AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-09, 16:13   Link #16381
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I don't really care whether Nato will defend Turkey or not...well I do it's just that I still don't know enough about that subject.

I just think it's not ethical for Turkey to be so openly hostile like that. It only further complicates the need for Israel and Arab (I know Turkey isn't Arab but still) countries to get along, because Israel only really knows how to respond to open hostility in one way. To Netanyahu it's always been "destroy or be destroyed" as we saw when he frequently criticised Rabin for working together with Arafat. I don't know if that mentality is still that strong in Israel but I think it's still significant.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:18   Link #16382
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't really care whether Nato will defend Turkey or not...well I do it's just that I still don't know enough about that subject.

I just think it's not ethical for Turkey to be so openly hostile like that. It only further complicates the need for Israel and Arab (I know Turkey isn't Arab but still) countries to get along, because Israel only really knows how to respond to open hostility in one way. To Netanyahu it's always been "destroy or be destroyed" as we saw when he frequently criticised Rabin for working together with Arafat. I don't know if that mentality is still that strong in Israel but I think it's still significant.
its AMAZINGLY strong in Israel.
lubriciously so, in fact, and FAR more so then during Rabins time.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:19   Link #16383
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
its AMAZINGLY strong in Israel.
lubriciously so, in fact, and FAR more so then during Rabins time.
What seriously? Assassination level strong?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:22   Link #16384
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
LOL are these people even serious?

On a positive note, I believe it is impossible for an alien species able to travel through space to be malignant because the technology required for such a feat gives you the power to wipe out not just your planet but your solar system. You would have to be very advanced not just technologically but spiritually as well in order to keep your emotions in check.
i seriously doubt it.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:23   Link #16385
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
What seriously? Assassination level strong?
the assassination part had nothing to do with the "destroy or be destroyed" mentality. it was more about religious fundamentalism regarding Rabins willingness to "give away our god promised land" or similar shit.

the "DOBD" mentality on the other hand, is completely prevalent among the Israeli public, including the non-fundamentalist and even non-religious parts of it.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:26   Link #16386
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Unless I'm mistaken the assassin said he thought Rabin was a danger to Jews so I think it must've atleast partly been connected to that mentality.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:30   Link #16387
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Unless I'm mistaken the assassin said he thought Rabin was a danger to Jews so I think it must've atleast partly been connected to that mentality.
he can say what he wants and make whatever excuses he wants, no one accepts it.
he crossed a line that goes WELL beyond of simple fundamentalism, and his excuses matter to no one.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:34   Link #16388
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
There is "danger to Jews" on the religious level, the cultural level, the ethnic level, and the nationality level. There is also the simpler nationality standpoint of an Israeli for Israel, and the national secuity aspect that goes with it. All have various kinds of fanatics and mentalities. Much like any other nation or religion.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 16:38   Link #16389
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
There is "danger to Jews" on the religious level, the cultural level, the ethnic level, and the nationality level. There is also the simpler nationality standpoint of an Israeli for Israel, and the national secuity aspect that goes with it. All have various kinds of fanatics and mentalities.
basically, you need to differentiate between the religious crazy paranoia thats common to only the fundamentalist Messianic lunatics.
and the normal crazy paranoid thats common to the majority of the Israeli public.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 17:45   Link #16390
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's pretty stupid to anthropomorphize something that is not human. You don't even know what's out there--it could be so alien to our perceptions that we can't even understand how they think, much less why they do what they do.
Unless they are from another dimension then where our universe's laws do not affect it, then yes. But as far as this universe is concerned then no. Why is that? It is simple mathematics, it is simple reason. Give a kid a match and see what happens to him.

And... no matter how you spin it this is the simple truth. Like it or not.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 17:50   Link #16391
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Unless they are from another dimension then where our universe's laws do not affect it, then yes. But as far as this universe is concerned then no. Why is that? It is simple mathematics, it is simple reason. Give a kid a match and see what happens to him.

