AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-27, 17:19   Link #61
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I may be wrong, but I get the sense that Himari herself appreciates Shouma very much for who he is. I think she loves him more than his brother, and may even love him more than a sister should.
Sho isn't the one getting a handknit muffler though

And call me nuts but I am quite certain that the crystal princess thing is Himari herself, or rather, Himari is the crystal princess (yes, there is a difference - God is truth vs Truth is God kind of difference) and if the survival strategy scenes are anything to go by, Kanba's clearly favored over Sho. Not that it matters tbh, they all seem to be fond of each other.

And I don't believe in putting artificial limits regarding love for any reason. I don't condone incest but I am not gonna say a sister is wrong for falling in love with her brother. Where they can go wrong is how they resolve the relationship.

This is supposed to be about Ringo though >_> but since Himari's somehow managed to sneak in anyway - the best possible pairing, as far as I am concerned, would be RingoxHimari if the triplet theory were true. That'd be awesome beyond belief
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2011-09-27, 20:03   Link #62
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Sho isn't the one getting a handknit muffler though

And call me nuts but I am quite certain that the crystal princess thing is Himari herself, or rather, Himari is the crystal princess (yes, there is a difference - God is truth vs Truth is God kind of difference) and if the survival strategy scenes are anything to go by, Kanba's clearly favored over Sho. Not that it matters tbh, they all seem to be fond of each other.

And I don't believe in putting artificial limits regarding love for any reason. I don't condone incest but I am not gonna say a sister is wrong for falling in love with her brother. Where they can go wrong is how they resolve the relationship.

This is supposed to be about Ringo though >_> but since Himari's somehow managed to sneak in anyway - the best possible pairing, as far as I am concerned, would be RingoxHimari if the triplet theory were true. That'd be awesome beyond belief
Fate destined yuri incest lovers? You totally have my support there

Our ship take serious damage after ep 11 through
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 01:47   Link #63
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Sho isn't the one getting a handknit muffler though
We don't know if that's for Kanba either though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
And call me nuts but I am quite certain that the crystal princess thing is Himari herself, or rather, Himari is the crystal princess (yes, there is a difference - God is truth vs Truth is God kind of difference) and if the survival strategy scenes are anything to go by, Kanba's clearly favored over Sho.
You're assuming whatever she did to Kanba is a good thing, but it's most likely the opposite actually!!!!
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-09-28 at 02:01.
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 08:41   Link #64
YayPepsi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
We don't know if that's for Kanba either though.



You're assuming whatever she did to Kanba is a good thing, but it's most likely the opposite actually!!!!
Well, besides what she did to Kanba in the first episode, Sho is always the one to get the trapdoor. Kanba has always made it to the end of the session. (I wonder if she's pulling that thing out of his chest after every survival strategy?)

Also, Sho (and Ringo) seem to get the brunt of her insults. So I think possessed Himari does favor Kanba - though it's probably just because Kanba doesn't really talk back to her.
__________________
YayPepsi is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 09:01   Link #65
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
Well, besides what she did to Kanba in the first episode, Sho is always the one to get the trapdoor. Kanba has always made it to the end of the session. (I wonder if she's pulling that thing out of his chest after every survival strategy?). Also, Sho (and Ringo) seem to get the brunt of her insults. So I think possessed Himari does favor Kanba - though it's probably just because Kanba doesn't really talk back to her.
Again, you're assuming whatever she's doing to Kanba is a good thing, and it most likely isn't. The novel even makes it clear she's taking something out of his body and sending it somewhere. If we add Himari's line from CM 6 then it's quite possible whatever the princess is doing to Kanba is actually killing him.

Personally, I wouldn't call that favoring him, but to each their own I guess.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 09:25   Link #66
YayPepsi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I'm not assuming anything about what she's doing to him - all I'm saying is that her attitude towards him isn't as harsh as it is to Sho.
__________________
YayPepsi is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 09:33   Link #67
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
I'm not assuming anything about what she's doing to him - all I'm saying is that her attitude towards him isn't as harsh as it is to Sho.
I don't see much difference in her attitude really. Shouma gets the trapdoo because she has selected Kanba for whatever she's doing. Other than that, she seems equally harsh with both of them IMO.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-09-28, 09:43   Link #68
YayPepsi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I'll respond in the Kanba thread because this is getting off topic. XD
__________________
YayPepsi is offline  
Old 2011-10-15, 09:48   Link #69
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
As I wrote on the Episode 14 thread, Ringo is definitely now my favorite character in this series.

That being said, I see a weakness that she has that is kind of surprising in a way.

Ringo is extremely trusting of other people, to a fault.


Back in Episode 10, Ringo and Kanba are both masterfully tricked by Natsume, and Ringo in particular was really caught off-guard by "Nurse" Natsume. Ringo also never really asked herself "Even if I do give up my remaining half of the diary, can I trust them to release Sho?"


Now, In Episode 14, she's taken for a ride, literally and figuratively, by Yuri. Yuri has no particular reason to be friendly/nice to Ringo. Heck, if anything, one would think that Yuri would feel some resentment for the girl that tried to steal her husband away. While I can understand Ringo agreeing to "hop in" to Yuri's car, it's surprising that at no point did Ringo ask Yuri "Why are you being so nice to me?"

Yuri treated Ringo to a night of pleasures - Bathing in a hot springs, staying at a really nice place, playing table tennis together, wining and dining together... and I guess Ringo just thought that Yuri was doing all of this purely out of the kindness of her heart, without any ulterior motive at all.

Given some of the methods Ringo employed in trying to win over Tabuki, you'd think she'd be on the lookout for people trying to victimize her in a similar fashion.


Now, not saying that this makes me like Ringo less. If anything, I find it to be an interesting and ironic character weakness.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2011-10-15, 15:47   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I've certainly come around to feeling sympathetic towards Ringo, although I do find her transformation from Yuno Gasai-lite to the gentle and vulnerable waif she is now rather too rapid and complete to be strictly believable under the circumstances. But really, this episode boils down to her receiving a taste of her own medicine, and I think that was how it was intended. She used others to her own ends, caused them to be hurt, and intended to take advantage of someone sexually while they were drugged. What goes around, comes around.

That said, Ringo finally stopped at the very brink and realized what she was doing to Tabuki was wrong. The theme of punishment is a strong one with this series, and while poetic justice says that Ringo has suffered enough and Yuri should be stopped before she can do whatever it is she plans to do, part of the theme here is that the punishment isn't always commensurate with the crime. But then, Ikuhara has already ended two episodes with troll deaths, so a troll rape is hardly a stretch.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2011-10-15, 16:40   Link #71
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yuri treated Ringo to a night of pleasures - Bathing in a hot springs, staying at a really nice place, playing table tennis together, wining and dining together... and I guess Ringo just thought that Yuri was doing all of this purely out of the kindness of her heart, without any ulterior motive at all.

Given some of the methods Ringo employed in trying to win over Tabuki, you'd think she'd be on the lookout for people trying to victimize her in a similar fashion.

She is the wife of a family friend, I don't know if someone like that offered to take me to a hot spring I also don't think I would be thinking "oh no she might rape me" or even that she would have any ulterior motives. Maybe I am too naive too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But then, Ikuhara has already ended two episodes with troll deaths, so a troll rape is hardly a stretch.

Yeah it is obvious this scene is meant to bring us back to what Ringo did to Tabuki & in that sense it is interesting. But I am still hoping it is a troll!rape (as cheap as that may be). The whole scene made me really uncomfortable.

I guess I just don't like rape being used as a plot twist. At least with the Tabuki/Ringo thing we knew Ringo was stopped that same episode.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-15, 21:42   Link #72
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've certainly come around to feeling sympathetic towards Ringo, although I do find her transformation from Yuno Gasai-lite to the gentle and vulnerable waif she is now rather too rapid and complete to be strictly believable under the circumstances.
I actually thought that part of Ringo's nice act towards Shouma was acting, she's seen acting more like her normal self afterwords (right before Yuri shows up). What she feels for Shouma now certainly isn't an act but I suspect that she is a bit crazy to start with and when she's (hopefully!) figured out who she wants to be she'll be eccentric but not full on mental like before.
wandering-dreamer is offline  
Old 2011-10-15, 22:09   Link #73
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I actually thought that part of Ringo's nice act towards Shouma was acting, she's seen acting more like her normal self afterwords (right before Yuri shows up). What she feels for Shouma now certainly isn't an act but I suspect that she is a bit crazy to start with
I disagree. She was indeed acting a bit, but that was because she was following the love advice for the teen magazine she was reading. That kind of "acting" is normal behavior for any high-school girl like her, not being crazy....

