AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-17, 05:39   Link #1
smrkec

In need of some light Novel titles

I started an of job where I have to use a bus to get there and back home and this takes a lot of time. I feel it is a waste to just stare at the same things over and over again so I chose to read novels from here. I finished with Zero no Tsukaima with summaries provided from serenade beta (thank you man) and now I don't know for what I should go next. I would hate it if I would spend hours reading something that in the end I would not like and that is why Iím asking you guys for your suggestions.

What I basically like is a good story like from Code Geass or Death Note It can have some action like Samurai Chlampoo but stuff like Bleach or One Piece are not my taste especially if it has no end in sight. I do also like nice stuff as Clannad but those are rarely good. Of course ecchi is kinda a must have from time to time or it just isn't fun. I had a lot of fun and still have with KissxSis and To love Ru darkness. Hack if something similar to those two I would like it as well. Easy read that puts a smile to your face in this time and age is always welcoming.

So if you can help me out here and maybe give me some titles that come from the top of your mind and have left a lasting impression I would really appreciate it.

Anyway thank you for your time.
Old 2011-10-17, 17:28   Link #2
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I highly recommend the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels. The way that they portray time travel is great, and especially in the later novels, knowledge of physics, mathematics, philosophy or literature will make you enjoy certain references more. The characters are great too.
Old 2011-10-17, 20:42   Link #3
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrkec View Post
I started an of job where I have to use a bus to get there and back home and this takes a lot of time. I feel it is a waste to just stare at the same things over and over again so I chose to read novels from here. I finished with Zero no Tsukaima with summaries provided from serenade beta (thank you man) and now I don't know for what I should go next. I would hate it if I would spend hours reading something that in the end I would not like and that is why Iím asking you guys for your suggestions.

What I basically like is a good story like from Code Geass or Death Note It can have some action like Samurai Chlampoo but stuff like Bleach or One Piece are not my taste especially if it has no end in sight. I do also like nice stuff as Clannad but those are rarely good. Of course ecchi is kinda a must have from time to time or it just isn't fun. I had a lot of fun and still have with KissxSis and To love Ru darkness. Hack if something similar to those two I would like it as well. Easy read that puts a smile to your face in this time and age is always welcoming.

So if you can help me out here and maybe give me some titles that come from the top of your mind and have left a lasting impression I would really appreciate it.

Anyway thank you for your time.
before making a suggestion, what language do you read your light novels in?
Old 2011-10-17, 20:51   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
before making a suggestion, what language do you read your light novels in?
Given that he had to read Serenade's summary of ZnT, I would say that limits it to just English.

And there's only a couple of series that are completely translation into English that would last him a long time

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-10-17 at 22:06.
Old 2011-10-17, 21:59   Link #5
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

only ones that are completely translated or caught up in English are:
Index
Fate/Zero
Toradora
Hakomari
Infinite Stratos

No offense to IS fans, but the top 4 are especially good.
My personal favorites ranking would be
1. Fate/Zero
2. Hakomari
3. Index
4. Toradora

can't rank IS since I only glance through them and read summaries.
Old 2011-10-18, 00:43   Link #6
ProfileOF
Dame Ningen

1. Fate/Zero. Actually the anime adapt from this light novel is on air. I'm not sure whether you are familiar with the Fate series, the series is among the three top-class Doujin productions. The main story is the hidden magic war between 7 magicians for the only and almighty Holy Grail. There is a series section in Anime Discussion -> Current Series and you can get more detailed information.

2.Full Metal Panic. This volumed novel is rather long and finally ended several months ago. The story is a science fiction happens in the present world. A teenage soilder is sent by a secret military organization (named Mithril) which belongs to no government to protect a girl of the same age. The boy has to pilot a humanoid robot (Arm Slave) to fight against other forces. If you are fond of military materials this novel should not be missed. Also there are many funny plots. BTW there are 3 seasons of adapted animation.

3.The Twelve Kingdoms. Another long volumed novel, with fantastic oriental style. A schoolgirl is chased by monsters and enters the world of the Twelve Kingdoms. As time goes on she finds that there is a strong relationship between herself and the new world. In different volumes there are differernt dramatis personae and the highlight of the novel is the delicate ancient oriental world. The adapted animation was on air from 2002 to 2003.

4.Baccano! This novel is like a bunch of twisted threads, the story is composed through multiple charactors' view and the time line is disrupted. Generally it is a NewYork mafia story in early19th century with some supernatural elements and the characters' personalities are really charming. Anime aired in 2007.

5.Durarara! Sharing the same author with Baccano! and the style remains, story takes place in Ikebukuro district of Tokyo and present world. Anime aired in 2010. Better taste after Baccano!

6.A Song of Ice and Fire. Actually this is not a light novel but an epic fantacy production. Best western novel I have ever read. 5 books out of 7 are finished and released, teaching you a cruel and real world of knights and swords, dragons and ghosts, poisons and conspiracies, bloodline and death. Strongly recommended!
Old 2011-10-18, 03:07   Link #7
smrkec

Yes sadly I am limited to English / German / my EU home language >.> I am an anime guy in general so I'm very familiar with all well known animes like Fate/Zero that just started right now or the Twelve Kingdoms which was a great anime but kinda faded as it went along and she became the Queen or Baccano, Durarara (haha the strong guy always made me do a happy face ^_^) as well as full metal panic (OVA-s are the best xD). Oow there is a novel about Infinite Stratos? That even has a decent story to make a novel? As I saw it it always felt like an anime that just gives service to the male population basically and those almost never have a good story.

Of course the anime Queen we all know and love Haruhi Suzumiya I saw as well but the part you tolled where in the end it gets more complicated got my interest. Is it in English?

Now I do know that Novels have always more content than an anime and like Zero No Tsukaima the Novel version is far better than the rushed anime version. So if the Novel is different from anime I feel like it's worth reading it. For now all listed I only don't know anything of is Hakomari.

So if there are no other possibilities for me I guess I could try that one or if you guys tell me that even if I watched something it’s still worth reading the Novel version as well. Sadly in my country watching anime in public is kinda a no no or I would watch those on bus.

It’s also interesting how anime episodes are being translated in a matter of days as for these novels. I guess it shows where the interests of general public is >.>

Anyway thank you all so far for the help and if you have any more suggestions for me please do not hold back ^_^
Old 2011-10-18, 05:10   Link #8
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Yes sadly I am limited to English / German / my EU home language >.> I am an anime guy in general so I'm very familiar with all well known animes like Fate/Zero that just started right now or the Twelve Kingdoms which was a great anime but kinda faded as it went along and she became the Queen or Baccano, Durarara (haha the strong guy always made me do a happy face ^_^) as well as full metal panic (OVA-s are the best xD). Oow there is a novel about Infinite Stratos? That even has a decent story to make a novel? As I saw it it always felt like an anime that just gives service to the male population basically and those almost never have a good story.

Of course the anime Queen we all know and love Haruhi Suzumiya I saw as well but the part you tolled where in the end it gets more complicated got my interest. Is it in English?

Now I do know that Novels have always more content than an anime and like Zero No Tsukaima the Novel version is far better than the rushed anime version. So if the Novel is different from anime I feel like it's worth reading it. For now all listed I only don't know anything of is Hakomari.

So if there are no other possibilities for me I guess I could try that one or if you guys tell me that even if I watched something itís still worth reading the Novel version as well. Sadly in my country watching anime in public is kinda a no no or I would watch those on bus.

Itís also interesting how anime episodes are being translated in a matter of days as for these novels. I guess it shows where the interests of general public is >.>

Anyway thank you all so far for the help and if you have any more suggestions for me please do not hold back ^_^
Firstly, I apologize for using the abbreviations by habit. Hakomari = Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Secondly, while of course public interest plays a part, I would say it's also because of the interest of translators, since anime is translated in a matter of days because it's easier to translate. It's the same with manga. Never translated an anime before, but most translators should be able to translate a chapter of a 20-25 page manga in a matter of few hours (depending on number of speech bubbles of course); even faster if they are very familiar with the onomatopoeia and mimesis which are heavily used in manga. But the reason why novels are translated so slowly is because they are hard to translate and extremely demanding on time, many times more than an anime or manga for the same amount of plot content. In anime and manga, most of the time, only speech language is used. In comparison to that, for novels, there are narrations and descriptions (which are replaced by art in anime and manga), and these are longer, more flowery sentences that require more thinking time to render in English. Just imagine 5 pages of words describing a fight scene which lasts for 1 to 2 minutes in an anime where hardly anything is being spoken. That's about an hour or so of work for most proficient translators, while the anime translator probably just take a few minutes for the groans and screams. No offense to fansubbers, just stating a fact You probably are not aware, , but there are many brave souls who have attempted to translate light novels due to growing public interest but have given up due to the sheer amount of work. Of course, none of us will blame them because we understand it perfectly.
Old 2011-10-18, 05:37   Link #9
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:

You can purchase the first five novels using amazon.co.uk or amazon.de(I looked to see if the fifth novel was released in Europe as I know the first five were released in North America, and the sixth is coming out in North America in November). I imagine other booksellers might have them too. FYI, the anime has covered all of the first four books(Melancholy, Sigh, Boredom, Disappearance), two thirds of the fifth(Rampage; Snowy Mountain Syndrome has not been animated yet) and two fifths of the sixth(Wavering; At First Sight, Where Did The Cat Go, and the Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina have yet to be animated).

Since the Haruhi novels are licensed, I cannot tell you where to find the unofficial English translations. You could probably find them yourself by searching Google though.
Old 2011-10-18, 07:08   Link #10
smrkec

Of course how could I have forgotten that? Of course the Novel has to describe everything as expressions / feeling, locations, characters, their movements, actions. Aaah how could I miss that ^_^. I guess watching anime gets you spoiled.

I also read some fan based work some time ago regarding Ranma 1/2 anime but the universe was quite different only the starting characters were the same that than evolved to different possibilities. Like the work of Jim Bader. I take it if I would go look for those I would probably find a lot of them. But Fan based is not like licensed ones.

Well I will probably pick something soon from given suggestions here in next few days.
Old 2011-10-18, 08:13   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Two of the Moribito novels have been translated into English. The first became an impressive anime series. The second has not yet been adapted.
Old 2011-10-18, 14:44   Link #12
ProfileOF
Dame Ningen

= =it seems that I underestimate your level quite seriously...
Actually haremu is not my favor so productions like IS, Zero no Tsukaima are not recommended.
Two more options.
<9S>, a Si-Fi boy-meet-girl mode work and <Spice and Wolf>, telling the journey of a merchant and a wolf goddess in a shape of a girl.
If these two are still not new to you, the last one I could offer is <To Aru Hikūshi e no Tsuioku>. A mercenary pilot who takes on an assignment to protect a girl.
Old 2011-10-18, 16:03   Link #13
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
When you are reading LN without any knowledge of the Japanese language, you can't really be picky. Out of the ones that don't have an anime adaption and is translated, I like Zaregoto series(2 Volumes translated) and the Mushi to Medama(Eye dee kay how much volume translated). Other than that, not much. You are more likely to find what you are interested in if you just wanted to see a continuation of the series after watching the anime. Personally I also like watching the anime better reading a translated version of the novel. Otherwise just read the synopsis before getting started.
Old 2011-10-18, 19:26   Link #14
Undertaker

If you are looking at comedy, Baka Test is a good choice, though I don't know it's English availability.

Action-wise I 'll second Full Metal Panic and 9S.
Old 2011-10-20, 01:54   Link #15
smrkec

Okay thank you guys. I will start reading on some of these titles.

^_^ have a nice day all
Old 2011-10-23, 15:43   Link #16
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Here are some of my personal favorites:

Accel World
Sword Art Online (SAO)
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukanai
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners
Golden Time (Written by the author of Toradora)
Alice and Masayoshi are Indifferent