AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-06, 15:45   Link #421
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Like how Gon was the one that helped everyone out in both parts. He found the pig's weakness and then was able to sense the updraft. Lol how everyone got denied the first time. Can't believe the 2nd phase finished in 1 ep while the 1st phase was so long.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 15:50   Link #422
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
In this one the joke about Leorio's face being the same was omitted (which is one of my favorite scenes) and instead we've had filler sliding scene and creators showing us the search for boars.
The joke about Leorio's face isn't in the manga either, so it wasn't "omitted"--it just wasn't "added." Also:



Yeah, the searching and sliding scenes are in the manga. Killua isn't there, but it's still more faithful than Nippon Animation's version. More on that in my next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
A minute was wasted to see how Gon and others go through the woods to find pigs, lol. And while I'm at it, it's hard to believe they wouldn't see pigs from this high ground (even if we take into account that trees would obstruct the view). But this was acceptable. What was not however was the method of incapacitating the boar. Apples falling from a tree could KO the killer-boar? Are they f*cking serious? If it was so easy that a mere apple could do that this species would be long gone. That's just ridiculous and treating the viewer like an idiot.
The boar wasn't KOed; it just was hurt. Why would the creature be extinct if its offensive and defensive abilities are clearly above average, while its one weakness is a tiny spot behind its greatest weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
And Menchi evaluating pigs was a fail. They've mixed up two tests into one, a brilliant idea. NOT. They've cut out some great scenes and prevented the viewers from getting to know better some of the characters.
I'm mixed on the effect the scene had, but I'll refute your "getting to know better some of the characters" statement. The only character here that we got to know better in the original manga was Hanzo and there's still time for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
They also didn't show that Menchi deserves the title of a Hunter and that she could do sth none of the participants (except certain two individuals) could. Getting the eggs was sth that 42 Hunter candidates could easily achieve. And updraft? Are you kidding me? If the wind would be so strong that it could hold a person I don't see how the eggs could be still where they are.
FAIL.
I agree that more information about Menchi should have been revealed, but there's two sides to that coin. Also, There were 70 candidates prior to going to Mt. Split-in-Half, so the egg ordeal wasn't that easily achievable. And the reason the eggs stayed on is because they're attached to a sticky web strong enough to hold at least four people. A telephone wire can survive strong winds, but they'd surely break from heavily weighted people hanging from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Also, talk about being lazy, spider webs are in rectangles, lol. Another proof that old anime had better graphics. And the trumpet music is really annoying. It could fit a slap-stick comedy not HxH.
I'll do an image comparison in my next post. The old series definitely did not excel in this scene.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 18:17   Link #423
Oberon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
The joke about Leorio's face isn't in the manga either, so it wasn't "omitted"--it just wasn't "added."
Actually, that particular gag was in the manga as well, though it was a one-panel thing.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 20:14   Link #424
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Actually, that particular gag was in the manga as well, though it was a one-panel thing.
My mistake--you're right. Nippon Animation extended the gag with Kurapika saying something like "Your face looks the same to me" after Leorio asks him to look at his face. In the manga, Leorio follows up with a criticism directed toward Kurapika for being so blatant in his perception of Leorio's looks.

Anyways, comparison.

Spoiler for HxH Episode 6 Comparison:
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 20:41   Link #425
Poky
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
#Toto, you've forgotten to add that Netero seems to be a pervert in this version ))

not that I don't support it...for a moment he made me remember master Roshi
Poky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 20:48   Link #426
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Spoiler for HxH Episode 6 Comparison:
Spoiler:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Poky View Post
#Toto, you've forgotten to add that Netero seems to be a pervert in this version ))

not that I don't support it...for a moment he made me remember master Roshi
He's a pervert in the manga too. He's got a thought bubble where he comments on her breasts while he's talking.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 21:45   Link #427
UnknownSoldier
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Spoiler for Episode 6 Comments:
UnknownSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 21:55   Link #428
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Wow that's disappointing they took out the sushi test.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 22:03   Link #429
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
Spoiler for Episode 6 Comments:
They could have taken out the pig test instead. I don't think that added much.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 23:28   Link #430
UnknownSoldier
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
They could have taken out the pig test instead. I don't think that added much.
Yea... but then you'd be wondering why Buhara was there at all, since I just can't imagine sushi fitting with his appetite.
UnknownSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 23:45   Link #431
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
It's not like he had a role in this version anyway. He just passed everyone but none of that counted because Menchi vetoed everyone. So what was the point of him being there?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 01:10   Link #432
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I disagree with this assessment pretty strongly. While on the surface it appears similar, with the tools being laid out for them and whatnot, when you actually think about it at all the Madhouse version makes no sense at all. The candidates are told to hunt pigs and given a bunch of knives and a firepit. Okay, so what's the test? To make something tasty? How does this test anything at all, other than skill at cooking? Menchi's reason for getting mad doesn't make as much sense either.

The point of the sushi was all about observation and logic. They're told to make handmade sushi, which is the cuisine of a small island nation. They're given a bunch of knives, but no source of heat. They have rice and vinegar, and Menchi waits for their entries with a pair of chopsticks and a small dish of soy sauce. The test is to figure out what the heck sushi is supposed to be. Given the clues, you can guess it's seafood because of the island nation and the knives, you know it's raw because there's no heat, you know it's something you create with your hands and is of the size to be picked up by chopsticks and dipped in the soy sauce. It's an actual test. It's clever. And the only reason Menchi gets mad is because Hanzo gives the answer away in a disrespectful way.

Removing the sushi part removes the test entirely. What we're left with is just an examiner who gets mad at the drop of a hat and fails everyone for no reason.
I fully support your opinion; I understand completely if you didn't like the episode. At the same time, I feel like we need to analyze the Madhouse version more.

In the Madhouse version, Buhara and Menchi give the following rules: the Exam is based upon cooking, the ingredient is pork and one can use any pig within the Visca forest (despite there only being one type), at least one of the facilities provided (grill, knives, vegetables, sink, salt, pepper, skewer) need to be used, and the taste needs to be "delicious." It's very ambiguous--even if the candidates find the Great Stamp, the examiners intentionally don't specify that there's only one type of pig in the forest reserve. Observation and originality are key--one needs to seek out the Great Stamp, find its weakness, and then deduce how to prepare it using all of the tools at their disposal. Granted, the sushi test was even more ambiguous due to no one other than Hanzo encountering it before. But the pork test in the Madhouse version has the same spirit of the sushi exam, which is why I accept it.

These are the exact same rules as the sushi exam--switch the fish out for the pig, and you have the same story. The Madhouse version combined the candidates' disdain for cooking into both parts of the second phase; the 2011 series also incorporated the candidates' disparagement of the Gourmet Hunter occupation. The spirit is the same, regardless of whether or not the events follow the manga to a T.

Menchi's irrationality was more understandable in the 1999 version because she was given more reasons to be annoyed: no one takes the exam seriously, they think that Gourmet Hunters are ridiculous, and then the correct methods are revealed to everyone by the contestants. This was a year in which Menchi would have been satisfied if 0-10 candidates passed her exam. Menchi's profession is insulted before the exam even begins in the 2011 version, and then all of the contestants believe that they only need to roast the pig to pass--so Menchi gets annoyed earlier than before. Regardless, Netero finds her exam unacceptable in all versions.

Menchi's passion for cooking and her picky tastes are the same in all of the versions. I think that the Madhouse series was actually more true to her character than the Nippon Animation version was--despite the great differences. In the 1999 series, Menchi stays upset without fully understanding the depths of what she'd done by failing the entire pool. She's less reluctant to conduct another version of the second phase in the 2011 series. Menchi is a better rounded person, whereas in Nippon Animation's adaptation, she's in permabitch mode for the entirety of both episodes 9 and 10.

Though I do agree with your deduction about the small island nation and knives--especially considering that their workstations have no ovens or stoves. It definitely is clever--I just feel as if the Madhouse adaptation did an admirable job combining the second phase into one episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste
It's not like he had a role in this version anyway. He just passed everyone but none of that counted because Menchi vetoed everyone. So what was the point of him being there?
Menchi and Buhara are sort of equalized. In the Nippon Animation adaptation, the viewer is supposed to believe that Menchi is the better Gourmet Hunter of the two. She cares more about the taste and is stricter than Buhara is. But Buhara is clearly not as dumb as he looks--his exam was very deceitful in the manga (and 2011 series) and he's incredibly strong. If anything, the Madhouse adaptation gave me more respect for Buhara.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 01:19   Link #433
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
That's why the two test is put together.

Quote:
And the only reason Menchi gets mad is because Hanzo gives the answer away in a disrespectful way.

Removing the sushi part removes the test entirely. What we're left with is just an examiner who gets mad at the drop of a hat and fails everyone for no reason.
I view them as the same. She got mad in both versions (manga, 2011) because she felt the examinees are belittling her job. In the manga, Hanzo said making a sushi is easy, which made her mad, because the study of preparing food is her job. In the 2011 anime, examinees are clearly belittling her job, forcing her habit of putting higher standards on her test.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 03:05   Link #434
deathbringer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I would disagree that the 2011 version's Menchi is more true to her character or even actually more likable. She in the original made brilliant test of observation that was ruined by the loud mouthed Hanzo telling everyone the recipe and then she is faced with the prospect of everyone passing. Here she panics and decides to start judging by taste although she originally was not planning to. Through her high standards and some spite was not able to let anyone pass. This fulfills the role inexperienced , impulsive but not necessarily bad natured genius that Satoz describes earlier. (which was also taken out)

However in this new version she loses almost everything that makes her situation relatable and sympathetic and makes her into more of a stuck up bitch than the original. Her criteria is not clear at all and she puts everyone through the cooking process out of pure spite rather than unintentionally in the original.
deathbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 06:15   Link #435
rinichan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I love the sushi test in the 99 version , I understand why people hate this episode...
Quote:
they should have removed the pig than the sushi part
But instead they put the pig test and mixed it with the sushi cooking essence...

and Menchi pink hair color is better, than green but in this version, I think Menchi is more sexy.... (is yellow the official hair color of Menchi? coz it seems that everyone in the other site claims it to be?)

