AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-19, 21:50   Link #16621
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Oh this will be fun. Let's see what those on the fence do, cause the theory is the US will veto if it goes to the Security Council....unless of course we are seriously outnumbered and it is politically wise to go with it.
I think than the US will try to block or slow down thi resolution, but probably not use their veto.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 22:11   Link #16622
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
from my understanding, the US would rather the Palestians went back to negotiating with Israel rather that attempting to force statehood via the UN...as they will still have problems with Israel over everything even with UN mandated statehood.

The US has spend a lot of time, effort, and Presidents, on peace between Israel and Palestine, including a two state solution. They likely want to take credit for the final peace rather than have themselves be sidestepped in a way that won't accomplish anything, but end the chance of them having any say in the matter anymore (end of the Camp David path to peace).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 22:22   Link #16623
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You obviously don't live in the US where "streaming" sucks for half the population and they have draconian usage caps

We only have time to watch a movie or two a week. DVD/Blu-ray mailers work perfectly for us. Instant gratification not necessary. We do stream on occasion but where we live there *is*no*land*internet better than 26.4kbps and we're only a mile or so from a major Intel Corp. facility. We're in a "telco/cable shadow" -- much of the US lives in this sort of mess. Until that is rectified, there is a huge market for DVD mailers.

I use a wireless ISP... its fine for gaming and file - ddl (anime mostly) but it is only 3mb/sec though we're working with them to improve that.
I'm no better off then you, I top out at about 2-3 mb a second, on a broadband line. I can still stream 480p off youtube with few issues. Now I have a friend who can get 2 megaBYTES per second, and I am truly envious. He can get a whole movie down in 5-10 minutes.

However, Wireless sucks. I live in a really marginal area, and had to use it. I feel your pain. How about that atmospheric interference?

Quote:
We stream on occasion... but even with buffers set to max, it stutters occasionally (please stand by).
The real problem is those newer streaming services that don't have buffers at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Because some people like to burn a copy of the movie for later storage.
I was doing that for a while. I came back 5 years later to find out everyone one of my DVDs had gotten corrupted.

My advice: Stick to a RAID array. It's cheaper and less time consuming too.

@SeijiSensei: It's clear that their's going to be a new battlefield in the media landscape, and it's going to be over the streaming market. I'd say the content producers are seeing where the wind is blowing, and don't see the need for dealing with NetFlix when it's so easy to just set up your own streaming service.

Netflix as it is now is probably doomed, they're probably going to have to shift to dealing with more niche producers who do not have the resources to establish their own streaming service. But in the long term they're going to lose access to the properties produced by the likes of Warner Brothers or NBC.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 23:45   Link #16624
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
However, Wireless sucks. I live in a really marginal area, and had to use it. I feel your pain. How about that atmospheric interference?
Actually, we're fairly free of that (line-of-sight to the tower is clear) and we opted for 5GHz instead of the older 2.4GHz so rain and snow don't seem to be an issue. My only real complaints are that streaming is variable (some nights great, other nights enough retransmit to stutter) and forget trying for HD. For that reason, DVD/Blu-ray is nice.
Quote:
The real problem is those newer streaming services that don't have buffers at all...
Yeah, those people don't get my time or money after about 10 seconds when it becomes obvious there's no buffer.

Quote:
I was doing that for a while. I came back 5 years later to find out everyone one of my DVDs had gotten corrupted.
My advice: Stick to a RAID array. It's cheaper and less time consuming too.
Yeah, DVDs should be redone every 3 years or so and kept in a cool, dark place. The hard drive solution is much cheaper.

Quote:
@SeijiSensei: It's clear that their's going to be a new battlefield in the media landscape, and it's going to be over the streaming market. I'd say the content producers are seeing where the wind is blowing, and don't see the need for dealing with NetFlix when it's so easy to just set up your own streaming service.
The problem is they're wanting you to subscribe to their cable/telco, bundling content with delivery. This, of course, automatically cuts out vast parts of the market who aren't served by their networks.

