AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-08-20, 08:21   Link #1
bakertx

cable TV vs Computer football games

How do you stream USA NFL football games on your PC for free? I looked on Google and a lot of it seems really fishy wanting you to do something and i am not up to that at all.
We recently cut off our cable, i hooked my PC to my HDTV in the living room and got Netflix plus i use to watch TV shows but i never thought about watching football.
If anyone can drop some knowledge here i would greatly appreciate it. Can i simply go to the TV stations website and watch it that way live or no?
bakertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 08:26   Link #2
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Probably better to put this in the Tech section.

ESPN probably has some kind of streaming website if you look.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 14:21   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you're in the US, you can subscribe to the NFL's Game Rewind Service. Right now it's priced at $40 for the entire season and streams all "on-demand" games however that's defined. I can't tell if that's the same suite of games as you'd get by subscribing to DirecTV. DirecTV currently offers NFL Sunday Ticket for free if you think you might want to return to pay television.

In general these packages include all out-of-market games.

Other than those options, you're limited to the games you can watch over-the-air.

There are sites overseas that illegally stream live action American sports. They are a primary target of the COICA bill.
Old 2011-08-20, 17:11   Link #4
Random32
Also a Lolicon

A lot of the "illegal" streaming websites operate perfectly legally in their home countries, though the US thinks they can go in and mess with them anyways. Calling them illegal streaming sites is just giving in to the MAFIAA's propaganda. Unauthorized is a far better word.

That said, paying the nice people that provide your content when they offer reasonable ways to do so is a great thing.

The NFL Game Rewind seems to be the better value, the entire season is $50 which is less than what DirecTV charges for its Sunday Ticket monthly, though Game Rewind seems to have less features.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 06:39   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
A lot of the "illegal" streaming websites operate perfectly legally in their home countries, though the US thinks they can go in and mess with them anyways. Calling them illegal streaming sites is just giving in to the MAFIAA's propaganda. Unauthorized is a far better word.
One well-known site is in Spain, which is clearly a signatory to the Berne Convention. Signatories agree to honor the copyright laws of the country in which the work was produced. For NFL games, that's obviously the United States, where retransmissions of copyrighted material without a license is, in fact, "illegal," not just "unauthorized." (For a recent decision upholding the prohibition of Internet retransmission of sporting events within the US itself, see this.)
Old 2011-08-21, 08:19   Link #6
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Spain's courts declared it legal. Also, it isn't even illegal in the US, that is why the MAFIAA wants COICA/PROTECT IP/ETC BULLSHIT passed.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 14:34   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We managed to get some World Cup games (like the recent US vs Japan) thanks to some former East Bloc streaming website (we use a "sacrificial computer" that is isolated from the home network that I can wipe if it catches anything).

What pisses me off is the number of streaming sports sites that insist you belong to Big Cable ISP Whatever to get their service. I object on principle to companies that want to force me to buy their delivery pipes to get some content they've gotten exclusives on ... especially since they don't even offer service in my area.

I'd be happy to subscribe to a streaming service for soccer games... but they apparently don't even want me around at all if I'm not moving the house near one of their "pipes".
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 04:50   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One well-known site is in Spain, which is clearly a signatory to the Berne Convention. Signatories agree to honor the copyright laws of the country in which the work was produced. For NFL games, that's obviously the United States, where retransmissions of copyrighted material without a license is, in fact, "illegal," not just "unauthorized." (For a recent decision upholding the prohibition of Internet retransmission of sporting events within the US itself, see this.)
a little known article of the berne convention states that anyone using the berne convention as an argument in an internet forum discussion as to why <something> outside of their own borders is (or is not) illegal shall be banned from the internet forever

I have said it a hundred times, but like a broken record I will say it again:
The Berne Convention is not a law; it is a multilateral agreement. Signatories to the convention agree to implement certain (not too accurately specified) provisions in their local laws. How it is implemented is entirely up to each country, and there is quite a lot of wriggle room in large parts of the agreement. There is also no such thing as a Convention Police who goes around to check up on the implementations in each country (my favorite example regarding this is the UK, who signed the convention in 1887, implemented parts of it and then spent the next hundred years dicking around, until the rest was finally implemented with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988).

Under no circumstances does the Berne Convention magically make one country's laws apply in another country.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:11   Link #9
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Bump because the European Court of Justice says (the supreme court for European Union law) that live sports (such as football matches) is not protected by copyright in the EU, since:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ judges
The judges said the Premier League could not claim copyright over Premier League matches as they could not considered to be an author's own "intellectual creation" and, therefore, to be "works" for the purposes of EU copyright law.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote