AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Old 2011-09-22, 23:20   Link #34401
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
I'm certain they did have an absurd number of suitors and not just boys.
The extremely close relationship between them, or at least between Nanoha and Fate, would certainly give certain girls the wrong idea.

Or the right one.

Quote:
But I think they might have had some problems interacting with the other teenagers. Going through the Jewel Seed and Book of Darkness incidents probably brought them together on a level that anyone who wasn't involved would have a hard time understanding.
And they certainly gained enough friends that they're not really hurting for more.

Quote:
That probably would have made most boys look rather silly in their minds despite the rampaging hormones.
Especially when, as you say, they personally know three young, battle-proven men, rather than cocksure and/or insecure boys. Sets the standard higher.

Quote:
Particularly compared to specimens like Yuuno, Chrono, and Zafira.
We don't get bathing scenes with Zafira. I wonder if Hayate always liked feeling up his rock-hard muscles as much as Signum and Shamal's boobs.

If not, did she become uncomfortably aware of a new desire to do so as she grew older?

Quote:
I can see this happening so easily.

Magical Ferret Transfer Student Yuuno. Episode 1: The Transfer Student is a Professor!
Or the new class pet.

But seriously, Nanoha would probably put her foot down about that, too, like she did with her sister.

The question is, where would he stay? I'm not sure he's still welcome with Nanoha's parents after they learned his real species.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 23:43   Link #34402
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
I'm certain they did have an absurd number of suitors and not just boys. But I think they might have had some problems interacting with the other teenagers. Going through the Jewel Seed and Book of Darkness incidents probably brought them together on a level that anyone who wasn't involved would have a hard time understanding. That probably would have made most boys look rather silly in their minds despite the rampaging hormones. Particularly compared to specimens like Yuuno, Chrono, and Zafira.

I could see Fate being more curious than Hayate and Nanoha, but probably more interested in training to become an Enforcer given her background. Hayate has a family to take care of and Nanoha is probably still more interested in magic and training. I started imagining Nanoha getting married really early, to her job.

That's just my take on it, though.
what about Arisa and Suzuka? they seem to have more normal lives and even when they have knowledge of the magical adventures of their friends they also spent most of their time having more normal activities, worries and fun. I can perfectly picture Arisa being curious about that Suzuka will probably be more reserved.

...it won't be forgotten

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-22, 23:43   Link #34403
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Their daughter could wipe out cities if she so chose to. I really doubt Shiro and Momoko would have a problem with Yuuno being a human. And as it stands, all his time in the bath with the girls was because the girls railroaded him about, a situation Momoko herself had likely witnessed at one point or another.
Old 2011-09-23, 00:09   Link #34404
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
The extremely close relationship between them, or at least between Nanoha and Fate, would certainly give certain girls the wrong idea.

Or the right one.
All depends on the tastes of the interpreter.

Quote:
Especially when, as you say, they personally know three young, battle-proven men, rather than cocksure and/or insecure boys. Sets the standard higher.
A standard I'm pretty sure no boy in the Nanoverse can meet, at least on Earth.

Quote:
We don't get bathing scenes with Zafira. I wonder if Hayate always liked feeling up his rock-hard muscles as much as Signum and Shamal's boobs.

If not, did she become uncomfortably aware of a new desire to do so as she grew older?
I think he would be in wolf form during bath time unless circumstances prevented that. If he were in human form, I don't think Hayate would have groped him much if at all. She might have subconsciously thought 'I can wait to grow up and have a body like this' when groping Shamal and Signum when she was younger. Can't quite see that with Zafira.

She could have become aware of that desire as she grew older. But with only three targets, two of who are non-viable and the third a maybe, she might have pushed it onto the back burner or converted it into more Shamal and Signum groping. I say two non-viable because Chrono is married/engaged by now and groping Zafira might feel like groping her dad. Yuuno could be a groping victim, depending on the situation.

