AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Penguin Drum

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 27 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 34.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 17.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-22, 22:23   Link #181
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Age: 20
Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
No, that's only the case if the person is not emotionally averse to having sex with someone they aren't romantically committed to. Had Tabuki willingly fucked Ringo only to find out she wasn't Yuri, maybe he might've been emotionally harmed after all. However, in general I do have much higher standards for what would count as rape against men than against women.
Some guys wouldn't exactly OBJECT to waking up and having a girl on top of him, but it still technically counts as rape if the girl did it full knowing that he was knocked out, and she was completely drug/alcohol-free. How someone is effected by the rape doesn't make it NOT rape, it just makes the event not as awful as it could have been for the victim.

If you punch someone in the dick, but the victim of the punch didn't care, it doesn't mean the punch in the dick never happened!
Tjfarmer is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:24   Link #182
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Coercing another person into sex without their consent is rape - period. Ringo was about to rape Tabuki, Yuri was about to rape Ringo. I don't care to parse definitions for convenience when it comes to sexual assault.
And that was my point (before getting gang-rapped... metaphorically), Yuri was not coercing (rather seducing) Ringo, unless that drug was again magical and suddenly turned Ringo into a living dutch wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
If you punch someone in the dick, but the victim of the punch didn't care, it doesn't mean the punch in the dick never happened!
Which is different from asking to be punched
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:27   Link #183
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Because the motivation, circumstances, and relationships were totally different. I am sorry to point out that these magical drugs that Ringo used and is necessary to turn an unwilling person into a living sex toy do not exist in real life.
Date rape drugs are not "magical drugs" they are real & very illegal. If someone is found using them on a person; Well I don't know about Japan but in the US it is up to a 20 year sentence.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:28   Link #184
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
And that was my point (before getting gang-rapped... metaphorically), Yuri was not coercing (rather seducing) Ringo, unless that drug was again magical and suddenly turned Ringo into a living dutch wife
That's just wordplay. Whether you call it coercing or seducing, she put Ringo into an impaired state of consciousness in order to do it.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:30   Link #185
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
No it's not wordplay, they are two very different processes.
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:30   Link #186
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
No it's not wordplay, they are two very different processes.
No, it's wordplay. Explain the difference if it isn't?
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:31   Link #187
faburosumakusu
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
And that was my point (before getting gang-rapped... metaphorically), Yuri was not coercing (rather seducing) Ringo, unless that drug was again magical and suddenly turned Ringo into a living dutch wife
Even if she was trying to seduce her (which I disagree), she first had to drug her. I don't think that's a good definition of seduction personally.
faburosumakusu is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:32   Link #188
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Age: 20
Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
And that was my point (before getting gang-rapped... metaphorically), Yuri was not coercing (rather seducing) Ringo, unless that drug was again magical and suddenly turned Ringo into a living dutch wife
So slipping someone a drug counts as seducing?

Uhhhh.... what the fuck kinda seducing is that!?
Tjfarmer is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:35   Link #189
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
So slipping someone a drug counts as seducing?

Uhhhh.... what the fuck kinda seducing is that!?
The Quagmire kind.

But honestly, sure Ringo's an idiot and should know better-- It still doesn't justify anything else that's happening.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:37   Link #190
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
When under certain drugs, you can be both aware but unaware. While not exactly the best example, take anesthesia for example. When on it, you understand what is going on, but your ability to really do anything is inhibited. My last time on anesthesia, I could walk, talk, and understand, but my brain was essentially idle. Its hard to object when you're like this, but its easy to spout nonsense. Everything just becomes limp. Your movements, your thoughts, and your feelings.

Besides, its entirely possible the drug Yuri gave her was part aphrodisiac, which would make it even easier for Yuri to take advantage of Ringo. Essentially dull all her senses except her sex drive. Yuri's intent was to sexually take advantage of Ringo, which to me, counts as rape, regardless of the process it's done.
As far as anesthesia or alcohol, I agree that any drug which makes a person less aware of themselves has the potential of being used for rape. The important point then becomes the threshhold of "awareness" between when we judge a person as in control or not in control of themself. How much alcohol, how much anaesthesia? I proposed a hypothetical standard of "able to comprehend the consequences/implications of sex" in my post before.

