AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-09, 00:16   Link #1
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Block Avatars

Can there be an option to block user avatars? There are some people here who think it's cute to have NSFW stuff for avys (and other stuff that I just plain don't like), so I'd like to block their avatars from mine own eyes. AdBlock is cool, but it doesn't work when I access this site from other computers. I really like the option to block signatures via User Settings, so that wherever I log on, no matter what computer, the offending pictures will stay hidden. Possible for avatars as well?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 00:21   Link #2
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Eh the option to show/not show avatars is right underneath the option for signatures which you've used...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 00:59   Link #3
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Komari, just go to your user control panel, select "Edit Options" on the left side of the screen, scroll down until you get to the Thread Display Options, then uncheck the "Show Avatars" box.

Simple.
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 01:36   Link #4
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
I don't want to block all avatars, just a few. That option blocks all avatars.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 02:11   Link #5
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
As you say, I guess we do have a "beta" option (our own hack/customization) to block signatures by user. In theory it seems possible to add a similar feature for avatars (or to make the "block signature" work both signatures and avatars for that user). I haven't looked into the code, but I guess we'll have to see if NightWish is interested in working on this.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 04:12   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Blocking both with the same option isn't ideal.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 06:36   Link #7
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
I agree with felix there, some people just want to block avatars but not signatures. But some people might want to block signatures but not avatars. It's quite confusing in that way though.
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 09:58   Link #8
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Only reason I proposed it as a possibility is in case it's any easier or faster. Such fine-tuned control to blog specific signatures or avatars isn't bad, but if it were combined the worst thing that would happen is... you'd block both the avatar and signature for a given person. It's not a terrible compromise. But if's just as easy to offer both, then sure. That's all.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 10:01   Link #9
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
I approve of this. When I'm at home it's '' okay '' (though I still don't want to see them) but when browsing forums at school, I definitely don't want to have my classmates see those offending avatars when the general opinion of anime is already what it is. I don't want to turn them all off, however, as the forum would then just look too plain. And as we've no rights to install anything, I can't use Adblock there.

Please implement this feature.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 10:05   Link #10
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Can there be an option to block user avatars? There are some people here who think it's cute to have NSFW stuff for avys (and other stuff that I just plain don't like), so I'd like to block their avatars from mine own eyes. AdBlock is cool, but it doesn't work when I access this site from other computers. I really like the option to block signatures via User Settings, so that wherever I log on, no matter what computer, the offending pictures will stay hidden. Possible for avatars as well?
Well, if the disliked avatars belong to posters that you never read the posts of and/or respond to, you could put the poster himself/herself on "ignore" and that'll wipe out their avatars and sigs as well from your perspective (while letting you still see everybody else's avatars and sigs).

Admittedly, this is something of an extreme measure.


I do like the idea of having some sort of option in place to block individual avatars/sigs without blocking them all. I'd personally be fine with a system that blocks both from the same poster, as it's been my experience that posters with NSFW avvs also tend to have NSFW sigs.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 10:55   Link #11
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
, as it's been my experience that posters with NSFW avvs also tend to have NSFW sigs.
Well, avatars and signatures are often related so it czn be expected tha if one is NSFW the would be as well...

I am not too sure what to think about this topic; I did ( and most likely will again) a fews times make and use avatars and signatures than some might considered as NSFW, so the subject is kind of concerning me. Nobody on his right mind would use NSFW sig/ava only to make problem/ piss off others
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 11:30   Link #12
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Well, avatars and signatures are often related so it czn be expected tha if one is NSFW the would be as well...

I am not too sure what to think about this topic; I did ( and most likely will again) a fews times make and use avatars and signatures than some might considered as NSFW, so the subject is kind of concerning me. Nobody on his right mind would use NSFW sig/ava only to make problem/ piss off others
Well, it's been a long time since I've surfed Anime Suki from a work, school, or public library location, but I can see why those who currently do would be a little bit worried.

For private use, it's hardly significant at all - I can count on one hand the number of currently used AS avatars and sigs that I see on the board right now that I'd consider NSFW - but for public use, it is a bit of a risk.


Since it is such a small number, the ideal solution would be to empower each member to block individual avatars and sigs. Then those who enjoy using NSFW avatars and sigs can continue doing so without it causing any potential problems for other members.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:35   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
For private use, it's hardly significant at all - I can count on one hand the number of currently used AS avatars and sigs that I see on the board right now that I'd consider NSFW - but for public use, it is a bit of a risk.
Those 2-3 post are in every topic several hundred times.

And it's not just public place blah-blah-reasoning sometimes it's just annoying to have this image spam of gifs waving panties all over the thread; particularly when it's the same one over and over and over. Something like how it's annoying to scroll though a bunch of large signatures on other boards, even if you don't particularly have anything against the images themselvs. I don't really care what people use as avatars to be honest, some of the NSFW ones are actually quite funny. Heck they could be bigger, I still wouldn't care.

That's why I'm against a 1-click option. Avatars are pretty damn useful for visual recognition. Look at relentless there, you all remember how his posts looked with out an avatar; how you had to read his name since well all the people with no avatars look alike (and he has a pretty long name).
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 13:42   Link #14
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I approve of this. When I'm at home it's '' okay '' (though I still don't want to see them) but when browsing forums at school, I definitely don't want to have my classmates see those offending avatars when the general opinion of anime is already what it is. I don't want to turn them all off, however, as the forum would then just look too plain. And as we've no rights to install anything, I can't use Adblock there.

Please implement this feature.
this pretty much. once i get captured by my friend how think i visiting porn site simply the see one of signature
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 20:33   Link #15
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Well, avatars and signatures are often related so it czn be expected tha if one is NSFW the would be as well...

I am not too sure what to think about this topic; I did ( and most likely will again) a fews times make and use avatars and signatures than some might considered as NSFW, so the subject is kind of concerning me. Nobody on his right mind would use NSFW sig/ava only to make problem/ piss off others
No hard feelings to you or anyone else who does. I completely respect everyone's right to have avatars and signatures of what they like as long as it follows the forum rules. I wouldn't PM someone to remove their avatar or signature just because I don't like them; I'm not them. That's why I'd like a private option that is individual to each users.

I'm also thinking that this would be simple to implement, since we already have the same thing for signatures.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 22:02   Link #16
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
No hard feelings to you or anyone else who does. I completely respect everyone's right to have avatars and signatures of what they like as long as it follows the forum rules. I wouldn't PM someone to remove their avatar or signature just because I don't like them; I'm not them. That's why I'd like a private option that is individual to each users.
No harm taken, anyway it isn't like I am the worse offender around with a fews ''risquées'' signatures from time to time. And PM someone is still better than PM a mod. To be honest, I was asked ones ( via a a message comming with a positive reputation) to change my signature/avatar for one less NSFW, I was completely fine with changing it.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:03   Link #17
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Can we please get this going?? If possible
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 00:00   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
There's a way to do it for individuals ... let me research if its still available. I know I've done it for the occasional outrageous avatar or sig

ah, under Edit Options in your User CP page ... there's a beta function near the bottom called [beta] Hide Signatures. You can list users there. Unfortunately, I don't have a similar solution for avatars outside of Adblock and selecting the individual image (which doesn't port).

Yeah, I'm fine with people expressing themselves but when you're in a location where certain images could be problematic - its a pain in the ass to go click all the switches. One compromise possibility is a single "SAFE FOR ALL VIEWING" button I suppose.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-10-14 at 00:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 00:04   Link #19
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Ooh, please share
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 05:23   Link #20
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
@Vexx

Opera users can use the block feature. It will get synced up. Though I advise against it since it has a tendancy to do things like say http://img9.imageshack.com/img/* which means you'll suddenly find yourself not seeing certain images, not just the particular image. Only certain images since imageshack has many servers.

I think there's a way to just manually add the specific image though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's a way to do it for individuals ... let me research if its still available. I know I've done it for the occasional outrageous avatar or sig

ah, under Edit Options in your User CP page ... there's a beta function near the bottom called [beta] Hide Signatures. You can list users there. Unfortunately, I don't have a similar solution for avatars outside of Adblock and selecting the individual image (which doesn't port).

Yeah, I'm fine with people expressing themselves but when you're in a location where certain images could be problematic - its a pain in the ass to go click all the switches. One compromise possibility is a single "SAFE FOR ALL VIEWING" button I suppose.
The ideal solution would be just having a switch or dialog you select when you submit it; basically Safe for Work and NSFW (including boobs, etc). You can then have it as a cookie option and default to Safe for Work. The advantage of this is it would benefit everyone, not just select group of people but the site in general.

There's an added bonus to this. You can have SFW, Sketchy (boobs etc), and NSFW. So you basically can have not only safe board but also really really NSFW stuff as well. The drawback though is that it kind of splits the community slightly; it's kind of annoying seing people with no avatar at all (I hete reading usernames all day).
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.