AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 27 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 34.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 17.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-22, 01:38   Link #41
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
I can't help, but to think that, Ringo might sacrifice herself later in the series. I hope it does not happen.
The fire around her in the OP hints that she's probably going to use the spell of the diary at some point, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's going to die. For instance, after saving Yuri Momoka was severely injured but didn't die. Also, as Kirarakim pointed out, Ringo isn't totally engulfed by the flames anymore in the new OP.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 01:42   Link #42
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I love the series and I don't mind the darkness or drama (I knew it was going to come even told people this when they said it was just a silly comedy).

However I could definitely do without these sick twists & attempted rape scenes. I am sure they aren't over yet but let's just say it's one thing I don't exactly enjoy about the series.

I hope not either; I want Ringo to have a happy ending (with Shouma). Of course I don't know what will happen with this series but I don't think Ringo sacrificing herself is set in stone.

In fact I find it interesting that she is no longer being completely engulfed by the flames in the new opening.
The potential shipping for this anime will go all over the place if we take it seriously. But wow, we are at ep 15 already, so it may not be so far-stretched to guess now. The cliche (relationship) ending will be something like:
  • Ringo X Shouma
  • Himari and her two friends (or with Mario)
  • Kanba x Natsume
  • Yuri X Tabuki
  • Satenoshi x PoC/ Momoka
The chance that Ikuhara breaks all these pairings by the end is higher than if he kept all of them through. Most likely open ending

PS: i don't like the new OP as much as the old one, the song is not as good, and too much recycled animation =/
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 01:48   Link #43
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The cliche (relationship) ending will be something like:
  • Ringo X Shouma
  • Himari and her two friends
  • Kanba x Natsume

The chance that Ikuhara breaks all these pairings by the end is higher than if he kept all of them through
I took out the second two because I am not sure about them

I don't find these 3 relationships cliche at all. Predictable maybe...but they are only predictable because they have been set up & developed nicely.

Now I am not saying all these relationships will turn out but I am certainly hoping they will (and in the order they are listed actually). Not everything has to be a twist for the sake of a twist.


Quote:
PS: i don't like the new OP as much as the old one, the song is not as good, and too much recycled animation =/
Actually I didn't notice much recycled animation at all (there is a little) but there is a lot of new stuff too. The openings are similar but they also have some really unique differences.

I actually just made a comparison post on LJ about the new OP. I hope it's okay to just post the link here (because it's a pretty long post)

http://penguindrum.livejournal.com/31907.html#cutid1
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 01:50   Link #44
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The potential shipping for this anime will go all over the place if we take it seriously.
I don't think RingoxShouma is shipping. I mean, their bond is an integral part of the plot, and as of now it's the only relationship that have a positive effect on both the plot and the characterization. I mean, their bond is what helped Ringo to become normal, and it probably will be the main factor helping Shouma get over his issues too.

Are they going to get together at the end? I don't know, but I think there's chance they will. You know, I think they're a bit like Anthy and Utena from the movie (not the tv series) and well, you know....
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:01   Link #45
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorVV View Post
Sanetoshi may be related to the rabbit Momoka saved.
Very plausible theory.

That was unexpected. I really didn't see it coming - as much as I tried to picture the reason Yuri was so into Momoka, something of this magnitude never even occurred to me. Some father that was.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:03   Link #46
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I took out the second two because I am not sure about them

I don't find these 3 relationships cliche at all. Predictable maybe...but they are only predictable because they have been set up & developed nicely.

Now I am not saying all these relationships will turn out but I am certainly hoping they will (and in the order they are listed actually). Not everything has to be a twist for the sake of a twist.
Well it's hard to define "cliche", but the first one has the element of "fated lovers" who met random at the street, and then meet again when the protagonist start on his quest, who then stuck together toward the same goal. Himari x Mario are almost mirror version of each other over the Penguin Drum. While "the object of one-side-crush(Kanba), decided to return the love after his own love (toward Himari) is crushed", also is cliche isn't it?

We saw Ringo x Sho's shipping miles away before ep 13, didn't we? And nothing should indicate this relationship before that point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I don't think RingoxShouma is shipping. I mean, their bond is an integral part of the plot, and as of now it's the only relationship that have a positive effect on both the plot and the characterization. I mean, their bond is what helped Ringo to become normal, and it probably will be the main factor helping Shouma get over his issues too.

Are they going to get together at the end? I don't know, but I think there's chance they will. You know, I think they're a bit like Anthy and Utena from the movie (not the tv series) and they did get together at the end.
The problem here is we still do not see the story from Shouma 's POV yet. He always worry too much on getting back to one's good side (as Himari mentioned about every time he had argument with Kanba), especially after all that guilts piled up. But he shows no interest to Ringo yet. And we only have 9-11 episodes left

On Utena x Anthy comparison. Without the TV to strongly imply. Their relationship was no more than friend until the very ending
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:04   Link #47
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
So, who exactly does Natsume constantly refer to when she says she needs to crush him?

Did Yuri know Natsume was coming that night? The whole scenario from her side seems way too convenient.

Also, already posted the image of Yuri with her relatively see-through towel in the hotsprings battling Natsume that didn't show any hints of a penis between her delectable legs.

Lastly, I always hope for a mind-rapingly depressing ending, but that's just because everything always ends happily, so I'm always hoping for something to break the mold. I'm not expecting it though, and am pretty sure it'll be all peaches and cream by the time all is said and done.
creb is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:11   Link #48
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
So, who exactly does Natsume constantly refer to when she says she needs to crush him?

Did Yuri know Natsume was coming that night? The whole scenario from her side seems way too convenient.

Also, already posted the image of Yuri with her relatively see-through towel in the hotsprings battling Natsume that didn't show any hints of a penis between her delectable legs.

Lastly, I always hope for a mind-rapingly depressing ending, but that's just because everything always ends happily, so I'm always hoping for something to break the mold. I'm not expecting it though, and am pretty sure it'll be all peaches and cream by the time all is said and done.
I don't think Natsume really specify what she need to crush (a Japanese speaker may have to check on this) because what she said could mean "I have to crush it/him/her/ them soon".

It's true that Yuri really went through all that troubles to make a copy through. Maybe she knows that while she need to check what was written in there (the content) from time to time, the physical diary itself is special. So a copy will be the best decision, as she can check what was written inside, while ensure the real one is not stolen

On the ending, you are evil
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:16   Link #49
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But he shows no interest to Ringo yet. And we only have 9-11 episodes left
Well, that's pretty subjective. I think he does show interest in his own way, but he is pretty damaged, and obviously thinks he doesn't deserve... well, anything really.

At any rate, the way Ringo is now, she isn't going to force herself on Shouma, so I think Shouma is going to have to seek her out on his own. Their story is tied together so there's no doubt they're going to get closer and closer. That's not shipping, but plain reading comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
On Utena x Anthy comparison. Without the TV to strongly imply. Their relationship was no more than friend until the very ending
So the dance scene was just friendly? Really, I think now you're trying too hard. Regardless, the comparison was about how both got closer by helping each other to overcome their issues, which is what I see happening between Shouma and Ringo.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:24   Link #50
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am not going to get into the Mario/Himari thing because as you see I erased that from your list. I don't know what I feel about that scene. It was too surreal for me to make heads or tails of it and I am not even sure it happened in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
We saw Ringo x Sho's shipping miles away before ep 13, didn't we? And nothing should indicate this relationship before that point
So? You are right I saw it since episode 4 because there were hints of it starting back then.

I disagree that nothing should have indicated the relationship before ep 13 as I said there were hints from early on (like Shouma fitting the diary entries just as well as Tabuki, Shouma & Ringo switching clothes, etc).

Quote:
The problem here is we still do not see the story from Shouma 's POV yet. He always worry too much on getting back to one's good side (as Himari mentioned about every time he had argument with Kanba), especially after all that guilts piled up. But he shows no interest to Ringo yet. And we only have 9-11 episodes left

Ringo came to grips with her feelings for Shouma in about 2 episodes; 9 to 11 episodes is plenty of time.


