AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 10 17.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 53.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 17.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-24, 09:37   Link #61
Mercurius.H
King of Hg

1995, Mar. 20. So it was almost confirmed that "the incident" refers to Subway Sarin Attack.

I'm quite interested in how far Ikuhara could bring this plot on. As far as I see in Japanese anime/manga industry, they have a pathological fear of direct reference to real-life people, entities, and incidents, on which they usually use very heavy disguise of self-cencorship.

Sarin Attack itself almost became a taboo in entertainment industry. The only instances are only appeared in Haruki Murakami's serious literature, to which this show has so far made many references.

I have discovered a truly remarkable signature which this margin is too small to contain.
Old 2011-09-24, 10:37   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's no surprise the Sarin gas attack is such a third wire for the Japanese, because the event is more psychologically traumatic to the nation than the Kobe Earthquake or 3/11. Whether you believe in Western religion, Buddhism, Shinto or atheism you can find an explanation for a natural disaster that fits your worldview.

But Japan is a nation where violent crime is incredibly rare, never mind mass murder, and this was before 9/11 and even Oklahoma City (which occurred almost exactly a month after the Sarin attacks) somewhat prepared the world for the notion that such things could happen in a rich, modern society. The social contract is incredibly important in Japan and everyone does their part to support the common good - you can see this not just in daily life but in the truly admirable way the country responded to the horrific disaster of 3/11 - and what tiny minority groups there are are expected to accept being discriminated against gracefully and silently. For something like 3/20/95 to happen in the incredibly safe city of Tokyo was an affront to everything the country believed in.
Old 2011-09-24, 10:40   Link #63
Kirarakim

Yeah I am kind of wondering how the Sarin Gas Attacks will be brought up in a sensitive manner too. Like I said earlier mixing fiction with reality (especially in a case like this) is always tricky.

Perhaps it won't be the Sarin Gas attacks but something similar. Possibly the series takes place in a world parallel to our own (although admittedly there is nothing to support that).
Old 2011-09-24, 11:42   Link #64
YayPepsi

That's why I still think that the sarin gas attack is going to be a red-herring. In Japan it's such a well known event so everyone would assume that the show is referring to the gas attack... but it might turn out to be something else in the end. No one ever came out and said it was the sarin gas attack yet. I think Ikuhara may surprise us.
Old 2011-09-24, 11:43   Link #65
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Reincarnation is front and center in the series now. The diary is either the penguin drum, or the key to finding it. With all of the factions (twins, Natsume and likely Yuri) all vying for it, I don't think it can be dismissed as a red herring any longer.

Ringo calls herself the reincarnation of Momoka, and needs the diary to be reborn. The twins want to save their "dead" sister, and are directed to obtain the diary, even if they don't understand why. Natsume refuses to give the diary to Kanba, because she needs it to save Mario, who presumably is in a similar situation.

It seems that all factions are seeking a rebirth of one kind or another, with the diary being the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele-ene-ene View Post
The author claims that the series begins with the death of the penguin zero
Momoka= penguin zero? How can you kill a penguin? They are resistant to almost everything.
Natsume responds: seals kill penguins.
And Tabuki is depicted as a "helpless" seal in Ringo's fantasy. Nice catch.
Old 2011-09-24, 12:36   Link #66
ele-ene-ene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Spoiler for episode 11:
żLeaving her to die without medical attention for giving priority to the birth of twins?

Spoiler for wikipedia sarin gas attak:

is a possibility, but I do not think so

I think it has more to do with a Project M, if "Project M" = maternity (birth of twins)

Old 2011-09-24, 13:41   Link #67
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
The series got me fooled into thinking that Natsume was the onw who stole the first half of the diary. Makes me think it might be a new character (or Yuri? O_O)

I love Yuri and Natsume in this episode. The twins I adored since the very beginning xD

About the gas attack, I don't think the parents are responsible for that.... the twins seem so certain that it's their fault. So maybe they did something that got their parents into trouble. Ugh, the mystery about their parents... hopefully that gets explained soon >_<
My guess:

There was only a limited amount of antidote available for victims of the Sarin Gas Attack and the hospital had to choose who to give it to. The pregnant woman giving birth was prioritized over the young 16 year old girl.

Lets see what google can tell us to confirm or deny this theory:
As there was a severe shortage of antidotes in Tokyo...

Five pregnant women exposed to Sarin Gas... received atropine...

Yup...

Interesting that the antidote is known to pass through the placenta and has unknown side effects on the children...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-09-24, 14:00   Link #68
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Of course Ringo's mother was just as pregnant and just as much in labor that day as the boys' mother was.
Old 2011-09-24, 14:36   Link #69
Kirarakim

The antidote sounds like a good theory. Although I wouldn't see why they wouldn't get it maybe the twins parents stole it for Kanba and Shouma.

I don't know I still can't get it out of my head that the parents did something wrong for the twins: the fact that they are now missing, the scene of Himari leaving school in episode 9, that strong sense of protection their parents gave off.

