AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-05, 07:06   Link #8461
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
Regarding the latest chapter,
I'm really glad the fourth-wall
stuff is back.

I just don't know where this
is going though.
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 12:48   Link #8462
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Cute chapter. Nagi was degenerate as usual, and Maria saves the day. The theme of what one can achieve with one's life really is at the heart of this series. Having only two months and not knowing what you can really do with it--having one life and not knowing what you can really do with it--they are the same. It is the passage of time pressing down on us that pushes us forward.

Ultimately, however, there is the need and desire to search for the path whereby we can truly surpass/overcome the triviality of our existences. The inspiration to really create a massive hit doujin in a matter of 2 months before the next comiket. This meaning, this ability is probably the Power of Kings. It is only those who have grasped hold of that inherent knowledge/ability that have the power to truly move the world.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Kill la Kill 75/5 :: Sakura Trick 100/5 :: Saki Zenkoku-hen 100/5 :: HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Mushishi OVA 100/5
Spring:
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 16:33   Link #8463
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Someone please wake me in 2 months or so, when something relevant or genuinely funny happens.

Second chapter in a row where I didn't even move the edges of my mouth.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 01:01   Link #8464
AzureWrath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hina is so silly. She had the perfect setup and she failed the follow-through. I loved the narrator's comment about Hayate's probable response though xD
__________________
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 02:04   Link #8465
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
lol wow, Hina. This chapter made me realize that self-defeating behaviour is often part of Hayate no Gotoku's humour. Quite a fun chapter, though. Go ahead and read it, Mentar. I dunno if, as a hardcore Hina fan, it lines up exactly with what you want from the story, but I thought it was sweet at least.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Kill la Kill 75/5 :: Sakura Trick 100/5 :: Saki Zenkoku-hen 100/5 :: HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Mushishi OVA 100/5
Spring:
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 05:59   Link #8466
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lol wow, Hina. This chapter made me realize that self-defeating behaviour is often part of Hayate no Gotoku's humour. Quite a fun chapter, though. Go ahead and read it, Mentar. I dunno if, as a hardcore Hina fan, it lines up exactly with what you want from the story, but I thought it was sweet at least.
Well, I certainly enjoyed it ^_^ ... and felt a bit guilty about it at the same time. Why?

Essentially, the chapter was a copy of the Nagi narration. Character shows a stubborn insistence on a flaw (Hikikomoro-ness by Nagi, Reflex-Denial by Hina), and at the end, things still turn out okay. Yet, we know that Nagi won't REALLY stop being a Hikikomori, and Hina won't get more honest about herself. So we've got our chuckle time - and nothing changed. Couldn't we have at least baby steps?

And I feel guilty because I enjoyed the Hina chapter and sighed at the Nagi one. It feels a bit hypocritical, but I guess it's simply because I feel it simpler to forgive Hina's vices. She's at least AWARE of it.

Ah well... let's get through the 2 months. And then see how the main storyline resumes after Chibi-Athena is recharged.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 06:08   Link #8467
Masuzu
勝利のため
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: キセキの世代
That was nice, the narrator strikes again.
__________________
Masuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 07:32   Link #8468
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
cute chapter... I'm glad they finally put Hina in story's focus... yay!

now I'll just wait until A-tan's turn.... xD
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 09:48   Link #8469
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
"Hinagiku-san's wish does not seem as if it will be granted even if she uses the Holy Grail"
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 13:18   Link #8470
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
"Hinagiku-san's wish does not seem as if it will be granted even if she uses the Holy Grail"
Ohoho.

Anyway, this was a pretty sweet chapter. Poor Hina though, her own strengths have overshadowed her to the point where she feels she has to live up to them.


As for the chest massage part, that doesn't really seem like Hayate to me. He's been a bit flanderized by Hina haha (and the narrator is totally not helping by agreeing with her).


Also, Page 8 Hina... daww~
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 14:02   Link #8471
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, I certainly enjoyed it ^_^ ... and felt a bit guilty about it at the same time. Why?

Essentially, the chapter was a copy of the Nagi narration. Character shows a stubborn insistence on a flaw (Hikikomoro-ness by Nagi, Reflex-Denial by Hina), and at the end, things still turn out okay. Yet, we know that Nagi won't REALLY stop being a Hikikomori, and Hina won't get more honest about herself. So we've got our chuckle time - and nothing changed. Couldn't we have at least baby steps?

And I feel guilty because I enjoyed the Hina chapter and sighed at the Nagi one. It feels a bit hypocritical, but I guess it's simply because I feel it simpler to forgive Hina's vices. She's at least AWARE of it.
And yet... At least, Nagi was convinced to stop being a Hikikimori. Sure, she'll backslide next time the author wants to make a gag about her, but this once, she decided to go to school.

