AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-11-30, 05:44   Link #1
ssjvackar

Final Fantasy AMV

Hi, this is for all you guys you love final fantasy amvs, check it out and let me know what you think

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...fo.php?v=46457
ssjvackar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 20:36   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ok, I got to watch this finally and it's good, but I wanted to point out some things that could have served to have been changed.

1. The flash transitions are a nice touch, but they're used a bit too much to the point of becoming annoying. Same goes for your use of pulse faid transitions. They're too often and they don't do much to help the anime. If you were going to do them, I'd suggest waiting for a point where you'd have one bar transitions, IE 4 beats per pulse transition. Yours were every 2 beats and thats hard on the eyes. To get a feel for the 4 beat transition with this song thing to yourself "Yaaah-boom-(short pause)" IE the 4 beat rythem was moving at about a 1.5 to 1.75 second transition per bar. (if you can't tell I'm also a musician, trumpet to be exact, hence I tend to hear this stuff a little more clearly) and it's running at about 90 beats per minute to roughly guess off the top of my head. Maybe 100. Your pulse faid transitions were timed more for a beat of about 160. Another way to think of this timing is to think about this beat is to use the extended time counter method. IE saying "one one thousand one, two one thousand two." It extends the normal one second count by half a second or so because normally your mind will do "one one thousand, two one thousand, etc" in rythem with no pauses. Using the extended second count there's a natural pause at the end of about a quarter to half a second that your brain puts in their instinctively. That'll give you the beat rythem of that song fairly well and should help you with those faid transitions and pulse transitions.

On a side note though, I'd cut out about 2/3rds of them that you used and keep them for points where the action is changing in rythem with the beat. I think it would fit better. On the others just use normal frame transitions. IE let one scene change into another with no special effects. IAE: just a normal scene cutover. Like for example in the opening that worked pretty good for about the first 8 seconds then they got a bit excessive.

2. At 00:44 up to 00:50 sec, that was very well done. You used the pulse faid transition and it was timed right on the downbeat and that worked out great. 00:51-00:53 kinda killed all that you gained, but for the most part that was good. That's a good example of what I suggested in #1 as one of my examples.

3. At 01:04 your faid to black is good and works well, but it's too long. It goes all the way up to 01:06:30 which obviously is only 2 1/2 seconds, but it breaks the flow of the previous segment. I'd say that a faid to black of 8 frames, a hold at black for half a second, then a reverse faid of 8 frames would make that transition work perfectly.

4. The faid ins and outs after that are very well done. Big thumbs up on this. One minor critique though. Your first two faids are great. Probubly a 40 frame faidout, then an equal faid in done twice. This does a great job of setting the mood to whats happening on the screen, then you promptly kill it in faid 3 because you went from a long pulse faid to two sharp ones then back to a long faid. I would have stayed with long pulse faids through that whole segment there. But that's my suggestion, you of course may see it differently, but whenever you do a segment, you want to build a particular "feel" to it, then relay that through your editing. The music already sets part of this, the animation sets another part, then your special editing caps it all off. Know what you want the viewer to feel when you do a segment like this and try to stay consistent across everything.

5. From 01:20 onward you do a lot of the same things I mentioned above so I won't recap those. There is one new thing though that you do that I wanted to point out. You do your pulse faids based on the downbeat of the base guitar. It's good you cued off that, but it's always best to cue off the drums because it's the drums that sets the beat and rythem for the entire band and the song. If you don't also cue off that, it'll make your stuff seem out of place. Also, try to be consistant in what you pick as your focus change reference, be it the down beat or a regular stacato accent point. Interestingly enough this song uses a "daa-daa-boom" method for the base drum that the drummer uses to set the beat. The boom occurs on the second downstroke (3rd beat) of 4 in the bar and thus is not the normal downbeat most people vocus on, but given the animation being used and the song, that's actually the better count to use.

Don't think I'm picking on you one bit. Just trying to provide some insight from my own experiences. Overall it's a good AMV, but there are a few things that could be changed to make the video even better, a lot of which I recommended. Also, good choice of songs for the video. It fits well. It'll have even more power in there if you apply a few of the suggestions I listed above. Good job.
Old 2004-12-02, 05:05   Link #3
ssjvackar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Ok, I got to watch this finally and it's good, but I wanted to point out some things that could have served to have been changed.