Quote:
Netflix as it is now is probably doomed,
I don't think anyone sees it as more than a transitory service... but so far the content producers and the delivery folks aren't stepping up to 'nation-wide delivery' while they try to stifle a company that does.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 05:28   Link #16625
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The problem is they're wanting you to subscribe to their cable/telco, bundling content with delivery. This, of course, automatically cuts out vast parts of the market who aren't served by their networks.

I don't think anyone sees it as more than a transitory service... but so far the content producers and the delivery folks aren't stepping up to 'nation-wide delivery' while they try to stifle a company that does.
I'd say in the long term they'll probably see sense and distribute their stuff more freely. After all, cutting out most of your prospective market by only selling to your cable/broadband subscribers is a bit senseless.

I could see each major broadcaster or media giant operating it's own subscription based media service. There might be a BBC subscription, and NBC subscription etc.

And maybe some bright soul will come with some kind of idea that, say, allows you to subscribe to every documentary show across all networks, or every drama etc.

Media is in a state of flux, so it's difficult to say how things are going to proceed. Either way, we can probably expect to be spending more on media content in the future. On the flip side, we'll probably have a lot less ads.

I just hope they stop it with all the region blocking...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 05:43   Link #16626
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The US has spend a lot of time, effort, and Presidents, on peace between Israel and Palestine, including a two state solution. They likely want to take credit for the final peace rather than have themselves be sidestepped in a way that won't accomplish anything, but end the chance of them having any say in the matter anymore (end of the Camp David path to peace).
They might have more ''wasted'' than ''spend'' no ?
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 06:11   Link #16627
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
They might have more ''wasted'' than ''spend'' no ?
I agree. There are plenty of whackjobs in the Middle East who misinterpreted the Koran and was brainwashed into thinking that "Jews are evil and instruments of the Satan", so this peace process is pretty much naught.

They probably won't stop until they genocide anyone who is a Jew or Zionist. Even the Samaritans.

EDIT :

Gamers Decode AIDS Protein That Stumped Researchers For 15 Years In Just 3 Weeks

Looks like those raid nights without sleep paid off in solving the question in the minimum amount of time required.

@ TRL : I think you need to ask your colleagues post another "What it should have been" in the Straits Times tomorrow :

Quote:
UPDATE: While the open time frame for creating the structure online was 3 weeks, according to MSNBC the correct answer was found in just 10 days.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-09-20 at 07:42.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 07:45   Link #16628
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I agree. There are plenty of whackjobs in the Middle East who misinterpreted the Koran and was brainwashed into thinking that "Jews are evil and instruments of the Satan", so this peace process is pretty much naught.

They probably won't stop until they genocide anyone who is a Jew or Zionist. Even the Samaritans.
Except in this case it was the Israelis who repeatedly sabotaged the peace processes by going on with the colonisation and occupying lands beyond those delimited by resolution 242.

Well it does go to the credit of Israel's PR efforts that people would still believe "Islamist wackjobs" are the cause of it. It's true though that the PLO's moderates are getting more and more marginalised by the Islamists, but what do you expect when the Israelis constantly undermine whatever the PLO manages to negotiate? Hamas gained ground solely thanks to their loss of credibility. Ironically Israel originally supported Hamas as a counterbalance to Arafat's PLO; we can now see how successful that was.

That's the main reason Mahmoud Abbas is going to the UN even if he knows he'll fail. Because if he doesn't do a PR coup, the PLO will keep loosing face to the Hamas in the eyes of the Palestinian people.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 07:50   Link #16629
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Except in this case it was the Israelis who repeatedly sabotaged the peace processes by going on with the colonisation and occupying lands beyond those delimited by resolution 242.

Well it does go to the credit of Israel's PR efforts that people would still believe "Islamist wackjobs" are the cause of it. It's true though that the PLO's moderates are getting more and more marginalised by the Islamists, but what do you expect when the Israelis constantly undermine whatever the PLO manages to negotiate? Hamas gained ground solely thanks to their loss of credibility. Ironically Israel originally supported Hamas as a counterbalance to Arafat's PLO; we can now see how successful that was.

That's the main reason Mahmoud Abbas is going to the UN even if he knows he'll fail. Because if he doesn't do a PR coup, the PLO will keep loosing face to the Hamas in the eyes of the Palestinian people.
It is only the israelis orthe palestinian than are responsible but both of them, wackjobs are on both sides.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 07:53   Link #16630
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Except in this case it was the Israelis who repeatedly sabotaged the peace processes by going on with the colonisation and occupying lands beyond those delimited by resolution 242.

Well it does go to the credit of Israel's PR efforts that people would still believe "Islamist wackjobs" are the cause of it. It's true though that the PLO's moderates are getting more and more marginalised by the Islamists, but what do you expect when the Israelis constantly undermine whatever the PLO manages to negotiate? Hamas gained ground solely thanks to their loss of credibility. Ironically Israel originally supported Hamas as a counterbalance to Arafat's PLO; we can now see how successful that was.

That's the main reason Mahmoud Abbas is going to the UN even if he knows he'll fail. Because if he doesn't do a PR coup, the PLO will keep loosing face to the Hamas in the eyes of the Palestinian people.
It isn't really the Israelis themselves or in general. It is their version of Big Corp......property developers kept on looking for land to build on so they can sell more and earn more money.

Because both the Israelis, Palestine, UN and Mideasterners each has their own version of territorial lines, the property developers just "build first, talk later". When the tenants "come under attack", the IDF kneejerks and goes in with guns blazing, creating another conflict.

I don't believe that either the Jews or the Muslims are bad - it is just that both sides have lard-eating dogs and bitches as well as mindless nuts to be brainwashed by the former.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:02   Link #16631
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I agree. There are plenty of whackjobs in the Middle East who misinterpreted the Koran and was brainwashed into thinking that "Jews are evil and instruments of the Satan", so this peace process is pretty much naught.

They probably won't stop until they genocide anyone who is a Jew or Zionist. Even the Samaritans.

EDIT :

Gamers Decode AIDS Protein That Stumped Researchers For 15 Years In Just 3 Weeks

Looks like those raid nights without sleep paid off in solving the question in the minimum amount of time required.
Quick! Someone turn our economic woes into a game! (Probably Civ-like. Or maybe Sim-like.)

Also, turn off the PS3 network, and maybe the Xbox one as well. Worked for getting Bin Laden.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:06   Link #16632
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Quick! Someone turn our economic woes into a game! (Probably Civ-like. Or maybe Sim-like.)

Also, turn off the PS3 network, and maybe the Xbox one as well. Worked for getting Bin Laden.
It is due to the economy being treated like a CASUAL GAME is why we are in doldrums.

If they treated it like a hardcore game like the way "no-lifers" do, we wouldn't be having this in the first place.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:08   Link #16633
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Except in this case it was the Israelis who repeatedly sabotaged the peace processes by going on with the colonisation and occupying lands beyond those delimited by resolution 242.

Well it does go to the credit of Israel's PR efforts that people would still believe "Islamist wackjobs" are the cause of it. It's true though that the PLO's moderates are getting more and more marginalised by the Islamists, but what do you expect when the Israelis constantly undermine whatever the PLO manages to negotiate? Hamas gained ground solely thanks to their loss of credibility. Ironically Israel originally supported Hamas as a counterbalance to Arafat's PLO; we can now see how successful that was.

That's the main reason Mahmoud Abbas is going to the UN even if he knows he'll fail. Because if he doesn't do a PR coup, the PLO will keep loosing face to the Hamas in the eyes of the Palestinian people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
It is only the israelis orthe palestinian than are responsible but both of them, wackjobs are on both sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It isn't really the Israelis themselves or in general. It is their version of Big Corp......property developers kept on looking for land to build on so they can sell more and earn more money.

Because both the Israelis, Palestine, UN and Mideasterners each has their own version of territorial lines, the property developers just "build first, talk later". When the tenants "come under attack", the IDF kneejerks and goes in with guns blazing, creating another conflict.

