AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-27, 00:12   Link #41
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
In other news, 2ch has ranked Kishimoto as one of the best mangaka artists currently working. Judging based solely on artistic merit (considering issues of "design ability, perspective correctness, consistency, anatomical correctness, shading, etc), Kishimoto joins the ranks of such mangaka as Sadamoto Yoshiyuki (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Yasuhiko Yoshikazu (Mobile Suit Gundam), Hanaharu Naruko (Kamichu!), Igarashi Daisuke (Children of the Sea), and Inoue Takehiko (Vagabond) amongst the "S-Rank" mangaka. Comparatively, Obata was considered A-Rank, Oda was B-Rank, and Kubo was D-Rank.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 00:20   Link #42
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Why hello thar Kubo.
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 00:28   Link #43
Lendial
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
if bleach has one thing going for it, its the art. but aparently not. oh well
__________________
Lendial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 05:12   Link #44
neshru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
In other news, 2ch has ranked Kishimoto as one of the best mangaka artists currently working. Judging based solely on artistic merit (considering issues of "design ability, perspective correctness, consistency, anatomical correctness, shading, etc), Kishimoto joins the ranks of such mangaka as Sadamoto Yoshiyuki (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Yasuhiko Yoshikazu (Mobile Suit Gundam), Hanaharu Naruko (Kamichu!), Igarashi Daisuke (Children of the Sea), and Inoue Takehiko (Vagabond) amongst the "S-Rank" mangaka.
That's interesting, considering there are a few people that work on the Naruto anime that are better than Kishimoto at drawing his own characters.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 09:09   Link #45
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendial View Post
if bleach has one thing going for it, its the art. but aparently not. oh well
Kubo has great design ability (especially for clothing), but he has no sense of movement and little to no ability to adequately draw backgrounds or other non-character art. Still, I agree the 2ch crowd ranked him lowering than I would (they also ranked Oda higher than he should be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
That's interesting, considering there are a few people that work on the Naruto anime that are better than Kishimoto at drawing his own characters.
Page for page and panel for panel, I think Naruto is one of the best visual manga in the market. It is not the most stylish, nor is the best drawn, but the emphasis on perspective, angle, etc has always given Kishimoto a very cinematic quality that greatly elevates his art. Sadly, none of this matters if the story isn't that good...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 21:25   Link #46
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Kubo has great design ability (especially for clothing), but he has no sense of movement and little to no ability to adequately draw backgrounds or other non-character art. Still, I agree the 2ch crowd ranked him lowering than I would (they also ranked Oda higher than he should be).
No ability to draw backgrounds? Really? I've always thought Naruto has had some pretty inspired settings, especially the steampunk design of the Rain village. There's also lots of detail in rubble and collateral damage caused in battles. I guess the backgrounds do get really sparse when they're set in an area like a desert or the characters fighting on water.
__________________



Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 21:30   Link #47
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^I said Kubo sucked at backgrounds not Kishimoto (who has downright great backgrounds designs and perspectives).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 00:03   Link #48
Lendial
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
kubo likes to use a lot of empty space, perhaps wastefully (aizens gigantic index finger taking half a page for example). however, in terms of pretty looking characters i would have to say he trumphs even kishimoto. take for example the water gun kage who honestly cartoony vs what bleach has for villains at the moment.
__________________
Lendial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 07:44   Link #49
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
The Chapter 557 Discussion Thread has been opened. Please move all relevant discussions to the new thread.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.