Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-16, 11:33   Link #221
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I don't know ;( My friend keep complaining about boss combo or something like that. I don't really get it either, but it probably because bosses in this game are not as combo-chainable as the previous games or something?

Do you feel something like that?
Yeah I've never been able to get high chain numbers on any of the bosses (or at all in Xillia), but other than low chain numbers there's nothing hard or wrong with the boss fights.
Old 2011-09-19, 15:17   Link #222
Shadow5YA

That's probably a lesson learned from Vesperia. The infinites you could pull off with some of the characters were ridiculous.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 18:15   Link #223
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That's probably a lesson learned from Vesperia. The infinites you could pull off with some of the characters were ridiculous.
Meh, I thought they fixed it plenty in Graces. There was only a single battle in that whole game where I got a really big chain. (on one of the bosses in the bonus dungeon)
Old 2011-09-19, 20:12   Link #224
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

My only experience is with Vesperia, so I've got to ask- Are magic spells better than normal artes? Special exceptions notwithstanding I find that they take too long to cast and don't deal anymore damage than artes... Plus some of them are prone to missing *cough Holy Lance*
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 22:41   Link #225
GDB

Generally, outside of special exceptions, spells are used for two things that I've seen. Hitting multiple enemies (if grouped together), and hitting elemental weaknesses. Oh, and giving your healer something to do when you're topped off.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 00:15   Link #226
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
My only experience is with Vesperia, so I've got to ask- Are magic spells better than normal artes? Special exceptions notwithstanding I find that they take too long to cast and don't deal anymore damage than artes... Plus some of them are prone to missing *cough Holy Lance*
Depending on the Tales.

In Vesperia, Most powerful enemies couldn't be hit easily with more than one character (two if you were lucky and played in co-op), so using powerful spells were really useful, especially the ones that stunlocked an enemy.

Also, Overlimit Rita is incredibly broken.

In most tales (without the overlimit making any spells more or less instant), Spells are there mostly because they give a lot of damage over 2-3 seconds from a safe distance, and they can hit elemental weakness too. Basically, they are really useful when a boss can 2-shot any of your char.

Oh, and of course, spells are really useful when there are mobs of enemies too.

In Xillia, most spells seems to be cast quicker than usual. Haven't gotten very far, but all i have seen so far have much shorter incantations than in the earlier tales.

Though TBH, Rita with the right skills took out ten fireballs as quickly as yuri gave a hit.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 09:33   Link #227
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Damn it. When will my copy arrive T_T I hate economic air mail >.<. Well, ranting aside, it seems there's mixed review about the story of this game. Some said it's clearly lacking while some said that it's very satisfying. I'll hold my judgment until I play it though since even with all the bad reputation it get, I actually quite enjoy playing Final Fantasy 13 for its story(linearity aside, because I agree the 3/4 first part of the game is very linear. No, scratch that, the whole game beside that large field is very linear if you ignore the side quest)
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 14:58   Link #228
GDB

My copy just arrived today from Play-Asia's cheap-ass shipping option. Looking forward to it.
Old 2011-09-22, 19:54   Link #229
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Hmmm, question: I know that Grade Points carry over to your nex playthrough (so if you build up 3500 grade in your first playthrough. you'll have that much on your second for when you beat the second playthrough), but do Grade Shop purchases carry on over between playthroughs? Like if I get 2x exp for my second playthrough, do I not have to buy it again for a thrid playthrough? (my initial assumption would be no since that would be a bit broken, but some material over the 'net I've read seems to hint at this)
Old 2011-09-25, 01:14   Link #230
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Hmmm, question: I know that Grade Points carry over to your nex playthrough (so if you build up 3500 grade in your first playthrough. you'll have that much on your second for when you beat the second playthrough), but do Grade Shop purchases carry on over between playthroughs? Like if I get 2x exp for my second playthrough, do I not have to buy it again for a thrid playthrough? (my initial assumption would be no since that would be a bit broken, but some material over the 'net I've read seems to hint at this)
Nope. Since grade points carry over, you'll end up having two times the amount by the end of the second playthrough anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem when you buy them again.

As for the game,

Spoiler for Ending:

Per usual, the story for this game leaves a lot to be desired. Great game though, enjoyable combat system (minus the bosses on Hard mode).

Time to play Milla's side with her swimsuit on, .

Last edited by Excorsism; 2011-09-25 at 01:39.
Excorsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 08:00   Link #231
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

*Curse everyone who already get their copy* :P

So a question, how many extra dollar(or yen) you end up paying Bamco for the additional costumes so far?
Old 2011-09-25, 08:43   Link #232
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism View Post
As for the game,

Spoiler for Ending:
That second part is basically my real beef with the ending too; it wouldn't have been as bad if they had at least
Spoiler:
Old 2011-09-25, 12:02   Link #233
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
*Curse everyone who already get their copy* :P

So a question, how many extra dollar(or yen) you end up paying Bamco for the additional costumes so far?
None. The game hasn't grabbed me enough to really make me want to pay that much for more costumes. Especially not when their normal costumes are so good.
Old 2011-09-26, 10:44   Link #234
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Meh, I thought they fixed it plenty in Graces. There was only a single battle in that whole game where I got a really big chain. (on one of the bosses in the bonus dungeon)
I left Graces out because it was a different battle system and led by the team that made Destiny Director's Cut.

This is the first Tales game using the TP system that has fixed the infinite/indefinite combos.
Old 2011-09-26, 15:32   Link #235
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I left Graces out because it was a different battle system and led by the team that made Destiny Director's Cut.

This is the first Tales game using the TP system that has fixed the infinite/indefinite combos.
Unless you count Milla 1v1 with her Negative Orb spell or whatever it's called.
Old 2011-10-01, 11:38   Link #236
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

how many hi ougi are there

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 04:50   Link #237
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Not much. I heard every char only has 1 and jude and milla has a duo hi-ougi.
Old 2011-10-03, 08:55   Link #238
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

My favourite playable characters' Hi-Ougi is Leia's- it's the only one I felt had a real Oomph! to it

Speaking of which, is it just me or does Xillia's characters' Hi-Ougi seem somewhat shorter as compared to previous Tales' characters...?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 02:04   Link #239
Excorsism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
My favourite playable characters' Hi-Ougi is Leia's- it's the only one I felt had a real Oomph! to it

Speaking of which, is it just me or does Xillia's characters' Hi-Ougi seem somewhat shorter as compared to previous Tales' characters...?
Yeah... they're all fairly quick compared to other games. Half of them were rather lacking that punch as well. On the same note, it feels like the content of this game was half-assed compared to others as well (story included, but that's just me). It's like they spent 95% of their budget on the cut scenes alone or something. Quite disappointing for a 15th anniversary title. Also, they need to fire the storyboard writers for the Tales' games. Unoriginal hacks, :frustrated

Totally expecting that director's cut too, .
Old 2011-10-05, 12:09   Link #240
Shadow5YA

Has anyone finished Millia's story yet? Everyone seems to have only done Jude so far.