AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-01, 17:40   Link #3021
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Before heading off to bed, I suddenly find myself appreciating the movie more after watching it the third time around. Mainly because of the fact that this is(/could be) the last Macross Frontier animated production finally sank on me. But then again, at least it went out with a bang, popularity intact.

Macross Frontier was a wild ride. It's one of the animus that I will treasure forever.
(Mainly due to the fact that I met my RL waifu because of it. Yeah, how geeky.. ).

I'll look forward to future Macross projects and will delight in Frontier references and cameos.


Raile is a GUY? I'm shocked!

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Um, the Vajra Queen folded out with Alto at the end. It's like blindingly obvious too.

Alto survived, that much is obvious. The question is how he will get back, which is only somewhat difficult to discern since he happens to be in telepathic communication with the ultimate folding race in the galaxy. Do things really need to be spelled out entirely these days?
While you are entirely right, I have to counter-ask: Can't we have a fucking clear ending out Kawamori? At least once? Is he still so pissed off that Misa and Hikaru managed to get it done or why does he feel the pressing need to deny his audience a nice sweet clear happy ending?

And before someone loses it in blind Kawamori adoration, I'm tacitly okay with the second movies ending. But, damn, what's the problem with just having a clear happy ending for once?

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I actually saw a fold as well however others seem to believe they saw an explosion as well, which is what i was reiterating and i see how other viewers could have seen an explosion as well. Again my point was not really directed that much about the scene in general to me that scene was not overwhelming important (because of how the rest of the movie was presented) the dialog itself was more important than the scene. You say its blindingly obvious i say if it was there were be no discussion on any forum as to weather he was alive or deceased.
That discussion mainly happened when people were just going by what others saw in the cinema... as we now all are at liberty to rewind and watch the scene one or two times in a row, it becomes quite obvious that the Vajra queen folded out before the beam spam hit the mountains behind her.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
Part of it is how American entertainment has conditioned us.

See: The Hays Code for a discussion on why Americans have come to expect their heroes to live.
I take issue with it being a "conditioning". It's a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
This is Macross. You can't say ANYTHING is official history.
Until the next series, when things are made somewhat clearer.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 17:47   Link #3022
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post


Raile is a GUY? I'm shocked!
Ask yourself a very simple question.

Alto & Sheryl, who is the wife?

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 17:58   Link #3023
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Until the next series, when things are made somewhat clearer.
You mean when we get a Macross 7 sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Ask yourself a very simple question.

Alto & Sheryl, who is the wife?

- Tak
Doesn't matter on the circumstance, that question with such an obvious answer never needs answering.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 18:01   Link #3024
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
That discussion mainly happened when people were just going by what others saw in the cinema... as we now all are at liberty to rewind and watch the scene one or two times in a row, it becomes quite obvious that the Vajra queen folded out before the beam spam hit the mountains behind her.
Problem is that we don't know whether they edited it for the BD/DVD to make it more obvious.

Either way, what Kawamori intended us to take from it is clear.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Doesn't matter on the circumstance, that question with such an obvious answer never needs answering.
Besides, Sheryl already answered that for us in this film
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 18:02   Link #3025
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Besides, Sheryl already answered that for us in this film
I won't be happy unless my future wife is able to make a valkyrie out of an apple, seriously.

I bet even Kawamori can't do that!
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 18:26   Link #3026
magnuskn
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Ask yourself a very simple question.

Alto & Sheryl, who is the wife?

- Tak
Is that a trick question? I think everybody knows the answer already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Problem is that we don't know whether they edited it for the BD/DVD to make it more obvious.

Either way, what Kawamori intended us to take from it is clear.
I concur.
__________________
magnuskn is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 20:47   Link #3027
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Only saw it once at the cinema, so I seriously don't remember!

But I'm pretty certain I thought it highly possible that they didn't make it out...until I reasoned it through over the next week (from the comment about Zero, and working out what the earring flash might have meant - I did actually catch that at the cinema, barely...)...
Okay, better than nothing, I suppose...

Anyway, the way I remember it, there was the sound of a fold charging up, and we all know what that sounds like and roughly how long it takes. And it sounded like it was still charging when the missiles hit.

