AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-28, 05:04   Link #1
Senden

good horror animes to watch?

With it being Halloween I decided it's time I explore the horror genre some more. Would like some good horror recommendations my only real request is that it's proper horror and not say like D.Gray Man or Claymore which just have slight horror themes.

Ones I saw:

Gantz (LOVED this)
Blood (the series from a few years back)

Ones I'm going to watch:

Helsing
High school of the dead.
Old 2011-10-28, 07:49   Link #2
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Strongly recommend Shiki. Some of the character designs are a little weird but it's a great horror story nonetheless.
Old 2011-10-28, 07:55   Link #3
mecharobot

Mononoke is my personal favorite horror show. Very avant garde in its style. It consists of story arcs of 2-3 episodes in lenght. It's no slasher horror or anything, but anime horror never is. Just some interesting ghost stories.
Old 2011-10-28, 08:24   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Before you watch Mononoke, spend the $9 at RightStuf to buy the Bakeneko DVD. I think it's still the best of Nakamura Kenji's Apothecary stories. Bakeneko was such a hit with the noitaminA audience that they chose to schedule a sequel, which is Mononoke. (Mononoke still has one of the highest DVD sales figures of any noitaminA show. All fifteen Apothecary episodes have been re-packaged into a gorgeous JP Blu-ray set. Too bad they didn't include English subtitles, or I might have been tempted to pony up the $300 or so for this.)
Old 2011-10-28, 12:51   Link #5
kitten320

Well... not big horror fan but if take HOTD as reference then you could try the following:
Elfen Lied, not a horror in my opinion but a lot of blood and killing so I think it should work.

Ghost Hunt are series about ghosts, found it more intense and interesting than HOTD

Shiki is done by same author as ghost hunt and is about vampires.

Hundred Stories covers some distrubing themes and has dark animation to fit the mood.
Old 2011-10-29, 07:31   Link #6
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Berserk gets creepier and creepier towards the end and the soundtrack is amazing. I recommended this a lot very scary and a real weird story line. You might think its not scary at the start but a few episodes in you start to get the picture of whats going on. Really worth the watch.

Genocyber pretty gruesome not going to lie, it is scary unlike berserk its just straight in there and horrific.
Old 2011-10-29, 16:03   Link #7
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

Tentative recommendations only since I am not sure how to define "proper horror" - so it is kind of hard to make a recommendation that is only based on the knowledge that you loved Gantz and watched Blood+. Anyway here are some suggestions:

Based on the fact that you loved Gantz I suggest to give Bokurano a try. The basic themes are remarkably similar: an inescapable game of mysterious origin, fights of life and death, fairly depressing atmosphere. Bokurano is not quite as violent and gory as Gantz - the participants here are kids. But it is probably even more disturbing because of that fact. You really do not want your kids to watch this. It has mature themes.

Mature, gory, violent and more action-oriented:

Blue Gender (if I had to find a good description I'd come up with similarities to the movies of the "Alien"-series). Nasty Alien Bugs have infested earth and our freshly defrosted main character tries to save mankind. It is actually much better than this lame description, the plot is quite good, character development too. I do not know why exactly but the atmosphere of it reminded me of Gantz *shrug*
sci-fi, mecha, dystopian setting.

An option for the demon hunting genre might be Tokko. Although I cannot really recommend it wholeheartedly. The story is rather one-dimensional (monsters emerge from somwhere and kill anything that moves - so monster hunting ensues) but the violence and gore output should be satisfactory. The end of the series is disappointing in my opinion. Or to be more precise, Tokko unfortunately lacks an end.

Since you watched Blood+ and plan to watch HOTD and in case you enjoy it, give Shikabane Hime Aka and its sequel Shikabane Hime Kuro (aka Corpse Princess) a try. Not quite as fanservice-heavy as HOTD but it instead can boast with a plot (even if it only occurs mainly in the second season, the first season is more "monster of the week" fare). Undead girl has to hunt 108 monsters to be able to go to heaven (story in a nutshell).

More psychological horror exploring human weaknesses and not action heavy:

Pet Shop of Horrors (only 4 episodes straight out of the manga but can be watched and followed without knowledge of the manga). Our main character the mysterious "Count D" sells (very special) pets to people who have to agree to abide to a contract before they can take their pets home. Instead of following their contract most people decide to follow their desires instead. Well, they were warned about the consequences, weren't they? Not much merits in the technical department but nice stand-alone creepy stories.

Kikoushi Enma. NOT comedic like its predecessor Dororon Enma-kun. OVA with 4 episodes à 40 minutes. Beware of some nudity, ecchi- and bizarreness. Episodic. Good production values. Very enjoyable overall.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (with sequel, side story and other various related franchises). Horror, murder mystery, (psychological) thriller. It is highly praised by many. But it is not everybody's cup of tea.
Old 2011-10-29, 18:59   Link #8
Ryugamine

I have to agree with anyone who suggest Higurashi or Ghost hunt cause those were like the only anime that actually scared the crap outta me. Anyhow here are some more that were interesting but did actually "scare" me per say but still horror

Blood C- May not really be scary, but more gory. At first look it may sound/look like a second season to Blood+, but its not. This one was made by Clamp which did other anime such as Tsubasa Chronicles and xxxHolic. May have already watched this since it came with the Fall 2011 but if you haven't check it out.

Hell Girl/Jigoku Shoujo- Somewhere in the vast sea of the Internet, there’s a website that can only be accessed at the stroke of midnight. Known as the Jigoku Tsushin, rumor has it that if you post a grudge there, the Jigoku Shoujo will appear and drag whoever torments you into the inferno. Very little is known about the girl – all we know for sure is that she lives with her equally enigmatic grandmother, that three magical straw dolls accompany and serve her, and that whenever a posting on the Jigoku Tsushin moves her, she becomes the Jigoku Shoujo.

Ookami Kakushi-s it a god (kami)? Or a wolf (ookami)? A secret law in the old part of town … brings together dread and mystery. It is the summer of Shouwa 58, 1983. Ten stories, intertwined by the idle thoughts of people caught in repeating nightmares … what could possibly be the truth therein!?
A 16 year old boy, Kuzumi Hiroshi, started to live in a new town that is located in the mountains. The town is separated into new and old streets by the river, and many mysterious local cultures still remain. Although confused and enjoying his new life, one person kept her distance from him: class committee member Kushinada Nemura. In their few encounters she gave him a word of advice: “Stay away from the old streets”.
Old 2011-10-29, 19:53   Link #9
kitten320

I think you can also try Umineko no Naku Koro ni, a lot of gory killing though some stuff censored. But I think that DVD release shouldn't be.
Old 2011-10-29, 19:58   Link #10
Undertaker

I'll second Hell Girl/Jigoku Shoujo, The show isn't scary as in spooky-shock kind of way but the whole series got a ghostly feel to it. Kind of like how the 1st Silent Hill game was Rather than Resident Evil/Bio Hazard.
Old 2011-10-29, 20:08   Link #11
Ryugamine

Hell Girl really keeps you like on edge though. It's like she uses this karma thing and well if I say too much it'll spoil it for you
Old 2011-10-30, 17:49   Link #12
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Bokurano has lots of soul crushing despair but not much horror and Hell Girl isn't a horror show to me (is Enma Ai really scary? I find her moe. Each to his own) but seconding Higurashi. It will seem strange though as Higurashi jumps around with no explaination initially.

Also in the same vein as Higurashi, seconding Umineko as well

Also seconding Blood C. Its really a gorefest and the final episode will have you puking or laughing at its insanity

Another one you can follow that (as far for its short start) has not disappointed in Mirai Nikki.
Old 2011-10-30, 20:30   Link #13
Ryugamine

Oh yeah Mirai Nikki has that one thing that scares everyone, a yandere girl
Old 2011-10-31, 03:19   Link #14
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryugamine View Post
Oh yeah Mirai Nikki has that one thing that scares everyone, a yandere girl
I wouldn't recommend it for a straight-up horror-searcher, but damn, some of her scenes are creepy as hell.

Spoiler for An example, very vague spoiler: