AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 73 46.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 37.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 9.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-22, 20:55   Link #61
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
The writer is not an amateur. It's boring to the reader to have to play along with a character while they deduce who someone is, when the reader already knows. It only works for Lancer and Berserker, because we did not know who they were upon introduction.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 20:58   Link #62
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
^ I think they meant into the characters figuring out, not the audience.
Considering how pretty much every Master seems to have familiars or whatever spying on every battle they manage to catch a glimpse of, I daresay it won't take long for the Servants' identities to become common knowledge for all the participants.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:03   Link #63
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post

You should be telling Shinbo that .
I don't know if you're just joking around here, but a writer can have as much impact on fight scenes as a director does. Even in a written form, combat can be presented in considerable detail.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:08   Link #64
Kaiba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The writer is not an amateur. It's boring to the reader to have to play along with a character while they deduce who someone is, when the reader already knows. It only works for Lancer and Berserker, because we did not know who they were upon introduction.
Well, like we said, we are more or less told the identity of six of the servants from the start, and really none of their identities were spoilers. Only Berserker's identity remains unknown.

And I am sad because I know I will never be as awesome as Rider.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:13   Link #65
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't know if you're just joking around here, but a writer can have as much impact on fight scenes as a director does. Even in a written form, combat can be presented in considerable detail.
No doubt, but directing has the largest impact on the fights (Well production values too of course). Consider the difference between this fight and the fights in the fate/stay night anime. There really was no good reason for such a disparity except for DEEN having a combination of poor directing and production values.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:16   Link #66
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Consider the difference between this fight and the fights in the fate/stay night anime. There really was no good reason for such a disparity except for DEEN having a combination of poor directing and production values.
Yeah, I agree with you there. Most of the fights in Fate/Stay Night weren't as good as the one in this episode was. And Lancer definitely came off as more impressive here in Fate/Zero than he did in Fate/Stay Night.

Honestly, in the original Fate/Stay Night, Lancer and Rider both felt like flashy jobbers to me, to put it in pro wrestling terms.

Here, Lancer comes across as a very serious threat, and someone who could conceivably defeat Saber.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:26   Link #67
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't know if you're just joking around here, but a writer can have as much impact on fight scenes as a director does. Even in a written form, combat can be presented in considerable detail.
I too was puzzled by your comment at first,but if you mean that the dialogue and tactics then I disagree because unlike Lancer and Saber, Sayaka and Kyoko are not tacticians. They're kind of like Rider: just dive ride in there without thinking

Also fate zero being novels I suppose they'll be more detailed than the scripts Urobuchi did for Madoka,in those he basicly just put "insert action scene here" and let the folks at shaft do whatever they wanted.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:42   Link #68
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I'm surprised to see so much negativity about the fight scenes, because I thought they were beautifully animated. Sword vs. spear is a goldmine for great choreography, as witness Balsa vs. The Hunters in Seirei no Moribito, which is probably the gold standard for weapons combat in a TV anime. I don't put this on that level, but it was damn good, and accomplished without a huge reliance on CGI. I didn't find the camera tricks obtrusive at all - I thought it was very stylish and reminiscent of classic martial arts live-action movies.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:52   Link #69
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"To win, but not destroy. To master, but not humiliate. That is true conquest!"

Solid as hell fight with Lancer being too eager showing Saber his spear; I hope to see more of this goodness. I guess there was a bit too much talking for my liking but it's certainly better than Deen/Don't Stay Night.

It was all overshadowed by Rider's epic entrance.

I have nothing else to say, so 8/10
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:56   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
And that was the moment when Iskendar took a sharp turn away from the historical Alexander, not that it really matters.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:11   Link #71
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I admit, the Assassin thing makes no sense. We just hear last episode that the Assassin class can remain undetected as their class trait.
Put it this way, a stealth bomber does not disappear into thin air right in front of you.
So apparently the magic barrier serves no purpose against scopes eh? :P
If not for those scopes, I doubt anyone would notice them.



Edit: Back on topic, love the strategic step-by-step, cat and mouse style kind of combat. Would expect to see more of a chaotic fight later as Rider joins the frame.
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:28   Link #72
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That just means other servants/masters can't sense their presence, not that they are invisible you know.
And, yet, Emiya didn't detect Assassin by happening to see him by accident, but by feeling his presence as cinematically illustrated by the "gust of wind".

I mean, it doesn't really bother me, and it's not going to stop my enjoyment of the show, but just pointing out this seeming inconsistency concerning Assassin.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:29   Link #73
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
that was some good grade fight scenes. Loved the choreography and boy was the animation top notch. I loved the whole "measuring up" style of fight they did carefully planning each attack. It was presented very well and although there was a lot of talking it didn't really detract much from the fight for me. Much of the talking added I think to the whole thought process of each warrior as they were planing there next strike.

As for Rider, nice speech, lol.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:35   Link #74
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
And, yet, Emiya didn't detect Assassin by happening to see him by accident, but by feeling his presence as cinematically illustrated by the "gust of wind".
What does a gust of wind have to do with being able to sense their presence?
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:38   Link #75
Zefris
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
I love the last part of the episode. Saber and Lancer spend over half the episode trying to figure out who each other were while Rider jumps in and acts like he's announcing his entrance along with his name to the world.

I think I'd be happier if the fights were more continuous rather than taking breaks every couple of blows. Hopefully it was done that way just to give us an idea of the problems and strategies servants have to consider in a battle, and future episodes would be a bit more fast-pace leaving that detail out.

A 9/10 for me.
Zefris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:38   Link #76
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Lancer didn't have any cheap moves until he used his NP. Saber hasn't used her's. Pretty sure that doesn't mean she doesn't have cheap moves.
By moves, I meant NPs. Sorry. And I know Saber hasn't used her's yet, but it's a rather straight forward attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, I agree with you there. Most of the fights in Fate/Stay Night weren't as good as the one in this episode was. And Lancer definitely came off as more impressive here in Fate/Zero than he did in Fate/Stay Night.
Fate had some excellent fights. Berserker was pretty awesome. If only they did Heaven's Feel... Shirou was super bad ass in those fights.

Quote:
Honestly, in the original Fate/Stay Night, Lancer and Rider both felt like flashy jobbers to me, to put it in pro wrestling terms.
Rider's outfit does look like something out of pro wrestling.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:41   Link #77
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
"To win, but not destroy. To master, but not humiliate. That is true conquest!"
That cracked me up... it's so out of character, Alexander among other other things burned Persepolis to the ground because "To win, but not destroy", raped pretty much every noble kid in his wake, because "To master, but not humiliate", and he died midway during his campaign, leaving his poor generals to to consolidate an overextended and stretched army/kingdom, because "That is true conquest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm surprised to see so much negativity about the fight scenes, because I thought they were beautifully animated. Sword vs. spear is a goldmine for great choreography, as witness Balsa vs. The Hunters in Seirei no Moribito, which is probably the gold standard for weapons combat in a TV anime. I don't put this on that level, but it was damn good, and accomplished without a huge reliance on CGI. I didn't find the camera tricks obtrusive at all - I thought it was very stylish and reminiscent of classic martial arts live-action movies.
If I can voice on slight complain about the figth is that spear are almost never swang, plus the makes a cross block with the wooden shafts to block a vertical medieval metal double-edged longsword swing... IRL, that would have destroyed both spears, and sent him to his grave or wherever he came from That block is though part of ni-to ryuu and extremely effective at that, but performed with metal swords and always at a slight angle to dissipate gently the force of the attack.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:44   Link #78
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
What does a gust of wind have to do with being able to sense their presence?
I'm trying to decide if you're purposefully being obtuse or not.

We have Assassin, who is supposed to be undetectable. Let's go with the definition where people can't sense their presence.

We have Emiya, about to take out Lancer's Master, when we have the "gust of wind". I called it a cinematic trick, because this is cinema, so unlike a novel where the author can just write, "Emiya senses Assassin", you need some sort of visual cue.

Emiya stops what he's doing, and points his gun straight at Assassin. Not sweeping around looking for the source of this presence he feels. But, straight at Assassin. So, not only does he feel Assassin's presence, he felt it so strongly he was able to immediately pinpoint Assassin's location. Now, we can chalk up his instantly locating Assassin due to his guess that the crane would be the best vantage point to watch what's going on, but that still doesn't answer how he detected the presence in the first place to cause him to stop his sniping and take a look at the crane.

Hence, my statement concerning Emiya being able to detect Assassin's presence when Assassin is supposed to be able to hide his presence.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:45   Link #79
sento
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That cracked me up... it's so out of character, Alexander among other other things burned Persepolis to the ground because "To win, but not destroy", raped pretty much every noble kid in his wake, because "To master, but not humiliate", and he died midway during his campaign, leaving his poor generals to to consolidate an overextended and stretched army/kingdom, because "That is true conquest"
That's historical Alexander, not mythical one (the one portrayed here with touchs of japanese hotblooded GARness.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
If I can voice on slight complain about the figth is that spear are almost never swang, plus the makes a cross block with the wooden shafts to block a vertical medieval metal double-edged longsword swing... IRL, that would have destroyed both spears, and sent him to his grave or wherever he came from That block is though part of ni-to ryuu and extremely effective at that, but performed with metal swords and always at a slight angle to dissipate gently the force of the attack.
NPs are conceptual weapons, as first episode said, so they are really difficult to break. Like magic swords +1 in Tabletop RPGs.
sento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 22:47   Link #80
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That cracked me up... it's so out of character, Alexander among other other things burned Persepolis to the ground because "To win, but not destroy", raped pretty much every noble kid in his wake, because "To master, but not humiliate", and he died midway during his campaign, leaving his poor generals to to consolidate an overextended and stretched army/kingdom, because "That is true conquest"
Yes, he was quite pissy when they didn't want to submit to him. And he had nothing more on his mind than conquest.

Of course, that's why we take liberties. =p
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.