AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-17, 19:17   Link #21
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Which is very convenient and manipulative, since in the meantime we have to see him being depicted as the hero he really isn't.

But it's not only the playboy thing. What about the fact he doesn't care about anyone besides his family? For example, when he went to see Kuho at the hospital it was pretty obvious he didn't care about her state, and was there only because he thought her accident was related to the penguindrum somehow. That, for me, is even worst than being a playboy, and I really want the story to call him on that shit in some way. But as things stand now I know I shouldn't expect that because I can tell Ikuhara has a freaking fetish with Kanba. I still hope so, though.
I thought it was pretty nice of him to visit Kuho, bring flowers and so. She's only his ex after all. I means it's not that fishy (more like "penguin~y") about an idol falling down the stair and forgetting the identity of her attacker.

He could just pay a visit to check out her well being. Then if it somehow relates to the penguin, it will be within his priority to search for a clue. If it's not it's still simply a sick visit to holdup the contact. Clearly he didn't just barge in empty hand trying to get as much information as he can
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 19:30   Link #22
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
He could just pay a visit to check out her well being. Then if it somehow relates to the penguin, it will be within his priority to search for a clue. If it's not it's still simply a sick visit to holdup the contact. Clearly he didn't just barge in empty hand trying to get as much information as he can
I just interpreted that scene in a different way. Remember he had received a mail from her previously, saying she knew what he was looking for. So the potential connection with the penguidrum was already established, and for me it was clear he went there for that reason. Plus, he didn't seem too concerned about the attack on his other exes either. He was surprised, yes, but didn't even tried to help them or anything.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-09-17 at 19:55.
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 19:38   Link #23
Spoonroo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
i do think that his playboy thing is a tad exaggerated. we basically got that assessment from shoma
I agree - who knows if Kanba is actually a playboy? I kind of doubt it actually, since he hasn't chased a single girl since the show began.

The only things we know is that he dated at least 3 girls and broke up with them (honestly, without knowledge of what when on, isn't that bad - I know lots of people with worse track records) The girls were mad, but then again, that doesn't necessarily mean Kanba is bad - maybe he broke up in a bad manner, or the girls just never wanted to break up) and that Shoma calls him a playboy, but in Shoma's innocent/pure mindview, maybe he's making bigger deal out of it that it actually is - or is just teasing him.

I mean Shoma freaked out about Kanba entering a girl's bedroom because it was a girl's room. Heck with that reaction, maybe having dated someone and breaking up with them. WOULD seem like an out of control playboy!
Spoonroo is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 19:47   Link #24
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonroo View Post
I agree - who knows if Kanba is actually a playboy? I kind of doubt it actually, since he hasn't chased a single girl since the show began.
Maybe it has to do with the fact that Himari, you know, died when the show began? It makes a lot of sense he stopped chasing skirts since then. All in all, I don't see any reason to believe he's not as much a playboy as he's made to be.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 19:54   Link #25
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Maybe it has to do with the fact that Himari, you know, died when the show began? It makes a lot of sense he stopped chasing skirts since then. All in all, I don't see any reason to believe he's not as much a playboy as he's made to be.
i guess. it just doesn't seem to fit imo. he seems more indifferent to girls and their advances (his attitude toward gifts for one) than actually "chasing" girls.

not to mention himari, she's extremely important to him regardless of whether or not we want to take the siscon thing at face value.
__________________
game of thrones | card captor sakura | misfits | honey & clover | breaking bad | NANA | the inbetweeners | afterschool nightmare | bokura ga ita | dexter |
mellomarie is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:02   Link #26
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
i guess. it just doesn't seem to fit imo. he seems more indifferent to girls and their advances (his attitude toward gifts for one) than actually "chasing" girls.
I disagree. He was just talking about gift he didn't like, which is a totally different matter. If he was so indifferent he wouldn't have three exes (including a teen model) and Natsume as a potential fourth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
not to mention himari, she's extremely important to him regardless of whether or not we want to take the siscon thing at face value.
Well, the siscon thing is pretty much in our face anyway. But think about it. Being a playboy may be how he deals with his feelings for Himari.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:07   Link #27
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, the siscon thing is pretty much in our face anyway. But think about it. Being a playboy may be his way of dealing with his feelings for Himari.
That's what I think too. And doesn't it make him more forgivable?

It would mean that he's not just a simple skirt-chaser, but rather he's a guy trying to find someone who can capture his heart so that these romantic feelings he has for his sister can go away.

