AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-04, 09:07   Link #241
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
I've already ctrl+f page 11 and 12. Cannot found Fractale sales beside some talk about 1 frt = 883. So... any new info about total sales of each BD volume?
The cumulative update for 2011 is located here and suffice it to say that the remaining volumes performed even worse than the first.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 09:24   Link #242
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Guess we know what happened to Yamakan.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 00:22   Link #243
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
I can't believe it.
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee did very bad.

:'(

Madoka Magica drained the competition totally.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 10:00   Link #244
kimpleng
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The cumulative update for 2011 is located here and suffice it to say that the remaining volumes performed even worse than the first.
Thank you.
Usually I just browse the last 2~3 pages.
----
Oww Hourou Musuko.
Though I'm still prefer manga version.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 12:33   Link #245
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I can't believe it.
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee did very bad.

:'(

Madoka Magica drained the competition totally.
Only Madoka isn't enough to make Otakus broke. And there's decent amount of anime that getting good numbers in spring season despite Madoka's fortune.

But yeah... this summer gonna kinda slow, only few titles that seems got the goods.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 04:05   Link #246
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
During Spring there some weeks where over 7 shows were selling in excess of 10k... I don't think it really mattered when shows like Croisee, S7, Neet Detective and Blood-C aired, they would've flopped during any season.

Only winner of that lot is Bllood-C since the Japanese government is funding the movie... L O L.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 07:39   Link #247
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
But Croisee deserved it. We need shows like that.
I'm afraid that Satelight would think that making profitable anime is better than making good anime.

And look at A-1. With Uta no Prince-sama and iDOLM@STER, they're sure to rake in money by the truckload.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.


Last edited by Marcus H.; 2011-10-06 at 09:29.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 08:16   Link #248
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Its likely Satelight using Croisee as project to give their new animator experience (or something like that) anyway, its really doesn't strike me as something they hoping that can give them profit.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 08:42   Link #249
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Only Madoka isn't enough to make Otakus broke.
The amount of Madoka merchandise being churned out would never let that happen.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 09:24   Link #250
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a room full of despair
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Its likely Satelight using Croisee as project to give their new animator experience (or something like that) anyway, its really doesn't strike me as something they hoping that can give them profit.
which is sad because croisee was a fantastic show and prob one of my favourites of this year
__________________
HEY GUYS BE NICE AND VISIT MY BLOG WILL YA?
Latest Update:
Spring 2011 Impressions (part1)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 09:25   Link #251
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But Croisee deserved it. We need shows like that.
I'm afraid that Satelight would think that making profitable anime is better than good anime.
Looking @ Satelights record the only thing they have made that would've made a profit is Macross Frontier.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 13:05   Link #252
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Looking @ Satelights record the only thing they have made that would've made a profit is Macross Frontier.
And the team that made that series is no longer at Satelight. Gone and made Infinite Stratos another highly profitable series for 8bit.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 13:14   Link #253
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But Croisee deserved it. We need shows like that.
I'm afraid that Satelight would think that making profitable anime is better than making good anime.
Personally I think we need less series like that. I'm glad it bombed.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 15:24   Link #254
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Personally I think we need less series like that. I'm glad it bombed.
This is a bit of a troll-ish thing to say, to be honest. We need less period dramas with elaborate historical settings and careful attention to production and design? Or you just didn't like the characters or the way the plot unfolded? I think we should avoid reveling in a show's commercial failure in this thread just because it doesn't match our own personal tastes. That itself is the very definition of tasteless.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 18:06   Link #255
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Considering my enjoyment of Ikoku Meiro and 2009's Taisho Yakyuu Musume, I'm definitely up for more of what I refer to as "period moe" shows... but with neither of those breaking 2K blurays I'm not holding my breath.

Edit:
Also, man the summer sales have been harsh. There's quite a few shows I expected to do better than they did.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 19:24   Link #256
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This is a bit of a troll-ish thing to say, to be honest. We need less period dramas with elaborate historical settings and careful attention to production and design? Or you just didn't like the characters or the way the plot unfolded? I think we should avoid reveling in a show's commercial failure in this thread just because it doesn't match our own personal tastes. That itself is the very definition of tasteless.
I'm sorry, but I'm not the type of person to mince words. I think Croisee was a bad show.

I just really don't think it's a good idea to let the producers think that a show that plods along with extremely flat characters in a rather historically twisted setting is something I want to see more of. And no, I don't hate slice of life, there are certainly some I can name that I've enjoyed very much.

And before people misunderstand, it's not the particular genre or idea that pissed me off. A period piece is fine. However I will not agree with the idea that it somehow did a good job at detailing its setting, or even just merely representing it.

The cast certainly didn't help. How many people would have even cared about the show if Yune was a guy? Moe is fine, but it should never be the entire substance of a character, because really moe itself is not substance. I was never moe stricken with Yune form the start, so I found Croisee to be the most boring show I've seen in a long time (That had production values worth caring about at least).

Regardless. I'm glad when titles I don't like bomb. Is it because I wish ill on the people who made them? No. It's because whatever sells gets made more so I really don't want that type of show to sell. If they ever successfully present a period piece to me, I'd gladly accept it. But this time I say, nice try, but no thanks.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 19:28   Link #257
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Regardless. I'm glad when titles I don't like bomb. Is it because I wish ill on the people who made them? No. It's because whatever sells gets made more so I really don't want that type of show to sell. If they ever successfully present a period piece to me, I'd gladly accept it. But this time I say, nice try, but no thanks.
That's nice. That doesn't change the fact that this sort of reveling in failure is tasteless and will only start off-topic arguments that are better handled in other threads. So these sorts of posts will not be permitted in this thread.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 20:15   Link #258
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
I haven't seen the show in question, but I have to say I agree in principle with Reckoner in this case. I recently made a similar comment on another site about Sentai's recent decision to license Akikan and got my share of similar criticism.

The market is a cruel institution. The only method it provides for buyers to communicate their preferences to sellers is not buying a product. It seems that anime fans would prefer a world where every show is a success, but that's neither realistic nor especially helpful when it comes to communication between buyers and sellers. Perhaps this reaction reflects the niche status of anime, and continuing fears among fans that the industry is on its last legs. (I think these fears are vastly overstated.) The fact remains that only if some shows succeed and others fail will producers learn what the audience prefers.

Now there may be a deeper argument here that producers already pander too much to the minority of Japanese viewers who routinely spend $hundreds or $thousands on anime series with large doses of moe~ and ecchi. I'm sympathetic to that argument, but in reality anime studios are in business to make a profit and not in the business of creating "art." Sometimes they find the right mix, and works of artistic value like Mononoke succeed commercially as well. It would be nice if this convergence happened more often, but that's not a realistic expectation.

If you want to see more of the types of shows you find appealing, go buy the DVDs. That's the only way you can tell the producers what you want.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 20:47   Link #259
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I haven't seen the show in question, but I have to say I agree in principle with Reckoner in this case. I recently made a similar comment on another site about Sentai's recent decision to license Akikan and got my share of similar criticism.

The market is a cruel institution. The only method it provides for buyers to communicate their preferences to sellers is not buying a product. It seems that anime fans would prefer a world where every show is a success, but that's neither realistic nor especially helpful when it comes to communication between buyers and sellers. Perhaps this reaction reflects the niche status of anime, and continuing fears among fans that the industry is on its last legs. (I think these fears are vastly overstated.) The fact remains that only if some shows succeed and others fail will producers learn what the audience prefers.
I largely agree with this (my only disagreement being with you on 'continuing fears among fans' as I think they're somewhat justified).

As a matter of general principle, I agree with you and Reck. The market serves to keep creators/producers honest, and focused on satisfying the customer. Sales bombs are just as important a part of that as sales successes are, as it's through comparisons between the two that anime producers can tell what paying customers expect/want and what they're not satisfied by (and ultimately, it's paying customers that keeps the anime industry afloat after all).


That being said, I do see RelentlessFlame's point here.

That was pretty blunt, Reck.

Maybe it would be better to write something like "Hopefully the anime industry will learn from this sales bomb, and make something similar to Croisee but more appealing/satisfying to customers" (which may well involve the sort of changes that would make you yourself like a Croisee-type show).


Quote:
Sometimes they find the right mix, and works of artistic value like Mononoke succeed commercially as well. It would be nice if this convergence happened more often, but that's not a realistic expectation.
I personally think that this convergence is happening more often right now in 2011. Most of the big sellers this year have been high quality shows, imo. And there's only been two or three shows that I'd personally consider high quality that have sold poorly.

More this year than any other I can recall, I find myself agreeing with Japanese otaku purchasing choices.


Edit: On the topic of Croisee itself, I was never fully won over by it, but I never hated the show or anything. I can see why some loved it, so I had no desire for it to bomb.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 21:11   Link #260
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not the type of person to mince words. I think Croisee was a bad show.

The cast certainly didn't help. How many people would have even cared about the show if Yune was a guy? Moe is fine, but it should never be the entire substance of a character, because really moe itself is not substance. I was never moe stricken with Yune form the start, so I found Croisee to be the most boring show I've seen in a long time (That had production values worth caring about at least).

Regardless. I'm glad when titles I don't like bomb. Is it because I wish ill on the people who made them? No. It's because whatever sells gets made more so I really don't want that type of show to sell. If they ever successfully present a period piece to me, I'd gladly accept it. But this time I say, nice try, but no thanks.

Okay you think it is a bad show and that is fine. No one is telling you to like the show. But I think it is a little cruel to be happy that show that other people really enjoyed on here did poorly in sales. Yes I am pretty upset that there probably won't be a second season, because I loved the show. If there ever was a second season you just wouldn't have to watch it.

And as for your other statement how many people would like the show is Yune was a guy? Well I don't know because I don't think I am the target audience of this show at all.

Let me state that I dislike Moe or since that doesn't say a lot I dislike shows that many people characterize as Moe or Otaku shows. I don't like female characters just because they are cute and I don't care about wanting to protect them. When I started watching Croisee, that is exactly what I thought Yune would be like. And okay I can't deny there is a little bit of that in the character. But there is so much more to Yune. She is not actually helpless, she is perceptive in things the other characters are not, and she in a sense opens the world for other characters, whereas her world is also opened up.

While Yune isn't necessarily my favorite female character this year I surprisingly found myself really caring about her.

But I didn't just care about her, I also ended up caring for the other characters as well (especially Claude & Alice) and I love the relationship that develops between Yune and these characters.

The series is wonderfully charming and extremely humanistic in its approach of having people from different cultures and classes interact. No it doesn't perfectly represent the time period but it still introduces many historical facts of French and Japanese culture at the time (and as a film buff episode 10 was just lovely).

And I should also point out that I am a female fan of this series so Yune being female had very little to do with the "appeal" of this series for me, so let's not stereotype.


edit: And I definitely plan to buy the DVDs of this series (since luckily it is already licensed in the US) but in this case I doubt that will do much helping the series get a 2nd season in Japan.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
news, sales, statistics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.