AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-08, 00:44   Link #41
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman View Post
How cow you guys timed Ookiku on an Amiga???
It was simple. As I said, after we time the dialog we transfer it to the PC. After that, Aegisub. You'd have to witness the wonders of Central Anime.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 10:50   Link #42
sangofe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
It was simple. As I said, after we time the dialog we transfer it to the PC. After that, Aegisub. You'd have to witness the wonders of Central Anime.
So that's why you didn't do scene timing? I'm not sure I agree it's a "wonder", but more of a WTF do you do it like that when there are better and easier ways of doing it...
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 11:39   Link #43
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
So that's why you didn't do scene timing? I'm not sure I agree it's a "wonder", but more of a WTF do you do it like that when there are better and easier ways of doing it...
I do the scene timing in Aegisub and use other programs to get the video text timing. I don't always get it perfect(and in the old days I was using SSA after the Amiga), and I've noticed other groups screw it up, too.(Every group, actually) The biggest error I've scene on other groups is the reliance on wave timing sometimes makes lines timing too short. I've seen a line(a long one) come up and go off in half a second in some cases.

But basically, I edit everything(line timing/text placement/multiple line dialog, etc) in Aegisub after my on the fly timing. The I(and my edit crew) go through the script via watching passes to make sure the dialog lines and text come on and go off appropriately.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 16:06   Link #44
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
I forgot that Live-Evil is still alive and quite kicking. They're probably the oldest group still releasing stuff on a continuous basis.
__________________
Do you like lesbian tendencies?
http://www.doremi-fansubs.com
ladholyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-10, 17:47   Link #45
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladholyman View Post
I forgot that Live-Evil is still alive and quite kicking. They're probably the oldest group still releasing stuff on a continuous basis.
I beg to differ.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 06:31   Link #46
sangofe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I do the scene timing in Aegisub and use other programs to get the video text timing. I don't always get it perfect(and in the old days I was using SSA after the Amiga), and I've noticed other groups screw it up, too.(Every group, actually) The biggest error I've scene on other groups is the reliance on wave timing sometimes makes lines timing too short. I've seen a line(a long one) come up and go off in half a second in some cases.

But basically, I edit everything(line timing/text placement/multiple line dialog, etc) in Aegisub after my on the fly timing. The I(and my edit crew) go through the script via watching passes to make sure the dialog lines and text come on and go off appropriately.
Yeah, there are quite a few groups who have horrible timing, and to be honest, I haven't seen any of your releases since I checked out one of your Oofuri season 1 releases to compare with Saizen's. Anyways, it's wrong to call anything an "error" in timing as long as it's timed using a specific style, and as long as the text is timed where I should be timed. I don't really agree that it's an error to cut a line a bit short if it's to scene time and it's on screen long enough to read. And if a long line is on screen for a half second, I'd def extend it to the end of the next scene, or give it a good extra second or two on screen.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 08:19   Link #47
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Yeah, there are quite a few groups who have horrible timing, and to be honest, I haven't seen any of your releases since I checked out one of your Oofuri season 1 releases to compare with Saizen's. Anyways, it's wrong to call anything an "error" in timing as long as it's timed using a specific style, and as long as the text is timed where I should be timed. I don't really agree that it's an error to cut a line a bit short if it's to scene time and it's on screen long enough to read. And if a long line is on screen for a half second, I'd def extend it to the end of the next scene, or give it a good extra second or two on screen.
True, not necessarily an error. I use the extending line method all the time when it comes to long lines. Makes it easier on the eyes. I believe Oofuri was the first series where I used Aegisub. Hadn't gotten used to it yet.

Too bad Saizen is gone, though.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 12:30   Link #48
ConsiderPhlebas
CP
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Too bad Saizen is gone, though.
I think we have some kind if misunderstanding here?
Latest release today
__________________
ConsiderPhlebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 13:24   Link #49
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsiderPhlebas View Post
I think we have some kind if misunderstanding here?
Latest release today
Ah, that's right...I'm thinking of another group.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 04:56   Link #50
sangofe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
True, not necessarily an error. I use the extending line method all the time when it comes to long lines. Makes it easier on the eyes. I believe Oofuri was the first series where I used Aegisub. Hadn't gotten used to it yet.

Too bad Saizen is gone, though.
Saizen is not gone...
www.saizen-fansubs.com
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 10:01   Link #51
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Saizen is not gone...
www.saizen-fansubs.com
Like I mentioned in the post above yours, I was mistaking them for another group that starts with S. I believe Shinsen is no more.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 12:29   Link #52
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Is Static Subs still active?

I mean we haven't heard their news once in a while after their site taken down last July.

http://static-subs.com/

Who brought us Mai HiME & Otome, Infinite Stratos & GOsick.

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-09-13 at 10:38.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 01:24   Link #53
sangofe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Like I mentioned in the post above yours, I was mistaking them for another group that starts with S. I believe Shinsen is no more.
Well, we're (Saizen)'s jointing with them on Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002, so they are kinda around, although with a very limited staff.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 02:23   Link #54
Microtic
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Anime-Otakus could be another one.