And... no matter how you spin it this is the simple truth. Like it or not.
Simple? Mathematics? Most certainly not. They may be bound by the same physical laws as us, but no matter how technology advanced, it doesn't follow they'd have any kind of moral system that'd take destroying us off the table.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 18:01   Link #16392
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Simple? Mathematics? Most certainly not. They may be bound by the same physical laws as us, but no matter how technology advanced, it doesn't follow they'd have any kind of moral system that'd take destroying us off the table.
The smart thing would be to destroyed us and any other would be competitors.

there is no need for 2 apex predators on the same food chain.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 18:32   Link #16393
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
It's the "destroy or be destroyed mentality" that is the problem with Israel. It just means things will never end. Not only that, but it's only isolating Israel further and further from the International community.

As for Judaism, probably the biggest danger to Judaism outside Israel is actually Assimilation. I myself am the product of Jewish mother and Catholic Father. I have some feeling of Jewish identity, but I doubt my own children ever will.

Jews are simply going to assimilate themselves out of existence, until only the Orthodox and Chasidim are left. Jewish identity outside Israel is only weakening. How many people speak Yiddish anymore?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 19:08   Link #16394
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Tony Blair calls for regime change in Iran and Syria

"Tony Blair calls for regime change in Iran and Syria as he blames Tehran for
prolonging the conflict in Iraq after the 2003 invasion.

In an interview to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the former prime
minister warns that the Middle East would be "very, very badly" destabilised if Iran
acquired nuclear weapons."

See:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...nge-iran-syria
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 19:34   Link #16395
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Simple? Mathematics? Most certainly not. They may be bound by the same physical laws as us, but no matter how technology advanced, it doesn't follow they'd have any kind of moral system that'd take destroying us off the table.
You certainly don't understand what morality is. Morality is subjective. Morality is relative and dependent on the culture. Morality is irrelevant to global or universal relations between people.

What really matters is spirituality, which boils down to your level of awareness. Your understanding of universal laws is what matters, and in order to reach a high level if spirituality one must use reason as tool to reach underssanding of the the environment.

Having said that, mathematics is the use of logic and reason, therefore, base on elementary reasoning one cannot be highly powerful but laking in awareness; you would self destroy long before that happens.

Of course I don't expect you to agree with anything I said as you have always shown. So let it be.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 21:09   Link #16396
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
What Monkeys Can Teach You About Money

A study done by Yale researchers has shown that our close relatives use money in very similar ways to humans. I would certainly have assumed this to be the case, but fascinating nonetheless. Yet another study showing how our evolutionary history directly impacts the way we behave, and live.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 21:19   Link #16397
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I would question the result of higher technology being able to result in better poeple. While it is true that we've managed to remove some of the more brutal elements from personal society, the most advanced peoples on the planet have caused some of the costliest wars in history. Who was the most technologically advanced peoples on Earth in say 1940? Who where the most advanced in 1960?

Just because a species has not managed to destroy itself when it can does not relate to spiritual awareness. It relates to self preservation. The United States and Soviet Union were not the peak of spirituality, yet they did not blow up the planets...and they very well could have with the numbers of nuclear weapons they had in the 1960s. The United States, Russia, and China probably can still kill all life on this planet, and yet have not done so. I would not characterize any politician of any of those counties as being spiriually aware of anything.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 21:39   Link #16398
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
For those of you saying morality is a subjective thing, I think you'll find that the vast majority of humanity agrees on 90% on matters of morality. It's only the specifics where people disagree.

Everyone agrees that it's wrong to kill your grandmother, except Hindus believe your grandmother could be a cow, and other might believe it's no longer wrong to "kill" her if she happens to be brain dead.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 23:32   Link #16399
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Egyptian protesters pull down Israel embassy wall
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7885PH20110909
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 03:32   Link #16400
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
It's the "destroy or be destroyed mentality" that is the problem with Israel. It just means things will never end. Not only that, but it's only isolating Israel further and further from the International community.
I also believe Israel have been extremely excessive in that mentality and that it needs to be curbed, but really Turkey acting hostile is only going to further strengthen that mentality. That's my problem with Turkey's reaction.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.