AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 26 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 43 46.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 28.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 15.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-25, 15:12   Link #21
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I might have actually cried if they played "My Heart Will Go On" during the scene where the Okami walked through the empty inn.

Great last episode.
Last episode >>> All other episodes combined, actually.

Wonder why Shinichirou's dad is there... Their house should be in a different place, though... (-_-)
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 15:39   Link #22
Student no.0
Unemployed Mecha
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Lots of good finales this season(as far as I've seen that is). This one would probably be #3 on my list. Echoing previous posts, the only thing that got on my nerves a bit was no future glimpse. I really enjoyed seeing everyone move on with their lives, as well as seeing the product of Nako's development. Overall I'd give this episode and the entire series a 8/10.
__________________
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 16:01   Link #23
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Pretty good finale I really would have liked a few years later reunion like everyone. It was really touching to see Okami walk into the rooms to see memories fleeting by. It reminds be of leaving my old cottage behind me. The last place my family was all together and alive, before we sold it after 20 years. So I really know that feeling of leaving something precious behind and recalling all those memories.

Maybe we will get a sequel...not likely but we can only hope.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 16:04   Link #24
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kappas' country.
Loved the ending. I was tense all along, scared Sui would leave this world once the inn closed. Glad they decided to let her live even tho Ohana took on her dream.

Thought they came with the perfect resolution with Ohana's wish. From start, it was clear for me this story was about Ohana's family issues and they did a wonderful job at connecting all 3 generations of Shijima girls. It does take time for people to understand each others and to find your way when you're still a teen.
Both aspects have been perfectly handled through those 26 episodes. Couldn't ask for more.

Ko was too much of a side character for me to really care about him but still was feeling happy for Ohana to finally be able to confess. Also Minchi and Tohoru are a perfect match. Did like how Tohoru still treat her as a capable apprentice and decided to see how their relation was going to evolve rather than having a 180° change of attitude toward her. He is a keep Minchi!

Favorite character was undoubtedly Sui though. Could feel tears coming up to my eyes when she promised to wait for Ohana. Such a strong woman. She gets my infinite respect.

Thanks P.A Works.
__________________
Nina.Wolken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 16:24   Link #25
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Ironically Okami ended up being my favorite character.

I would much prefer more of her, or even a prequel then I would them revisiting anyone else to be quite honest.
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 17:01   Link #26
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Think it was a nice ending. Liked Ohana's wish to become like Sui. Sad the Inn closed but it was for the best right now. Liked how they showed what everyone was doing afterwards.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 17:29   Link #27
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
i was hoping for a time skip at the end, but i wasn't expecting it to happen. but like a true slice of life show, the only way for it to end is for life to move on. it definitely had its rough patches, but as a whole, i was very happy with it.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 18:03   Link #28
taichi-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
We need a DVD epilogue.... because we all know that they will return to kissuiso.

I also wanted more ohana-kou... it was rare...


And more development between minko-tohru,well they are working together now.
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 18:27   Link #29
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Holy fuck. Did PA works just release a final episode that didn't have me rolling my eyes? Good job Mari Okada, you lasted one episode without torturing your characters.

Anyhow, I must be praising them for the amazing scenery and visuals this episode, including that really good looking shot of the inn.

And yea, this is no fairy tale ending. Grandma decides to ragequit for sure since there's no way Einshi's going to run the inn like this. And with a sigh, everyone decides to treasure their last minutes on this show and hold a show cancellation party. Could things have changed? Well, shit just happens.

I like how Ohana just blurted out her love to that fool. That was probably the most sensible way for it to go through. Usually this kind of thing is drawn out in anime, and Shana clearly needs to learn from Ohana. Plus she did it without clotheslining her love intrest to the ground. So everyone left unharmed and with their dignity intact.

So Ohana goes back to where she was, but she's a different person, and we all learned some valuable lessons, and so did grandma.

Sometimes, it's just needed to fest it up. 8/10
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 19:08   Link #30
Kev-kun
Curiousity is a Virtue?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
This episode was the icing on the cake. Topped every other ep up ^^ 9/10
__________________
Kev-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 20:47   Link #31
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Pretty fulfilling episode, middle got a bit over-dramatic at times with talking about dreams and stuff lol. But overall, good touch.

Too bad Ko is left too much as a side-character, and even now you feel it never evolve to anything more than a high school crush between each other.

I was super disappoint when Ohana didn't spend the night with Ko.

If only this scene and line was said when they were alone together.

Spoiler for climax:
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 20:47   Link #32
broken270
Defying gravity
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Beautiful moment in the end when Sui said that she will be waiting for her. As always, the visual images/backgrounds of this show were superb. Definitely hope that they would all come back together somehow someway in the Kissuisou that they love. Nice to put images of what everyone was doing after it shut down. Hopefully, they will see each other again. Great work overall.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 21:17   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
That was a very lovely, elegaic finale. For me, as much as I was rooting for KoHana, all of the emotional highlights involved Sui (as was so often the case over the last few eps). In a sense, I think we were sold a show about a young girl and ended up with a show about an old lady, but that was OK by me.