I don't believe that either the Jews or the Muslims are bad - it is just that both sides have lard-eating dogs and bitches as well as mindless nuts to be brainwashed by the former.
I just think there won't be any peace until both sides quit their "Destroy or be destroyed" mentality.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:21   Link #16634
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I just think there won't be any peace until both sides quit their "Destroy or be destroyed" mentality.
One side are the Israelis. The other isn't just Palestine, it is the entire Muslim world at large. Even my neighbouring country (Malaysia) often shove all sorts of blame to Israel in their press releases.

So what happened to the Quran, 42:39 to 42:46? And specifically in 42:43 and 42:46 -

Quote:
And he whom Allah sends astray - for him there is no protector beyond Him. And you will see the wrongdoers, when they see the punishment, saying, "Is there for return [to the former world] any way?"
Quote:
And there will not be for them any allies to aid them other than Allah . And whoever Allah sends astray - for him there is no way.
Screw their judgement calls for punishment on Israel/Zionists/Jews - who gave them the right to judge the Jews in the place of their own god? And finally in 42:53 -

Quote:
The path of Allah , to whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Unquestionably, to Allah do matters evolve.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:39   Link #16635
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Sure the palestinians have the muslim world behind them but then again, Israel has the US behind them (Thankfully due to the US being a developed country, propaganda like that against palestinians isn't nearly as strong but they do still have the power to give billions of aid to Israel). I doubt the muslim countries would stop hating Israel if the US stopped helping Israel but I also doubt that US support for Israel would stop if the muslim countries stopped supporting the palestinians.

I do however think that muslim anti-semitism would eventually wittle away if palestinians managed to obatin a respectable peace with Israel.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:41   Link #16636
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Sure the palestinians have the muslim world behind them but then again, Israel has the US behind them (Thankfully due to the US being a developed country, propaganda like that against palestinians isn't nearly as strong but they do still have the power to give billions of aid to Israel). I doubt the muslim countries would stop hating Israel if the US stopped helping Israel but I also doubt that US support for Israel would stop if the muslim countries stopped supporting the palestinians.
The Muslims from solely the Middle East itself outnumber the US, or any other superpower. If there is a war against Israel, nobody would help.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:47   Link #16637
biodude711
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The Muslims from solely the Middle East itself outnumber the US, or any other superpower. If there is a war against Israel, nobody would help.
You're assuming that the Muslims in the Middle East are part of one coherent group and would all band together to fight Israel. They are more likely to fight each other than fight Israel.
biodude711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:52   Link #16638
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post
You're assuming that the Muslims in the Middle East are part of one coherent group and would all band together to fight Israel. They are more likely to fight each other than fight Israel.
Actually they will, it is just that the tyrants are ordering their people to fight each other.

With Libya liberating, and Syria and Egypt up next, they would be cohesive enough to invoke "A Muslim must help his own Muslim brother in times of trouble".
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 08:56   Link #16639
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
A lot of hate against the US would vanish if it practiced what it preached. Many people in countries like Afghanistan have no clue about our news or politics, heck many of them never even heard of 9/11. What they do know is that those "kind Americans" are coming in and messing with what little stability they had.....and they don't like it.

Truthfully, I can't blame them. I'm sure it's quite the shock when American propaganda doesn't match up with American reality.

Is there really any point to denying a Palestine state anymore? Such a tiny plot of land that has claimed so many unnecessary lives.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 09:01   Link #16640
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
A lot of hate against the US would vanish if it practiced what it preached. Many people in countries like Afghanistan have no clue about our news or politics, heck many of them never even heard of 9/11. What they do know is that those "kind Americans" are coming in and messing with what little stability they had.....and they don't like it.

Truthfully, I can't blame them. I'm sure it's quite the shock when American propaganda doesn't match up with American reality.

Is there really any point to denying a Palestine state anymore? Such a tiny plot of land that has claimed so many unnecessary lives.
What they are actually fighting for is Jerusalem, a holy place for all Abrahamic religions. All three types of religious buildings are there - synagogue, mosque, church.

An effective solution would be to level every single religious building in that place. But we would need a scapegoat first. How about scientologist radicals?

Alternatively, after levelling those religious buildings, construct a holy building made to worship magical girls. Feminists around the world would stop complaining immediately, and it would certainly be filled everyday with worshippers.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.