Sometimes so called "cliche relationships" are better than plot twists for the sake of plot twists. Ringo & Shouma have been set up from the beginning for a reason. Will they ultimately end up together & live happily ever after I don't know. However I am 100% confident that their relationship will develop and be important to the overall story.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:24   Link #51
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, that's pretty subjective. I think he does show interest in his own way, but he is pretty damaged, and obviously thinks he doesn't deserve... well, anything really.

At any rate, the way Ringo is now, she isn't going to force herself on Shouma, so I think Shouma is going to have to seek her out on his own. Their story is tied together so there's no doubt they're going to get closer and closer. That's not shipping, but plain reading comprehension.

So the dance scene was just friendly? Really, I think now you're trying too hard. Regardless, the comparison was about how both got closer by helping each other to overcome their issues, which is what I see happening between Shouma and Ringo.
I... thought the original meaning of shipping is just "rooting for the relationship of two fictional characters"?

On Utena, well they also did dance during early period of the original TV but it was not quite the same. And i still think the screen was more powerful thank to the reflection (literally and figuratively) of these two over the original TV series. Even so, by that time ,i won't bet my life on that they will end up like the ending
__________________

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-10-22 at 02:36.
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:29   Link #52
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I... thought the original meaning of shipping is just "rooting for the relation of two fictional characters"?
Yes in a way it is but I am rooting for Shouma & Ringo because I like how their relationship has developed within the context of the story.

And personally I think it would be cheap to not have that relationship develop; just because it's "unexpected".
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:32   Link #53
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I... thought the original meaning of shipping is just "rooting for the relation of two fictional characters"?
But is it really shipping when the story is pairing them together on its own? I thought that shipping was about pairing characters for the sake of pairing them, regardless of what's happening on the screen. Well, I don't really know.

What I do know is that what's drawing Shouma and Ringo together is the plot, not any delusional feeling I might have towards them. This doesn't mean they're going to get together for sure, but for now that's where the story seems to be going IMO.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:36   Link #54
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Sometimes so called "cliche relationships" are better than plot twists for the sake of plot twists. Ringo & Shouma have been set up from the beginning for a reason. Will they ultimately end up together & live happily ever after I don't know. However I am 100% confident that their relationship will develop and be important to the overall story.
I never say cliche is bad through. A good development can make a cliche or a random relationship turns out better than the other. Cliche pairings are just easier to plot (and hence make it easier to guess the ending). For example if all the cliche pairings I listed to be true, we will knows:
  • Yuri failed to sacrifice herself and get over her childhood scar with Tabuki
  • Ringo and Shouma found themselves appreciated to be herself/himself rather than what happened to their sister/ parents
  • Kanba and Natsume gave up trying to run through the wall at last
  • Himari will be cured and unite with her friends/ Mario
  • Momoko won't be revived,she will either stay in the library with Sanetoshi. Or Sanetoshi just sacrifice himself to enter whatever realm she will be in


@Kazu-kun: i kinda consider Tabuki x Momoka and Yuri x Momoka shipping (or heck,even Tabuki x Yuri). And surely the triangle relationships of these three will be one of the key of future Penguin Drum's plot. So yes i actually count Shouma x RIngo as shipping
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 02:54   Link #55
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
i kinda consider Tabuki x Momoka and Yuri x Momoka shipping (or heck,even Tabuki x Yuri). And surely the triangle relationships of these three will be one of the key of future Penguin Drum's plot.
A key to the plot, maybe, but the key to overcome their issues, I don't think so. I think that's the difference between all those pairing and the thing between Ringo and Shouma. These two are set to develop (in a positive way) by helping each other. I don't really see this in any of the other pairings you mentioned. They relate to the plot, but character wise, they seem to have pretty negative consequences.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 03:20   Link #56
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
This must be the most absurd show I have watched in a while. For all those who complain about the coincidences, just remember that the main theme is fate. Within the show's twisted universe it makes perfect sense that Shouma is accidentally staying next door to Yuri, as well as being unable to help her, and for Yuri to change her mind, because his rescue attempt made her realize that Ringo could never replace Momoka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Hmm? I thought I was watching Shigofumi for a moment...
If it isn't Mr. Kirameki! What are you doing in another anime!?
Also my first thought... by the way, maybe you should resurrect your sparkling avatar from Shigofumi, I loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I hope they give Yuri's dad a reason for being insane.
Eh? his wife broke his heart, people have lost it for far less