Quote:
The question is, where would he stay? I'm not sure he's still welcome with Nanoha's parents after they learned his real species.
That's a tricky one. On one side, he's a close friend who has been with her through thick and thin and done his best to protect her and teach her magic. On the other, their little girl under the same roof as a boy with a readily available means of getting into all sorts of hiding places for peeping while hormones are running rampant.

I think it would really be up to the author as to how they'd cover this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
what about Arisa and Suzuka? they seem to have more normal lives and even when they have knowledge of the magical adventures of their friends they also spent most of their time having more normal activities, worries and fun. I can perfectly picture Arisa being curious about that Suzuka will probably be more reserved.
I can see those two having no real troubles, honestly. I was referring more towards Hayate, Nanoha, and Fate. Bad wording on my part, sorry.
Old 2011-09-23, 00:39   Link #34405
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic-vic View Post
Wow, Fate-chan sure have a good imagination. Seems that Yuuno have a good chances to steal Erio fame as memetic sex god here too.
Yes... He has a great chance.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 05:37   Link #34406
nemo1986

Quote:
All depends on the tastes of the interpreter.

That's a tricky one. On one side, he's a close friend who has been with her through thick and thin and done his best to protect her and teach her magic. On the other, their little girl under the same roof as a boy with a readily available means of getting into all sorts of hiding places for peeping while hormones are running rampant.
This is Yuuno we are talking about. One good look at his personality and you realize you have nothing to worry about. Plus this is a kid who most parents would love to have marrying their daughter.
nemo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 08:40   Link #34407
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1986 View Post
This is Yuuno we are talking about. One good look at his personality and you realize you have nothing to worry about. Plus this is a kid who most parents would love to have marrying their daughter.
His device, tough, is an entirely different matter o.o

...it won't be forgotten

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-09-23, 09:03   Link #34408
Sunder the Gold

You know, for all I've thought about getting Yuuno a Device, I'd never really considered what sort of personality it would have.

Raising Heart's and Bardiche's personalities don't really make that much impact (some impact, yes), and generally don't make trouble for their owners.

I haven't read more than the begining and a few later bits of "Blood That Flows", but it sounds like Thoth has more than enough personality for three Intelligence Devices.

I'll have to go back and read all the rest to see what I think about that.

As to Yuuno being a gentleman from his middleschool to highschool years, unless you're going for a shotgun wedding, you don't house a dog in a butcher shop. That much proximity to temptation is just cruel.
Old 2011-09-23, 09:10   Link #34409
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
You know, for all I've thought about getting Yuuno a Device, I'd never really considered what sort of personality it would have.

Raising Heart's and Bardiche's personalities don't really make that much impact (some impact, yes), and generally don't make trouble for their owners.

I haven't read more than the begining and a few later bits of "Blood That Flows", but it sounds like Thoth has more than enough personality for three Intelligence Devices.

Thot Driver was fun at first but i find him a bit annoying(it's like having Happosai as your device -_-), it have the power to channel all the escence of Negima into him xDU.

Apparently you're planning on taking Yuuno's character a bit more seriously(note: more seriously doesn't meant not-funny, you can get Yuuno to do fun stuff without involving naked girls xDU), so i recommend you to analize his personality and find him a good companion if you want to make him a device, probably a device that supports his gentle and protective personality, i see him more as a Wise Hoot than as a fierce lion.

...it won't be forgotten

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-09-23, 09:55   Link #34410
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Thot Driver was fun at first but i find him a bit annoying(it's like having Happosai as your device -_-)
Why do you even bother reading the story?

You made it quite clear that you didn't like it awhile ago.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 10:02   Link #34411
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Why do you even bother reading the story?

You made it quite clear that you didn't like it awhile ago.
Yo do write stuff that appeals to my tastes once in a while. I find Quint's story tearjearkingly interesting and some of the developìng surrounding the Wolkenritter, also i'm waiting for Subaru to actively enters the scene as a heroine given that she now have plenty of reasons for being an heroic underdog(Shooting Arts really looks small in comparission with Holy and Chaos magics as well as the Mazoku) and, unlike Signum, Subaru can be more interesting the more she gets beaten.

