AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-21, 00:56   Link #921
bigdeath

Really? Is there a need for us to be back in a school setting. Yet another similarity with Code Geass, a pointless school setting for the heck of it. lol
Old 2011-10-21, 00:59   Link #922
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Just watched episode 2. I would say this was better than episode 1 because I felt there were no pacing issues this time. Otherwise, it's similar to my receptions from episode 1 - if you view from it a "Hollywood summer blockbuster" popcorn entertainment point of view, Guilty Crown first 2 eps have delivered it better than any other anime this year in flying colors. From a critics point of view though, I can understand all the criticisms, but fortunately for me, I decided to take my critic goggles off for this show and just enjoy the ride. I'll be putting them on for Fate/Zero however, which I do think is better overall.

From a production point of view, if Guilty Crown keeps it up, it will likely be the anime of the year in terms of visuals (Hanasaku Iroha, I think you're honestly going to be overtaken ). The action scenes were fantastically done. Lots of vibrant movement, projectile spam and explosions. Wonderful character and mecha designs too. A real treat for the eyes. Audio wise it's also fantastic, though I'm not really a fan of the OP's singer. I much prefer the Ryo + Nagi Supercell combo. The OP itself was pretty good though, as were the BGM and insert songs.

In terms of character, I think I'm on the Inori bandwagon. She has all the characteristics of "moe" I like - subtle, elegant and mysterious. Though that one air duct scene with Shu getting a good look at her butt was a bit too much for fanservice imo. Wheelchair girl Ayase was not bad either. Pretty obvious she has a crush on Gai . I'm a bit worried for Tsugumi though... she seems to be in this show purely for fanservice reasons so far but I won't make assumptions just yet. Gai was kickass and badass as usual so no problems from me. Shu is still largely milktoast generic, but he had his moment of shonen-style GAR at the end so it's not all bad. I'm predicting Gai will die in the future and Shu will take over the Undertaker group, which leaves plenty of character development from him.

Plot. Well, it isn't anything special, but hey's it's already better than 95% of anime out there which use high-school romcom or harem settings, or those bad LN adaptations which simply have completely far-fetched premises - looking at you JC Staff. In other words, it more than suffices for me so I'm not going to criticize it too much.

Definitely a keeper for me and will be one of the three anime this season I'll be attentively following on a weekly basis alongside Fate/Zero and Chihayafuru.

9/10 for this 2nd episode.
Old 2011-10-21, 00:59   Link #923
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just to lighten the mood here a bit...

Guilty Crown in pro wrestling terms:

vs.

and

Sorry, couldn't resist given the obvious pun. Love how there's a Triple-H and an Undertaker in currently airing anime.
Old 2011-10-21, 01:00   Link #924
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
lol, "Undertaker".

I see I was not the only one that wasn't thinking that.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 01:06   Link #925
Jerseykid

He didn't take his hand, that a nice little unexpected twist at the end
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 01:07   Link #926
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
He didn't take his hand, that a nice little unexpected twist at the end
I don't think the anime explicitly showed whether he took his hand or not. Think it was left ambiguous on purpose.
Old 2011-10-21, 01:15   Link #927
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I don't think the anime explicitly showed whether he took his hand or not. Think it was left ambiguous on purpose.
I think he said he didn't tho towards the end so i think you could rule it out

No, Seed does not define what a Gundam show should be like.

Picking a Gundam over a Princess is not a bad idea, Princess+singing can get you killed
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 01:20   Link #928
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

I just hope this anime will keep getting better. I honestly don't mind it's similarity to code geass, but I honestly think that the hero isn't that likeable as lelouch was. On another note, I really love the soundtrack of this anime, ryo really is a genius.... but I agree with the others that supercell + nagi is better.
Old 2011-10-21, 01:34   Link #929
tsunade666

Well Shu is an emo boy wannabe hero type of character. If we are talking about manipulative leader then it's Gai. Plus I think Gai has his secrets of his own just like zero.

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 01:51   Link #930
Forsaken_Infinity

Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
He explicitly mentions he didn't take the hand but his hope that he's back to his normal life is obviously not gonna come true. Gai already has (? Did she follow him by her own conscious choice?) Inori chase him to his class >_>

There is a lot of potential here to shade gray into the seemingly black and white situation. The only issue is that I can't tell if they are portraying things so black and white just to make the gray spray feel that much better or if they are just going with a full frontal haters gonna hate, let's do b & w approach.

At the very least though, Gai doesn't behave exactly that well to be a traditional white knight and his philosophy isn't exactly what forces of strictly good would adorn either. There is an effort to contrast between him, who would do anything to achieve a goal and sees in terms of success and failure, and the MC, who seems to see people as inanely human instead. But the MC is so boring and Gai himself feels somewhat bland and thus everything goes down the drain.

I wonder what, or rather, how much, did Inori mean with that "After all, I am yours now" crap.

Oh and Triple_R, we had another butt-in-motion fanservice this week in
Spoiler:
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 02:17   Link #931
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Just rewatched the end, and yeh my bad. Shu did reject Gai's hand.
Old 2011-10-21, 02:38   Link #932
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 2 continues to be gorgeous. The action choreography is of the direct, clear cut kind, which only an anime with a budget is able to pull off convincingly. I'm happy that I.G. continues to bring in the goods.