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So if someone else use the diary that means either Momoka lost it or had it stolen. Unless its already someone we know who used it. Though as in the flashback she seemed overly protective of it.
What we already know is that it ended up to the hands of Himari's parents, who coincidentally blew her up in the name of fate

Also I must remind everyone, that Momoka used the diary to undo a bunny's and Yuri's deaths (yeah, it is strongly implied that they DID die)... while Yuri wants to undo Momoka's death, Masako her sister's (I think), and Kanba/Shouma Himari's... still what puzzles me is for what their parents used it for... and another thing I cannot tie in yet is Himari... more specifically how do Satenoshi as well as princess of the crystal are connected to her... during her flashback episode, she saw another girl wearing the penguin hat... they are going to be related somehow, and I am itching to see how
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 03:26   Link #57
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I am never getting any sleep tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
This must be the most absurd show I have watched in a while. For all those who complain about the coincidences, just remember that the main theme is fate. Within the show's twisted universe it makes perfect sense that Shouma is accidentally staying next door to Yuri, as well as being unable to help her, and for Yuri to change her mind, because his rescue attempt made her realize that Ringo could never replace Momoka.
I completely agree. I mean I think we all knew that if Ringo was going to be saved it would be a little cheap but I think Shouma being at the right place at the right time goes a little beyond the story finding a way to save Ringo from rape.

After all we also knew Natsume was heading that way (and she did show up) so Ikuhara could have just as easily had her save Ringo.

Shouma being at the same inn as Ringo was obviously meant to enforce the theme of fate and the connection between Ringo & Shouma even more in my opinion.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 03:30   Link #58
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
A key to the plot, maybe, but the key to overcome their issues, I don't think so. I think that's the difference between all those pairing and the thing between Ringo and Shouma. These two are set to develop (in a positive way) by helping each other. I don't really see this in any of the other pairings you mentioned. They relate to the plot, but character wise, they seem to have pretty negative consequences.
I don't think their relationship is special comparing to others through. Ringo and Shouma will need to reflect over each other to overcome themselves ( Ringo to put her 'friend' life above her desire, while Shouma to face up their parents' victim). But that does not means that their relationship has to develop to be more than friend by the end through. (they can, but i means they don't have to)

I means if Ringo affection toward Shouma is just a device to get herself out of her illusion, to set up Shouma into his guilt post, to drive up Yuri's back story. Then it's very possible that in the end we will have something like Ringo will visit/invite the three sibling family for curry from time to time. Her role can be a family friend, to indicate that she overcame Momoka's shadow, while the siblings shows that they are no longer isolated. The open ending that directors love so much

In short the development of their relationship so far could be plot device. But the final outcome is not necessary to be one. Unless Ringo fate was tie down to Shouma, and it may kill her if they are ever separated
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 03:30   Link #59
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
What we already know is that it ended up to the hands of Himari's parents, who coincidentally blew her up in the name of fate
When did that happen. Little Ringo had the diary with her during Momoka's funeral, so there's no way Himari's parents could have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
during her flashback episode, she saw another girl wearing the penguin hat... they are going to be related somehow, and I am itching to see how
Another girl? Wasn't that Natsume's brother, Mario?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But that does not means that their relationship has to develop to be more than friend by the end through. (they can, but i means they don't have to)
I don't totally disagree with that, but we already have Ringo's feeling towards Shouma into the equation. So it's not as if the story wasn't pushing that way. Now it's time to see what will happen with Shouma.

On that vein:
Spoiler for novel spoiler:

I think if you put the pieces together, you can sort of see where this is going.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-10-22 at 03:40.
Kazu-kun is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 03:38   Link #60
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
When did that happen. Little Ringo had the diary with her during Momoka's funeral, so there's no way Himari's parents could have it.
I will recheck the episode with the parents background, but I remember they had the diary with them... but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Another girl? Wasn't that Natsume's brother, Mario?
OK, another kid at the aquarium... dunno if it was a male or female, with kids it does not matter anyway
Malkuth is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.