But hopefully we will find out next episode because I am dying to know now.
Old 2011-09-24, 15:44   Link #70
faburosumakusu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Of course Ringo's mother was just as pregnant and just as much in labor that day as the boys' mother was.
But Ringo's mother wasn't necessarily with Momoka when she was in the subway.
Old 2011-09-24, 17:01   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by faburosumakusu View Post
But Ringo's mother wasn't necessarily with Momoka when she was in the subway.
No, but neither was the boys' mother, and that's the point. It's all just conjecture at this point and we don't know why Shouma said what he did. But I can't think that the fact that all three of them were born on the same day is a coincidence.
Old 2011-09-24, 17:12   Link #72
Kirarakim

The fact that all 3 of them are born on the same day could tie into fate. Fate seems to be an important aspect of the show. I just think at this point none of the characters truly understand it yet.
Old 2011-09-25, 03:36   Link #73
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

OK, new theory.....

Natsume was working with Yuri all these time and they were always seen calling each other. During the hospital screen, it was Yuri who picked the 1st half up and handed it to Natsume as part of the deal. In the bike incident, it was Yuri who tear the diary and stole it off. The tricky twist here is, Yuri has a different motive to what Natsume has, and she purposely hid the 2nd half.

We will fall into Ikuhara's mind trap if we assume everyone's motives are stealing the diary and reviving a dead person

Is Tabuki really Yuri's fiancee? Or was he part of Yuri's group, who secretly working with something concerning Ringo? She does not even blink when heard about Tabuki going wild so maybe she does not hold him so highly afterall. Ringo may play a more important role than we thought, considering her sister's diary has been the center of this anime

PS: and quite amused at the theory that Ringo, Kanba, and Shouma are triplets, and Takakura families gave Oginome family Ringo because they are partly responsible for Momoka's death. (After all, Ringo's mother looks like she recognized something when hearing Shouma's last name)

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-09-25 at 04:01.
Old 2011-09-26, 07:30   Link #74
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I do not like the triplets theory. They're my twins. twin boys. TWIN BISHIES. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
My guess:

There was only a limited amount of antidote available for victims of the Sarin Gas Attack and the hospital had to choose who to give it to. The pregnant woman giving birth was prioritized over the young 16 year old girl.

Lets see what google can tell us to confirm or deny this theory:
As there was a severe shortage of antidotes in Tokyo...

Five pregnant women exposed to Sarin Gas... received atropine...

Yup...

Interesting that the antidote is known to pass through the placenta and has unknown side effects on the children...
Ooo... that's pretty convincing. I can't imagine their parents doing a crime.... or at least not intentional... or not the mother (I have a feeling that Kanba somehow got his bad boy attitude from his dad)

Thanks!
Old 2011-09-26, 10:02   Link #75
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
I do not like the triplets theory. They're my twins. twin boys. TWIN BISHIES. xD

Ooo... that's pretty convincing. I can't imagine their parents doing a crime.... or at least not intentional... or not the mother (I have a feeling that Kanba somehow got his bad boy attitude from his dad)

Thanks!
...and then we will find out that Himari is actually adopted to replace the gave-away daughter (Ringo). Which then Kanba will turn to Shouma and scream "BOOYAAA, who is the siscon now"

Anyway,so you think the dad stole the antidote for his wife,that's why they were more or less despised by the society?
Old 2011-09-26, 11:00   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have only one thing to say about the triplet theory:

Double your incest, double your fun! Double your incest with Penguindrum!

In other words, I wouldn't rule out the triplet theory for the simple reason that anime likes going for these sorts of relationships...
Old 2011-09-26, 11:21   Link #77
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have only one thing to say about the triplet theory:

Double your incest, double your fun! Double your incest with Penguindrum!

In other words, I wouldn't rule out the triplet theory for the simple reason that anime likes going for these sorts of relationships...
Not only incest,but twincest in fact
And if we still hold on to the sinking ship to predict an HimarixRingo ending, it will be triple

Still, i don't think Shouma x Ringo ship is steady yet. So anything could still happen.I means Ringo walking away from Tabuki may actually due to her finally acknowledging her own identity (away from being Momoka's reincarnation) due to Shouma's influence, rather than because she realises her love toward Shouma. Then Ringo is still pretty much within Shouma's friend zone
Old 2011-09-27, 17:17   Link #78
Forsaken_Infinity

Holy shit I want that twincest triplets theory to come true.

Heck, there's always fanfiction. Gonna make it happen if shit doesn't work right in the anime itself. Would be beyond funny to see the reaction of people who were calling Kanba a siscon and playing Shoma up as the good boy etc. even though I am ~99% sure Shoma has dirtier secrets than Kanba this whole triplet thing nonwithstanding.

On another note,
that theory that Natsume and Yuri are working together sounds very plausible. Because Yuri is the perfect suspect in both the diary steal cases - she would know what the fuck was going on in her apartment with Tabuki (she timed her visit to ensure Ringo would be pressed into a quick escape) to steal in the first case and the silhouette of the woman who picked the diary resembled hers much more than it did of Natsume. She has also been there to "cockblock" Ringo in all her scheduled events as per the diary. And the way she reacts to things is just too unnatural. However, I am pretty sure she does think of Tabuki romantically. That "you won't beat me" proclamation to Ringo had real menace in it. I think a much more likely scenario is that Tabuki's calling the shots.
Old 2011-09-28, 06:48   Link #79
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Well, this episode ended with quite the wham, didn't it?
UNDERSTATEMENT!

Ehhheheheheh, it went in and out of higurashi, stopping next to code geass then went right back to death note!
Old 2011-10-01, 17:23   Link #80
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Good episode and great cliffhanger. More insight into the characters' past and Masako may just be more insane than Ringo.

Also the frog part was lol wut. I feel bad for Tabuki :X

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread