to be, so we can't expect the same level of sales
b) PCNEWS used to track sales, but they went bankrupt in early 2007. Any new numbers are provided by different companies, and they may not be fully comparable
c) By estimation, a typical galge customer plays for only five years. Beyond, the success of future games depends on how well they've attracted new customers
d) Since LB, there's a reputation that Jun Maeda can still write, but the rest of Key sucks
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 13:22   Link #930
RedKey
天界の異端審問官
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Correct. Selling an all ages game is always a risk. However, companies that are confident in their brand power (and storytelling appeal of their games) can do it.
I feel like I'm missing something here. Not going against your reasoning, just trying to understand - I'm far from being an expert in this kind of stuff. Wouldn't a R rated game appeal only to... well, 20+ aged people since we're talking about Japan? Doesn't that exclude the huge part of the videogame market that are the teenagers? Yet, eroges actually sell more that all-ages games? Does that mean that the majority of players are 18-20 years old or more? Or is it for some other, completely different reason?
__________________
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 13:28   Link #931
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
You hardly see any japanese VN reader in their teens. Not saying it is that rare, but VN are in general for a very small niche market, vastly consisting of your usual "otaku" public.
This is also the reason that the major portions of VN sold in the market are actually eroge, sharing the high school romance setup a lot of times.

The ero appeal is always a sizable selling factor, that and the fact that it also "imply" themes involved can be mature (not saying an all ages VN cannot be mature, but you probably understood what I meant).
Even if the ero can be removed most of the time, without hurting the plot, well...
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 13:48   Link #932
RedKey
天界の異端審問官
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Oh. I see, thanks for the explanation!

Anyway, finally got to begin Lucia's route. I'm greatly enjoying it, but
Spoiler for Lucia route (and some Kotori):
__________________
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 19:11   Link #933
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Comparing Anime BD and Eroge/galge is a very very bad idea. Audience and context are arguably different.

The reasons you have mentioned are actually the very same that are factors that made the game not as successful as it could be.
The sales are actually not that bad considering all the factors against it.
Oreimo and Rewrite would be aimed at the same demographic, young adult males. If that same demographic is willing to fork over the same amount of money pre-quake vs post-quake for Oreimo, it doesn't seem far fetched to me to think that if they really wanted to, that the great majority of that demographic (I'm thinking something like 90%) could fork over the same amount of money for Rewrite too.

It's still the same demographic, are you trying to tell me Eroge/galge players are more stingy than Anime BD watchers after the quake?

As for the economy, I'm pretty sure they expected Rewrite to do a lot better than Kud Wafter which came out last year and did a respectable ~22k for an even more niche spin-off (Sales figure rom Aaerul's site). I'd have to check the credits when I have more freetime, but I'm pretty sure the staff for Rewrite are humongous when compared to that of KW (Making Rewrite not that profitable off of copies sold alone). The sales numbers for Rewrite seem disappointing to me no matter how you try to spin it. Maybe they can make up for it by selling a ton of merchandise though?


Ahaha, new Lucia pic I haven't seen before:
Spoiler for Pic for space:
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 20:32   Link #934
Jao
panchi~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Oreimo and Rewrite would be aimed at the same demographic, young adult males.
You only have to compare the amount of people browsing moe anime threads to those browsing galge game threads at any given time to see how bullshit that comparison is.

Visual novel playing is far far more niche a hobby than anime watching. Seriously.
__________________
In my world far removed from the actual
Safe in my small amorality capsule
I cruise far aloof of the other world's flaws
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 22:20   Link #935
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I would really love to hear what Klashikari's opinion of the entire game was like as well ^-^

I would also disagree with oreimo/ rewrite comparison, anime vs PC world is a different market in general.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 22:25   Link #936
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
It's still the same demographic, are you trying to tell me Eroge/galge players are more stingy than Anime BD watchers after the quake?
They are absolutely not the same demographic.
Galge/Eroge in general are -much- more niche than any non erotic anime series ever. Regardless its age limitation or the brand, it is definitely not the same consumers.

Quote:
As for the economy, I'm pretty sure they expected Rewrite to do a lot better than Kud Wafter which came out last year and did a respectable ~22k for an even more niche spin-off (Sales figure rom Aaerul's site). I'd have to check the credits when I have more freetime, but I'm pretty sure the staff for Rewrite are humongous when compared to that of KW (Making Rewrite not that profitable off of copies sold alone). The sales numbers for Rewrite seem disappointing to me no matter how you try to spin it. Maybe they can make up for it by selling a ton of merchandise though?
I really don't get why you can compare Kud Wafter with Rewrite:
-Kud Wafter had a better momentum, considering the titles released at the same period compared to Rewrite (june 2011 had more release in that regard)
-Kud Wafter is a spin off of an already established franchise, which means people have a better idea what to expect.
-Kud Wafter is cheaper by a huge margin. Regardless how short it is compared to rewrite, the fact its price tag is nearly 50% lower than Rewrite makes it easier to buy it.
-Kud Wafter is far more traditional in presentation than Rewrite, and it is quite a given when you compare how both games were portrayed during their respective marketing process.
-Loli sell. True story.

Even if Rewrite is a flagship title, it doesn't mean it should completely outclass a spin off, especially when the conditions regarding that spin off are way more favorable than the main title itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I would really love to hear what Klashikari's opinion of the entire game was like as well ^-^
I still have Terra left for me, but right now, I have nearly no spare time for VN whatsoever, and I'm trying to sort things out before I can indulge myself.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 01:37   Link #937
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
They are absolutely not the same demographic.
Galge/Eroge in general are -much- more niche than any non erotic anime series ever. Regardless its age limitation or the brand, it is definitely not the same consumers.

I really don't get why you can compare Kud Wafter with Rewrite:
-Kud Wafter had a better momentum, considering the titles released at the same period compared to Rewrite (june 2011 had more release in that regard)
-Kud Wafter is a spin off of an already established franchise, which means people have a better idea what to expect.
-Kud Wafter is cheaper by a huge margin. Regardless how short it is compared to rewrite, the fact its price tag is nearly 50% lower than Rewrite makes it easier to buy it.
-Kud Wafter is far more traditional in presentation than Rewrite, and it is quite a given when you compare how both games were portrayed during their respective marketing process.
-Loli sell. True story.

Even if Rewrite is a flagship title, it doesn't mean it should completely outclass a spin off, especially when the conditions regarding that spin off are way more favorable than the main title itself.


I still have Terra left for me, but right now, I have nearly no spare time for VN whatsoever, and I'm trying to sort things out before I can indulge myself.
Guys, I'm talking about the same demographic? (I.E. same age, sex, class. Nothing about personal tastes. Whenever I hear talk about television ratings, it's always about age and gender only.) Young-middle aged males who have a job who can pay for an ~8000¥ game? I'm not saying everyone who likes Rewrite buys Oreimo, that's not my argument at all. The idea I'm trying to convey is I seriously doubt the quake would effect young males who play eroge more than those who watch anime like Oreimo. Why would a quake specifically target young males who only play Eroge? That seems like a very dumb argument. The quake affected all young males regardless of their hobbies, if someone has proof that sales of everything that young males buy are down 50% on average than show me the proof. People who buy Oreimo aren't the people who bought Rewrite, no one is arguing that, but people who bought Oreimo were affected by the quake too, but that didn't stop them from buying the next volume, that's what I'm saying by my observation. Where you guys come up with me arguing that Oreimo fans are the same exact people who buy Rewrite is beyond me...

Yes, I'll give you 6000¥ vs 9000¥ retail might help sales. But I strongly disagree about it having other favorable conditions. Rewrite has it's own loli as well as six other strongly developed routes which captures a much wider audience than just the lolicon (As well as still luring the lolicon with Shizuru). With all of it's routes and quests Rewrite is a HUGE game compared to Kud Wafter, which justifies the larger price. Being a spinoff does not guarantee sells, anyone who played LB and didn't care much for Kud will already know that the game is not for them. Likely the only people who will buy the game are those who played LB and liked Kud, almost guaranteeing that the sales will only be a fraction of LB. With the new authors who span from other genres, as well as a "base" staff from Key, Rewrite should have had more mass appeal. My point is, people have money to spend on eroge/galge if they want to.

With them branching out to do other things, the expectation was for them to grab a wider audience and do better sales. The fact that they can do as many sales with a smaller staff and one writer aimed at an audience of eroge players who are interested only in loli, must make them think twice about what happened with Rewrite. Yes, KW is at a lower price, but I'm still guessing KW at this point is much more profitable if we only count revenue from copies sold (I'll bet a whole lot more of merchandise sells when you have 6 main heroines vs 1 and a few side characters.) A near 50% drop in sales for the flagship title has much more problems than just economic factors. I'll say it again, it's not like the quake targetted only eroge players. I doubt 15,000 eroge players said I'm not going to buy Rewrite because of the quake. IMO it definitely looks like other reasons.

Klashikari, didn't you skip most of Akane's route and drop Terra's route to play Noble Works? That's not quite a ringing endorsement, eh? Despite it's length, I think most people would continue to play if they found it interesting even if they didn't think they didn't have the time to "Indulge" in it to it's fullest. Even if you think what you're going to read is fun anyway, the fact that you put it on hold says that there's something "Different", about this galge... no? To completely ignore that and say there's nothing wrong with the writing or story seems very short sighted to me, especially when you found problems with the writing yourself personally.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 01:58   Link #938
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Guys, I'm talking about the same demographic? (I.E. same age, sex, class. Nothing about personal tastes. Whenever I hear talk about television ratings, it's always about age and gender only.)
Young-middle aged males who have a job who can pay for an ~8000¥ game? I'm not saying everyone who likes Rewrite buys Oreimo, that's not my argument at all. The idea I'm trying to convey is I seriously doubt the quake would effect young males who play eroge more than those who watch anime like Oreimo.
Demographic implies also the audience targeted towards X or Y product.
Why would a mainstream shounen series have more audience % than a harem romance equally targeted to the same gender and age range?
Demographic isn't only about age and gender, it also involves the type of audience, and how certain things are more prone to attract the general public or niche fanbase.

For instance, with your own criteria, OreImo and Naruto has the same targeted demographic, yet their sales are completely on a different league (and don't tell me it is because of writing difference...).
It is the genre that shifts dramatically the targeted demographic.
Quote:
Why would a quake specifically target young males who only play Eroge? That seems like a very dumb argument. The quake affected all young males regardless of their hobbies, if someone has proof that sales of everything that young males buy are down 50% on average than show me the proof. People who buy Oreimo aren't the people who bought Rewrite, no one is arguing that, but people who bought Oreimo were affected by the quake too, but that didn't stop them from buying the next volume, that's what I'm saying by my observation. Where you guys come up with me arguing that Oreimo fans are the same exact people who buy Rewrite is beyond me...
The burden of proof has nothing to do with your over generalization. The hobbies are drastically different and are also especially not mutually exclusive.
Anime fans may not be eroge players, while a huge chunk of eroge players do follow anime series in general. From this perspective, the former spend on -less stuff- than the latter who have more things on their plate.
That's also gross generalization but it gives you the idea how the groups aren't exactly sharing the same basis of expenses whatsoever.
Quote:
Yes, I'll give you 6000¥ vs 9000¥ retail might help sales. But I strongly disagree about it having other favorable conditions. Rewrite has it's own loli as well as six other strongly developed routes which captures a much wider audience than just the lolicon (As well as still luring the lolicon with Shizuru).
That's not the point. Kud Wafter offers something Rewrite don't: porn with a loli.
Of course, I do not pretend that people will buy KW only for that, but there is a certain portion of the audience getting more reason with just that factor.
Quote:
With all of it's routes and quests Rewrite is a HUGE game compared to Kud Wafter, which justifies the larger price. Being a spinoff does not guarantee sells, anyone who played LB and didn't care much for Kud will already know that the game is not for them. Likely the only people who will buy the game are those who played LB and liked Kud, almost guaranteeing that the sales will only be a fraction of LB. With the new authors who span from other genres, as well as a "base" staff from Key, Rewrite should have had more mass appeal. My point is, people have money to spend on eroge/galge if they want to.
And how Rewrite was supposed to have a larger appeal? Heck you said it yourself countless times: you were worried like hell by the "shounen" aspect of the story.
A lot of people were wondering if Key wasn't shifting genre too dramatically, and the absolute fact there is no data about it before playing it aside of premises and setup don't help. Kud Wafter has arguably a better appeal because of LB, even if there are people who wouldn't dig in (like me).
Quote:
Klashikari, didn't you skip most of Akane's route and drop Terra's route to play Noble Works? That's not quite a ringing endorsement, eh? Despite it's length, I think most people would continue to play if they found it interesting even if they didn't think they didn't have the time to "Indulge" in it to it's fullest.
I certainly believe you know little to nothing of my habits, so I wonder why you can make such assumption.
Truth that I don't have much liking towards Akane's route, and? What does it has anything to do here? Moreso: there is no reason my own take of the VN has any impact or any relevancy to the game popularity or strengths whatsoever.
I don't represent a majority whatsoever, and I rarely read a VN in its entierety in a single run, especially past a certain length (heck, Noble Works is arguably shorter than Rewrite and I only read 2 of the 5 routes despite I enjoy it as well).
I do enjoy things at my own pace, and there are extremely rare cases where I actually read everything within a week or something.
Quote:
Even if you think what you're going to read is fun anyway, the fact that you put it on hold says that there's something "Different", about this galge... no? To completely ignore that and say there's nothing wrong with the writing or story seems very short sighted to me, especially when you found problems with the writing yourself personally.
I never said there isn't any writing issues. I said: there were issues -outside- of the writing that wasn't in favor to Rewrite.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 03:15   Link #939
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Demographic implies also the audience targeted towards X or Y product.
Why would a mainstream shounen series have more audience % than a harem romance equally targeted to the same gender and age range?
Demographic isn't only about age and gender, it also involves the type of audience, and how certain things are more prone to attract the general public or niche fanbase.

For instance, with your own criteria, OreImo and Naruto has the same targeted demographic, yet their sales are completely on a different league (and don't tell me it is because of writing difference...)
Shonen is by it's definition aimed at preteens, it's a show primarily aimed at the males below 18- age group. OreImo is most definitely a seinen show aimed at males 18+ who have the money to burn on dvds/blu-rays. Rewrite is definitely aimed at males 18+ as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The burden of proof has nothing to do with your over generalization. The hobbies are drastically different and are also especially not mutually exclusive.
Anime fans may not be eroge players, while a huge chunk of eroge players do follow anime series in general. From this perspective, the former spend on -less stuff- than the latter who have more things on their plate.
That's also gross generalization but it gives you the idea how the groups aren't exactly sharing the same basis of expenses whatsoever.
If the 18+ males group were truly hurting I think sales across the board for everything aimed at them would be down(besides essentials, Oreimo definitely is not an essential ). I really don't want to argue that Oreimo and Rewrite are similar forms of entertainment. But I hope you can see that they do have a lot in common, that they are aimed at the same gender and age group, and also have similar costs. Why that different subgroups of that same group would budget their finances because of economic factors to cut Rewrite but not Oreimo out of their expenses in a manner that you would see such a drastic plunge in sales?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's not the point. Kud Wafter offers something Rewrite don't: porn with a loli.
Of course, I do not pretend that people will buy KW only for that, but there is a certain portion of the audience getting more reason with just that factor.
Ugh, don't remind me. Or maybe yes, remind me .
All of you bastards better have bought Rewrite, it's like 10x easier to import because it's not ero. Ironically I feel like I got slapped in the face with the Japan only warning. Meh I feel like Rewrite should have done a lot more than Kud Wafter, I'd like to believe it was only economic factors but it's naive IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
And how Rewrite was supposed to have a larger appeal? Heck you said it yourself countless times: you were worried like hell by the "shounen" aspect of the story.
A lot of people were wondering if Key wasn't shifting genre too dramatically, and the absolute fact there is no data about it before playing it aside of premises and setup don't help. Kud Wafter has arguably a better appeal because of LB, even if there are people who wouldn't dig in (like me).
Aye, but I bought it anyway because I thought, or rather, I actually knew it still appealed to me from playing the trial version. Rewrite confused me, bored me, and dazzled me with it's greatness sometimes. Personally I didn't mind the genre shift, but the parts that dragged were close to being unforgivable. I especially feel sad that the game didn't have any "Poignant" climax scene. That's the trade-off for this genre shift battle galge that I regret the most. A lot of people do seem to think it's poignant though, I'm thinking about rereading it again to try to understand that point of view... hmm.

Well, I think Key's hope was that they would grab a whole lot more fans than just the usual crowd with the genre shift game, even though I had my reservations, I still expected sales to be better, but I was weary of what new kind of game they were making, and if they had tried too hard to attract the shonen 18- crowd. Ultimately, I don't think they writers did much at all to attract the 18- crowd, although they did make something very different and... unique. At least compared to the things I played. More than anything with the tag "Moe", it reminds me of FF VII, Xenogears, I think this game would have fared better as an RPG. Maybe that hurt the game since it's supposed to be a galge about the heroine's. Meh, I don't even know what I'm talking about now. They did something strange and it doesn't seem to have paid off. They lost buyers instead of gaining more. Whatever the factors are, worse sales are just bad. Personally I'm unsatisfied with the story, I didn't have a problem with the game up until the opening day of sales though and a month after that too. Perhaps those who wait awhile to get the game are getting put off by the more extreme reviews. Is it just the economy? Is it just the quake? It would be nice to believe it was if you were Key or really liked Rewrite, but I think it's more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I certainly believe you know little to nothing of my habits, so I wonder why you can make such assumption.
Truth that I don't have much liking towards Akane's route, and? What does it has anything to do here? Moreso: there is no reason my own take of the VN has any impact or any relevancy to the game popularity or strengths whatsoever.
I don't represent a majority whatsoever, and I rarely read a VN in its entierety, especially past a certain length (heck, Noble Works is arguably shorter than Rewrite and I only read 2 of the 5 routes despite I enjoy it as well).
I know nothing about you, but you did say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
There were a tad too many factors that weren't in favor for Rewrites sales sadly (and that's completely unrelated to its writing or story).
I personally wasn't expecting anything higher than 30K, but it is still sort of... "okay" if you look how things were rough.
When you say "completely unrelated", I took it like you were not blaming the writing or story at all. It sounds weird to me to hear someone complain about some of the writing and drop the game during the finale route and then claim the writing and story were "Completely unrelated" to the sales. But, I see now you're just talking about the factors though with that comment and thought that the writing may have possibly affected sales?...


Edit: If you care about the semantics of demographic and because you guys make me want to be petty: (From wiki, which despite what your professors will say is almost always quite true. At least this should prove that I'm not insane, which I feel like when talking to most of you. Note, I am not telling you it's ok to quote wiki for your thesis.) "Demographics are the statistical characteristics of a population. These types of data are used widely in sociology (and especially in the subfield of demography), public policy, and marketing. Commonly examined demographics include gender, race, age, disabilities, mobility, home ownership, employment status, and even location. Demographic trends describe the changes in demographics in a population over time (for example, the average age of a population may increase or decrease over time). Both distributions and trends of values within a demographic variable are of interest.

Marketers typically combine several variables to define a demographic profile. A demographic profile (often shortened to "a demographic") provides enough information about the typical member of this group to create a mental picture of this hypothetical aggregate. For example, a marketer might speak of the single, female, middle-class, age 18 to 24, college educated demographic.

Marketing researchers typically have two objectives in this regard: first to determine what segments or subgroups exist in the overall population; and secondly to create a clear and complete picture of the characteristics of a typical member of each of these segments. Once these profiles are constructed, they can be used to develop a marketing strategy and marketing plan. The five types of demographics for marketing are age, gender, income level, race and ethnicity."

If I ever hear someone talk about the visual novel or anime watching demographic, that will be a first.

Last edited by Ceral; 2011-08-26 at 07:30. Reason: grammar
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 04:34   Link #940
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Shonen is by it's definition is aimed at preteens, it's a show primarily aimed at the males below 18- age group. OreImo is most definitely a seinen show aimed at males 18+ who have the money to burn on dvds/blu-rays. Rewrite is definitely aimed at males 18+ as well.
...Considering the themes and everything brought on the face in OreImo, I have hard time to consider it as seinen, but your milage may vary.
Quote:
If the 18+ males group were truly hurting I think sales across the board for everything aimed at them would be down(besides essentials, Oreimo definitely is not an essential ). I really don't want to argue that Oreimo and Rewrite are similar forms of entertainment. But I hope you can see that they do have a lot in common, that they are aimed at the same gender and age group, and also have similar costs. Why that different subgroups of that same group would budget their finances because of economic factors to cut Rewrite but not Oreimo out of there expenses in a manner that you would see such a drastic plunge in sales?
And that's why we talked about audience, and market. Anime and Eroge/Galge market are no way similar.
Quote:
Ugh, don't remind me. Or maybe yes, remind me .
All of you bastards better have bought Rewrite, it's like 10x easier to import because it's not ero. Ironically I feel like I got slapped in the face with the Japan only warning. Meh I feel like Rewrite should have done a lot more than Kud Wafter, I'd like to believe it was only economic factors but it's naive IMO.
You wound me. There, happy?
And I don't think it is that hard to import eroge anyway (I do have Little Busters! EX first press release, and that really didn't take any effort, except paypal abuse). As I said though, too much factors were against Rewrite, even some of those who made me buy it, despite barely playing the trials.
Economic factors are also in the equation, but critics etc are generally not that much of issue, unless it is a true kusoge or kamige.
Initial release date is the major key moment for a product sales in Japan, especially with such hobbies, and having less people interested from the bat hurts -a lot-. This is even more true for console and PC games. This is why marketing (ads, trials etc) are the key point of it. Even if Key had a decent marketing direction, it was hindered by 2 majors issues: ["chuuni" content] [Maeda absent in the party].
Quote:
When you say "completely unrelated", I took it like you were not blaming the writing or story at all. It sounds weird to me to hear someone complain about some of the writing and drop the game during the finale route and then claim the writing and story were "Completely unrelated" to the sales. But, I see now you're just talking about the factors though with that comment and thought that the writing may have possibly affected sales?...
I implied that there are factors external to the game (hence writing etc) that certainly contributed a lot for a very discomfort situation before the game was about to be released.
Quote:
Edit: If you care about the semantics of demographic and because you guys make me want to be petty:
You are the one bringing up the said words yourself.
I didn't use demographics first, I used "audience and context". To which you responded with "demographic", so I felt to oblidge and use the same word.
But even on the demographic level, I really can't put OreImo in +18, and mentions of eroge and some adult themes hardly switch it into "seinen".
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.