AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 73 46.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 37.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 9.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-23, 01:55   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
First excellent episode for me. We're finally down to the fighting and finally I'm starting to get a bit more of a sense of what people see in Yuki Kaijura since she finally brought what I'd describe as an A-Game to an episode. The music is definitely noticeable in this one and I'm happy to finally say that.

The fight itself was a bit slow, but considering they are still basically feeling each other out and reveling in the opportunity to take part in Deadliest Warrior: The Anime that's kind of to be expected. The way they shot the shit and made fancy flashy moves while making use of technical jargon reminds one of a textbook mecha or shonen fighting anime pre-battle. This is fine by me, especially when it's paced pretty well.

Iksander continues to steal the show for me every time he shows up and this time he literally stole the show in the end by interrupting the Saber vs. Lancer fight. I can't get enough of this character, he's just that manly and amusing. In any case things are still moving a bit slow, but I'm starting to become okay with this pace. I wouldn't mind just a little more development for some of the characters and less prolonged jargon filled talking scenes with Kirei and Tokiomi in the near future though as they sort of disrupt the flow of the battle scenes which serve to fill the meat of the story. It's not that I mind the scenes themselves, they just tend to go on a bit too long for my tastes.

Anyway hoping we'll get to see Iksander fight next episode and find out whether his fighting ability is as awesome as his booming proclamations for CONQUEST!
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 02:05   Link #102
TrueKnight

Good ep. Don’t like the way they talk during the fight and providing descriptions or confirmations on their own weapon’s ability... I found it dumb having seen recent UFC’s and K-1 fights. But since its anime I’ll let it go.

Alexander win this episode alone for me.... so badass. The most well-known conqueror among the FSN servants IRL, where other servants did pathetically compared to what Alexander did in terms of battles and creating an empire back then. Hmmm on his sexuality he was most likely bisexual but I guess they won’t dwell deep on it.

Also in history medieval battles focusses on the use of spears, be it Europe, China, Japan, or India. Swords were considered only as a back-up weapon or only used for ceremonies. Maybe I should mention missile weapons like composite bows since Mongols were invicible with their horse archers which created a massive empire.

I think in the future FSN need to introduce heroes as good as Alexander, conquerors like Genghis Khan, Kubilai Khan, Cao Cao, Yong Le of Ming, Julius Caesar, Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire, Basil II of Byzantine, Saladin, Suleiman of Ottoman or Oda Nobunaga. These guys were far more badass historically than the available FSN servants, except for Alexander.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 02:11   Link #103
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The preview for the next episode makes future prospects even more exciting. I can't for the life of me figure out who says that "At last, I have been revived!" line, but with Gilgamesh's final one and the episode's title it seems we might see Archer and Berserker join in on the action (this is one of those things that I really and particularly don't want novel readers to confirm). If so, episode 5 should be off the hook, can't wait.
Hmm, my translation says, "You have been revived, at last!" and given the hints in the form of the title, stigmata, and unknown voice (we've known all the voices of the main Masters and Servants so far sans one), I think we have a pretty safe bet who says that. Although, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would say that to another person unless ... they know each other?
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 02:12   Link #104
Forsaken_Infinity

I don't know. I expected a lot more but what I did get wasn't half bad - especially compared to most stuff out there - either. Meh. I hope for better camera angles and movement in the upcoming fights. This one was kind of dull.

Regardless, pumped up for what is at store for next episode. No, I am not telling you lol. Would be very bad mannered of me to spoil that.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 02:14   Link #105
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@TrueKnight: hehe, n00b, I miss those days back in 2004 when I was struggling with a 56K modem from cafe to cafe to get info on the new TM game... Oh! WTF! Join Date: Jun 2004?!?!?

J/King

For they revived one (whether 1st or 2nd singular in the translation)... my bet is on Berserker
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 02:31   Link #106
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Great to see the Servants finally in battle. I never fail to get struck by the sheer seriousness and professionalism of The Fourth Holy Grail War; everyone is basically coordinating and keeping up on tabs with each other, unlike F/SN.

Saber and Lancer's battle was an exciting watch; I was hoping for some epic music to pop in during the fight scene (OK, there was music, but not much, as if it was only to reinforce the suspense, the aura of the battle) but the movements of the Servants, such as Lancer flipping his spears here and there, were pretty eye-catching, so overall the battle scene was well done.

And Rider never fails to crack me up. Plus, the epic music I was expecting played only during his arrival at Saber and Lancer's battleground.

Can't wait for the next episode. 8/10 (minus one for the wait :P)
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 03:03   Link #107
giorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
(I assume it's not never or she'll bleed out before the war is done)
servants are spirits, they can't die of blood loss...it's not even a real hindrance, in fact...

as for the assassin part, if you want an explanation that makes sense: the gust of wind was generated by his movement(he just arrived on the scene), hence why kiritsugu(who was already keeping tabs on the crane) looked in that direction...

btw: magical barrier--->boundary field, basically it's a barrier put over the whole area to keep normal people away...like what kaori and styil put up in toaru the first time kaori attacked touma...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 03:08   Link #108
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
A 9/10 for me.

Because this shows why Grail War IS SERIOUS BUSINESS. I don't have complaints regarding long distance shots and talking heads, being used to this in old school samurai movies or Sergio Leone's movies. I like to think of this fight as an appetizer for the next parts, in a "You liked this fight? More like this or better WILL come!" way.

It was carefully crafted, weaving the phase where every parties tried to figure out each other and where the fast and furious played out together. But even the action itself did not come out as mindless, for a dropped spear or a cast off armor proved to be very important later on. It also showed why finding out the Servants identity IS crucial for a battle, knowing the identity helps to know the artefacts, then the strengths and weaknesses related to them. Not just Deen, but others studios I will not name but people can guess, should take note. This is one of the ways to direct good fighting scenes.

I like this incarnation of Saber even more, but Lancer is also gaining my respect and Rider is awesome each time he steals the spotlight. Zero Rider is the best Rider.

Also did I mention the music? I could recognize the signature notes and tones used by Yuki Kajiura in the better tracks of the OST of Noir, Mai Hime and the Hokuto no Ken movies, in despite of my weak knowledge regarding how to read tabs. I guess years of listening instrumentals paid off.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 03:41   Link #109
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

I'm really starting to have one of those "I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from..." moments. Anyhow, the episode was as good as I expected. As we can 'hear' from all those characters in the next episode, we can be sure that we are up for some awesome episode next week.
Old 2011-10-23, 04:02   Link #110
Tom Bombadil

Episode tsukkomi by cha研

In this episode Saber flies like a rocket propelled by the magic power released through the sword.

So when she closes in on lancer and swings her sword,

shouldn't she swirls sideways and knock into the wall?

Lancer: what a blunder!
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:03   Link #111
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol, Rocket Saber. XD

But seriously, I think it was just a single blast that sent flying, not a continuous one.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-10-23 at 07:15.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:04   Link #112
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I don't get the complain for the fight, the fight was friggin' excellent... very well animated n have great choreo, certainly one of the best fight in anime that we see in years. Seriously sometime the good getting bashed n the bad getting praised for this anime.

BUT this episode (outside the fight) pissed me of the most, this shoot from distance can't be used more worse than this, n scene with Tohsaka talking was just purely FRAUD. One scene with no movement at all with almost no background behind him, WTF is that?

Seriously even with this simplified char design that should make everything easier they still manage to being this cheap, colour me disappointed. I hope this just gimmick to sell the BD-Box, n they will give fix for this no matter that sounds very cheap or not, so be its.
Old 2011-10-23, 04:55   Link #113
fedor mma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Good ep. Don’t like the way they talk during the fight and providing descriptions or confirmations on their own weapon’s ability... I found it dumb having seen recent UFC’s and K-1 fights. But since its anime I’ll let it go.

Also in history medieval battles focusses on the use of spears, be it Europe, China, Japan, or India. Swords were considered only as a back-up weapon or only used for ceremonies. Maybe I should mention missile weapons like composite bows since Mongols were invicible with their horse archers which created a massive empire.
This is false actually. Swords were difficult to make and difficult to master. They are associated with the warrior caste (knights,samurai, men at arms,etc) because these guys were full time warriors. "Other weapons were certainly more numerous on the battlefield but the sword was still a primary weapon of choice for close-combat precisely due to its versatility and effectiveness against a range of different opponents, armored or unarmored, foot or mounted" (source: The Association for Renaissance martial arts ARMA).Also, the mongols were badass but not invincible. the Mamluks say "HI"
An anime fight about superpowered warriors is obviously not going to look like a real life MMA or kickboxing fight. However, with that said the fight was well designed with thought put into distance, weight, footwork and speed. My one complaint would be that they could have emphasized the speed of the servants more since they are supposed to move several times faster than sound. For now, I will pretend were watching through slow mo.
fedor mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 05:29   Link #114
DreXav
Amused one.