I don't mind Shu's character, but the guy needs to learn how to speak faster and articulate himself properly. I hope by the end of the series he'll be able to say stuff like "my drill will pierce the heavens" with a straight face and a loud clear voice.

It does bother me a small bit that both Gai and Shu are 17 years old, it looks like Gai could be Shu's 7 year older brother.

It also bothers me that for their situation and occupation, these Undertaker people look way too good. I wonder what kind of conditioner Gai uses to get those silky blond hair...
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 02:55   Link #933
tsunade666

onto the high budget anime. I wonder if their savings are up for it till the end. I hate to see an up and down animation and can the sales back it up their money which they used for this high visual animation because so far the animation is the only thing that makes this superb than the others. The story is so copy paste from other works and the villains had a big villain on their face that you will hate them as clear as it is. It's clearly a black and white situation though for the leader of white. His policy of survival of the fittest isn't as white as it seems. It just doesn't justify the killing. As well as Shu's confuse and shock reaction. It's rather weak compared to him in episode 1 when he let Inori got captured. I know they show that the enemies are clear enemies in his eyes but it still feel out of character for him to not question the thing that he killed somebody.

Old 2011-10-21, 03:15   Link #934
hai_san

Well after watching the 2 first ep, the series seem interesting, but the Characters are to much cliche. Gai the cool and calculating but cruel leader of an underground organisation, Shu the wimpy hero who isnt interested in anything at all till the main heroine appeared as the Princess in the Pinch...:s It isnt the first time i see this setup but still isnt there any other way to start a Story/Serie?

Also the Seiryuu of Shu, really the producers chose the most wimpy weak ass voice as their main protagonist? I mean there are sure other characters which suit this kind of voice, but for the sword wielding main hero?

A good point of the series is the music though.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 03:22   Link #935
ApostleOfGod
^.^

lots of interesting observations and respectable opinions

episode 2 in my opinion was very well done, would have preferred more "in between the lines" script opposed to explaining everything step by step, and what has yet to been explained will probably be explained via dialogue so..

in any case, the "insert music" in episode one for the first few minutes with Inori, while she is running with the genome, is that not the song called My Dearest? from what I see, it seems like My Dearest is this OP from the second episode, which doesn't really slide with me too well because of the obvious difference in voices - in episode one, I thought the song Inori was singing was done by the VA because it sounded so similar

any efforts to help me differentiate these musical pieces would be appreciated - i know some basics, supercell's involvement and two different singers singing the OPs, but i need a clarification as to which is which

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 03:35   Link #936
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
in any case, the "insert music" in episode one for the first few minutes with Inori, while she is running with the genome, is that not the song called My Dearest? from what I see, it seems like My Dearest is this OP from the second episode, which doesn't really slide with me too well because of the obvious difference in voices - in episode one, I thought the song Inori was singing was done by the VA because it sounded so similar

any efforts to help me differentiate these musical pieces would be appreciated - i know some basics, supercell's involvement and two different singers singing the OPs, but i need a clarification as to which is which
No, the insert song from Episode 1 (the one at the start) is Euterpe, sung by Chelly who also sung the ED, Departures.
Indeed, My dearest (OP) has a complete different vocal: Koeda.
That said, all the 3 tracks (OP, ED, insert) were composed by Ryo.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 03:40   Link #937
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonhym View Post
I just hope this anime will keep getting better. I honestly don't mind it's similarity to code geass, but I honestly think that the hero isn't that likeable as lelouch was. On another note, I really love the soundtrack of this anime, ryo really is a genius.... but I agree with the others that supercell + nagi is better.
For like the 8th billion time the soundtrack is by Hiroyuki Sawano, Supercell only did the theme songs. This Supercell/Sawano discrepancy is going to give me an aneurysm before the thread is out. Supercell doesn't even have top billing on the music credits, I don't see how people keep making this mistake.

Spoiler for Guilty Crown Music Credits Expressed In The Form Of A Picture:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 03:40   Link #938
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hard to enjoy this , too much similarities with CG. Fanservice. Gai is cool , well no..
Rebels seems to have a better technology....

Only thing that i liked was Shu's decision at the end. But well , cliché transfer student came in..
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 03:50   Link #939
magnuskn

Not sure why so many people are comparing this to Geass. It's pretty standard boilerplate anime, right down to the reluctant hero ( and "reluctant" isn't something which Lelouch ever was ).

It's pretty well done so far, although I am not expecting any major suprises. As I said, standard boilerplate. Not that this means it is bad or something. Sometimes "standard" can be really good, if the presentation and storytelling is up to par.

Let's hope that our protagonist doesn't go the whiny emo "Waaaah, leave me alone, everybody!" route and gets his bearings together soonish.
Old 2011-10-21, 04:01   Link #940
tsunade666

emo Shinji is emo till the end and still complain but his presentation is a lot better than Shu who lacks emotional turmoil. His been too much wimpy that can't say it straight what he wants to say. His also easily been pushed to the corner and been manipulated by Gai. Even if he declines Gai's offer. Gai still got back up plan that Shuu surely won't deny.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig