AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-09-28, 08:40   Link #21
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I don't think there will be any need for this. Just the fact the Minus arc comes after the Plus arc should be enough to draw a huge crowd of audience and contribute to increase the ratings.
K. Shiruto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 08:42   Link #22
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
If only things worked out that easily...
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic101701_1.gif
Panel taken from here (NSFW-ish). Translation/type by some /a/non.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 08:45   Link #23
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Yeah.. I mean look @ Sket Dance, episode 25 was just great.. who has watched it... *hears crickets* Even if Kumagawa could increase viewership and BD sales it's all pointless if it never gets to him in the first place.

Edit - Here's Kaiten's post on Mangahelpers about the demographic shift in JUMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiten
Shueisha's 2011 Media Guide is now available. Lot's and lot's of good information about all of their magazine (not just manga) is available there. Demographics, circulation, top selling series, and more is posted. Two things about Weekly Jump stand out to me. The first is that Jump is back to 2.95 million copies per week. Little by little it has been recovering circulation and will sneak back to 3 million copies a week sometime next year. Considering how lousy the market is, that is an extraordinary feet. Even more interesting is that Jump experienced a major demographic shift this year. Their audience has become older. It is hard to predict what this means but it will probably benefit new slice of life, ecchi, and sports series while hurting new action manga. St&rs and Kano's new series could really benefit from having more older teens reading. One Piece and Naruto are very popular with older readers, they should not be effected. I'm not sure about Bleach. Here is the breakdown for 2011:

9: 2.6%
10-12: 12.2%
13-15: 21.3%
16-18: 16.3%
19-24: 23.1%
25-29: 11.3%
30: 13.2%

Here is 2010:

9: 5.1%
10-12: 25.9%
13-15: 37.1%
16-18: 21.4%
19-24: 7%
25: 3.5%

That is a stunning, fundamental shift in audience composition. In 2010 the vast majority of readers were 18 or younger. Now 19-30 accounts for just under 50% of readers. When 16-18 year old readers (a demographic that lost readers) is added that means over 60% of readers are 16 years old or older. That is not even the same audience as last year, when 67% of Jump readers were 15 or younger and almost 89% were 18 or younger.
19+ accounted for 10.5% in 2010, in 2011 it is now 47.6% which is a massive jump. Like I said I think this shift has really helped the Medaka Box manga cement a spot in the JUMP lineup (in addition to a breakout star like Kumagawa), I always thought it would've been a better fit for something like the competing Magazine which had an older audience, Jump isn;'t quite the same as that but a big improvement.

Magazine demographics from 2009

Age 12~14: 4.0%
Age 15~19: 14.3%
Age 20~24: 18.0%
Age 25~29: 21.7%
Age 30~34: 16.4%
Age 35 and above: 25.6%

Some notable Magazine titles being Ippo, Love Hina, GTO, School Rumble, Fairy Tail, Negima, Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei and Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-09-28 at 08:56.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 09:48   Link #24
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
I don't really think Medaka Box as an anime is anything that is sellable, honestly. With normal direction with normal animation, it can't really sell.

Also, it is manga but still dialog heavy, just like any other NisiOisiN things. I haven't seen any studio other than Whitefox which successfully delivered entire dialog from the light novel without using any 'cheater' directions.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 10:08   Link #25
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I don't really think Medaka Box as an anime is anything that is sellable, honestly. With normal direction with normal animation, it can't really sell.

Also, it is manga but still dialog heavy, just like any other NisiOisiN things. I haven't seen any studio other than Whitefox which successfully delivered entire dialog from the light novel without using any 'cheater' directions.
I find myself thinking the opposite, I get the feeling that this would actually work pretty well as a anime and be able to sell.

The manga has had it's ups and downs throughout it's all whole run atm, more so than any other series I've read/watched but it's been constantly entertaining fun throughout and thats good enough for me.

Sure not for everyone but I think it appeals to enough people.

I certainly look forward to seeing what they will make of this, be it trash or something great
__________________
Bonta Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 10:48   Link #26
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well considering Medaka Box appeals to an older crowd than say Naruto for instance than yes it is a good thing. I would say that + Kumagawa is the reason why it's so entrenched in Jump after that rocky first year. I'm kinda half assed looking for the new age group stats and if I find them I'll edit them into this post.
I'd say the jokes also got even more meta since then. After Kumagawa and Ajimu appeared the number of stabs Nisio took at Shounen Jump skyrocketed.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 11:12   Link #27
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In your brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I find myself thinking the opposite, I get the feeling that this would actually work pretty well as a anime and be able to sell.

The manga has had it's ups and downs throughout it's all whole run atm, more so than any other series I've read/watched but it's been constantly entertaining fun throughout and thats good enough for me.

Sure not for everyone but I think it appeals to enough people.

I certainly look forward to seeing what they will make of this, be it trash or something great
But the problem is that the first bit of Medaka Box isn't really its strongest point. The reason Medaka got its own identity was due to its transformation into psychopath battle manga (NisiOisiN already did this kind of treatment in Zaregoto series). The strong series need strong start with strong anticipation. Even though middle bit about Kumagawa is indeed amazing, the lackluster first bit is kinda hard to erase.
__________________
If anyone attacks Shaft
I will be there to defend it to death.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:07   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Medaka Box is the best manga. I have no idea how argument can ever happen.

(*go to medaka box manga thread)
Terrible Mary Sue styled lead character, mediocre male lead character, ridiculous premise, lame scenarios, over the top writing style, at least from what I managed to get through that pretty much describes Medaka Box in a nutshell. I'm pretty sure I can make plenty of arguments about how it's not only not the best manga, but a fairly poor one at that.

I still to this day do not understand the love-in for NisiOisin, but that's probably because he's most definitely not for everyone. Personally I can't stand him, but maybe a good anime adaptation can help soften my view of him like Katanagatari has been doing so far.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:36   Link #29
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
But people still believe this shit that Medaka Box went from slice of life with comedy to supernatural/battle series? All the opposite, it was a slice of life/comedy/supernatural/battle series from the very beggining. The fact the serious business started when the manga was reaching its 20th chapter means nothing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Terrible Mary Sue styled lead character, mediocre male lead character, ridiculous premise, lame scenarios, over the top writing style, at least from what I managed to get through that pretty much describes Medaka Box in a nutshell. I'm pretty sure I can make plenty of arguments about how it's not only not the best manga, but a fairly poor one at that.

I still to this day do not understand the love-in for NisiOisin, but that's probably because he's most definitely not for everyone. Personally I can't stand him, but maybe a good anime adaptation can help soften my view of him like Katanagatari has been doing so far.
What I take from this:

You hate Mary Sue styled lead characters, yet don't bother to find nor to understand the real reason why the female lead is portrayed this way, and you also doesn't seem to like the fact the male lead is the most ordinary of the entire cast, as well as you seem to hate the fact Medaka Box is waaaaaaay different from your typical shounen series with the same old stupid premises that turned the likes of Naruto or Bleach among others into garbage.

Conclusion, you don't look you read the series up to date. It's not chance Medaka Box has taken hold in the rankings, and this is simply because the writing is far to good for certain individuals to understand its real value (namely kids).

Don't bother replying, if you didn't read the series up to date all your arguments are pointless.

Last edited by K. Shiruto; 2011-09-28 at 13:49.
K. Shiruto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:46   Link #30
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Terrible Mary Sue styled lead character, mediocre male lead character, ridiculous premise, lame scenarios, over the top writing style, at least from what I managed to get through that pretty much describes Medaka Box in a nutshell. I'm pretty sure I can make plenty of arguments about how it's not only not the best manga, but a fairly poor one at that.
I haven't even read much of Medaka Box; I stopped reading it early on, before it apparently became a battle manga, but even then I can tell your complaints are too general to carry any real weight.

Hell, why are you even in this thread? Just to complain?
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:48   Link #31
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hell, why are you even in this thread? Just to complain?
Either this or the guy is just trolling.
K. Shiruto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:54   Link #32
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
tl:dr: It gets better. Way better. Too much improvement for its own good: Most people will drop it before they realize it got better. Think Negima, TWGOK, etc.

Get real people. It's Kaioshin. If you use rational arguments he will reply in kind.
Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:54   Link #33
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
But people still believe this shit that Medaka Box went from slice of life with comedy to supernatural/battle series? All the opposite, it was a slice of life/comedy/supernatural/battle series from the very beggining. The fact the serious business started when the manga was reaching its 20th chapter means nothing.




What I take from this:

You hate Mary Sue styled lead characters, yet don't bother to find the real reason why the female lead is portraied this way, and you also doesn't seem to like the fact the male is the most ordinary of the entire cast, as well as you seem to hate the fact Medaka Box is waaaaaaay different from your typical shounen series with the same old stupid premises that turned the likes of Naruto or Bleach among others into garbage.

Conclusion, you don't look you read the series up to date. It's not chance Medaka Box has taken hold in the rankings, and this is simply because the writing is far to good for certain individuals (namely kids).

Don't bother replying, if you didn't read the series up to date all your arguments are pointless.
Ah yes the classic argument of it's just too good for mere mortals to understand. That's a great one, I love it. Such a winning premise in that it equates to plugging ones fingers in their ears and proclaiming that they are not listening.

Lets look at it this way, if one reads the first volume and it completely rubs them the wrong way, why would anyone expect them to stick around for the second? Could it be possible that I *gasp* just don't find NisiOisin a good writer almost directly as a result of this manga and wanted to make a point that such a thing was indeed possible to another poster? Nope, must be trolling cause I don't hold the majority opinion on the matter.

Anyway I knew this thread would get hostile the second I stated my opinion on the Medaka Box matter as I made note of who was present so far, but if people thought that would stop me from having it they certainly missed the mark on that one. I actually don't have much else to add so I'll do as people wish and get out. Nothing whatsoever to be gained by sticking around.

edit: Proto is basically saying that if you reply respectfully and share reasonings that I will do the same in kind, but that if you react with pure hostility I will have little to say. I'd expect nothing less from any other poster.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:56   Link #34
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Quote:
Anyway I knew this thread would get hostile the second I stated my opinion on the Medaka Box matter as I made note of who was present so far, but if people thought that would stop me from having it they certainly missed the mark on that one. I actually don't have much else to add so I'll do as people wish and get out. Nothing whatsoever to be gained by sticking around.


On the other hand it's kind of the author's fault for not getting his act together from the start as you say. Aw well.
Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 13:56   Link #35
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
tl:dr: It gets better. Way better. Too much improvement for its own good: Most people will drop it before they realize it got better. Think Negima, TWGOK, etc.

Get real people. It's Kaioshin. If you use rational arguments he will reply in kind.
You seem to have known him for long. Explain.

Btw, I agree, Negima, TWGOK have become better, with the pass of the time.
K. Shiruto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 14:01   Link #36
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Either this or the guy is just trolling.
He posted an inital impression which was not positive. Now clearly most people are gonna pack their bags to leave if it stays like that, but in general it's up to a medium to prove itself to a reader/viewer first. Now I guess it would be unfair to generalize the whole thing but still... fair enough if someone would come over and explain how it could get better.

I took a look at myself and well, Medaka seems to be a hillarious parody character and has pretty awesome boobs, and seems to be surrounded by a bunch of sorry sods that love her for some reason. I guess this kind of character could get negative vibes, since there's quite a few characters that have them pushed on as perfect and stuff just because the story says so.

Then again, I'm willing to give it a chance. Cool, Arrogant bitches do have a place in my heart somewhere but perhaps I should ask again; is there some more down to earth part of her character that comes across?
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 14:03   Link #37
Iron21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Pfft, it will be canceled around episode 6 due to low viewer rankings.

Spoiler for ..:
__________________

Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 14:07   Link #38
K. Shiruto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Then again, I'm willing to give it a chance. Cool, Arrogant bitches do have a place in my heart somewhere but perhaps I should ask again; is there some more down to earth part of her character that comes across?
Yep. Lots, lots of entertaining things, from character development to hilarious moments to even awesome plot twists to loli badass moms to the best antagonist in the world. Oh, and as one of the strong points of the series, the many stabs at Shounen Jump.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron21 View Post
Pfft, it will be canceled around episode 6 due to low viewer rankings.

Spoiler for ..:
Hahahahaha, I love you, Iron.
K. Shiruto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 14:11   Link #39
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post


On the other hand it's kind of the author's fault for not getting his act together from the start as you say. Aw well.
That's better, thanks for getting this thread off that unpleasant track, kind of makes me want to stick around a little bit longer...or at least till the end of this post for now.

Yes, if a lot of people quit after the first volume (as another person I know did as I tried to show it to him to see where he stood) then the responsibility falls with the author. What people talk about wanting me to do is what I call requiring an act of faith. The assumption that something will improve after a rough launch based on nothing but pure faith in the author, the potential of the material, word of mouth, subjective opinion etc. It's a belief system that runs hand in hand with the idea of the "payoff", something I don't subscribe to. That something being that if you suffer through what you find mediocrity eventually there will be some sort of reward in terms of enjoyment as a series hits it's stride....or not. I actually know all about the future of the series believe it or not (it still doesn't sound all that impressive, but I could always be wrong), but to discuss it would be tantamount to spoilers and manga spoilers are not always welcome in anime adaptation threads.

The other problem is simply that I don't have that sort of faith in NisiOisin to begin with because I've been here before with Bakemonogatari which I also couldn't get beyond the first arc of. I respect that these are very popular franchises that this guy has built and that they have a lot of fans, but so far I've yet to find a hook outside of Katanagatari by White Fox, which coincidentally (or perhaps not) did the first Visual Novel adaptation that I hold in especially high regard. That's why if this does turn out to be White Fox again I might actually check out the anime adaptation and see if they can make the first volume or so do anything for me. That however is basically the only avenue for a second chance.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 15:37   Link #40
zeando
maybenotimome
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
when i started reading the manga didn't even knew who nisio is xD so the case ^up isn't my case :3 i simply liked the characters
someone else may not like them, but that's up to each experience and likings

and in complete onesty i didn't even noticed the genreshift when it happened o__o' only after reading forums ecc i noticed all the ruckus about it :|
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.