AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-25, 20:00   Link #1
syke123
.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lost in a delusional world.
Anime Similar to Phantom?

Okay, so anything similar, by that I mean something in the same genre but doesn't have to be entirely? It needs to have a touch of romance which plays a major role in the story, although subtly.

The setting is irrelevant, whether it's in the future or in the past or if it includes assassins, doesn't really matter. I just require that drama/suspense/creativity/romance this anime had. But if there's something exactly like this please tell which I highly doubt.
syke123 is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 12:26   Link #2
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin is an anime which I could relate to Phantom the most, I really liked it^^

Though I do like Phantom more but Rainbow are aweasome series. It has drama, suspence, some creativity and a bit of romance. That's a must watch!
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 12:30   Link #3
syke123
.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lost in a delusional world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin is an anime which I could relate to Phantom the most, I really liked it^^

Though I do like Phantom more but Rainbow are aweasome series. It has drama, suspence, some creativity and a bit of romance. That's a must watch!
Thanks, I'll have to try it.
syke123 is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 13:09   Link #4
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Here are some more that have drama/suspense/creativity/romance elements:
Bungaku Shoujo are series which have drama, some suspence, creativity in some way and some romance. Not action series though.

Chrno Crusade are action series with some drama (mostly towards the end), suspence, creativity and some romance/friendship. Depends how you interrup it.

Death Note are great suspence series with drama, creativity and some romance.

Ga-Rei Zero are really nice action series with drama and romance as well as some creativity.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica looks childish at first but are much deeper and darker series than they look at first glance.

Shiki are great suspence series with drama. Not so strong romance vice though.

Ghost Hunt are also good suspence/drama series. Some romance implications but nothing major.

They are not as close to Phantom as Rainbow, at least in my opinion. But still can give similar vibe so I think you should try them.

My personal favorite series are:
Phantom
Ghost Hunt
Shiki
Ga-Rei Zero
Magical Madoka

I also like Mai HiME series which have drama and suspence in second half, first is mostly comedy. So those are not exactly what you want. But if you will like Madoka, then Mai HiME could be a nice choice to try.

Rainbow is really close to my top list
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 16:18   Link #5
syke123
.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lost in a delusional world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Here are some more that have drama/suspense/creativity/romance elements:
Bungaku Shoujo are series which have drama, some suspence, creativity in some way and some romance. Not action series though.

Chrno Crusade are action series with some drama (mostly towards the end), suspence, creativity and some romance/friendship. Depends how you interrup it.

Death Note are great suspence series with drama, creativity and some romance.

Ga-Rei Zero are really nice action series with drama and romance as well as some creativity.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica looks childish at first but are much deeper and darker series than they look at first glance.

Shiki are great suspence series with drama. Not so strong romance vice though.

Ghost Hunt are also good suspence/drama series. Some romance implications but nothing major.

They are not as close to Phantom as Rainbow, at least in my opinion. But still can give similar vibe so I think you should try them.

My personal favorite series are:
Phantom
Ghost Hunt
Shiki
Ga-Rei Zero
Magical Madoka

I also like Mai HiME series which have drama and suspence in second half, first is mostly comedy. So those are not exactly what you want. But if you will like Madoka, then Mai HiME could be a nice choice to try.

Rainbow is really close to my top list
Out of all those, which would have a character as compelling as ein?
I don't really enjoy too many action scenes, or anime in the same genre as bleach and naruto btw.
syke123 is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 16:33   Link #6
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by syke123 View Post
Out of all those, which would have a character as compelling as ein?
I don't really enjoy too many action scenes, or anime in the same genre as bleach and naruto btw.
Well... if you want a character very similar to Ein, try "Noir". In fact, Kirika is _clearly_ modelled after Ein, in looks, demeanor and skill. The story setting is also very similar (Professional assassins trying to survive)

Overall, I support the suggestion of Ga Rei Zero, and Madoka should also not be missed. Both shows have strong, compelling female leads (Yomi in GRZ and Homura in Madoka) that you should like, along with powerful, dramatic storylines.
Mentar is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 17:34   Link #7
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
None of those I mentioned are Naruto/Bleach style.
Did not watch Noir but it was done by same creators as Phantom so it should be a good try if it is suggested.

Someone similar to Ein? Like barely showing any emotions? Homura from Madoka would do then. Out of everything I mentioned, she comes the closest to Ein.

Otherwise all the shows listed are nothing like Bleach and Naruto. The only that can comes close to them would be Chrno Crusade and even then it is very different.

If I had to strongly suggest something from my list except Rainbow, that would be Ga-Rei Zero. It has some comedy but once the story starts to progress it takes really dark colours and eventually gives a similar feeling to Phantom. Though Yomi and Kagura are nothing like Ein. However, Yomi is one if the most loved characters I know. I haven't really met anyone who would dislike her. So I think you really should give it a try. She actually is the main reason why series were succesful and people read manga.

Same as with Madoka, Homura should be a likebla character for you especially when her character will get explored more.

If you are mostly looking for strong females then Chrno Crusade should work the best out of the rest.

Ghost Hunt is very strong with suspennce and mystery elements and as title suggests it is about ghost hunting. The main male lead looks cold but actually has kind heart. The main heroine is... how do you say... easy going? But she is likeble.

Shiki series are also good with suspence, not so great with mystery since you know the main problem from the begining but it still keeps you interested and keeps you wonderimg about things.

You must have heard about Death Note, it ia great suspence/mystery series. Though the main heroine is annoying =/
But main males always keep your interest.

In Bungaku Shoujo case... well it might be not exactly what you want. Main heroine is very happy and another is all emo... main male is not very promising though movie is still pretty good but I guess you could leave it as an extra. Just something to watch when you will be bored.

Hope this descriptions will give you better idea baout the shows.


Oh, you might want to try Claymore. Has a lot of strong females and Clare is a bit similar to Ein. Series are action packed but not Naruto style. Has drama and suspence though no real romance, friendship is the main theme. Series barely have any humour just like Phantom.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-09-26, 22:48   Link #8
syke123
.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lost in a delusional world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
None of those I mentioned are Naruto/Bleach style.
Did not watch Noir but it was done by same creators as Phantom so it should be a good try if it is suggested.

Someone similar to Ein? Like barely showing any emotions? Homura from Madoka would do then. Out of everything I mentioned, she comes the closest to Ein.

Otherwise all the shows listed are nothing like Bleach and Naruto. The only that can comes close to them would be Chrno Crusade and even then it is very different.

If I had to strongly suggest something from my list except Rainbow, that would be Ga-Rei Zero. It has some comedy but once the story starts to progress it takes really dark colours and eventually gives a similar feeling to Phantom. Though Yomi and Kagura are nothing like Ein. However, Yomi is one if the most loved characters I know. I haven't really met anyone who would dislike her. So I think you really should give it a try. She actually is the main reason why series were succesful and people read manga.

Same as with Madoka, Homura should be a likebla character for you especially when her character will get explored more.

If you are mostly looking for strong females then Chrno Crusade should work the best out of the rest.

Ghost Hunt is very strong with suspennce and mystery elements and as title suggests it is about ghost hunting. The main male lead looks cold but actually has kind heart. The main heroine is... how do you say... easy going? But she is likeble.

Shiki series are also good with suspence, not so great with mystery since you know the main problem from the begining but it still keeps you interested and keeps you wonderimg about things.

You must have heard about Death Note, it ia great suspence/mystery series. Though the main heroine is annoying =/
But main males always keep your interest.

In Bungaku Shoujo case... well it might be not exactly what you want. Main heroine is very happy and another is all emo... main male is not very promising though movie is still pretty good but I guess you could leave it as an extra. Just something to watch when you will be bored.

Hope this descriptions will give you better idea baout the shows.


Oh, you might want to try Claymore. Has a lot of strong females and Clare is a bit similar to Ein. Series are action packed but not Naruto style. Has drama and suspence though no real romance, friendship is the main theme. Series barely have any humour just like Phantom.
Honestly, as long as there's a strong female and male lead, and something going on between them, I'll watch it. And by the genre thing, I meant I don't like how those type of anime manage to create fight scenes when you'd least expect it. I get bored after another fight scene breaks out, when the last ranged half the episode.

The only exception to such a category would be Claymore if it weren't for those unexpected twists, I would've dropped it, but it was pretty good, also had some romance in it.

I'll try rainbow though for sure, after I'm done downloading season 2 of shana .
syke123 is offline  
Old 2011-09-27, 08:22   Link #9
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
All those are safe then, fights don't last that long there

Madoka doesn't really have a main male character, all main characters are girls... but I still think that you should try it.

Shiki has bunch of characters and series aren't really focused just on one person, but on many at once.
__________________
kitten320 is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 13:14   Link #10
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Try, City Hunter an 80s' classic about an perverted playboy "sweeper" Ryo who takes the jobs dealing with underground world. The main female lead is his partner and primary love interest, it's a series that was immensely popular back when I was a kid.

The mangaka also has an on-going series that turned anime few years ago called Angel Heart. It is basically a paralleled universe setting to City Hunter. The main female lead of City Hunter Kaoru is died in the version and her heart was illegally transplant into an young assassin Xiang-Ying (code name: Glass Heart). Ryo later took Xiang under his wing but for some reason that transplant has side effect that causes Xian-Ying to sporadic memories of Kaoru which cause some interesting situation.
__________________
Undertaker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.