I could turn gay for dat lancer. He's made of win.
Old 2011-10-23, 05:43   Link #115
TrueKnight

@fedor mma

Not disrespecting the ARMA guys as they are good and competent fellows on their field, as I have engaged with them in similar discussion about medieval European close ranged weapons in other european arms and armors forums, but a real medieval war is completely different than a highly romanticised and glorified swordplay between warriors. Cavalry with spears and missile weaponry (bows and archers) were always the decisive factors in a medieval wars. In Europe starting from the day of Karl (Charles) Martel where disciplined soldiers formed a spear column in repelling the invasion of the Emirate of Cordoba , until the renaissance area where spears were used as decisive victory factors by the Landsknecht, Tercio, the Ottaman Turkish Jannissaries and the most formidable of them all (imho at least), the Swiss Mercenary Pikemen.

Mongols were halted not only by Mamluks, but also by the Japanese and the Majapahit Empire (Javanese). But I say they were invincible because no other empire back then manage to match the sheer mobility of their troops in supplying logistic and their battle prowess in combat using their bows and highly mobile horse archers.

And on how hard to make a sword it depends on where you made them. In medieval Japan steels were hard to get, so making sword was considered a delicacy. It means if you want to make a sword, you better make a damn good one. This was why when Japan exported their swords to China in ( I think around the 1200-1400) the Chinese were impressed by the quality of their swords. Quite contrast with Europe or Chinese where steels were quire abundant so sword were quite handful back then and they produced alot of far more swords than Japan. However a good European sword is also equally good and similar quality wise to a good Japanese sword.

But again, this is anime, and I don’t expect it to be the same as real life. I enjoy the show already as I have right now.
Old 2011-10-23, 06:04   Link #116
fedor mma

Judging by the preview of the next ep "howl of the mad beast", we are going to have some berserker join the fun. Saber, Lancer, rider, and berserker on the field at the same time is going to be awesome. and to think we have 20+ ep to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
@fedor mma.
The main point I was addressing was that swords were not sidearms but weapons in their own right. They were'nt the be all end all weapons but they were used and used often. Charging cavalry often used swords after they shatter their lance against the enemy. An swords were used by unmounted knights and men at arms very often. in late middle ages 2 handed swords used by heavily armored troops become common, The Landsknecht and other mercenaries often had troops with 2handed swords in the frontlines. But know we are kinda off topic
fedor mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 06:18   Link #117
Soraya21

Great episode, probably its only demerit was that the music was unsuitable and too distracting at key points during the battle scenes. I too very much liked the fight between Lancer & Saber. There was nothing flashy about it, just outstanding calligraphy and play-by-play action between the two.
Soraya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 06:20   Link #118
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Enjoyed the Saber vs Lancer fight. Who did she say he really was i missed it? SO Saber's wound won't heal for the whole grail war? Lol at Iskander giving away his class and name as an introduction. Best entrance ever though. There is no way Waver can keep him under control.
Saber's wound will hopefully find a way to heal. Though I expect that they probably wouldn't be able to upgrade her to a mechanical prosthetic, since those likely could be only equipped to the Berserker class.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 06:30   Link #119
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedor_mma
An swords were used by unmounted knights and men at arms very often. in late middle ages 2 handed swords used by heavily armored troops become common, The Landsknecht and other mercenaries often had troops with 2handed swords in the frontlines.
Yes thats why this re-enforced my previous post as they were primarily used as back-up weapons. The 2 handers Landsknecht (the Doppelsoldnel) as you stated were in minimum and only primarily used to break up pike columns, but again, these units were only secondary to their fellow pike/spears users, who were, the undisputed backbone of the high-end medieval army.

And yeah...this is off topic..... To be frank, in episode 4, I like how the spears are played, leet..
Old 2011-10-23, 07:13   Link #120
ookamigirl

Saber vs Lancer. Nice fight.
This was a pretty serious fight, were those two really went all out.
Really interesting episode with lots of action.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote