AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-08, 09:12   Link #241
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Long story short, the new anime sticks closer to the manga as of episode 1, but it's subjective whether that's a good thing or not.
Fans nowadays really insist that the anime stay faithful to the source manga so it's a good thing imo.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 11:23   Link #242
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Fans nowadays really insist that the anime stay faithful to the source manga so it's a good thing imo.
See I don't understand that. I don't mind if an anime deviates from its source so long as its deviation is an improvement.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 12:01   Link #243
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The town where Copernicus was born.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
See I don't understand that. I don't mind if an anime deviates from its source so long as its deviation is an improvement.
I agree although it rarely occurs. And new anime isn't that much more faithful to be honest. Kaito wasn't in the first episode and they've added some random guy for no reason. Both changes were pointless if you ask me. Also, first episode lacks good directing, everything is paced too fast and changes between the scenes are too abrupt. It is very faithful to manga but that's why old anime > manga. In old anime Gon had to make some effort in order to catch the big fish, in manga and in new anime he did it without problems. There was also an interesting "atmosphere" thanks to very fitting music and scenery (for example the night+woods+fitting music = awesome scene).
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 12:32   Link #244
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Who's random guy?

If it's going straight to Hunter Exam, I have not much problem with this.

....

I don't care much about the fish. Seriously, the fish? When I got into the anime years ago, and looked back, the fish got to be most useless thing that got too much attention.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 12:46   Link #245
Gooral
Firefly/Serenity fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The town where Copernicus was born.
Age: 28
I meant Katsuo. Scenes with him were pointless besides the one where he falls into the ocean. But again, in old anime it was done much better, even Kurapica and Leorio catching Gon was different (in a more convincing way IMO). As for fish, details do matter IMO nad it wasn't useless. To know how to run you have to first know how to walk and it was Gon's first big achievement and a good test of his capabilities.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 13:31   Link #246
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
And new anime isn't that much more faithful to be honest. Kaito wasn't in the first episode and they've added some random guy for no reason. Both changes were pointless if you ask me. Also, first episode lacks good directing, everything is paced too fast and changes between the scenes are too abrupt. It is very faithful to manga but that's why old anime > manga. In old anime Gon had to make some effort in order to catch the big fish, in manga and in new anime he did it without problems.
I think the scene with Kite is very likely to be moved to episode 4. Chapters 5-7 were adapted completely differently in the manga, and one of the scenes removed was Gon telling Killua about Kite while they're running the marathon. I think that's probably the perfect opportunity to include his past--it's just like what One Piece did with Luffy's past.

As far as Gon fishing out the Lord of the Lake, pay attention to the dialogue. One of the fishermen states that Gon's been attempting to fish out the Lord of the Lake for an entire week non-stop. And he uses his ingenuity to capture him in this version too. The fish is almost too strong for him, so he creates a pulley using the fishing line and the tree. It's almost the same as it is in the original anime series.

But so far, from episode 1, we see that the 2011 anime is significantly more faithful. Gon's house looks the same as it does in the manga, the character designs are more reminiscent of Togashi's, Mito doesn't say that she's related to Gon's absent mother, the captain of the ship is a drunkard, and the director doesn't have Kurapika and Leorio jump off the ship completely to catch Gon (and then chastise him for doing so, even though they do the exact same thing) like Furuhashi did. And personality wise, I think the characters will be closer to their manga incarnations. When episode 2 airs, I'll make a similar comparison.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 17:33   Link #247
sangofe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
So I just watched episode 1; it feels a bit rushed but it's only the first episode... As for the voices, they were all right, expect for Kurapika who sounds lifeless. I'm giving this a 6/10.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 20:21   Link #248
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I think the scene with Kite is very likely to be moved to episode 4. Chapters 5-7 were adapted completely differently in the manga, and one of the scenes removed was Gon telling Killua about Kite while they're running the marathon. I think that's probably the perfect opportunity to include his past--it's just like what One Piece did with Luffy's past.

As far as Gon fishing out the Lord of the Lake, pay attention to the dialogue. One of the fishermen states that Gon's been attempting to fish out the Lord of the Lake for an entire week non-stop. And he uses his ingenuity to capture him in this version too. The fish is almost too strong for him, so he creates a pulley using the fishing line and the tree. It's almost the same as it is in the original anime series.