I usually do a quick surf-reading of your chapters and if i find something that catches my attention i read the full chapter.

I just noticed Thot Driver because his lines are bolded xDU.

...it won't be forgotten

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-09-23, 11:15   Link #34412
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:

In a story I wrote, I gave him a deck of cards as his device. It was a device as a whole, but each card caused a buff or debuff effect. The more cards added to a spell, the greater the spell effects. He could also use them as razor sharp throwing weapons, line them up as a shield, or even use them as shooter or reflective bits. I had called it "Mana of Light," but it could have gotten a different one.

On another note, I wrote something.

Spoiler for Chapter 3.5 - The Phantasm:
Old 2011-09-23, 11:54   Link #34413
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
I can see this happening so easily.

Magical Ferret Transfer Student Yuuno. Episode 1: The Transfer Student is a Professor!
I'm likely going to spend my weekend trying to write that now.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 13:00   Link #34414
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
In a story I wrote, I gave him a deck of cards as his device. It was a device as a whole, but each card caused a buff or debuff effect. The more cards added to a spell, the greater the spell effects. He could also use them as razor sharp throwing weapons, line them up as a shield, or even use them as shooter or reflective bits. I had called it "Mana of Light," but it could have gotten a different one.
Cards that hold single-use spells do exist in the Nanohaverse, as those are what the Lieze twins used.

But I don't see a deck of cards being an appropriate tool for a scholar. A gambler, street magician or fortune-teller, perhaps.

Quote:
Chapter 3.5 - The Phantasm"]Chapter 3.5 - The Phantasm
Cool. Where are the other chapters?

I think Yuuno might be better off learning from Reimu, perhaps. Except she sucks at explaining things, so Yuuno would learn more by taking inspiration from her tricks to reverse-engineer what she does than by learning from her directly.

Combining his scrying skills with his dimensional teleportation abilities might yield her kaleidoscopic / fun house vision, where she sees her enemy mirrored many times around her, from different angles, and flies towards the one that isn't facing her. Her dimensional slide technique.

Dimensional sliding in a different direction, maybe he could copy her ability to become effectively intangible; existing yet not existing, present but not present.

Combining dimensional shifting with fields could yield Reimu's Duplex Barrier, for screwing with the enemy's mind and movements.

But maybe Yukari can teach him these tricks better, plus her version of Shamal's Window of Travels; that is, her gaps.

Also, those long stairs... Did Yuuno go looking for Yukari in the Netherworld? I sooner expected him to run into Youmu or Yuyuko.

We don't know if Yukari's home has ungodly long stairs, because no one know where she lives.
Old 2011-09-23, 13:31   Link #34415
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Cards that hold single-use spells do exist in the Nanohaverse, as those are what the Lieze twins used.

But I don't see a deck of cards being an appropriate tool for a scholar. A gambler, street magician or fortune-teller, perhaps.
The Tarot can be scholarly, particularly in studying their meanings and representations. It was more about how the cards are multi-functional, limited to only the user's intelligence. Yuuno has that in spades.

Quote:
Cool. Where are the other chapters?
Sadly, no other chapters. I just skipped what would be intro and filler, getting straight to one of the fun parts.

Quote:
Also, those long stairs... Did Yuuno go looking for Yukari in the Netherworld? I sooner expected him to run into Youmu or Yuyuko.

We don't know if Yukari's home has ungodly long stairs, because no one know where she lives.
Officially:
Yuuno found Gensokyo and breached the barrier after perusing a number of documents. One of them described a long staircase, so he searched for that. Mayohiga is thought to be where Yukari truly is, but Yuuno didn't know that, skipping the lost village. Since he broke through the barrier, Yukari kept a secret eye on him and sent Ran to stop him from getting any further into the Netherworld. Hearing his story from Ran, Yukari decided to intervene instead.