I find such a thought... pitiable. Not admirable really (as he's hurt a lot of girls in the process), but still pitiable.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:17   Link #28
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's what I think too. And doesn't it make him more forgivable?
Not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It would mean that he's not just a simple skirt-chaser, but rather he's a guy trying to find someone who can capture his heart so that these romantic feelings he has for his sister can go away.
I don't think he's doing this to find someone he can love; I think he's just trying to avoid facing the issue. He can't have Himari, so to relief his frustration he goes out with whoever he can. That's my take on him for now.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:30   Link #29
Spoonroo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Maybe it has to do with the fact that Himari, you know, died when the show began? It makes a lot of sense he stopped chasing skirts since then. All in all, I don't see any reason to believe he's not as much a playboy as he's made to be.
Disclaimer - playing Devil's Advocate

Yes, but how much time has passed between the beginning of the show and now?

I mean yes, it makes sense that he wouldn't go out searching for girls the day she died, but I don't know. He doesn't even seem to notice other females at all more so than the regular teenage boy does. He also doesn't completely tune them out (ie when Penguin 1 had the camera on in episode 2 and they got the panty shot - that was right after Himari died, and I remember he craned his head to get an even better view, so he isn't not paying attention to girls in favor of Himari, too.

To be honest, I don't see anything in his interest in females that seems more than the average 16 year old boy (I teach and live at a boys boarding school - I see them here and when we combine with girls schools for dances all day long, and on weekends) besides the siscon thing. I sure know 16 year old boys that don't necessary only date one girl and never break up, and may switch to another girl - seems weird to label that behavior for a teenager as a playboy.

Shoma, on the other, seems FAR less interested in girls than the average 16 year old boy, which is why I say that his point of view may be slightly skewed.

He could or could not be a playboy - but I don't see anything to hint that he is definitely a playboy except that Shoma says it, and Shoma tends to freak out over little things, like walking into a girl's bedroom. Kanba's dated three girls (maybe 4) - but at the same time? over 3 years? who knows? I just don't see enough to throw him to the dogs, either.

They said in episode four that they gathered his "romantic victims". 3 romantic victims doesn't really seem like playboy material. Maybe he just broke up with them and they didn't want to break up.

And if one of those girls really did a wedding cake (hint at marriage), maybe he was right to get the hell away from that. a 16 year old boy shouldn't be dealing with that. Shoma sure freaked out when her through Project M was for marriage.
Spoonroo is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:40   Link #30
Razziell22
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
I really like Kanba (yeah, more than Shouma) I think he's pretty badass and quite mysterious...we still don't really know a lot about him. Other than that he knows some shady people, will do anything for his family, & his popularity with girls. I want to see his character develop more & hopefully that will be soon xD
__________________
Razziell22 is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:46   Link #31
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonroo View Post
He could or could not be a playboy - but I don't see anything to hint that he is definitely a playboy except that Shoma says it, and Shoma tends to freak out over little things, like walking into a girl's bedroom. Kanba's dated three girls (maybe 4) - but at the same time? over 3 years? who knows? I just don't see enough to throw him to the dogs, either.
I'm a novel reader, and to answer properly I would need to post spoilers, which I won't do. So I'll just say that if you think Shouma would exaggerate about Kanba being a playboy, you don't know Shouma. He wouldn't say Kanba's a playboy unless he had seen it with his own eyes. That's the kinda guy he is.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:52   Link #32
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'm a novel reader, and to answer properly I would need to post spoilers, which I won't do. So I'll just say that if you think Shouma would exaggerate about Kanba being a playboy, you don't know Shouma. He wouldn't say Kanba's a playboy unless he had seen it with his own eyes. That's the kinda guy he is.
I do agree that Kanba is/was a playboy. However at least part of the time Shouma thinks Kanba is out with girls he is really involved in whatever that shady business is to let them keep their house. Although maybe it is all connected.

Now that is something I really want to know about.

Although I don't think anything in the novel is really spoiler. I think it just adds extra details and clarifies things. It follows the anime exactly.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:54   Link #33
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Something that maybe should be considered here: Perhaps there's cultural differences at play here?

A guy in his mid-to-late teens having dated 3 or 4 girls over a few years is not especially noteworthy in modern America... but maybe it is in modern Japan? I'm not Japanese, so I wouldn't know.

So maybe from Shouma's cultural perspective, a guy that does that is a bit of a playboy. In other words, the very term "playboy" has meanings relative to the culture it's used within.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 20:58   Link #34
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I do agree that Kanba is/was a playboy. However at least part of the time Shouma thinks Kanba is out with girls he is really involved in whatever that shady business is to let them keep their house. Although maybe it is all connected.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that since Himari died and revived, Kanba has stopped wasting his time trying to get laid and has refocused his efforts on investigating about the penguindrum and getting money for this family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So maybe from Shouma's cultural perspective, a guy that does that is a bit of a playboy. In other words, the very term "playboy" has meanings relative to the culture it's used within.
No it has more to do with Kanba's attitude towards the girls he goes out with than the number of girls and such. Unfortunately in the anime we don't get to hear about this because there's no narration.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 21:03   Link #35
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that since Himari died and revived, Kanba has stopped wasting his time trying to get laid and has refocused his efforts on investigating about the penguindrum and getting money for this family.
Well at least I think getting money for the family might have started before Himari died. You know all that high tech stuff he did to track Ringo in episode 2?

I think he knew how to do that stuff because of whatever shady business he is involved with. And I think he has been involved for awhile.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 21:05   Link #36
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that since Himari died and revived, Kanba has stopped wasting his time trying to get laid and has refocused his efforts on investigating about the penguindrum and getting money for this family.
how do we know it's since himari died though? from what i'm gathering, their parents have been out of the picture for awhile now so maybe kanba's been shadily getting money longer than we think?

but your idea on kanba using other girl's to veer away away from his sister is very interesting.
__________________
game of thrones | card captor sakura | misfits | honey & clover | breaking bad | NANA | the inbetweeners | afterschool nightmare | bokura ga ita | dexter |
mellomarie is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 21:08   Link #37
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
how do we know it's since himari died though? from what i'm gathering, their parents have been out of the picture for awhile now so maybe kanba's been shadily getting money longer than we think?
Yes, I do agree he must have been doing whatever he does to get money since before the Himari thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
but your idea on kanba using other girl's to veer away away from his sister is very interesting.
I'm glad you found it interesting.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2011-09-17, 21:14   Link #38
Spoonroo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well at least I think getting money for the family might have started before Himari died. You know all that high tech stuff he did to track Ringo in episode 2?
No that had to have started before Himari died. I remember him with a set of burglar tools using them expertly to get into Ringo's house, and seemed awesome with ideas of surveillance - in episode two. Those had to have been in place before Himari died.

I don't see it as a sudden flick of a switch shift of his personality shifted when Himari died - his personality is probably the same before as later.

That was part the point I was trying to make before - I haven't seen anything in the anime to suggest that his behavior is definitely different now than it was prior to Himari dying. In fact, remembering what he said right after Himari died, when they were in the hospital, his character has been pretty consistent all the way through, from when they thought she was dead and after she revived.
Spoonroo is offline  
Old 2011-09-17, 21:18   Link #39
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonroo View Post
No that had to have started before Himari died.
That's exactly what I said so I don't know why you said No.

Maybe because I said might. I guess that might wasn't needed.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-09-19, 14:59   Link #40
YayPepsi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but Kanba is my favorite character so far. He's the most intriguing of the characters IMO. I started off liking Shoma best, and I still like him, but the fact that he's with Ringo so much has brought him down for me. Not that I don't like Ringo...it's just that I think her plot is kind of boring and I wish they'd focus more on the three siblings.

But Kanba has become my favorite faster than I expected, and I didn't even like him all that much to begin with. The kiss in the first episode got me intrigued but other than that I didn't really think much of him. He grew on me though. He's so mysterious and I want to know more about his past. He obviously loves his family a lot and wants to keep them together, which is admirable. The whole playboy thing on the other hand isn't admirable, but I'll reserve my judgement on that until we know the whole situation. Of course, he may just turn out to be a "playboy with a heart of gold" or something like that. :P

I actually think the thing with Himari is kind of sweet... I realized that I really liked the pairing after episode 10, when they had their discussion in the cafeteria. Before that point Himari and Kanba hadn't really spent much one on one time together and whenever Himari was in a room with Sho and Kan, she'd usually address Sho. It seems like she prefers him. So it was nice to see the two of them have some time together. (I'm not bothered by the fact that they're siblings - a clear sign that I've watched too much anime, I think. XD)
YayPepsi is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.