But so far, from episode 1, we see that the 2011 anime is significantly more faithful. Gon's house looks the same as it does in the manga, the character designs are more reminiscent of Togashi's, Mito doesn't say that she's related to Gon's absent mother, the captain of the ship is a drunkard, and the director doesn't have Kurapika and Leorio jump off the ship completely to catch Gon (and then chastise him for doing so, even though they do the exact same thing) like Furuhashi did. And personality wise, I think the characters will be closer to their manga incarnations. When episode 2 airs, I'll make a similar comparison.
actually personality wise the characters in the first adaptation were very similar to their manga counterparts.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 23:11   Link #249
AvianWing
lol whut?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
They went through 2 preliminary tests in the second episode; the pace continues to be scorching. Not much about the episode for the veterans, but quite a bit of character development for the new comers. We got to see the personalities and the strengths of the trio-- with Gon having great instincts to go with his agility, Kurapica having great composure and wits, while Leorio having a fiery but caring personality.

Overall, decent episode, but I'm really excited for the next one, which marks the beginning of the real hunter exam and we get to meet the contestants.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-08, 23:19   Link #250
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
actually personality wise the characters in the first adaptation were very similar to their manga counterparts.
When the new series gets around to the episodes in the future, I'll go into more detail. But there are quite a few character traits significantly different present in the anime. Gon's flaws are overlooked and treated too gently by Furuhashi; he makes Gon an inherently good (and flawless) kid while solely attributing his failures to his disadvantage as an eleven-year-old. Killua is socially retarded and consistently cold (pay attention to the differences in how Gon and Killua become friends; Gon has to work to get Killua's name in the first anime, but Killua is the first to introduce himself to Gon in the manga). There are more, but I'd have to watch the episodes again to remember them all.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 00:13   Link #251
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
When the new series gets around to the episodes in the future, I'll go into more detail. But there are quite a few character traits significantly different present in the anime. Gon's flaws are overlooked and treated too gently by Furuhashi; he makes Gon an inherently good (and flawless) kid while solely attributing his failures to his disadvantage as an eleven-year-old. Killua is socially retarded and consistently cold (pay attention to the differences in how Gon and Killua become friends; Gon has to work to get Killua's name in the first anime, but Killua is the first to introduce himself to Gon in the manga). There are more, but I'd have to watch the episodes again to remember them all.
Well that was because Gon's flaws don't really become overt until later on in the manga, however the fact that Gon seems to have his own set of morals different from the norm (he doesn't react to Killua's family's profession at all, and his reaction to the Genei Ryodan was pretty much the same. Hisoka was also his same crazy self.

The only character that had some change was Killua, and even then the changes fit with the current Killua in the manga.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 04:34   Link #252
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Spoiler for Episode 2:
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 10:21   Link #253
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 13:05   Link #254
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Leorio sure made a fuss over answering the question. Totally overreacting.
Good thing Kurapica had a cool head.
On the other hand, Gon is not too bright, but his heart is in the right place.
The part in the forest was pretty nice with those weird creatures.
Gon sure is a special one.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 14:26   Link #255
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Leorio sure made a fuss over answering the question. Totally overreacting.
Good thing Kurapica had a cool head.
On the other hand, Gon is not too bright, but his heart is in the right place.
The part in the forest was pretty nice with those weird creatures.
Gon sure is a special one.
I think the Leorio scene showed his compassion more than anything else. The fact that he was willing to react so violently indicates both a character flaw and something worthy of admiration. He's so abhorred by the idea of choosing to save one person over another, that he acts incredibly irrationally and tries to attack an old woman. Granted, he would have failed had he chosen not to take the quiz, and we see for the first time just how strong his convictions are--despite claiming last episode that his reason for becoming a Hunter was solely for money.

Episode comparison under the spoiler box. 1999 on left, 2011 in middle, manga on right. Lots of images:
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 2 Comparison:

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2011-10-09 at 14:48.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 16:10   Link #256
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Lol Leorio not being able to figure out the answer. Glad he passed the other part as well. Kurapika is really smart. Lol Gon is th best, not only did he not flinch but he was able to tell them apart. Wonder if Ging was able to do it as well.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:13   Link #257
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
First half moved a bit slow for me but 2nd half was fun to watch. The ownage displayed in that part reminds me of the author's past work. I assume this will get better too.

Also, I like the music; whoever's doing the bgm makes the action so much better.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 11:14   Link #258
Tsukou
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I think the Leorio scene showed his compassion more than anything else. The fact that he was willing to react so violently indicates both a character flaw and something worthy of admiration. He's so abhorred by the idea of choosing to save one person over another, that he acts incredibly irrationally and tries to attack an old woman. Granted, he would have failed had he chosen not to take the quiz, and we see for the first time just how strong his convictions are--despite claiming last episode that his reason for becoming a Hunter was solely for money.

Episode comparison under the spoiler box. 1999 on left, 2011 in middle, manga on right. Lots of images:
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 2 Comparison:
I disagree with a couple points. While it's true it stays more on point in the questions, but they leave off how they heard Mashu go off and gets attacked, but replace it with Kurapika "figuring it out". I liked the idea of knowing that he got punished for going ahead like that.

And you can't fault the original for having some cells not matching like the faces, because unlike nowadays, I believe HxH was hand drawn, and honestly one of the most amazing animes I've seen produced, and I just don't think it's a fair comparison to say are "off model" when you consider the hard work it took to create. And you're not even discussing the details of backgrounds. The backgrounds in the original, especially when they enter this ghost town are drawn impeccably and fit the atmosphere. In the newer version they just seem so lackluster. It doesn't provide any atmosphere outside from being a background.

And to be fair about the vaccination scene, Gon looked through a dark thicket to spot a moving shadow in the cover of darkness. Leorio's scene is pretty out in the open, plenty of time to adjust his eyes, and is staring at a fixed target. It's not an unbelievable scene.

But I didn't like how bright the scene looks in the new one. In the original and the manga, they both have Gon stand for a moment, scan the area, and instantly react to movements. In the new one they show them immediately sprinting in their direction, not really showing the impressiveness of this feat, didn't like this at all. Felt less impressive.

I agree that the new one stays faithful to the manga, but in all honesty the old one stayed close enough that I wasn't pointing out when it happened. And while the new one looks shiny, the old one just has a certain nostalgic feeling, as well as showing off just how stunning hand-drawn animation can be. It had feeling and depth, that I just feel are slightly missing in the new one. Maybe it's me being overly nostalgic, and maybe I will change my opinion in time.

But maybe it also has to deal with I like old Gon's va.. not new Gon.. I suppose Killua must make the difference!
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:30   Link #259
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
I disagree with a couple points. While it's true it stays more on point in the questions, but they leave off how they heard Mashu go off and gets attacked, but replace it with Kurapika "figuring it out". I liked the idea of knowing that he got punished for going ahead like that.
Kurapika hearing Matthew scream was removed for a future plot point. Keep in mind that Matthew is out of the city when he's attacked by a beast--but Kurapika hears him. As a future arc suggests though, Kurapika doesn't have that ability. Rather, one of his allies (Melody) does. It was retconned because it's sort of a mistake in the source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
And you can't fault the original for having some cells not matching like the faces, because unlike nowadays, I believe HxH was hand drawn, and honestly one of the most amazing animes I've seen produced, and I just don't think it's a fair comparison to say are "off model" when you consider the hard work it took to create. And you're not even discussing the details of backgrounds. The backgrounds in the original, especially when they enter this ghost town are drawn impeccably and fit the atmosphere. In the newer version they just seem so lackluster. It doesn't provide any atmosphere outside from being a background.
Just because characters are hand drawn doesn't mean I can fault them for not being on model. Heck, the manga is hand drawn too. And the special that showed the Madhouse animators drawing the series confirmed that the 2011 version is at least partially hand-drawn. Future episodes manage to get it right--even the following episode of the 1999 show had great art. But the team assigned to episode 4 of the 1999 version simply weren't good at drawing.

I may not be discussing the backgrounds in detail, and I agree with you that they're superb in Nippon Animation's adaptation. The studio has always excelled in that department at the very least. But I can't say that the new backgrounds are "lackluster"...if anything, I think that Madhouse manages its colors better (whereas Nippon Animation took the risk of incorporating really dark blacks with brighter colors to create a piercing contrast gradient, which added to the mood of the series and made the background art beautiful). Because of digital animation, the backgrounds are sharper and more detailed as well. I think judging them boils down to a matter of opinion. I think both are spectacular, but the reasons why I think so are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
And to be fair about the vaccination scene, Gon looked through a dark thicket to spot a moving shadow in the cover of darkness. Leorio's scene is pretty out in the open, plenty of time to adjust his eyes, and is staring at a fixed target. It's not an unbelievable scene.
Gon's vision is supposed to be an unbelievable feat though--it's extraordinary. Despite complaining of the darkness, Leorio's vision is arguably better than Gon's in that scene--he sees the bump on a creature's arm while he's wearing sunglasses. And it still doesn't change the fact that Leorio left his patient while a dangerous creature was supposedly out to murder the latter. It goes against what his character stands for; truthfully, I think that the 1999 series often goes to great lengths to make sure the viewers think that Leorio is less talented than he actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
But I didn't like how bright the scene looks in the new one. In the original and the manga, they both have Gon stand for a moment, scan the area, and instantly react to movements. In the new one they show them immediately sprinting in their direction, not really showing the impressiveness of this feat, didn't like this at all. Felt less impressive.