1. The flash transitions are a nice touch, but they're used a bit too much to the point of becoming annoying. Same goes for your use of pulse faid transitions. They're too often and they don't do much to help the anime. If you were going to do them, I'd suggest waiting for a point where you'd have one bar transitions, IE 4 beats per pulse transition. Yours were every 2 beats and thats hard on the eyes. To get a feel for the 4 beat transition with this song thing to yourself "Yaaah-boom-(short pause)" IE the 4 beat rythem was moving at about a 1.5 to 1.75 second transition per bar. (if you can't tell I'm also a musician, trumpet to be exact, hence I tend to hear this stuff a little more clearly) and it's running at about 90 beats per minute to roughly guess off the top of my head. Maybe 100. Your pulse faid transitions were timed more for a beat of about 160. Another way to think of this timing is to think about this beat is to use the extended time counter method. IE saying "one one thousand one, two one thousand two." It extends the normal one second count by half a second or so because normally your mind will do "one one thousand, two one thousand, etc" in rythem with no pauses. Using the extended second count there's a natural pause at the end of about a quarter to half a second that your brain puts in their instinctively. That'll give you the beat rythem of that song fairly well and should help you with those faid transitions and pulse transitions.

On a side note though, I'd cut out about 2/3rds of them that you used and keep them for points where the action is changing in rythem with the beat. I think it would fit better. On the others just use normal frame transitions. IE let one scene change into another with no special effects. IAE: just a normal scene cutover. Like for example in the opening that worked pretty good for about the first 8 seconds then they got a bit excessive.

2. At 00:44 up to 00:50 sec, that was very well done. You used the pulse faid transition and it was timed right on the downbeat and that worked out great. 00:51-00:53 kinda killed all that you gained, but for the most part that was good. That's a good example of what I suggested in #1 as one of my examples.

3. At 01:04 your faid to black is good and works well, but it's too long. It goes all the way up to 01:06:30 which obviously is only 2 1/2 seconds, but it breaks the flow of the previous segment. I'd say that a faid to black of 8 frames, a hold at black for half a second, then a reverse faid of 8 frames would make that transition work perfectly.

4. The faid ins and outs after that are very well done. Big thumbs up on this. One minor critique though. Your first two faids are great. Probubly a 40 frame faidout, then an equal faid in done twice. This does a great job of setting the mood to whats happening on the screen, then you promptly kill it in faid 3 because you went from a long pulse faid to two sharp ones then back to a long faid. I would have stayed with long pulse faids through that whole segment there. But that's my suggestion, you of course may see it differently, but whenever you do a segment, you want to build a particular "feel" to it, then relay that through your editing. The music already sets part of this, the animation sets another part, then your special editing caps it all off. Know what you want the viewer to feel when you do a segment like this and try to stay consistent across everything.

5. From 01:20 onward you do a lot of the same things I mentioned above so I won't recap those. There is one new thing though that you do that I wanted to point out. You do your pulse faids based on the downbeat of the base guitar. It's good you cued off that, but it's always best to cue off the drums because it's the drums that sets the beat and rythem for the entire band and the song. If you don't also cue off that, it'll make your stuff seem out of place. Also, try to be consistant in what you pick as your focus change reference, be it the down beat or a regular stacato accent point. Interestingly enough this song uses a "daa-daa-boom" method for the base drum that the drummer uses to set the beat. The boom occurs on the second downstroke (3rd beat) of 4 in the bar and thus is not the normal downbeat most people vocus on, but given the animation being used and the song, that's actually the better count to use.

Don't think I'm picking on you one bit. Just trying to provide some insight from my own experiences. Overall it's a good AMV, but there are a few things that could be changed to make the video even better, a lot of which I recommended. Also, good choice of songs for the video. It fits well. It'll have even more power in there if you apply a few of the suggestions I listed above. Good job.

WOW, thanks for the critisism Raiden.. That was the a lot more than i was hoping for. What you said really made me want to rethink my latest project, which has a bazillion more flashes/fades then this one. I think i'll just finish it then take all your comments and use them to make the amv after that one even better.

Again thanks for the comment, I've never really had tips from a proper musician... only really used to getting commments like:

good amv
bad amv
its ok

well thanks again
ssjvackar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 07:48   Link #4
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
WOW, thanks for the critisism Raiden.. That was the a lot more than i was hoping for.
hehe. Isn't that how you're supposed to comment? Yeah, I admit there's people out there who will only give you the "it's good" or "it's bad", (even I'm guilty of it when I can't think of any suggestions for improving) but it's the thurough comments that help you learn and get better. People should comment like this more often where they provide constructive feedback and critisism that helps YOU get better. Because if YOU get better, and YOU produce a better AMV, it will make THEM happier and THEY will have better stuff to enjoy.