I vaguely recollect that anesthesia and alcohol fall under a category known as "depressants"?

In contrast, as to the aphrodisiac, isn't it true that some people make use of aphrodisiacs to increase stimulation consensually? I do think it is obvious that aphrodisiacs make bodily resisting difficult, but I do not think that they have the ability to make even mental resistance impossible. If someone is given an aphrodisiac, it may indeed make it impossible for them to prevent the rape; however, from the perspective of anyone watching, such as the audience of a work of television, I think it should still be possible for them to identify whether the victim is resisting.

Finally, as regards Yuri, my point was that I actually do not see that Yuri's true desire was to take advantage of Ringo sexually. That's why I said, if she had gone through with it, then the rape would have been a tragedy for both her and Ringo. Yuri simply wants to revive/switch the fate of Momoka and be close to someone she loves again. Ringo in that way was an escape for her. The sex was not important to her in itself (and even then, I think; because she loved Momoka, Yuri would have wanted to make sure Ringo was enjoying it). However, if Yuri had proceeded to in fact drown herself in pleasure with Ringo she would also be denying her own true happiness. So I don't think that Yuri was any less pitiable than Ringo here, especially in light of her backstory.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Kill la Kill 75/5 :: Sakura Trick 100/5 :: Saki Zenkoku-hen 100/5 :: HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Mushishi OVA 100/5
Spring:
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:41   Link #191
faburosumakusu
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
As far as anesthesia or alcohol, I agree that any drug which makes a person less aware of themselves has the potential of being used for rape. The important point then becomes the threshhold of "awareness" between when we judge a person as in control or not in control of themself. How much alcohol, how much anaesthesia? I proposed a hypothetical standard of "able to comprehend the consequences/implications of sex" in my post before.

I vaguely recollect that anesthesia and alcohol fall under a category known as "depressants"?

In contrast, as to the aphrodisiac, isn't it true that some people make use of aphrodisiacs to increase stimulation consensually? I do think it is obvious that aphrodisiacs make bodily resisting difficult, but I do not think that they have the ability to make even mental resistance impossible.

Finally, as regards Yuri, my point was that I actually do not see that Yuri's true desire was to take advantage of Ringo sexually. That's why I said, if she had gone through with it, then the rape would have been a tragedy for both her and Ringo. Yuri simply wants to revive/switch the fate of Momoka and again be close to her. Ringo in that way was an escape for her. The sex was not important to her in itself (and even then; because she loved Momoka, Yuri would have wanted to make sure Ringo was enjoying it). However, if Yuri had proceeded to in fact drown herself in pleasure with Ringo she would also be denying her own true happiness. So I don't think that Yuri was any less pitiable than Ringo here, especially in light of her backstory.
But how do we even know how aware Ringo truly was? We know that Yuri must've made the calls to Shoma since Ringo was tied up. Hence, Yuri could've easily just told Ringo what to say. Also, the way Ringo talked to Shoma over the phone seemed to be out of character so I don't think she was very aware of what was going on.
faburosumakusu is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:51   Link #192
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
And that was my point (before getting gang-rapped... metaphorically), Yuri was not coercing (rather seducing) Ringo, unless that drug was again magical and suddenly turned Ringo into a living dutch wife



Which is different from asking to be punched
how is it seduction if she had to drug her?



Quote:
Finally, as regards Yuri, my point was that I actually do not see that Yuri's true desire was to take advantage of Ringo sexually. That's why I said, if she had gone through with it, then the rape would have been a tragedy for both her and Ringo. Yuri simply wants to revive/switch the fate of Momoka and again be close to her. Ringo in that way was an escape for her. The sex was not important to her in itself (and even then; because she loved Momoka, Yuri would have wanted to make sure Ringo was enjoying it).
more justification. whatever yuri's intentions were, such as using ringo as an escape, doesn't make the fact that she was about to take sexual advantage of ringo null. it doesn't even matter if she wanted ringo to "enjoy it" (which is crap really because how can you enjoy something you haven't CONSENTED to?). good on yuri for stopping herself but she was about to rape an underage girl.

i mean ringo's intentions for wanting to rape tabuki was to bring her family back together but that doesn't negate it still being attempted rape.
__________________
game of thrones | card captor sakura | misfits | honey & clover | breaking bad | NANA | the inbetweeners | afterschool nightmare | bokura ga ita | dexter |
mellomarie is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 22:59   Link #193
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Age: 20
Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The Quagmire kind.
Through use of truly awful Paint skills, everything suddenly makes sense.

Spoiler for Safety for your eyes:

(Don't think too hard about it)

Quote:
As far as anesthesia or alcohol, I agree that any drug which makes a person less aware of themselves has the potential of being used for rape. The important point then becomes the threshhold of "awareness" between when we judge a person as in control or not in control of themself. How much alcohol, how much anaesthesia? I proposed a hypothetical standard of "able to comprehend the consequences/implications of sex" in my post before.
Thats not exactly a good standard though. Clearly, Ringo was complete out of it, and it wasn't in her abilities to resist, so it should be considered rape.

Quote:
In contrast, as to the aphrodisiac, isn't it true that some people make use of aphrodisiacs to increase stimulation consensually? I do think it is obvious that aphrodisiacs make bodily resisting difficult, but I do not think that they have the ability to make even mental resistance impossible. If someone is given an aphrodisiac, it may indeed make it impossible for them to prevent the rape; however, from the perspective of anyone watching, such as the audience of a work of television, I think it should still be possible for them to identify whether the victim is resisting.
People do use them consensually, yes, but in this case Ringo wouldn't have done it consensually. But the whole possibility of an aphrodisiac is just conjecture, who the hell knows. All I saw was Ringo being loopy as all shit being nonsensical, while Yuri remained completely aware and was taking advantage of the state Ringo was in.

Quote:
Finally, as regards Yuri, my point was that I actually do not see that Yuri's true desire was to take advantage of Ringo sexually. That's why I said, if she had gone through with it, then the rape would have been a tragedy for both her and Ringo. Yuri simply wants to revive/switch the fate of Momoka and be close to someone she loves again. Ringo in that way was an escape for her. The sex was not important to her in itself (and even then, I think; because she loved Momoka, Yuri would have wanted to make sure Ringo was enjoying it). However, if Yuri had proceeded to in fact drown herself in pleasure with Ringo she would also be denying her own true happiness. So I don't think that Yuri was any less pitiable than Ringo here, especially in light of her backstory.
While her intentions might not have been purely for sexual reasons, it still stands that what she was trying to achieve involved raping Ringo.

I agree that Yuri is really pitiable, and I do understand her actions, but excuses don't always make up for the actions.
Tjfarmer is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:01   Link #194
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by faburosumakusu View Post
But how do we even know how aware Ringo truly was? We know that Yuri must've made the calls to Shoma since Ringo was tied up. Hence, Yuri could've easily just told Ringo what to say. Also, the way Ringo talked to Shoma over the phone seemed to be out of character so I don't think she was very aware of what was going on.
I already laid out where Ringo's phone dialogue came from and why it made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lol, let's lay out three things:

1. Yuri intended to rape Ringo
2. due to the influence of the drug, Ringo didn't mind
3. due to knowing that even if she didn't mind, being raped was not a good thing generally, Ringo decided to blame Shouma and his rejection of her (as the reason she didn't mind falling under the influence of the drug).
Actually, I find that the idea that Ringo's dialogue in the phone scene was all lead on by Yuri as opposed to some loose and uninhibited confession of what she was really feeling (as often happens when people fall under a drug's influence) is more unbelievable than not.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
Thats not exactly a good standard though. Clearly, Ringo was complete out of it, and it wasn't in her abilities to resist, so it should be considered rape.
Quote:
All I saw was Ringo being loopy as all shit being nonsensical, while Yuri remained completely aware and was taking advantage of the state Ringo was in.
This is the point where we apparently disagree. Due to her emotional state (having been tricked into allowing herself to be whisked off on a girl's night out due to her depression of being rejected by Shouma), I thought that what Ringo was saying/how she was acting actually made a lot of sense. That's why I came away with the impression that she was still at least somewhat in control of her faculties, and why she was thinking that if Yuri could make her feel good she might actually be better than that 'loser' (lol) who dumped her, Shouma.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Kill la Kill 75/5 :: Sakura Trick 100/5 :: Saki Zenkoku-hen 100/5 :: HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Mushishi OVA 100/5
Spring:
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-10-22 at 23:11.
Sol Falling is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:06   Link #195
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Wow, three quotes, give me a break, I am being flamed in another thread too... at least you guys are not calling me a troll, hater, but rather a dangerous !d!ot...

Anyway, so seduction vs coercing, very cynically put the first requires from the object to be either neutral or willing, while coercing assumes at a bare minimum that the object is negatively predisposed to any suggestion.

BUT if you really want to ask if both morally wrong, I they both are. That's why I disagreed with one of the posters some pages earlier that supported that since Yuri did not have sex with Ringo she is redeemable, as well as why I try to explain that whether the subject is guilty or not is irrelevant to the victim's intentions.

Or to make it more simple... YES is YES, NO is NO, but also the "I have no fucking clue what I want, so let's see how it goes" is neither!

In my opinion, save for the magic pills case (not alcohol and sleeping pills, phobicly labelled date rape drugs) started with a neutral (bordering positive) disposition and ended acting like she was enjoying the whole set-up, especially while she was ridiculing Shouma. Now if next episode she is confronted by Shouma about it, and immediately puts all the blame to Yuri, I am pretty sure we are going to have even more pages of flames at me. On the other hand, she might be more critical of herself, and Shouma being empathetic and caring will understand, and we'll have a very interesting couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
The Quagmire kind.

But honestly, sure Ringo's an idiot and should know better-- It still doesn't justify anything else that's happening.
Me neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by faburosumakusu View Post
But how do we even know how aware Ringo truly was? We know that Yuri must've made the calls to Shoma since Ringo was tied up. Hence, Yuri could've easily just told Ringo what to say.
This has been addressed by other posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faburosumakusu View Post
Also, the way Ringo talked to Shoma over the phone seemed to be out of character so I don't think she was very aware of what was going on.
No Ringo is selfish, fragile, and vengeful... her behaviour is totally in character.
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:18   Link #196
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
No it's not wordplay, they are two very different processes.
No it's not. Using a drug to induce someone to "consent" to being raped doesn't mean it isn't rape. If the person is drugged, it's not consensual. If it's not consensual, it's rape.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:20   Link #197
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Ah! those magic drugs again
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:21   Link #198
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Anyway, so seduction vs coercing, very cynically put the first requires from the object to be either neutral or willing, while coercing assumes at a bare minimum that the object is negatively predisposed to any suggestion.
And exactly why I called it wordplay. You're using seduction in order to establish that she was either willing or neutral, which is extremely debatable and hasn't been establish at all, without addressing the use of drugs in order to make her that way. You'd have to address if a person in such a state could be deemed able to make such a distinction between actually be willing or unwilling. In fact she had to use a drug could just be justifiably said to be coercion because it was done without the other person knowledge and it having the same negative connotation applied.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:23   Link #199
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Where does this "magic" bullshit come from? Even if you discount getting someone drunk or high enough so that they aren't even aware of what's going on as assault (and I don't discount it - it is assault) date rape drugs exist. There are many of them and they aren't "magic" or some kind of PC fantasy, but a medical fact.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2011-10-22, 23:24   Link #200
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Ah! those magic drugs again
I don't know if you understand how drugs work on the brains chemistry and effect peoples judgement or if your just willfully blind to it. You seem to think the drugs have nothing to do with her actions afterwards which just doesn't make sense to me.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.