As a longtime Kou supporter, let me reach out to the legions of Kou haters and Tohru-philes now that the series has ended, with these simple words of reconciliation:

Neener neener neener.
__________________
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 21:18   Link #34
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
The only thing that made my eyes sting was the moment Sui was walking the inn, and met eyes with Beanman. They did such a good job of making it seem like there was real history there, and that it was really coming to an end. I think the finality of it is what got me. Sui and Ohana will meet again, likely at the Kissuiso. I also liked how they book-ended Ohana's time at the inn by having her scrub the deck as her final act there.

A few bumps, but I still enjoyed the ride.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 21:23   Link #35
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
A rather interesting final episode. On the one hand, I feel like the entire show now was basically a story about nothing. Nothing's left in the end, for me to hold on to, so my entire experience with this show might as well have been meaningless. On the other hand, the finale was successful in showing how we had gotten a brief glimpse into the lives of these many characters. I don't actually believe in the future reunion of all of these characters--that's not how life works, not how people and the world around them change, not how being apart causes the fading away of anything precious. But at the same time, the feelings that they carry right now, cultivated through the experiences they shared, do seem as if they have made the journey beautiful.

Maybe that's the concept I'm grasping at? You don't know what something was really worth until its gone? The finale makes me look back more fondly on all of the other episodes, all of the characters (Jiromaru, Enishi, even), but as a conclusion itself the story became (for me) pretty much pointless.

I'm actually kind of impressed in that this series seems to have presented "life", just as it is (at least, as its apparent intention). No greater meaning or narrative tacked on to it, and the story/characters are also imperfect and messy in a way that isn't romanticized. Unfortunately, for me the whole point of fiction is to have at least something idealized (at least something ruined, at least something transcended), so this "slice of real life" story has no fictional value to me.

Hanasaku Iroha has been moderately enjoyable as I have watched my way through it, but I guess this ending marks a truly perfect occasion to put it away. That's that, then. The end.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 28/5 :: Locodol 50/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sabagebu 28/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
Fall:
Sora no Method 20/5 :: Karen Senki 8/5 :: Cross Ange 1/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Best adorable shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 22:46   Link #36
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
A rather interesting final episode. On the one hand, I feel like the entire show now was basically a story about nothing. Nothing's left in the end, for me to hold on to, so my entire experience with this show might as well have been meaningless. On the other hand, the finale was successful in showing how we had gotten a brief glimpse into the lives of these many characters. I don't actually believe in the future reunion of all of these characters--
In the sense of "All/most of them at once, back working at a reopened Kissuiso, more or less picking off from where they left off", I'm inclined to agree with you. Barring a direct sequel to this anime, anyway.

The reason being that I simply have little to no faith in Enishi.


Enishi's character and story is an interesting one, though.

His chief strength is that he's sincerely well-intentioned with some ambitions, but his chief weakness is that he just doesn't have what it takes to turn those intentions into reality. I've grown fond of the idea that Ohana is the shonen-esque heroine that typically achieves her goals almost by sheer force of will alone. With that in mind, Enishi is intriguingly the total antithesis to that. Enishi gets results that are almost the exact opposite of those that your standard shonen hero gets. However, you could say that Enishi is what the average real life guy would end up like if he tried to bulldoze ahead like a shonen hero regardless of his personal capabilities at what he is trying to do.

So on the one hand, Enishi is kind of a cynical/pessimistic commentary on how that shonen spirit would play out in real life more often than not.

But on the other hand, I think that Enishi shows that maybe there's something endearing about a guy that just refuses to quit, and keeps having lofty dreams that he simply can't reach. I've known a fair number of Enishis in real life. Generally decent guys with dreams and schemes and a longing to earn the admiration and respect of others, but they just can't pull it altogether to make it work. They're not dumb, per se, they're just not good with details and maintaining follow-through.

Sui was touched when Enishi made his declaration to her in this final episode, but I don't think it's because she believes he'll achieve his goals, but rather because she believes that he sincerely believes he'll achieve his goals and hence he means what he's saying. In other words, she was touched by the simple fact that Enishi really does want to earn his mother's pride and approval, and rescue her Inn. He probably won't do it, but at least he truly does want to, and maybe there is something touching in that alone.

The characters in this anime are indeed messy and imperfect like many (most?) real life people. Simple, basic "salt of the Earth" types that nonetheless can make some goofy choices, crack under pressure, be very moody, and try to look cool while having it come off a bit half-baked. At the end of the day they're basically good, decent people. They're just underachievers in the way a leading economist would measure productivity, say.


I am impressed by the sheer range of kinda realistic personalities in this anime, and yet not one of them is truly idealized.

Maybe this really is anime's answer to Seinfeld. Maybe this is an anime all about nothing.