I definitely don't recall the shot of the Vajra Queen vanishing. And considering that others were apparently "fooled" as well, I think they must have redone the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I already did in this post where it says "end spoilers" under "Queen folds." It is easy to see that the Queen finishes folding before the blasts run through and hit the mountain. THAT is the big explosion.
Okay, but...you have the end of the movie on your phone, right? Why don't you check that and tell us if they changed the scene?
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 21:31   Link #3028
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Did anyone else notice that at the end of the first song (Ranka's) in the credits, you see Sheryl's lips moving in her coma. I'm certain she's saying Alto <3
ChronoReverse is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 21:33   Link #3029
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Did anyone else notice that at the end of the first song (Ranka's) in the credits, you see Sheryl's lips moving in her coma.
Yes, I think everyone did.
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 21:36   Link #3030
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Yes, I think everyone did.
Hehe, it bears repeating then. I was sure I wasn't the only one =)
ChronoReverse is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 22:29   Link #3031
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Okay, better than nothing, I suppose...

Anyway, the way I remember it, there was the sound of a fold charging up, and we all know what that sounds like and roughly how long it takes. And it sounded like it was still charging when the missiles hit.

I definitely don't recall the shot of the Vajra Queen vanishing. And considering that others were apparently "fooled" as well, I think they must have redone the scene.
If it's anything, enough people were asking about it on 2ch that by the 27th of February, someone set up a Q&A that included that question:
Quote:
Q、アルト死んだの?
 A、攻撃受ける前にクイーンと共にフォールドしたがそのまま行方不明に
I really wanted to see it again to rewatch that least scene and the credits to check. Can't trust the old memory you know What did the others at Macross World think though? I mean, some of you saw it quite a few times at the cinema, right?
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 22:54   Link #3032
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
If it's anything, enough people were asking about it on 2ch that by the 27th of February, someone set up a Q&A that included that question:

I really wanted to see it again to rewatch that least scene and the credits to check. Can't trust the old memory you know What did the others at Macross World think though? I mean, some of you saw it quite a few times at the cinema, right?
I haven't asked yet...although right after I saw the movie with my then-girlfriend (which would've been the middle of April), I mentioned that here, at least one person here was questioning my ability to see things correctly, and she also said that the scene was extremely ambiguous.

I'd like to think that if they actually SHOWED the Vajra Queen vanishing in the theatrical version, that at least ONE person would've caught it.

Again, if LMK really did get the end of the movie on her phone, surely she should be able to upload somewhere or at least rewatch it. Right...?
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 22:57   Link #3033
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Again, if LMK really did get the end of the movie on her phone, surely she should be able to upload somewhere or at least rewatch it. Right...?
Lets not encourage anything at the moment...

- Tak
__________________
- Flight to Brazil? $1,500
- FIFA Stadium Ticket? $500
- Witnessing Coach Joachim Lw crack a smile at the World-Cup Final? PRICELESS


There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.


Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline  
Old 2011-11-01, 23:31   Link #3034
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I haven't asked yet...although right after I saw the movie with my then-girlfriend (which would've been the middle of April), I mentioned that here, at least one person here was questioning my ability to see things correctly, and she also said that the scene was extremely ambiguous.

I'd like to think that if they actually SHOWED the Vajra Queen vanishing in the theatrical version, that at least ONE person would've caught it.
I definitely agree that it was ambiguous - I couldn't have confirmed it either way when I stepped out of the cinema. The only reason I drifted to one side over the following week - over which I had no internet access - was because I'd read about the "watch Zero" comment*, which apparently appeared in the March Newtype. (Checking now, this appears to be a genuine comment based on 2ch comments and blog entries, though I can't find it completely in its original context.)

*well, that and the earring flashing at the end of the small video during the credits.

If none of us Westerners caught it, either we're blind, or some of the Japanese really took in the "watch Zero" hint. Going back over the 2ch threads now, the first time someone noted that the Queen folded was around 12.45pm on the 26th...
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes



Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-02 at 06:00.
karice67 is offline  
Old 2011-11-02, 00:31   Link #3035
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to FLCL
I'm blown away. This was everything the TV series should've been!

9.5/10
FLCL is offline  
Old 2011-11-02, 00:38   Link #3036
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Okay, but...you have the end of the movie on your phone, right? Why don't you check that and tell us if they changed the scene?
I think you fail to remember me posting in a past post to triangler_fans1 that I deleted the video because of the poor quality, small screen, and loss of detail. It worked enough for sound but not exactly the viewing if you want proof. <--(just remembered that I PMed that, but explained same thing.)

A camera with 200mm lens would've been better!