Unofficially:
Touhou Project: Youyoumu - Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantasm Stage [Pacifist Run]

Yes. This means Yuuno is pro grazer and has h4x shields to stop a pi-chuun~

If I were to write more, I'd have him learning bits from other magicians, returning home with a decidedly eclectic collection of new skills and spells.
Old 2011-09-23, 14:24   Link #34416
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins

Advice Start

Advice 2

Advice 3

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peek - Advice End:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 14:33   Link #34417
staplesdex2

Another shout out to The White Devil of the Moon. Nice.
staplesdex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 16:15   Link #34418
Sunder the Gold

I like White Devil of the Moon. I really do like it.

I especially like the reinterpretation of Princess Serenity and her mother's court (which is less a reinterpretation and more like a reasonable criticism), and the ways in which the modern Sailor Scouts are different while still being themelves, and how Usagi NOT being Sailor Moon and present since day one has led the Scouts and Mamoru to idolize a princess they've never met. And I love how their expectations are explicitly not met, and yet exceeded in all of the practical ways the Scouts didn't even think to hope for.

I like how Mamoru is not villainized by the mistakes he makes, and how his mistakes are perfectly believable. He comes across as sympathic even as it's obvious that he's very misguided. Unlike the Scouts, he built up an image of Princess Serenity based on memories from a past life when he doesn't have any memories of his current life. Not realizing his mistake is sad and unfortunate, but the author doesn't hold it against him, and the readers are encouraged to give him a break as well.

Even Luna, who skirts closest to unsympathetic, and whose ambitions are destined to be the most painfully dashed against reality, is a believable and somewhat sympathetic character who is just doing what she believes best. She's not even using reprehensible methods to do it, even though she's being calculating about it. I actually feel sorry for her eventual rude awakening; it's going to hurt to accept that the Moon Kingdom is well and truly dead, since the "princess" isn't going to see a point in rebuilding it, especially as there's really nothing LEFT.

All of the Nanoha cast are exactly themselves as well, which is cool. I even got to enjoy feeling happy for Precia, during the brief amount of time in which she had more or less everything she ever wanted.

I have only one complaint: Yuuno.

There's a lot to like! He's very much involved in what's going on, as a friend, advisor, scholar, and magical teacher. He might even participate in a fight or two, and one of the Sailor Scouts (Amy, naturally) considers him an interesting romantic prospect, or at least a potential good friend.

There's just one aspect of his characterization that doesn't work, and that's his reactions regarding Nanoha.

I'm sorry, but the moment that Fate told Yuuno that Nanoha had collapsed and nearly burnt her Linker Core out, he should have been running out the door to the nearest teleporter facility or prepping a Dimensional Transporter spell or doing whatever it takes to get to Earth.

His reaction should not be to sigh and then go on about business as usual. NO ONE else in the cast would have had that kind of lame reaction.

Yuuno's reaction to Fate declaring romantic feelings for Nanoha, and Nanoha returning them, should likewise not be a mild shrug. Even when he was a little nine-year old boy, Yuuno was jealous of Nanoha's attention, practically growling at Chrono whenever Nanoha was nice to him.

I'm not saying that Yuuno would become hostile to Fate, but I'd expect him to be at least somewhat upset and depressed about it.

Note that I'm not even saying that I think the story should be Nanoha/Yuuno. Certainly, that's my preference, but it's not a requirement for me to enjoy a work.

But I DO expect Yuuno's feelings for Nanoha to recieve more acknowledgement than this.

Still, overall a great story, and I look forward to future chapters.
Old 2011-09-23, 16:27   Link #34419
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Maybe you should mention that OOC moment on the fic's Tropes page.

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 16:34   Link #34420
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
I never like the idea of Yuuno having a Device. His Uniqueness is a good, if not very good, mage without a Device. Give him a device and he feels like everyone else. Getting a different source of power up like from a Lost Logia would better though.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha