AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-08-28, 03:05   Link #441
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
First, the game actually had character design I could stand - and fell in love with. I have no opinion of non-existent things so you lost me there. But the VN had awesome character designs as did Melty Blood.

Second, Canaan wasn't that bad.
It was not in any sense good either... in my book that's a fail for Nasu

I guess it's no surprise that the next plot advancing project went to Nitro+'s UGen. In between, Takeuchi's designs were excellent, far better than Tsukihime, and a step above Melty Blood and Fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Simoun, Rurouni Kenshin Memories OVAs, Read or Die, Shion no Ou, Giant Killing, Mago Season 2, Maria-sama ga Miteru franchise, Zipang.

Look we get you hate DEEN, get over it. Most of the time they're just a hired gun, are given a crappy budget and told to do this and that. Do I personally want DEEN to handle anything I like? Fuck no, but I'm not going to blame DEEN when they're told to animate something (like condensing UBW into a 1 movie was their idea or something lol) and are given crappy budget.
Indeed, DEEN managed to get their hands on some good plots, and made mediocre animation to accompany them.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 04:32   Link #442
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

Why the hell does everyone hate Canaan? I really liked Canaan. Sure it wasn't perfect but I thought it was a great series.
Old 2011-08-28, 08:01   Link #443
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Why the hell does everyone hate Canaan? I really liked Canaan. Sure it wasn't perfect but I thought it was a great series.
Hmm, I for one wouldn't call it great. The animation was great but I hardly found the other aspects to be any more than good. Perhaps the plot was moving too fast or the characters' motives weren't explained thoroughly enough, but soon enough I found myself watching the show unfold without caring for or understanding everyone acted the way they did. Quite similar to what I had experienced while watching Angel Beats! actually (though I surmise you liked that one as well judging by your avatar ). Canaan was a 7/10 for me if I recall correctly. The whole setting wasn't all that interesting compared to F/SN, KnK or Tsukihime to be honest...
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 08:04   Link #444
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Some of those were years and years ago.
& that matters because?
Old 2011-08-29, 03:43   Link #445
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Fuck Maria.... Oh

Oh, well it actually wasn't bad though. I guess it was just kinda forgettable. So forgettable I stopped watching.

But it certainly doesn't deserve to be compared with nonexistent anime adaptations or crappy compressed movies though.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 04:42   Link #446
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But it certainly doesn't deserve to be compared with nonexistent anime adaptations or crappy compressed movies though.
Come to think of it, it's actually the best TYPE-MOON TV anime to date lol.
Old 2011-08-29, 08:05   Link #447
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Indeed, TV anime are too constraining for TYPE-MOON, only a long (occasionally H-) OVA with the budget and time-frames of Rakkyou movies can do justice to their work
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 09:46   Link #448
hoarfrost

Whoa people. Canaan had some directional mistakes that I'd criticize that made it solid but forgettable, but it was nowhere near the low of that Tsukihime inspired J.C. Staff show. It's the most atypical work ever put out by Nasu, and I appreciate any anime that isn't set in Japanese High School / European Fantasy Land #894598333348 and actually shows some awareness of the world.

That said as a work Canaan isn't the highest ranked Type-Moon property but honestly I'd save my judgment of what is at the bottom until Tsukihime gets its remake. Takeuchi isn't the only one who has had vast technical improvement since that was first released. Conceptually it's interesting but from a standpoint of writing it's nothing I'd praise.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 22:42   Link #449
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Well, episode three is out...

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Old 2011-08-29, 23:43   Link #450
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Nyantype
Old 2011-08-30, 00:07   Link #451
Kyuu
=^^=

My first impression upon just watching the Opening alone:

I don't know about all these Type-Moon characters singing and dancing all cutesy-like. But, I'll take it as it is.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 03:32   Link #452
calorie

Just watched the new episode...

Arcueid is definitely the star of this show if you ask me. Her character has fleshed out more in these three short comical episodes than ever before. That playful, 'genki' side of her is very moé and I don't think it's necessary to comment on how cute she looks in Carnival Phantasm. Right now I'm enjoying the Tsukihime parts and interludes with Neko Arcueids more than F/SN ones, even though I consider myself to be a greater fan of the latter.
Old 2011-08-30, 04:26   Link #453
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ilya... eww.

Rin and Saber were so funny. I love the way Saber looks in this anime.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 06:50   Link #454
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 3 was weaker than the other two, but still entertaining. The Tsukihime side is also the one I'm enjoying the most, but that might be because I'm biased towards it since it was the first Type-moon VN I played (hell, it was the first VN I ever played, period). Needs more Akiha & maids, though.
Old 2011-08-30, 08:09   Link #455
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Needs more Akiha & maids, though.
I second to this! Bring Akiha!

my anime list kuroneko my manga list
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 08:43   Link #456
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Lol at the DEEN/Canaan hate here .

Personally, I would say DEEN's Fate/Stay Night adaptation was slightly better than P.A's Canaan sequel to 428 or whatever the original is called. Fate/Stay Night was entertaining, but that's because I've never played the VN. Pretty sure the hardcore VN fans will disagree and say that their sacred source material got DEEN-ified or something . Regardless, it doesn't mean I'm fond or approve of DEEN though - they rather do a shitty job most of the time.

As for Canaan, Maria and that chinese loli (forgot her name) kinda ruined the atmosphere of the show. Because of those two, the series had a blurring of "grim dark" and "moe" and to be frank didn't mix that well. Oh well, at least it had great animation and action scenes. Wasn't terrible by any means, but wasn't great either .

Don't see how it's relevant to Carnival Phantasm other than the fact they are all Type-Moon . As for Carnival Phantasm itself...

Fanservice Parody to Type-Moon? Hurrah ?
Old 2011-08-30, 09:33   Link #457
Calca
Expressionless

I laughed pretty loud when Lancer's silhoutte was fleshed out in a cliched dramatic fashion against a sunset before getting hit by a car.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 10:23   Link #458
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Lol, Arcueid can't stand one day of school. And for a minute there during that segment i thought i saw Touko only to later realize it's Aoko.

Also watching Taiga, Ilya and Shirou sleeping together made me feel warm and fuzzy.

PS: Taiga and Ilya rap!
Old 2011-08-30, 10:36   Link #459
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, episode three is out...

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Yeah, I'm getting rather tired of the Alleyway Alliance. It's the same thing over and over. Middle: Starts some conversation, gets interrupted by right. Right: Some reason to want to go home. Left: That was within my calculations. Same thing every time.

I don't mind Phantasmoon since it's so quick, but Alleyway can just rot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Ilya... eww.

Rin and Saber were so funny. I love the way Saber looks in this anime.
Don't be hating on Ilya.

Also, yeah didn't like this episode that much. Pretty sure I read the Tsukihime half in Take Moon, but regardless it still felt weak (whole episode). The first two did it better by sticking to a single plot and making the best of it. We don't need this split for half-assed punchlines.

Also, Tiger Dojo felt really short this time compared to the other two. That's a crime.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 11:12   Link #460
HandofFate

I like the alleyway parts. the catchphrase and finger snap afterwards is mesmerizing.

favorite part of the f/sn portion of episode3.

Shiki is really boring outside of his actual story...even in all the fun-discs and stuff where humor is the focus, he's just in the background.

Tags
comedy, fate/extra, fate/stay night, melty_blood, tsukihime, type-moon