I wonder why did Togashi let this happen, but still nice episode...
from 5 i rate this 3.
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 09:38   Link #436
christinemarie
Best Imouto
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pink World
Age: 30
For first timers and have no idea about Hunter x hunter especially young audience, I'll rate episode 6 as 10.
For anyone that watched the first anime version and read the manga, I'll rate this episode as 6. At least they made it appealing but concise and straight to the point. If sushi part is added, I might rate this as 9. For some reason, Aya Hirano's one episode VA had something to do with this part compressed into one episode.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 11:29   Link #437
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I agree that the sushi test really brings out Menchi's character in different angles, but...

I viewed her as more of a bitch in the manga. First, she made a sushi for a test. I mean, if people don't get the looks and the taste, that's not sushi. With only observation, there is no way they can know how to make sushi. Add that the examinees can only get freshwater fish, that's going to affect the taste. The fat guy's question to her about the kind of fish being used really shows that this is not a general challenge, but a challenge fit only for experienced cooks. From the start, the examinees' only way to pass is to get into details of making a sushi, and for her to pass them is to observe the details; which both are not even good news due to her perfectionist outlook in preparing food. She did not even give a concrete guess to the examinees. That's why the result is going to be obvious. There is no cooks in the examinees and they fail whatever happens.

Now, the second test she gives really contrast what she did in the sushi exam. Acknowledged her faults in the first test. She shows them how to do it. And the skills needed to pass applies to a more broader examinees. I do think at first this is a cheesy test, like the pig test, but it works in contrast and views more of Menchi's faults if you look back. And we get to see why she became a Gourmet Hunter.

(I did watch the old anime, but that was long time ago, so I won't comment on that. )

In this adaptation, I think Menchi is less of a bitch. Her letting the fat guy give the challenge means she's more open to the purpose of the exam. Her being pissed off at the contestants belittling her job is also in the scope of her character. In the manga, it's one of the reasons she made the sushi test.

_____________

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbringer View Post
She in the original made brilliant test of observation that was ruined by the loud mouthed Hanzo telling everyone the recipe and then she is faced with the prospect of everyone passing.
Hanzo did not ruined everything. It's her intention to make this hard for them. Hanzo bad mouthing the art of making sushi only add more fuel to the fire that's already been set. If he did not say anything, they all going to fail anyways.

Quote:
Here she panics and decides to start judging by taste although she originally was not planning to.
No. Her goal from the start is to judge the examinees based on her taste.

Quote:
Her criteria is not clear at all and she puts everyone through the cooking process out of pure spite rather than unintentionally in the original.
I cannot say it is unintentional. The first test was so easy, she just have to make it hard so it would satisfy her. In-story, sushi making is also some vague concept to the examinees.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 12:44   Link #438
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
I cannot say it is unintentional. The first test was so easy, she just have to make it hard so it would satisfy her. In-story, sushi making is also some vague concept to the examinees.
Sushi being a vague concept was the whole point though. It's a test of intelligence and problem-solving. What exactly is the "problem" to be solved with cooking the pigs? There is no problem and there is no solution. It's not a test.

In both cases her judgments are flawed, but in the Madhouse adaptation there isn't even a test in the first place. It just makes no sense.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 12:54   Link #439
Simonsy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I'm glad they removed the sushi test. Between this chef test, the airboat and then the naval filler following that I almost dropped the series back in 1999. The episodes were just soo boring and dragged out.

You guys keep talking about how its a huge shame no sushi thing. WHY? Tell me how that has any connection to the rest of the series? We don't see either of those two hunters EVER again, we never have any sort of cooking or anything shown ever again in the series. Testing observation? Um hello, nobody suceeded, so shouldn't they have all failed in that regard anyway? Having them all fail in observation test and yet then have the president come and overrule her seems dumb imo as well.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 13:08   Link #440
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Sushi being a vague concept was the whole point though. It's a test of intelligence and problem-solving. What exactly is the "problem" to be solved with cooking the pigs? There is no problem and there is no solution. It's not a test.
I don't disagree with that. Though, too vague is not a test either. Vaque hints for a vague answer, only luck will be the true determinant of that.

The contestants also did some observation too when they subdued the rampaging pigs. Though, I already know you're not convince by just that.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.