I agree that the new one stays faithful to the manga, but in all honesty the old one stayed close enough that I wasn't pointing out when it happened. And while the new one looks shiny, the old one just has a certain nostalgic feeling, as well as showing off just how stunning hand-drawn animation can be. It had feeling and depth, that I just feel are slightly missing in the new one. Maybe it's me being overly nostalgic, and maybe I will change my opinion in time.

But maybe it also has to deal with I like old Gon's va.. not new Gon.. I suppose Killua must make the difference!
As far as your opinion goes, I totally respect it. I'm only being so harsh on the 1999 series (even though I love it) because it seems that many are comparing the two and already detracting the new version as an inferior product after two episodes. Nostalgia can play with our minds because instead of relying on objective reality, it largely exists in the realm of subjective feelings and ideas. The comparisons are solely supposed to be an objective view over both series, something viewers typically won't do having watched the original and loved it.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 07:49   Link #260
wisteria233
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 26
Episode 2 was better than episode 1 in that it was slower pace so it was easier to take in the world.

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 2 Comparison:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Kurapika hearing Matthew scream was removed for a future plot point. Keep in mind that Matthew is out of the city when he's attacked by a beast--but Kurapika hears him. As a future arc suggests though, Kurapika doesn't have that ability. Rather, one of his allies (Melody) does. It was retconned because it's sort of a mistake in the source material.
Actually that wasn't a retcon. Your forgetting something very important. The characters never went along Masshu's route, so they never saw what happened to him only heard it. They also never said that Masshu wasn't in city anymore or how far he got before he was killed, so Kurapica hearing Masshu dying doesn't create any problems with the story, and it certainly wasn't retconned. All it really means is that Kurapica's senses are better than Leorio's and they are.

Quote:
Just because characters are hand drawn doesn't mean I can fault them for not being on model. Heck, the manga is hand drawn too. And the special that showed the Madhouse animators drawing the series confirmed that the 2011 version is at least partially hand-drawn. Future episodes manage to get it right--even the following episode of the 1999 show had great art. But the team assigned to episode 4 of the 1999 version simply weren't good at drawing.

I may not be discussing the backgrounds in detail, and I agree with you that they're superb in Nippon Animation's adaptation. The studio has always excelled in that department at the very least. But I can't say that the new backgrounds are "lackluster"...if anything, I think that Madhouse manages its colors better (whereas Nippon Animation took the risk of incorporating really dark blacks with brighter colors to create a piercing contrast gradient, which added to the mood of the series and made the background art beautiful). Because of digital animation, the backgrounds are sharper and more detailed as well. I think judging them boils down to a matter of opinion. I think both are spectacular, but the reasons why I think so are different.
The scenes were all still digitally made so you really can't compare it to the 1999 adaptation which was all hand drawn. I also want to see your confirmation that the 2011 Madhouse version was hand drawn because this is the first time I've heard it.

Quote:
Gon's vision is supposed to be an unbelievable feat though--it's extraordinary. Despite complaining of the darkness, Leorio's vision is arguably better than Gon's in that scene--he sees the bump on a creature's arm while he's wearing sunglasses. And it still doesn't change the fact that Leorio left his patient while a dangerous creature was supposedly out to murder the latter. It goes against what his character stands for; truthfully, I think that the 1999 series often goes to great lengths to make sure the viewers think that Leorio is less talented than he actually is.
Leorio is not a fighter he is a doctor, and in the 1999 version he never left the patients side either.
Spoiler for York Shin City arc:


It actually seems more like your trying too hard to find fault with the 1999 version, and sometimes even up being factually wrong. I know you're upset about people comparing the two versions but you have to understand the Nippon Animation version was good and not only that but exceptional to the point where is considered one of the best anime series of all time, despite its faults, so its a hard act to follow. And no nostalgia has nothing to do with it, as I've come across plenty of people who have recently watched the 1999 version and have admitted to it being one of the best anime that they've ever seen for many of those people it actually changed their minds about filler episodes (the fact that you have to know exactly what happened in the manga to be able to tell them apart from canon events should be telling enough) because of how on point it was in terms of characterization (and even the changes and additions they made--even though they weren't overt-- would later on fit in anyway in later arcs- making any complaints in this area moot). This is a world of difference between this and FMA whose first adaptation did its own thing and ended up with an end result that is best described as YMMV, because in this case if someone hates the 1999 version then chances are they'll hate the manga and subsequently the 2011 re-make too. Right now Madhouse either has to do better than the 1999 adaptation (which will be hard) or go home. Your gonna have to get over this fact because that's the truth.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-10-11 at 09:05.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.