Unless you wanted to imply that every teen-aged girl in the world is crazy, that is...
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-15, 22:22   Link #74
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've certainly come around to feeling sympathetic towards Ringo, although I do find her transformation from Yuno Gasai-lite to the gentle and vulnerable waif she is now rather too rapid and complete to be strictly believable under the circumstances. But really, this episode boils down to her receiving a taste of her own medicine, and I think that was how it was intended. She used others to her own ends, caused them to be hurt, and intended to take advantage of someone sexually while they were drugged. What goes around, comes around.
I think that Ringo is tsundere towards Sho. What we saw in Episode 14 is simply the "deredere" side of that.

Ringo's transition from yandere (for Tabuki) to tsundere (for Sho) is so seamless that it can be hard to notice that Ringo has changed. So I can understand where you find her change rapid, in part because it's not being helped along by inner monologues, whereas inner monologues where initially used to show just how yandere and delusional Ringo once was.

Ringo's whole problem until she finally gave up on Tabuki was simply that she was deeply delusional. She sincerely thought her and Tabuki were absolutely meant to be together, and went right to the wall to make that happen.

The irony is Ringo is now the target of someone with a completely identical sort of conviction - Yuri sincerely believes that her and Momoka are soul mates, and that Ringo will become Momoka, and hence Yuri is attempting to force herself sexually on Ringo. What makes the irony even richer is that in both cases it all revolves around the notion of Ringo being and/or becoming Momoka.


But in any event, with Ringo's delusions shattered, she's now become a relatively standard anime girl, just with some tsundere tendencies (and perhaps a touch of genki girl).
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2011-10-15, 22:54   Link #75
wandering-dreamer
reads too much
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: you know that's a great question.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I disagree. She was indeed acting a bit, but that was because she was following the love advice for the teen magazine she was reading. That kind of "acting" is normal behavior for any high-school girl like her, not being crazy....
That's what I was trying to say, she WAS acting a bit sweeter than normal because of the magazine's advice and you see her afterwords getting mad at the magazine. I was trying to say that she has changed some but her personality hasn't done a complete 180.
wandering-dreamer is offline  
Old 2011-10-16, 08:20   Link #76
gsilver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I kind of feel uncomfortable saying this, but this episode (14), about halfway through, I started to get the impression that they were raising the Death Flag for Ringo, especially after 1) Her realization that she needed to be her own person, 2) The rejection scene (undermining #1 to some extent) then 3) The things Yuri was saying about Momoka.

Since this is Penguindrum, and things aren't always as they appear, I'm wondering if whatever Yuri does to Ringo literally does make her dependent on Yuri to continue to live... and fails. All this goes back to the intro where we see her burst into flames.
__________________
‿‿
gsilver is offline  
Old 2011-10-16, 14:18   Link #77
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Well there's a lot of emphasis on Ringo becoming Momoka. Perhaps the flames signify the destruction and rebirth of Ringo, sort of like a phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple R
What makes the irony even richer is that in both cases it all revolves around the notion of Ringo being and/or becoming Momoka.
This also brings up an interesting question regarding the plot. If the hat is implied to be Momoka, and Himari is using it, and the Diary has now been used twice as reference of Ringo becoming Momoka, are we looking at some kind of Harry Potter horcrux scenario?
__________________
Solace is offline  
Old 2011-10-16, 15:56   Link #78
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Oh Solace I really like that.

And personally I just can't see Ringo having an unhappy ending. Or maybe I am just holding onto that because I would be disappointed if she did. I'm sincerely rooting for her.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 06:03   Link #79
zeando
maybenotimome
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
with the new opening i'm starting to think in the end ringo will learn how to use the diary power, like before momoka did
and will use it to change the events about the subway gas attack in 1995, maybe not all, but only the part where momoka died or remove the relation with shouma's parents :/
zeando is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 06:10   Link #80
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After watching Episode 15, I can't shake this feeling that Ringo will end up sacrificing herself to revive Momoka. Either that, or the two will truly fuse.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.