That's all folks.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 23:20   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
The difference between Seinfeld and HanaIro is all in the execution. And that's all I have to say on that subject!

In terms of the inn, I actually thought that "We'll close it now and reopen it later, and the kind townsfolk will maintain it for us free of charge" was the weakest part of the finale. A bit of a cop-out, really. If that was intended as one of those promises you make to make feel better, knowing it's not true, there'd be a kind of pathos to it - but I think it was intended that we really believe it. If the decision is to close the inn, then stick with that and let everyone get on with their lives. If you want to make a go of it, let Enishi make a go and struggle to keep it going long enough to hand it off to Ohana. Don't try and have it both ways.

Series and finale blog posts:
__________________

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2011-09-26 at 01:05.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 23:25   Link #38
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
This is, perhaps, a way better finale than I had actually expected at this point. It went above and beyond what I thought the show could do at this point. Again, the capacity to tack on a cheesy feel good happy ending finale for everyone was there but it didn't materialize, and quite thankfully at that. A very circular show, for what it started out and ended with.

More comments later.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 23:56   Link #39
Manabu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
Very good ending.

As for Ohana confession, I was annoyed at first, that she postponed yet again, but as aways, they solved it quickly, unexpectedly, consistently and realisticaly (yep..). It was fun to see how Kou was startled when she blurted out it in front of the yakisoba-ten! He was clearly waiting for her confession, but was taken by surprise. Ohana has once more proven her "Kuuki ga Yomenai" trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
In terms of the inn, I actually thought that "We'll close it now and reopen it later, and the kind townsfolk will maintain it for us free of charge" was the weakest part of the finale. A bit of a cop-out, really. If that was intended as one of those promises you make to make feel better, knowing it's not true, there'd be a kind of pathos to it - but I think it was intended that we really believe it. If the decision is to close the inn, then stick with that and let everyone get on with their lives. If you want to make a go of it, let Enishi make a go and struggle to keep it going long enough to hand it off to Ohana. Don't try and have it both ways.
Fully agree with that. But I also liked to see the characters past kissuisou, and it leaves open for an OVA or something continuing the story.

For all that said that the inn would change it's name: YOU WERE WRONG.

Well, I was kinda wrong about Satsuki also... well, she came to work in the inn... but yeah, then back to Tokyo.

I liked this series alot. Many episodes were masterpieces, but there were some mediocriness in the middle, so all in all I will give it an 9/10, because no episode was forgoten, and all of them helped to pave the story.
Manabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 00:47   Link #40
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In the sense of "All/most of them at once, back working at a reopened Kissuiso, more or less picking off from where they left off", I'm inclined to agree with you. Barring a direct sequel to this anime, anyway.

The reason being that I simply have little to no faith in Enishi.


Enishi's character and story is an interesting one, though.

His chief strength is that he's sincerely well-intentioned with some ambitions, but his chief weakness is that he just doesn't have what it takes to turn those intentions into reality. I've grown fond of the idea that Ohana is the shonen-esque heroine that typically achieves her goals almost by sheer force of will alone. With that in mind, Enishi is intriguingly the total antithesis to that. Enishi gets results that are almost the exact opposite of those that your standard shonen hero gets. However, you could say that Enishi is what the average real life guy would end up like if he tried to bulldoze ahead like a shonen hero regardless of his personal capabilities at what he is trying to do.

So on the one hand, Enishi is kind of a cynical/pessimistic commentary on how that shonen spirit would play out in real life more often than not.

But on the other hand, I think that Enishi shows that maybe there's something endearing about a guy that just refuses to quit, and keeps having lofty dreams that he simply can't reach. I've known a fair number of Enishis in real life. Generally decent guys with dreams and schemes and a longing to earn the admiration and respect of others, but they just can't pull it altogether to make it work. They're not dumb, per se, they're just not good with details and maintaining follow-through.

Sui was touched when Enishi made his declaration to her in this final episode, but I don't think it's because she believes he'll achieve his goals, but rather because she believes that he sincerely believes he'll achieve his goals and hence he means what he's saying. In other words, she was touched by the simple fact that Enishi really does want to earn his mother's pride and approval, and rescue her Inn. He probably won't do it, but at least he truly does want to, and maybe there is something touching in that alone.

The characters in this anime are indeed messy and imperfect like many (most?) real life people. Simple, basic "salt of the Earth" types that nonetheless can make some goofy choices, crack under pressure, be very moody, and try to look cool while having it come off a bit half-baked. At the end of the day they're basically good, decent people. They're just underachievers in the way a leading economist would measure productivity, say.
Well, optimistically, maybe it's just the beginning for Enishi. It's the first time he's truly left the nest. Before, he just coasted on the fact he was the owner's son. That he'd be stuck in that inn no matter what. In fact, until recently, he believed his sister would come back to take charge of everything anyway.

It's different, now. He can get fired, for one thing. He has a goal of his own, rather than an inability to escape his mother. So maybe he will, at last, grow.

Or maybe Takako will learn and do something.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.