If you actually look back, I also mentioned that I couldn't tell Ranka was running to the fallen Sheryl, so I assumed she'd fallen into Ranka's lap, a small mistake I made due to the small screen and poor detail. Plus, since it was a recording, it kept being moved.

I only kept it for about a month after its release because of the dialogue, but I never watched the footage again because I couldn't really see much. Hell, only the Valkyries were easy to see, and that's when they were up close.

Sheryl looked like a chipmunk, and I didn't actually know that was Alto in the flashback if not for spoilers. Ranka's costume was mistaken by me as a red wedding dress because I couldn't truly see it correctly.

Why post something so distorted?

I pride myself in posting footage with quality. If you noticed on YouTube, I work only with the highest quality footage I can find. I post nothing but. So please, trust me when I say that I'd never release something like that recording. I was just embarrassed about asking for it.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Actually, he never said that. He just didn't answer Ozma, i.e. you are assuming that that was his plan.

It's not contradicted, but that doesn't mean that it's 100% true either. Please don't put words or plans into the character's mouth.

I get something else out of that scene, but since Alto doesn't say much, I can only make conjectures about how much of what Ozma suggested is true. I suggest you recognise that that's all that you can do as well.
I just re-watched this scene.

You're right. Alto does not reply. Ozma jumps to conclusions and reads Alto as such by how he responds. I love his analogy to Alto though. I've been thinking about that since the TV series ended: "life is a role." It's true. Alto will be forever acting no matter what state because "life" is a "role." No matter if he ended up with either girl, he would play the role of "lover," "pilot," and "boy." It will always be such. Ozma is awesome.
__________________

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2011-11-02 at 00:57.
LoveMeKags is offline  
Old 2011-11-02, 01:03   Link #3037
Yunbo
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
Oooh. I can see it now too. (And it makes sense!) thanks!


But that still doesn't answer what song it might be from... why bother to show/write lyrics on the wall if we never get to hear the song itself? (because honestly, I would love to hear it)
I think the song is just suppose to reflect on Sheryl's current situation.
So how I translate the meaning of the song is that
right now she is having a hard time and that things aren't looking so good for her but the more things are looking down the more she must stay strong. And being strong will be hard but just keep on moving forward, that's life.

Or I can be looking too into it and I just think this cause a lot of new songs I have been listening have the message to stay strong/believe in yourself. :/ But I WOULD love to hear her sing this song though. XD
Yunbo is offline  
Old 2011-11-02, 01:32   Link #3038
Thess
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Ohhh. Observations from my preferred shipping bias, in the TV series, Ranka invites Alto to her first concert with tickets.

In the movie, she invites... Sheryl!
__________________

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline  
Old 2011-11-02, 02:28   Link #3039
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I think you fail to remember me posting in a past post to triangler_fans1 that I deleted the video because of the poor quality, small screen, and loss of detail. It worked enough for sound but not exactly the viewing if you want proof. <--(just remembered that I PMed that, but explained same thing.)

A camera with 200mm lens would've been better!

If you actually look back, I also mentioned that I couldn't tell Ranka was running to the fallen Sheryl, so I assumed she'd fallen into Ranka's lap, a small mistake I made due to the small screen and poor detail. Plus, since it was a recording, it kept being moved.

I only kept it for about a month after its release because of the dialogue, but I never watched the footage again because I couldn't really see much. Hell, only the Valkyries were easy to see, and that's when they were up close.

Sheryl looked like a chipmunk, and I didn't actually know that was Alto in the flashback if not for spoilers. Ranka's costume was mistaken by me as a red wedding dress because I couldn't truly see it correctly.

Why post something so distorted?

I pride myself in posting footage with quality. If you noticed on YouTube, I work only with the highest quality footage I can find. I post nothing but. So please, trust me when I say that I'd never release something like that recording. I was just embarrassed about asking for it.
Well...that's convenient, isn't it? Deleting the only known recording of the theatrical version of the film, just because the quality was poor...
__________________
Yot-chan is offline  
Old 2011-11-02, 03:44   Link #3040
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Well...that's convenient, isn't it? Deleting the only known recording of the theatrical version of the film, just because the quality was poor...
It's a free country.

Or were you going to force me to keep something so stupid (and small, and otherwise worthless when it comes to the pieces you want) just to prove I had it? That's sick.
__________________
LoveMeKags is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, military, movie, romance, science fiction, song

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.