If people want to help complete episode 165-178. Licensing fell off the grid at episode 50.

Glad to see you're still up and running sangofe!

Oh no, did I just bump an inactive thread? :S

Last edited by Microtic; 2011-10-07 at 02:24. Reason: Whoops?
Microtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 17:46   Link #55
sangofe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microtic View Post
Anime-Otakus could be another one.

If people want to help complete episode 165-178. Licensing fell off the grid at episode 50.

Glad to see you're still up and running sangofe!

Oh no, did I just bump an inactive thread? :S
Are you serious, Micro? Contact me through gmail, please.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 01:54   Link #56
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
Is Static Subs still active?

I mean we haven't heard their news once in a while after their site taken down last July.

http://static-subs.com/

Who brought us Mai HiME & Otome, Infinite Stratos & GOsick.
They're back with another group that's also come out of retirement: Eclipse, which has been around since 2005.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 19:16   Link #57
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Alright, so with active I mean releasing at least one episode per month in average.

The groups I know of that fit this description, and still are active, are:
1. Central Anime (??.??.1992)
2. ANBU (25.10.2001)
3. Live-Evil (24.11.2001)
4. AnimeOne (17.07.2002)
5. Kaizoku-Fansubs (15.11.2002)
6. TV-Nihon (05.04.2003)
7. Static Subs (08.07.2003)
8. SD Project (21.10.2003)
9. Saizen (09.07.2004)
10. Dattebayo (22.10.2004)
bump for current status:

Central-Anime
yep, still doing their thing (you'd think they'd hate anime by now like any sane person would)

ANBU
dead (no releases in their own name since february 2012, last release with another group in november 2012)

Live-Evil
alive, but only subs shit nobody cares about

AonE
basically dead since like 2011, last spasms in november 2012 (together with ANBU)

Kaizoku-Fansubs
alive, I guess? isn't one piece simulcast though?

TV-Nihon
ikiteiru (tl note: ikiteiru means "alive" but everyone wishes they would just fucking die already and take their terrible subs with them to the grave)

Static-Subs
dead since august 2012 (officially "on hiatus" but I consider it extremely unlikely for Kunio to suddenly revive)

SD Project
dead since may 2012, website domain expired

Saizen
alive, but seriously guys, sports anime from 1984? really scraping the bottom of the barrel, there.

Dattebayo
dead since september 2011

A-Destiny
alive?


addendum:
Doremi (august 8th, 2005)
still alive, still run by ladholyman & maceart

gg (october 11th, 2005)
still alive, still retains founding staff members (I only joined in january 2006 though)

Eclipse (october 2005)
dead since august 2012


tl;dr: Simulcasting killed fansubbing and the few groups left are either digging deep in the mines of the 70's and 80's for ancient shit to sub for some kind of misdirected nostalgia reasons, or they're mostly in it for the ad money you get from the few shows that are latecast.

I do wonder what made everyone die off at the same time in fall 2012 though.

looking back at all the debates I had circa 2004 with the people who claimed unethical fansubbing would kill the industry, I'm really not sure who came out more right in the end, but I'm still here for some bizarre reason and they're not, so I guess that means I get to gloat and claim moral superiority
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2013-08-10 at 19:51.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 23:05   Link #58
Duskv20
Bleached Eagle
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post

TV-Nihon
ikiteiru (tl note: ikiteiru means "alive" but everyone wishes they would just fucking die already and take their terrible subs with them to the grave)
I quite like TV-Nihon, as do the many people who seed/leech their releases, thank you very much. Their forums are a lot more active than this one, too, that's for sure.
Duskv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 09:29   Link #59
juggen
Saizen Supreme
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweden
Age: 28
It's all about the unsubbed classics now. ^^ We occasionally do newer stuff in Saizen, though. But yeah, simulcasts make them kind of unnecessary in a way, it's mostly for our own enjoyment tbh if we do.

Anime-Destiny (07.12.2004) are still alive, yes. ^^

I guess the updated list of ancient groups that can't seem to let go are the following:

1. Central Anime (??.??.1992)
2. Live-Evil (24.11.2001)
3. Kaizoku-Fansubs (15.11.2002)
4. TV-Nihon (05.04.2003)
5. Saizen (09.07.2004)
6. Anime-Destiny (07.12.2004)
7. Ryuu-Rogue (08.03.2005)
8. Doremi (08.08.2005)
9. gg (11.10.2005)

And some form of honorable mention to Frostii being a mix of Ureshii (25.04.2006) and Froth-Bite (28.02.2004) staff. Although they more or less only live on because they are jointing with Saizen. ^^

Can't think of any other groups, please fill in if you know any.
__________________

Last edited by juggen; 2014-05-18 at 17:39.
juggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 18:26   Link #60
Nanto
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
2. The Skaro Hunting Society (1998)

Plus in addition to being an old group, most of the shows I subtitle are also very old (1960s & 1970s).
__________________
http://www.skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/
Fan subtitled anime, mostly from the 1960s and early 1970s
Nanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.