AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-31, 21:43   Link #13801
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...hapter1#Part_3

Pfft, more updates for Stiyl SS, seriously, Theodosia must be M.
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is online now  
Old 2011-09-01, 18:37   Link #13802
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiyl Magnus
“…I have yet to meet someone who constantly goes on about how much misfortune they have that was also a decent person.”
So it's clear that he does not think Touma as a decent guy... At all
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 18:52   Link #13803
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Since it's from a spin-off, does it count as canon?
ellifeedn is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 19:02   Link #13804
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Since it's from a spin-off, does it count as canon?
It isn't a spin-off, its from a side story. Side story != Spin-off.

That said, it also means I never acknowledged Railgun as a spin-off either, so figures that this series never had a spin-off, at least officially, yet.

It also explains how Bardway gets involved into the main novels' storyline. We got quite a fair bit of (not so, perhaps) obvious foreshadowing in Volume 18 I think.
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 19:09   Link #13805
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
What're your definitions of "spin-off" and "side story" then?
ellifeedn is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 19:54   Link #13806
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
What're your definitions of "spin-off" and "side story" then?
Side Story is a story that runs parallel to the Main Story.

Spin-Off is a story that goes completely unrelated to the Main Story aside from small elements and can stand on it's own.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-09-01, 20:02   Link #13807
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
...
...
...

Right.

Anyway, on the subject of Dark Matter: What exactly are those masks supposed to do? I haven't seen anything notable about them other than being made of Dark Matter.
Honestly nothing much besides generating pseudo Dark Matter wings.....a guy with an AK-47 could take them down so they are pretty crappy for Academy's top special forces.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 20:07   Link #13808
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Honestly nothing much besides generating pseudo Dark Matter wings.....a guy with an AK-47 could take them down so they are pretty crappy for Academy's top special forces.
Getting the fanciest toys does not a top special force makes.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-09-01, 20:17   Link #13809
Okashira
Honos628
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Honestly nothing much besides generating pseudo Dark Matter wings.....a guy with an AK-47 could take them down so they are pretty crappy for Academy's top special forces.
I think that it was the Accelerator the one that pointed out that Academy City had "a powersuit for an occasion" (if I am true, it was when he was in a train with Last Order). Dark Matter suits are meant to chase the target, dash in with a team formation attack and then leave, for that purpose they are pretty good, Dark Matter in itself can easily repel heavy attacks with the wings used as shield, can get rid of obstacles and can pretty much slice through any type of "regular" defense; the suits themselves are only meant to enhance the mobility of the user to the limits and nothing more.

The reason of why they where easily taken out it was because Hamazura tempted them into playing the bully, and they dropped their team formations and tactics in order to get into that role, it's the obvious case of "main character plot device induced luck".

I have to admit that personally, I would like to see more models of these suits (for example, an upgrade equipped with more parts capable of creating dark matter, instead of just having invincible mustaches).
__________________
Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12
Okashira is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 20:21   Link #13810
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
So those Equ.Dark Matter suits are just like Hard Taping? It's designed for mobility and should only augment a person's innate attack strength.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Autumn 2014: Log Horizon S2, Amagi Brilliant Park and Fate/Stay Night (2014).
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 20:22   Link #13811
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
I think that it was the Accelerator the one that pointed out that Academy City had "a powersuit for an occasion" (if I am true, it was when he was in a train with Last Order). Dark Matter suits are meant to chase the target, dash in with a team formation attack and then leave, for that purpose they are pretty good, Dark Matter in itself can easily repel heavy attacks with the wings used as shield, can get rid of obstacles and can pretty much slice through any type of "regular" defense; the suits themselves are only meant to enhance the mobility of the user to the limits and nothing more.

The reason of why they where easily taken out it was because Hamazura tempted them into playing the bully, and they dropped their team formations and tactics in order to get into that role, it's the obvious case of "main character plot device induced luck".

I have to admit that personally, I would like to see more models of these suits (for example, an upgrade equipped with more parts capable of creating dark matter, instead of just having invincible mustaches).


Well there's that, and lets face it- Academy City's forces substitution skill, experience and manpower with overwhelming technology superiority.

And they have to, given their small population, otherwise Russia would have crush them and the rest of Japan in a matter of days.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-09-01, 21:55   Link #13812
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well there's that, and lets face it- Academy City's forces substitution skill, experience and manpower with overwhelming technology superiority.

And they have to, given their small population, otherwise Russia would have crush them and the rest of Japan in a matter of days.
That's not quite true, Anti Skill are former mercenaries and soldiers, and they seem skilled enough.

Anyway, I do look forward to seeing what else can be done with Dark Matter type equipment. I always thought Dark Matter was a cool power, too bad the user was an asshole.
__________________




Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is online now  
Old 2011-09-01, 22:35   Link #13813
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United States
Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I always thought Dark Matter was a cool power, too bad the user was an asshole.
The same could be said for Accelerator and Mugino.
__________________
Kuroi Hadou is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 22:40   Link #13814
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
It isn't a spin-off, its from a side story. Side story != Spin-off.

That said, it also means I never acknowledged Railgun as a spin-off either, so figures that this series never had a spin-off, at least officially, yet.

It also explains how Bardway gets involved into the main novels' storyline. We got quite a fair bit of (not so, perhaps) obvious foreshadowing in Volume 18 I think.
Then why is baka tsuki listing them as spin-offs?
ellifeedn is offline  
Old 2011-09-01, 22:46   Link #13815
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Then why is baka tsuki listing them as spin-offs?
Because they're only human?

A spin off is like Xenoglossia to Idolmaster, Nanoha to Triangle Hearts, Angel to Buffy, Joey to Friends, and every other CSI.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-09-02, 00:21   Link #13816
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I've not read railgun and the other side/short stories, so I don't know how I would classify them.


The main distinction to me is that spinoff has a main character promoted from a supporting character and can become a full series by itself without switching of main characters, and the entire story can be totally standalone or promoted from a side plot from the main series, and it usually spans at least 1 volume or even across multiple volumes, while a SS volume consists of multiple stories, and can have each story focusing on different characters.

Based on what I've seen of the Railgun anime, I'd classify Railgun as a spinoff with Misaka Mikoto promoted to the main character. Railgun SS will be SS for the Railgun spinoff.

Last edited by larethian; 2011-09-02 at 00:38.
larethian is offline  
Old 2011-09-02, 00:29   Link #13817
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
I can see why people might consider Railgun a spinoff, but to me it's still a side-story because it runs parallel with the main story of Index. It doesn't really go off on the beaten path as every other incident and plotline and character has some connection to the main story one way or the other.
Chaos2Frozen is online now  
Old 2011-09-02, 00:35   Link #13818
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I can see why people might consider Railgun a spinoff, but to me it's still a side-story because it runs parallel with the main story of Index. It doesn't really go off on the beaten path as every other incident and plotline and character has some connection to the main story one way or the other.
As much as some people consider Index as the spin-off! Oh. My. God.
judasmartel is offline  
Old 2011-09-02, 01:19   Link #13819
Sleep_ping
The Restless FTL
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ellinia
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
As much as some people consider Index as the spin-off! Oh. My. God.
I can't remove the cause, but here's the medication. Put your hand on your hand, close your eyes, and sigh. It will help somewhat.

Do I have to edit everything again? Spin-off, side stories, secondary stories, blah blah blah...
Sleep_ping is offline  
Old 2011-09-02, 01:57   Link #13820
Sandinwater
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Side Story is a story that runs parallel to the Main Story.

Spin-Off is a story that goes completely unrelated to the Main Story aside from small elements and can stand on it's own.
Couldn't have said it better myself my friend.
__________________
The world is not enough...
Sandinwater is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.