AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Old 2011-01-11, 21:05   Link #1
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Gate 7 (Another Series by Clamp)

Title: Gate 7

Sypnosis:

From Mangaupdates--

Between our conscious, waking world and the subconscious state of slumber, there is a thinly veiled plane of lucid dreaming. While the conscious state belongs to individuals, the hidden plane of dreams is one shared by all human minds, past, present, and future. Yet only a few have ever possessed the power to enter this secret realm at will - where a war is being waged to control the waking world. For our earthly wishes and desires are not our own, but under the manipulation of these unseen masters of dreams. The heroine of Gate 7 is Hana, a high-school girl hailing from Kyoto, the daughter of a temple caretaker. Her peaceful ways give her the self-control to act in the hidden realm. But Hana can only reach it through the strange beast that acts as her totem in the world of dreams - and her companion on a journey to confront the puppeteers of our reality!

Status in Country of Origin: Oneshot at the moment

Serialized In: Jump SQ (Shueisha)

What you can expect from clamp, another good artwork in this manga, maybe this is another TRC manga that will run for another several years to come.
Remilia Scarlet
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 23:09   Link #2
loveluna4

Yes! I love me some CLAMP, all the way back to RG Veda. I'll be all over this when it comes out. Thanks for the head's up!
Old 2011-01-11, 23:36   Link #3
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Read the one shot and I really do like the art style CLAMP went with this time (reminds me a little of The Legend of Chun Hyang) but after TRC and Holic I'm a little worried about the story. So far it seems to be playing with the themes CLAMP likes to use (introduction to mysterious magical situations, love interest who seems to be a little odd [as in, possibly not human, although that's just speculation on my part], standard stuff but with their own flare), I'm just wondering if the story will be a magical-thing-of-the-week story if it'll have a central plot thread instead.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 03:45   Link #4
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

^ *nod*

as of now I've still lots of ??? in my head regarding some of the characters, specially Takamoto.. in what sense will be he (I mean what will be his role)... gahhh though as you said I hope the plot will be deeper as it can be like Holic...
Remilia Scarlet
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 10:49   Link #5
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Heh, you know you're reading a CLAMP manga when there's a page of translation explantions at the end of each chapter and multiple two page spreads.

Spoiler for chapter one is out!:

Also, you might want to edit the summary in the first post since it looks like Takamoto is the main character now, not Hana, and Hana doesn't have a totem animal and might not even be human.
Old 2011-02-09, 14:58   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hana = girl? (I'm hoping)
Old 2011-02-09, 15:38   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Hana = girl? (I'm hoping)
Hana = Futa (I am calling it)
Old 2011-02-09, 19:12   Link #8
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Futa? I think it was stated in an interview that Hana isn't a guy or girl if that's what you meant, the fans just seem to prefer using the female pronoun over "it."
Old 2011-02-09, 19:45   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Hana is a spirit?
Old 2011-02-09, 21:24   Link #10
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

I just noticed that there was a oneshot about this manga...Did someone managed to translate it ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 21:56   Link #11
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

The oneshot is chapter 0 and yes, both that and chapter one are scanlated.
Old 2011-02-14, 13:38   Link #12
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Chapter 1
Looks pretty interesting. I love Hana, so adorable. And Chikahito (takamoto) looks nice and maybe different than the previous CLAMP boy heroes.

Unfortunately, I keep comparing Gate 7 to Holic and Tsubasa...

My only minor discomfort is with the names: long and difficult to memorize. and how come they use the name SAKURA again?! And to a full grown man!
Old 2011-02-18, 04:46   Link #13
Kikuchi

After Tsubasa and xxxHolic endings I'm kinda scared to start rolling with a new Clamp series for the years to come, but I think I won't really be able NOT to look at it periodically
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 00:24   Link #14
yura`

Has anyone else been following this?

I tried my best, but I felt lost and confused about halfway through (the available chapters so far). And I really, really want to like and enjoy this series to its fullest. But of course, my failure at understanding is not, by any means, CLAMP's fault. It seems to me that there are a lot of cultural nuances that are going way over my head (as a non-Japanese reader).

Gate 7 appears to be some sort of twist on a bit of Japanese history - and CLAMP seems to be clearly writing for their native audience. Japanese readers or anyone who's acquainted with the Sengoku period will probably understand (and appreciate) the story and characters a lot more. (More knowledgeable readers, do correct me if I'm wrong! Just seems to me that any outsider reading this won't really "get" it...)

In any case, it's only seven chapters so far, and in spite of the long names and many characters that have been introduced so far, the story seems promising - even if the story-telling is rather convoluted and seemingly complicated. Meh, that's CLAMP, I guess. Haha.

At least the art is gorgeous to look at. You can't fault CLAMP on their artistic skills, for sure.
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 17:01   Link #15
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I'm reading it myself but I'm so confused by all the characters. >.< I feel like in order to properly understand what is going on would involve looking up every character introduced and reading about their life history which would be a big pain. I'm really looking forward to the official English release though, if it has cultural notes that explain everything I might start following the series that way instead, right now I'm just not sure I want to continue with a series where I'm missing so much of the background needed to understand it.
Old 2011-11-09, 12:03   Link #16
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Just saw the 1st volume in Kinokuniya. Anyone bought it? Are the translation good? Is there some sort of a glossary since Gate 7 include many historical references?

And finally, is Gate 7 any good? I'm a big CLAMP fan, but currently I'm spending my salary on the old stuff (CCS, MKR and X ominbuses) and wanna see if I should save a portion for the new thing.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, romance, shounen, supernatural