Hina never decided to ask Hayate for a massage. All that happened is that her ploys failed, but she got still what she wanted handed to her.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 15:15   Link #8472
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Two more months until Alice turns back into Athena... that's so far away.

What could possibly happen next if Athena isn't coming back anytime soon?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 16:01   Link #8473
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And yet... At least, Nagi was convinced to stop being a Hikikimori.
Now look into a mirror and try to convince yourself that that's true.

...

Quote:
Sure, she'll backslide next time the author wants to make a gag about her, but this once, she decided to go to school.
And that's all. Nagi wasn't _convinced_ at all. She's impulsive, so you'll get her changing her mind completely within 5 seconds, but she definitely won't stop her Hikikomori ways. Wanna bet? That has nothing to do with "making a gag", this is how Hata consistently writes Nagi. No genuine development at all, just impulsive shots from the hip.

That's why I found the latest arc so frustrating. Can't Hata at least BEGIN some lasting changes? Some lasting developments? Hell, he decided to whack Nagi harshly for her standard weakness. Letting her grow up some and _really_ learn from it would have been more than justified. Instead, we get more "Nagi is a NEET" jokes. Meh.

Quote:
Hina never decided to ask Hayate for a massage. All that happened is that her ploys failed, but she got still what she wanted handed to her.
Yep. No genuine development either. Which is a step back for her in a way - in earlier arcs at least she baby-stepped her way towards eventually confessing (even though he didn't get it).

Anyway, really nothing new going on here. So I hope that we'll get into a proper storyline soon. Unless Hata figures out a way to refresh is palette. I'm not looking forward to the 623th Nagi is a NEET joke. Or the 231st Hina can't be honest around Hayate.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 16:12   Link #8474
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Now look into a mirror and try to convince yourself that that's true.

...
I don't have a problem with that. I did add qualifiers, after all.


Quote:
And that's all. Nagi wasn't _convinced_ at all. She's impulsive, so you'll get her changing her mind completely within 5 seconds, but she definitely won't stop her Hikikomori ways. Wanna bet? That has nothing to do with "making a gag", this is how Hata consistently writes Nagi. No genuine development at all, just impulsive shots from the hip.

That's why I found the latest arc so frustrating. Can't Hata at least BEGIN some lasting changes? Some lasting developments? Hell, he decided to whack Nagi harshly for her standard weakness. Letting her grow up some and _really_ learn from it would have been more than justified. Instead, we get more "Nagi is a NEET" jokes. Meh.
As I said, I'm aware it's in no way a permanent change. Though I find it interesting that when she decided "not to waste her life", she decided to go to school, as opposed to playing games or drawing manga. It's not like her terrible study habits have ever been a problem before. She still maintains top scores, and the school's never hassled her over it.

But if you take it in the perspective of "one day at a time", well, that particular day was a win. (Isn't that what they do for alcoholics?)
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 09:02   Link #8475
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Well, the thing about harem love-comedies like this one is that, ultimately, authors have got no choice but to always go back to status-quo. Too much development can mean characters can stray to much from traits they are identified by fans. This is the same with relationships.

Now, let's look at all the heroines. Nagi has definitely matured a bit. She interacts more with people, goes out of the house a bit more, and she even has a part-time job in order to buy a gift to Hayate. Hina has also changed in terms she can now accept her own feelings, but she still has problems being honest about herself and showing it to others. Maria has devolved almost completely into a gag character. Ayumu is, in my opinion, the girl who has been developed the most. She's seriously different in comparison to how she started. However, no matter what she does, she's still the underdog. Athena got a lot of development in the Greece arc, but once that ended, she basically disappeared and Alice has been a gag so far. Sakuya and Isumi barely show up these days. Izumi has had some development, but not enough and she remains the same. Luca is too new.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 11:59   Link #8476
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The thing about a harem is that once a couple is established as canon, it ceases to be a harem. Choosing one means rejecting the rest, which may not go so well with fans of the rejected.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 13:10   Link #8477
Eleutheria
旅行癖
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
New chapter. Felt like Hata was just phoning it in.
__________________
ロースクールに入ったから、アニメはもはやこれまでかな
日本語のレベルも段々退歩してるし~
Eleutheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 17:02   Link #8478
xellos2099
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
New Chapter Spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 14:17   Link #8479
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
A helluva maid!
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 15:07   Link #8480
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
I remember that I thought 2-3 weeks ago "about the issue of 'too much characters', what about that throwaway Fumi and her friend?" Well, there she is.

o Tick Isumi
o Tick Sakuya
o Tick Fumi

*hopes that we'll reach the end of the list soon*
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.