AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-10-28, 20:12   Link #301
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
I'm enjoying the series so far, as I am finally caught up. In these types of series, the jerk/popular guy usually gets the girl at the end for one reason or another. However, I really hope it changes for this series. Let's have the more serious and straightforward guy win for once. It is especially more significant, since Taichi's rude actions are not really justified, or at least had bad intentions.

Edit:
It looks like Arata went through a tragedy, which I had to guess, involved his grandfather. Hence, he has stopped playing, and understandably rude to Chi. She brought up a very sore subject. However, I am sure Chi will find a way to get him back into it eventually.
__________________

Last edited by thundrakkon; 2011-10-28 at 21:27. Reason: Additional comments
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 00:02   Link #302
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
I hope those three would get back together soon....Really a waste to let such friendships break.

Taichi and Chihaya seem to be back together again but unless he is clear on his own position well things won't be so smooth..

Chihaya is still the same Chihaya that's damned cute to see...
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 02:59   Link #303
SkoolRumble4Ya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
WTF happen to Arata? Damn I want moar.

Chihaya GIF Where?
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 10:13   Link #304
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
It's rather intriguing to see when Episode 3 ended, Chihaya being far behind Arata and Taichi in skill and also in general life experience, yet one episode later she's now ahead of them both. All three of them had a spark of some sort but only Chihaya has managed to kindle hers. Taichi seems somewhat content to settle for good enough and is with a girlfriend he even admits not caring much about. Arata has succumbed to darkness and lost his drive. While Chihaya has improved dramatically and still retained her spunky, pristine nature. At some points watching that episode, Chihaya lit up that screen more than her self-obssessed modelling sister ever could.

The changes in Chihaya are evident. When Chihaya would fall behind in the past in a match, her self-doubt would overwhelm her. Now, she simply wills herself to get over the line. She doesn't hate her opponents, has a genuine love of the game and keeps her manners more in line. But thankfully some things don't change - Taichi can still irk her and she easily drives him up the wall. Chihaya is still an adorable ball of positive energy and has a mix of a glamour look and tomboy behaviour. It's always a delight to see her in action. Time away from the trio has served her well.

The atmosphere of Chihaya calling Arata was very poignant. You've got Chihaya revelling in victory, standing in the light and finally getting where she wants to be while clutching her girlie pink phone. Whereas you have Arata in a house full of darkness and answering an older style phone. The distance between them is just amplified by these subtle qualities and makes for one very moving scene. Other great moments were when the teacher called Taichi 'Eyelashes' - priceless. Chihaya's button-eyed expression while wolfing down chocolate then snoozing with her eyes open - adorable. Chihaya in a white T-shirt and tying her now long hair back while playing - there was just something undeniably cool about that.

It was once that Chihaya needed Arata and Taichi to help her get her spark and feel alive. Now it is the reverse and time for Chihaya to repay the favour. She seems up to the task but certainly the reality of the dream team not being infallible to the darker side of life has left Chihaya somewhat stunned. But you need adversity to make this story work. She's a strong girl and will get over it. What follows will prove to be evermore intriguing and heartwarming.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 13:56   Link #305
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
so Arata quitted because his grandpa died?

I thought there's gonna be a more... complex reason.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 14:18   Link #306
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Good episode this week, jammed full with different topics. Taichi dealing with his feelings for Chihaya, Chihaya tryiing to connect with her old friends and Arata dealing with the death of his Grandfather.
Next week, a new character(?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
so Arata quitted because his grandpa died?

I thought there's gonna be a more... complex reason.
I think they mentioned that his family was borderline poor, so I am guessing that he has to help support the family. He probably doesn't have time to focus on playing karuta anymore, unless he actually makes space for it. But after the death of his gramps, he probably could not be bothered to find some time for it.

Last edited by Sides; 2011-11-01 at 14:31.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 14:25   Link #307
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
so Arata quitted because his grandpa died?

I thought there's gonna be a more... complex reason.
Yeah to be honest I was hoping for a more complex reason too so I'm kinda miffed about that. Other than that (and Taichi not sparing his poor girlfriend a second thought), I really liked this episode. The bit where Arata chased after them on his bike was quite the Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 14:37   Link #308
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
so Arata quitted because his grandpa died?

I thought there's gonna be a more... complex reason.
The neighbor girl said that grandfather died while Arata was supposed to be watching him. My guess is that Arata left grandfather by himself, probably at grandfather's urging, to go to the tournament. Arata probably thinks that if he had stayed home like he was supposed to, he could have gotten medical help to grandfather in time to save him. Arata likely blames himself for grandfather's death. Arata's family may or may not also blame him. I could see Arata giving up karuta as a self-imposed punishment under those circumstances.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 15:48   Link #309
fanty
STARVING ARTIST
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 永遠の冬の国
Age: 24
The fact that this anime has no next episode previews is just beyond cruel.
fanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 16:22   Link #310
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
A bit uneven when compared to the last few episodes, but by the end, I was feeling pretty positive about it.

And yes, I suppose it was just a little disappointing that Arata's reason for quitting was a bit overplayed and melodramatic, but just think, a lesser show would have substituted his grandfather for his sickly little sister, or something. At least this way makes sense. It seems the neighbor girl is close with the family, if not just Arata.

Taichi continues to fluctuate between being a sympathetic teenaged boy, and a bit of a heel. Frankly, all three of the lead characters displayed their fair share of tactlessness and insensitivity this week. I'm hoping this is just to set the baseline so that they all have plenty of room to grow to understand one another before the end.

I enjoyed the brief exchange between Taichi and Arata. Honestly, they may have more chemistry with each other than either does with Chihiya, at this stage.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 16:30   Link #311
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Taichi just keeps lowballing every chance he gets, doesn't he? I wonder if my opinion of him will get even worse next week?

Taichi, the one with the girlfriend already, wanted to take advantage of the situation and grab onto Chihaya's hand during the walk at the Sakura blossom. How much of a coward can you be? If you really wanted Chihaya that bad, break up with your girlfriend before trying to sack another girl.

Furthermore, at Arata's house, a true friend would have tried to get to the bottom of things, not keep on pulling Chihaya away out of pure jealousy. Taichi really is not redeemable as a person. His objectives are always with an ulterior motive, trying to get together with Chihaya in a safe way where he might not get rejected.

I really do hope that Arata and Chihaya end up together since they are very pure and straightforward with their actions and feelings. Hopefully, the show is setting up for that, since Arata type of guys usually lose out in these types of shows.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 17:04   Link #312
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The neighbor girl said that grandfather died while Arata was supposed to be watching him. My guess is that Arata left grandfather by himself, probably at grandfather's urging, to go to the tournament. Arata probably thinks that if he had stayed home like he was supposed to, he could have gotten medical help to grandfather in time to save him. Arata likely blames himself for grandfather's death. Arata's family may or may not also blame him. I could see Arata giving up karuta as a self-imposed punishment under those circumstances.
Exactly. I thought it was explicit enough, but apparently not. I completely understand what Arata is going through, and it's a very valid reason for him to quit Karuta. He didn't even quit by choice, he's so ridden with guilt he can't even look at karuta cards anymore. He obviously still loves the game and will start playing again as soon as he comes to term with his grandfather's death. I'm sure he'll soon realize the best way to honor his grandfather's memory is to walk in his footsteps. That's surely what he would have wanted.

I personally found this episode quite moving and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest regarding Arata's backstory.

Chihaya truly hasn't changed one bit and I wouldn't have it any other way. Loved her little memo notes. It appears she's still in good terms with her sister, since she got the money for the trip from her rather than her parents. I'm really curious to see what Onee-san's become.

Taichi... kind of acted like a jerk, but I actually can't tell whether he cares only about Chihaya or if he still values his friendship with Arata too. Some of his reactions could be interpreted in different ways. I'll wait a couple more episodes before crucifying him.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 17:11   Link #313
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Furthermore, at Arata's house, a true friend would have tried to get to the bottom of things, not keep on pulling Chihaya away out of pure jealousy. Taichi really is not redeemable as a person. His objectives are always with an ulterior motive, trying to get together with Chihaya in a safe way where he might not get rejected.
I don't think it was purely "ulterior motives". It's just that Taichi is Chihaya's friend, rather than Arata's. He didn't want to see her getting hurt, no matter what reasons Arata could have.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 17:26   Link #314
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 28
Would people still think Taichi is a jerk this episode if he didn't have a girlfriend? Because while I am getting more and more worried about how it will end for her, I can definitely sympathize with his ordeal. It's hard to be in a 3-way friendship where you have a huge crush on the clueless and childish friend, but they seem to be obsessing over the other friend, whom you have a love-hate relationship with. There must be so many conflicting emotions going through his mind right now. Chihaya pisses him off constantly with her absolute tactlessness, but he is so in love with her that it hurts. As for Arata, he certainly respects and admires him, but is burning with jealousy because of the attention Chihaya heaps on him.

Now that being said, Taichi isn't single, so he can't afford to let these complex feelings linger because a nice, sweet girl will end up as collateral damage. YOU HAVE A GF, MOFO! END IT WITH HER OR GET THE FUCK ON WITH YOUR LIFE!!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 17:56   Link #315
Kagayaki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
There was this one shot in ep5 that looked exactly like something I would have photoshopped as a joke...

Spoiler for guess which one is real:

Hmmm. Chihayafuru sets off several warning bells in my mind with similarities to the Shoujo Parody Anime I have stored somewhere in there. Does the fact that I'm still hoping the love triangle won't be a central focus of the series mean I'm in a state of extreme denial? Or maybe I'm just tsundere for love triangles and and I'll end up liking it anyways. Diagnose me.

Half the scenes were borderline overplayed, but the melodrama in this show is so well put together I can't help but be completely drawn in even though I know it's ridiculous. The friendship angle is conveyed very nicely, and overall the episode was lots of fun to watch.

Side notes:
- I think Taichi works very well as a character to balance out the other two, and I don't understand why people are complaining about him so much.
- It was annoying that Arata's backstory was such a sports anime cliche.
__________________
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:30   Link #316
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Wow I am really tired of the Taichi hate on here. Yes he's not perfect. Yes he needs to break up with his girlfriend before he lets his feelings for Chihaya linger.

But he is not a monster. He is a character with flaws. Hopefully he will grow from those flaws. That is what makes an interesting well rounded character! But as for Taichi not caring about Arata...he was yelling his name just like Chihaya when he saw him through that window. Of course he cares! But as Taichi says sometimes guys show that in different ways.


Anyways I don't think Chihaya and Arata are without flaws either. Chihaya doesn't seem to pay attention to the feelings of others since she is so focused on "her own goals" she somewhat ignores the atmosphere.

And certainly Arata did not have to give such a cold reception to Chihaya and Taichi. Even though I completely understand him.

Bottom line is I love Arata, Chihaya and Taichi and hope no matter what ending they get it will be a happy one for all 3.

Anyways this episode was a tad bit melodramatic but I don't mind that Arata's grandfather was the reason. Actually like ThereminVox said I find that relationship kind of unique in anime. Maybe because I miss my own grandparents (they have all passed on) I especially love this type of story.

The ending was also wonderfully heart warming. Maybe a bit manipulative but I don't care I love when series warm my heart like that. And this is only episode 5.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:49   Link #317
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But he is not a monster. He is a character with flaws. Hopefully he will grow from those flaws. That is what makes an interesting well rounded character! But as for Taichi not caring about Arata...he was yelling his name just like Chihaya when he saw him through that window. Of course he cares! But as Taichi says sometimes guys show that in different ways.
The issues with Taichi is that he continually proves to do wrong intentionally. It would be fine and dandy if he starts doing things right or makes up for his past mistakes, but he seems to have no desire to do so.

He intentionally cheats by taking Arata's glasses in order to try to win. That was such a classless act, and he did not man up to tell Chihaya what he did. He continues to try to undermine Arata due to his jealousy. Finally, yes, he has a girlfriend, and he wants to cheat on her.

I guess this is a difference in a opinion between the genders, since it seems the more kind-hearted gender tends to overlook these flaws and give the guy a second chance (or third or fourth...). I, as a person, do not take to kindly for guys to do what Taichi does in real life. It is very selfish what he does and lacks principle.

As for Taichi yelling to Arata at the end, it is really hard to trust anything the guy does. His motivation has been to get together with Chihaya, so anything that looks positive for her on his behalf is questionable.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:57   Link #318
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
I really don't mind crying in shows usually, but this episode laid on the melodrama a little too thick, which is not a good thing.

Chihayafuru is at its best when it's not abusing emotional queues. It can do better with a little more subtlety.

Still, very good episode.

I really don't understand the hate Taichi seems to garner in this thread, he's so far been the most interesting character of the 3, and the most developed overall. He's not a perfect character, but flawed characters become so much more believably human and ultimately more interesting. It's not like he's a monster by any means.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2011-11-02 at 03:25.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 19:59   Link #319
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
The issues with Taichi is that he continually proves to do wrong intentionally. It would be fine and dandy if he starts doing things right or makes up for his past mistakes, but he seems to have no desire to do so.

He intentionally cheats by taking Arata's glasses in order to try to win. That was such a classless act, and he did not man up to tell Chihaya what he did. He continues to try to undermine Arata due to his jealousy. Finally, yes, he has a girlfriend, and he wants to cheat on her.
Since Taichi's been a kid and bullied Arata (which he admitted his guilt to Arata) NOTHING Taichi has done to me has been "doing wrong intentionally".

I wouldn't say trying to hold another girls hand (who happens to be your friend) is equivalent to cheating on your girlfriend. Do I think Taichi should break up with his girlfriend or work on his feelings for her? Yes! Do I think that will eventually happen? Yes! It's all part of the story.

And I certainly don't think Taichi screaming Arata's name or even saying we will start a Karuta club so we will be ready when Arata gets back has anything to do with "ulterior motives". But you can see what you like.

I am not giving Taichi any extra chances because I don't think he did anything all that horrible in the first place. God forbid a character is not a saint though.

And no I don't think Taichi grabbing Chihaya out of there was intentionally wrong either. Do I think it was the right move? No! But I do think Taichi unlike Chihaya read the situation correctly that Arata was giving them a cold & even rude reception and he didn't want to take that & didn't think Chihaya should take that either. In the end I think he was happy to see Arata on that bike just as much as Chihaya (well maybe not as much as Chihaya but that's because her feelings for Arata are stronger than even she realizes).


edit: Moreover I think Taichi can naturally be jealous of Arata & still care about him. The two are not mutually exclusive.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 20:12   Link #320
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
I respect and can sympathize with most of your arguments, but I cannot agree with this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
NOTHING Taichi has done to me has been "doing wrong intentionally".
When he stole Arata's glasses, it was wrong on so many levels. Theft (glasses), lying (to everyone), cheating (game), and finally, deception (hiding from Chihaya). Those actions were beyond just bullying. Yes, he returned it in the end, but essentially, it was because Arata knew he was the thief, and because it was in the best interest for Chihaya (keep her from searching endlessly). However, it was still theft nonetheless, and his reason for returning it was not righteous either.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
josei, madhouse

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.